"Gaming" keyboard?

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got this 'gaming' keyboard. It's all 100% NKRO, and no LEDs. It has dip switches in the back and one of them puts the board into "macro mode." It has it's own on board memory.

It says it's "macro" and "key re-assignable" but I have no idea what they mean by "macro." You can reassign keys, such as swapping F1 with a "T" key if you wanted, but is that really something you would use? I don't think I have ever had the need to reassign keys in all of my 29 years of gaming. And, yuo can do thta with software.

I did not try he macro mode and then hitting several keys to see if it would record them. I guess I should do that, but unless it records them with the delays also, that's not going to be of much use gaming. Sure, you might get a couple of macros to work, but most online games, you really need a delay or the server doesn't pick them up.

So anyway, I'm just wondering what is so gaming about this board besides?

1. Cherry mechanical keys (I got the brown version)
  2. Reassingable keys by dip switch/key strokes
  3. NKRO (full)
  4. Really heavy and robust. I mean this thing weighs more than the IBM model 101M. Feels like it has a steel plate in it.
  5. Switches feel damped and positive.
  6. PBT Double Shot Keycaps
Other than that, $109 bucks?

It has normal Fn keys, it doesn't have macro software, or anything else.

713qzm0XRyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Mistel X-VIII Mechanical Keyboard with Cherry MX Brown Switch,Yellow Letter Glaze Blue PBT DoubleShot Keycap

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Throw the word "gaming" on something and it suddenly makes it better and more expensive, that is all, the better part though is just a claim... :D
That the same conclusion I came to years ago when I first purchased a Logitech G15. At least it had additional F keys on the the the side, where you might think they were more useful. I ended up sending it back and just using a decent, split MS USB keyboard. At least it has Cherry keys and seems like it is built like a proverbial tank. I didn't pay for it or I'd never have gotten it. I can't believe the prices these shit Taiwan keyboards are going for, either. I have another one that is mechanical and Bluetooth/USB and the keys stick when using it with Bluetooth. I mean, Logitech is making shit now too, but at least if it fails in the first 2 years, they replace them quickly. The Chinese will too, but you now Logitech has been around for decades and is here in the US.

Then I have a 35 dollar "normal" wireless keyboard, another Chinese special, dome keys, that works perfectly with Wifi, and I mean rock solid. It's not even marketed as "gaming."

Throw the word "gaming" on something and it suddenly makes it better and more expensive, that is all, the better part though is just a claim... :D
like racing stripes on a car! :)

NKRO kb used to be useful for FPS or other games that require simultaneous multi-key combos. That was originally the only reason I sought one years ago. I don't think it's such an issue any more since most usb kb these days(if I'm not mistaken) can do 6 keys. Some like the programmable keys. Heavy and robust (IMO) is good, and if real Cherry MX switches and not one of the cheaper clones that's a plus too (Cherry MX switches are pricey!).

$109 is a bit much considering question of warranty support and lack of software, but not too far off for a quality mechanical kb with Cherry switches. Guess that 30% extra is the 'gaming' tag premium.

Aside from the cost do you like it?

like racing stripes on a car! :)

NKRO kb used to be useful for FPS or other games that require simultaneous multi-key combos. That was originally the only reason I sought one years ago. I don't think it's such an issue any more since most usb kb these days(if I'm not mistaken) can do 6 keys. Some like the programmable keys. Heavy and robust (IMO) is good, and if real Cherry MX switches and not one of the cheaper clones that's a plus too (Cherry MX switches are pricey!).

$109 is a bit much considering question of warranty support and lack of software, but not too far off for a quality mechanical kb with Cherry switches. Guess that 30% extra is the 'gaming' tag premium.

Aside from the cost do you like it?
Yeah it's really nice, but the Cherry MX Brown switches are suppose to have "tactile" feedback, but they don't. I don't feel any click when pushing them. The switches feel thick and make a clunk/dampened sound not a click sound when you bottom them out. Of course I could probably put the O rings into any keys and have them feel dampened.

I contacted the reseller to ask if the keyboard actually supports a series of keys in "macro" mode or just the remapping of keys (waiting on that). Anyway, on board non-software macros are ok for normal computing, but for gaming, you really need a macro program that allows delays. For normal computing, the non-delay macros would be fine for someone who does tons of data entry. But, you can do that with software too. To me, an on board macro function is silly, and that goes for on board key remapping too. Just use software.

