Gaming Laptop ~$1500 Budget

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
hey guys i have a client wanting a gaming machine, does mostly Steam, WOW, saying getting the new Starcraft. I am a Dell reseller so was suggesting the Alienware M15x. Going to the i5 instead of the i3, and going with the ATI 5730 over the GT 240M. My only recommendation to him since I am out of the gaming field was to go with the 3 year warranty.

Any input on the Processor options - i3 vs i5, or the vid card.

Any other brands to look for?

If you're going for a $1,499 Dell laptop for gaming, I'd go with the Alienware M15x with the Intel i5 430 CPU, ATI 5850, and 4GB RAM. Keep the standard 1600x900 screen, 250GB 7,200 RPM HDD and Bluetooth. To build this, you're going to have to start with the Standard build.

I can go other brand wanted optinions, that configuration you listed gets us up to bit higher when you add the 3 year warranty in.

I am very happy with my MSI GX640.

You can start with a i5 450 + HDMobility 5850 for $1149.00 or customize it with a Quad and still be under $1500.

And it comes standard with a 3 year warranty.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the main reason I bought it, it comes with the awsome resolution for an 15" of 1680x1050.

EDIT 2: Another option for under $1500 is this BestBuy version of the Asus G73-JH / i7 Q Processor / ATI M5870 / 17.3" Display / 6GB Memory / 500GB for $1299.00

That one is as fast as it gets (pretty much) but only 1 year warranty. i guess woth the $200 left in the budget you could get an extended warranty.

Last edited:
You could get a steamroller of a sager machine for that money.

The alienwares mentioned are fairly small though. What is this guys size/mobility requirements?

Seriously consider the size. Is it intended to be a movable desktop, or an actual portable machine?

I got an FX-7805u a year or two ago - fantastic machine. Great for the price (when I bought it). But that thing is BIG and HEAVY. Eventually I didn't feel that the effort lugging it around and setting it up was worth the benefit of gaming away from home. It's now acting as an HTPC in my bedroom, with some light gaming options (360 wireless receiver).

I mainly sell to home user and business so getting into the gaming stage makes me feel like i missed so much stuff, but i just dont deal with it enough.

Most of the time the core i3 is fine, but I would imaging stepping up to the Core i5 2.26ghz would be a good choice. Memory I think is fine with 3GB, and the videocard is the default GT 240M good enough to play Steam, the new Starcraft?? Or should I go to the 5730 or 5850??

Thanks!

Back