Gaming Laptop $700ish

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by bbs lm-r, Dec 13, 2017.

1. bbs lm-r

bbs lm-r Limp Gawd

I've thought about getting my younger brother a laptop for this Christmas. Originally looked for a general purpose rig with highish battery life for schoolwork and whatnot, and came across this HP: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE4N6ME6492&ignorebbr=1

Then thought about something with a somewhat decent gpu since he'll hop on Steam sometimes, I know I've seen him play TF2 for example. This Dell caught my attention for the price: http://www.microcenter.com/product/481826/Inspiron_15_5577_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

I was ready to pull the trigger on the Dell but figured I'd ask for any other suggestions. Features I'd like to retain are an ssd and backlit keyboard. Hoping not to take a real huge hit on battery life with a 'gaming' laptop.

2. KarsusTG

KarsusTG 2[H]4U

I found this on reddit and it actually works...

Lenovo Corporate Store (33% off): Link
    Pass: NJ*PERKSEPP

See if you can find something in there you like.

You can get a Legion Y520 with a 7300HQ chip and RX560 4gb graphics for $660..

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  3. bbs lm-r

bbs lm-r Limp Gawd

So I forgot I posted this... posting an update incase someone finds it helpful. I checked out the Lenovos on there and although cpu/gpu specs were comparable to other laptops, I think I opted against them due to their lower battery life (listed at 4 hours I think) and hdd over ssd. After I posted this, found a nice deal here on a Dell 7577 thanks to another member. Missed the deal though, I let it sit too long in my cart while I kept shopping around. F me.

While shopping around though, found that with the revised 7577 from the older 7567, Dell reduced the battery capacity. Can't recall exact numbers, but I think reviews showed battery life dropping anywhere between 25-40% against the older model.

Ended up with a 7567, albeit with a lower spec 1050ti but feel good with the purchase.

4. Chas

Chas [H]ardness Supreme

I have the optioned out version of the 7567. 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD (with space for another drive (have another 512GB SATA SSD ready to go in there)) and the IPS panel and the 1060.
    Had it since August and it's been pretty solid.
    Granted, I'm ALSO using it for work, so I have a full 4-year service plan on the thing.

5. Greg Watson

Greg Watson [H]Lite