It's so heavy that it's hard to one hand over to the table when i get up. I mean, it really is tank like. but that could just be a metal plate too, and nothing to do with quality. In any event, it's there when I need it, if my "normal" wifi board stops working--another no name Taiwan special. The thing is, you can get a Logitech mechanical board for 60 bucks. Sure, they use their own mechanical switches, but at least you know you can get it replaced without an fuss.

I also have two of these:

NACODEX sold by AJAZZ
71AgENy9i5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
My Review Link

I got the knock off Blue switches on these and they really click nicely. They feel lively and responsive with a nice, light click to them.

It's USB C wired and BT 3.0, but on both boards, the BT function doesn't work well for me. I get stuck on keys, sometimes drops connection and won't pair, and once had the CTRL button stick on. When it is plugged in, it works perfectly and it has knock off Cherry Blue switches that feel just like, uh, Cherry blue switches. If the BT worked on it, it would be my main board. It is also built really well, feels right and solid. You can turn the LED's completely off. I'm not a fan of the built in batteries though. This is comes with a built in Lithium 2000mA battery, but two rechargeable NiMh AA batteries have 4000 mA hours, and i can just pop new ones in instead of having to charge the internal battery.

Wired, they work perfectly. So, I have two wired 'gaming' boards lol.

Again, didn't pay for them. Th seller sent me another board to try for free, but the BT sucks on both. He said he and the tech are both sing them and have no problems with the BT function. I don't care. I know how that shit goes, and my conclusion is their BT transmitter is shit.

And then I have one of these too:

SHAVA TKL Mechanical Gaming

71PQoTqoelL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Again, works well but the keys don't impress me, but they work fine. I got the Brown option, and no tactile feed back from them, either.

When these boards came available for request, I was keyboard poor so I kinda panicked and requested them, just so I'd have a backup. I had, at the time, and old Logitech wireless that i aid 10 dollars for and that has input lag, and then an 8 dollar wired special from Fry's, lol. I was like, WTF? am I doing, I need a keyboard!

Funny that I am not using the "better" gaming boards, and I'm using a 30 dollar wireless short throw nonmechanical key keyboard that came as a mouse keyboard combo (mouse is shit), and I like it better than all of the rest. it uses AAs too, and the wireless has been perfect with no input lag at all. I actually got two of theses types and both work great wireless.

KB1 with shit mouse, but board works great
KB2 Good board,solid wifi connection.

in any event, I guess I'm set for boards now.

Last edited:
Reactions: maro
like this
Yeah, brown switches "drop" into a groove and then come back up smoothly. It's very subtle, there's no click and hardly what I'd call a bump. I like'em, but I haven't tried any other, so I don't know what I'm missing. lol

Like the colors of OPs board, layout is standard, eh. Dunno if I'd like that texture, though.

Yeah, brown switches "drop" into a groove and then come back up smoothly. It's very subtle, there's no click and hardly what I'd call a bump. I like'em, but I haven't tried any other, so I don't know what I'm missing. lol

Like the colors of OPs board, layout is standard, eh. Dunno if I'd like that texture, though.
They have this color scheme, but it was not available for us to review.
71zVyQUfzgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Of course I could buy key caps and get it close, but then that's another 20-50 bucks. No thanks. I could find the white keys and teh orange ones. However, neither have orange test on them. Even the cheap caps woud cost me 30+ to get it near like this, and then no idea if the caps would have the same angles, either. I'd actually have to buy Cherry Key Caps. And, as you all know, that's probably as much as the keyboard itself.

Just got a reply back from the seller and he said that the board will record macros, but no delay between them. Probably very limited use for gaming.

And then I have one of these too:

SHAVA TKL Mechanical Gaming

429161_71PQoTqoelL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Again, works well but the keys don't impress me, but they work fine. I got the Brown option, and no tactile feed back from them, either.

I really like the layout of this one. As someone who utilizes the numpad fairly often but really doesn't have any use for insert, home, etc. This seems like a great way to save a little space and keep a numpad.

Not planning on buying a new keyboard for a couple years though, hopefully. I've noticed that I like reds better than browns myself. The little bump does absolutely nothing for me.

