Gaming Journalism Is Over

I didn't remember the exact number, just that it was in the 70s. But like you guys said though, that hardly matters anymore, unless you're gonna go around saying "I TOLD YOU SO!" But yea, like I said, there isn't much else I can think of beside society influences, which I talked about earlier.

The wage thing has been debunked.

The second thing is a problem because, shockingly, some jobs are simply not as interesting to women, so it is silly to demand an equal percentage of hirings and such.

sources?

Just Google it. It has been debunked. This is coming from a Democrat.

I don't search for other people's sources. Just because I can google that it's debunked doesn't make it so. It may not be true in all areas, but in engineering and S/W, it's sadly true. I have friends who are smart, well educated, experienced, talented and didn't have kids and they still made less and didn't get promoted. Hell, even the Wall Street Journal agrees you can't hand wave away all the differences: http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2013/09/17/male-female-pay-gap-hasnt-moved-much-in-years/

I think the Slate nailed the entire issue in this recent article.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...sts_declare_the_gamers_are_over_but_they.html

Cuts through the bullshit and straight to the point and that's gaming journalists are growing increasingly unreliable and unnecessary in a market where opinions and impressions are no longer the domain of "gaming journalists".

Its reasonable to think they are threatened by this. Look at Kotaku for example , use to write only about Asian video game/anime/manga trends. Now its full of weird opinion pieces and hype articles about everything. Sometimes its just ramblings of editors with nothing to talk about but themselves and some kind of correlation to whatever they are agitated by.

I'm reading these web sites less and less. Some of them have really taken a weird stance against their audiences even though they act like they simply are not doing so. Posting semi-hostile articles about what's "wrong" with their audience is self-defeating. You can't do that and expect well mannered feedback. Some of them are standing in the middle of Twitter arguments and throwing out half baked retorts that accomplish nothing but instead focus the beam of hate towards their direction. Its like ringing the dinner bell while you are watching your neighbors get mauled to death by bears , as if the mere thought of getting attention from the same animals might garner a similar outcome and will equal not being "left out".

I think Youtube/Twitch are making these sites kind of redundant. Other than actually liking that editors out look or opinion on a subject you really don't have a lot of reasons to go visit these sites. Twitter is a better parser of information that comes down the pipe and Youtube/Twitch react much faster as well to immediate news in the industry. Reviews are becoming an outdated practice when you can watch someone play the game and experience their experience in real time versus an impression and a canned "yes" or "no" recommendation.

Gaming journalism died many years ago. I stopped reading reviews altogether about 10 decade ago. The whole industry has turned into shit as it became mainstream. Lots of film "critics" started writing about games and it shows.

Journalism as a whole is dead. It is no more. Big media don't want true journalism any more. It's all about PR presented as news. In every field. From politics to gaming.

Ya, but this is like the first tim eyou see it on such a big scale. Multiple sites are in on it, censorship, and people are actually listening in.

That gamespot stuff was kind of big, but it didn't go far. The guy got fired, and nothing else. This time, they're trying to cover it with even more fuck ups. It's great! I'm also loving the sjw basically getting a ton of coverage on how incredibly stupid they are. I always knew it, but just didn't know by how much.

Can't help it, but i love it when trashy people get dragged through the mud.

Its reasonable to think they are threatened by this. Look at Kotaku for example , use to write only about Asian video game/anime/manga trends. Now its full of weird opinion pieces and hype articles about everything. Sometimes its just ramblings of editors with nothing to talk about but themselves and some kind of correlation to whatever they are agitated by.

It's not just video games but cultural blogging in general. What you describe could apply to pretty much any site on the Gawker network from io9 to Deadspin. Then you've got blogs that those same people started like Topless Robot. For about the last 4-5 years there has been a shift towards long-winded personal stories or ramblings, droning musings on concepts in video games and how they relate towards life, and social justice pieces demanding more women/non-whites/non-straights/non-Christians/non-(fill-in-the-blank).

I quit reading most of them a couple of years ago because I could neither handle that shit, nor the sections of comments that have become nothing but echo chambers due to the mob mentality. Want to find out what video games are coming out and how good they are? Find some decent Youtube channels. They're your best bet. Go to a gaming blog and all you'll get is some 8-page diatribe about how some moron remembered playing Banjo-Kazooie when he was in middle school and how it helped him realize he was transsexual.

So, where do the denizens of [H] go for gaming news, besides [H] itself?

So far, the only site I've found to be free of endless diatribes about Rape Culture and The Patriarchy is Giant Bomb.

So far, the only site I've found to be free of endless diatribes about Rape Culture and The Patriarchy is Giant Bomb.

YouTube and Twitch..where people who actually give a damn about games are playing and talking about them.

I only want the press releases, so [H] is good enough for me ;). Other than that I only watch TotalBiscuit (TotalHalibut) on Youtube, and still occasionally watch Yahtzee on The Escapist nowadays. I've been so sick of the politics and corruption in video games reporting and "journalism" for a long time now. The recent string of diatribe has just reinforced my cynicism.

Youtube. Look for those whose channels aren't incredibly obnoxious. Two of my favorites are TotalBiscuit and FrankieOnPCin1080P, as well as RoosterTeeth.

I actually used to like reading review sites. In the last years I've found them to have become utter crap. Youtube is the way to go if you want to have an idea whether or not you'll enjoy the game before shelling out some dough and not have to suffer opinion pieces no one gives a damn about.