For the OP, I spent $109 on my HyperX Elite Alloy 2 which i'm super happy with. Especially happy with the software that came with it, has a billion options and full macro support, not that I use many macros these days.
https://www.hyperxgaming.com/united...perx-alloy-elite-2-mechanical-gaming-keyboard

It was also around the cost of the GMMK I got my wife, which is way more customizable (can custom choose switches, etc.) but the software for it is far more finicky. I think it also has full macro support, but i haven't messed with it as much.
https://www.pcgamingrace.com/collections/keyboard

Last edited:
I really like the layout of this one. As someone who utulizes the numpad fairly often but really doesn't have any use for insert, home, etc. This seems like a great way to save a little space and keep a numpad.

Not planning on buying a new keyboard for a couple years though, hopefully. I've noticed that I like reds better than browns myself. The little bump does absolutely nothing for me.

For the OP, I spent $109 on my HyperX Elite Alloy 2 which i'm super happy with. Especially happy with the software that came with it, has a billion options and full macro support, not that I use many macros these days.
https://www.hyperxgaming.com/united...perx-alloy-elite-2-mechanical-gaming-keyboard

It was also around the cost of the GMMK I got my wife, which is way more customizable (can custom choose switches, etc.) but the software for it is far more finicky. I think it also has full macro support, but i haven't messed withit as much.
https://www.pcgamingrace.com/collections/keyboard
Exactly what I am saying about that board I received. Way too expensive for what it is. It's just basically a normal keyboard with Cherry switches, but really heavy duty--unless they just included a steel plate in it for heft. You need a god macro software to go with an 'gaming' keyboard. I'd much rather have thta HyperX Elite Alloy 2 than the one I ave, especially since it's 89.00 on amazon right now.

Exactly what I am saying about that board I received. Way too expensive for what it is. It's just basically a normal keyboard with Cherry switches, but really heavy duty--unless they just included a steel plate in it for heft. You need a god macro software to go with an 'gaming' keyboard. I'd much rather have thta HyperX Elite Alloy 2 than the one I ave, especially since it's 89.00 on amazon right now.
Yeah exactly!!!

The gaming label is mainly marketing though programmable keys are really nice, for around that price a few months ago (I haven't checked recently) Mistel also sells a split keyboard called the "barocco"; for me personally for around that price range of slightly above 100USD, getting something like a split keyboard is worth it just for that feature alongside with NKRO & programmable keys. If any users happen to not care about the bling such as programmable keys and want kailh box switches I happened to chance upon this keyboard from Hexgears, even though prices have risen for their budget keyboards, this link on ebay has an okay price which I cannot find anywhere else for a new keyboard with kailh box switches outside of China.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/K735-Redst...118567?hash=item3666559467:g:zNcAAOSwUGlfB7WD

This specific keyboard comes with Kailh Box White switches which in case if there are any who don't know, they are sort of like Cherry Mx Blues but with less wobble & double the click (when you let go of the key). If the stabilizers is not satisfactory, you can buy some cheap dielectric grease and sloppily lube the stabs from the outside (Saving the need to buy a soldering kit, solder, and the time spent on a cheap keyboard). I've been using this budget keyboard for a few months and it's serviceable, has white lights & some rainbow colors around the edge if you like lights though I have that all disabled. Apparently Hex gears also offer a hotswap tenkeyless keyboard which is around 50USD, though if you have patience waiting for a sale is nice as that keyboard went as low as ~36USD which is really nice for a hotswap keyboard with Kailh Box switches.

As for the Mistel it seems fine and is similar to the keyboards from Ducky, Varmilo, Leopold, etc. The rest of the users suggesting keyboards around that price range with various Cherry Mx switches are all nice choices too.

TLDR; OP's keyboard is fine, he/she got a 104 key keyboard with Cherry Mx Browns, PBT double shot keycaps, and the whole shebang you'd get from such a keyboard. If such smaller features don't matter and you just want to clack clack clack there are of course other options too (Which I gave one link to that I currently use), or if you want a split keyboard too which OP's keyboard brand also has such offerings.

Cheers!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The "gaming" part is irrelevant. What you want is a mechanical keyboard, everything else is just fluff.

I have a Logitech G413 which is an entry level mechanical keyboard and even this one is night and day compared to most other membrane keyboards i've owned, even some that i paid pretty much the same price for. The tactical sensation is great, underneath the keys it has a solid plate of metal (aluminum i think) and the whole keyboard just screams solidity. Had for two years and i never felt i needed more, but perhaps if i tried some of the "features" of the more premium models i may change my mind.