You left out how hard it is to be an attractive person in the modern world. So much prejudice against attractive people. :rolleyes:

What's really interesting is whenever anyone makes this kind of statement about any group, the statement itself is an indication of prejudice on the part of the writer. They're assuming anyone with a certain characteristic never experiences prejudice.

Because there are apparently no attractive women. Or attractive black people. Or attractive Jews or Muslims. Or attractive homosexuals. Because everyone knows that your entire lot in life is based on one goddamned characteristic.

Bill Gates is ugly as shit, by the way.

I personally thought that the 1990s Bill Gates was kinda hot. Then again, maybe it was the money because I remember saying to one of my friends that Steve Ballmer would be a good catch too as long as you didn't hafta crawl in bed with him.

I personally thought that the 1990s Bill Gates was kinda hot. Then again, maybe it was the money because I remember saying to one of my friends that Steve Ballmer would be a good catch too as long as you didn't hafta crawl in bed with him.

*shutters* Could you imagine the sweat off of that guy!? :eek:

steve-ballmer-sweat.jpg

SEXY!!!!1

By the same token I've never have seen an unequal pay claim where they made an effort to factor out seniority, education, or experience. More importantly the actual work.
Then you aren't reading academic journals on the topic.
Also, it's important to note that seniority, education, and experience are all part of the gendered work experience so that makes it more difficult to find direct comparisons.

Women have historically been excluded from education opportunities, excluded from being hired in certain sectors, and excluded from being promoted. So when you compare CEO salaries in 2014 between women and men, even if they seem to be relatively close, you'll still have to discuss the fact that women, who comprise a numerical majority of our population but remain a social minority group, are disproportionately not in CEO positions. That fact is also part of the gender gap in wage equality.

The gender pay gap hasn't been "debunked" but what actually has happened in the past twenty years is male wages have dropped so the gender pay differential has narrowed.

What's really interesting is whenever anyone makes this kind of statement about any group, the statement itself is an indication of prejudice on the part of the writer. They're assuming anyone with a certain characteristic never experiences prejudice.

Because there are apparently no attractive women. Or attractive black people. Or attractive Jews or Muslims. Or attractive homosexuals. Because everyone knows that your entire lot in life is based on one goddamned characteristic.

Bill Gates is ugly as shit, by the way.

I didn't say any of that. I simply said being white is not a disadvantage and that reverse racism is so small it's not worth the uproar it gets. Likewise, it's rarely a disadvantage to be attractive.

Then you aren't reading academic journals on the topic.
Also, it's important to note that seniority, education, and experience are all part of the gendered work experience so that makes it more difficult to find direct comparisons.

Women have historically been excluded from education opportunities, excluded from being hired in certain sectors, and excluded from being promoted. So when you compare CEO salaries in 2014 between women and men, even if they seem to be relatively close, you'll still have to discuss the fact that women, who comprise a numerical majority of our population but remain a social minority group, are disproportionately not in CEO positions. That fact is also part of the gender gap in wage equality.

The gender pay gap hasn't been "debunked" but what actually has happened in the past twenty years is male wages have dropped so the gender pay differential has narrowed.

Brainwashing at work gentlemen.

You seem to have missed a few facts in your "argument":

1. Women tend to work fewer hours than men

2. Women are concentrated in social, as opposed to technical, fields which tend to pay less.

etc. Look it up for yourself from neutral sources without "social justice" agendas and a huge incentive to fabricate or exaggerate data. Learn a little. Or you could continue to be a "champion for equal pay" in the face of all reason.

A female engineer makes as much as a male engineer for the same number of hours, within the margin of error. Even the typical SJW generally doesn't argue with this anymore.

Not his sweaty money! :eek:

YESSSSS his sweaty money! So much sweaty money to buy kitty treats and nice laptops!

2. Women are concentrated in social, as opposed to technical, fields which tend to pay less.

Paying less to professionals in social fields could be interpreted as an evil male plot to devalue the work because there are so many women doing it.

I didn't say any of that. I simply said being white is not a disadvantage...

Thanks for confirming my point. You see being white as something that brings only good things. That's prejudice, no matter how you want to slice it.

Thanks for confirming my point. You see being white as something that brings only good things. That's prejudice, no matter how you want to slice it.

I really understand the point you are making, but I also understand his point. Nilepez Is just saying that it is not a disadvantage, or advantage, to being "white" or "attractive," but it doesn't hurt either. Initially he didn't say white, but his "prejudice" lead him down this path. ( I say this because I don't feel he was speaking maliciously) We are in the "gray" area of any discussion.

Middle ground seriously helps in any conflict. Seek balance? :D

Nilepez Is just saying that it is not a disadvantage, or advantage, to being "white" or "attractive," but it doesn't hurt either.

So you(and supposedly he) are saying it's not an advantage, but it's an advantage. You're also saying it's not a disadvantage, and it's not a disadvantage.

Try again.

Hmm....<picks up mirror>. Nope, I'm still white and I'm still not discriminated against as much as people of color. But I guess you are. Maybe it's because your face is perfectly symmetrical.

A female engineer makes as much as a male engineer for the same number of hours, within the margin of error. Even the typical SJW generally doesn't argue with this anymore.
No, they don't. And you're misusing "margin of error" indicating how much you're talking out your ass here.

Hmm....<picks up mirror>. Nope, I'm still white and I'm still not discriminated against as much as people of color.

Wait...if you're the only white person, what am I? I'm going with "Vanilla Cream".

Back