The "gaming" part is irrelevant. What you want is a mechanical keyboard, everything else is just fluff.

I have a Logitech G413 which is an entry level mechanical keyboard and even this one is night and day compared to most other membrane keyboards i've owned, even some that i paid pretty much the same price for. The tactical sensation is great, underneath the keys it has a solid plate of metal (aluminum i think) and the whole keyboard just screams solidity. Had for two years and i never felt i needed more, but perhaps if i tried some of the "features" of the more premium models i may change my mind.
I should have said also that I'm looking for a wireless board, not BT, but wireless.

I thought it was impossible to do NKRO on USB. Has that changed? I specifically bought, and still use a PS/2 mechanical keyboard for this reason.

I thought it was impossible to do NKRO on USB. Has that changed? I specifically bought, and still use a PS/2 mechanical keyboard for this reason.
My MB doesn't even have a serial PS2 port. PS/2 only supported a max sampling rate of 200 Hz. USB is up to 1 kHz. In boot mode, like in your BIOS, you have USB as a 6 key rollover. I mean, really, do we need to mash more than 6 keys at one time? I think mostly NKRO is a gimmick, just like 20,000000000000000000000000000000000000 dpi is. I usually never go over 1100 dpi. But, I'm not a twitch gamer, either.

My MB doesn't even have a serial PS2 port. PS/2 only supported a max sampling rate of 200 Hz. USB is up to 1 kHz. In boot mode, like in your BIOS, you have USB as a 6 key rollover. I mean, really, do we need to mash more than 6 keys at one time? I think mostly NKRO is a gimmick, just like 20,000000000000000000000000000000000000 dpi is. I usually never go over 1100 dpi. But, I'm not a twitch gamer, either.
I've had to in some emulators. In dance games I've used 4+ at once. Other than that, not often. Still nice to have the option, though.

I still use an IBM Model M. :D I keep thinking I ought to pick up one of those blank Das Keyboards though. Use it at home until I really have it down, then take it into the office.

I am a big fan of gaming mice though. The funny thing is not so much for gaming. I'm an RPG and strategy gamer, so I don't need super accurate like people playing a competitive FPS. They tend to work better than cheap mice of course, and I also like the extra buttons and the buttons to slow down or speed up the mouse. Those buttons are handy when using something like an image editor. You can slow the mouse way down which makes high precision mousing a lot easier. Also having a side button mapped to "back" (like in a web browser, etc.) is a must for me. I think I'm addicted. I start getting withdrawal symptoms if I use a mouse that only has two buttons and a wheel.

I still use an IBM Model M. :D I keep thinking I ought to pick up one of those blank Das Keyboards though. Use it at home until I really have it down, then take it into the office.

I am a big fan of gaming mice though. The funny thing is not so much for gaming. I'm an RPG and strategy gamer, so I don't need super accurate like people playing a competitive FPS. They tend to work better than cheap mice of course, and I also like the extra buttons and the buttons to slow down or speed up the mouse. Those buttons are handy when using something like an image editor. You can slow the mouse way down which makes high precision mousing a lot easier. Also having a side button mapped to "back" (like in a web browser, etc.) is a must for me. I think I'm addicted. I start getting withdrawal symptoms if I use a mouse that only has two buttons and a wheel.
I have had copy/paste bound to mouse buttons for nearly a decade and I don't think I could do without them. So absolutely wonderful for doing any sort of editing or database work.

I have had copy/paste bound to mouse buttons for nearly a decade and I don't think I could do without them. So absolutely wonderful for doing any sort of editing or database work.
My left hand is hardwired to do that with the keyboard. :p Been that way since the '90s.

PS2 devices technically don't do polling like USB devices, they send "interrupt" signal to the system which mean their "polling" rate is infinite.

PS2 devices technically don't do polling like USB devices, they send "interrupt" signal to the system which mean their "polling" rate is infinite.
Well, as fast as the processor can respond to the interrupt, which could be immediately, or in a cycle or two, depending on what it's doing. On a 200hz processor, that'd be 5-10ms...I think.

The major difference between that and polling, is the USB device (driver) would queue up every input until it gets time to read out the inputs, whereas the ps/2 input would interrupt whatever is going on and immediately send the inputs, which may either be used, queued, or ignored.

Back