Gaming Journalism Is Over

If he didn't diss anime I'd agree with everything he said. Then again I guess what he's getting at is there being an anime article on a "gaming news" site... but the general wording still seemed to express his disdain for anime. Hence I don't like him. >=\

Adding onto this... not that I read gaming articles anyway. To me they always seemed to just be hype trains. I just go watch youtube videos of any game I'm interested in, but I generally hear it from friends if anything, or see it in a Steam sale or something. I also don't watch TV, so I never have up to date info on anything! Whoo.

what isn't mentioned is that before #gamersgate there was #quinnspiracy where zoe quinn basically fucked everyone in the indy game scene including some people in the gaming press to gain popularity and money. it's a giant circle jerk that also includes anita sarkeesian. check out the "internetaristocrat" on youtube, he compiled some good info on that subject. after #quinnspiracy this thing exploded because gaming sites tried to sweep it under the rug and started to attack gamers with accusations of misogyny and how degenerated gamers are compared to the pinnacle of evolution that is "gaming journalists" (that like to fuck zoe quinn)

It's odd to see people sticking the pound/hash thing in front of words without proper spacing.

Anyway, nothing Zoe is accused of having done by her ex-boyfriend has been proven. It's just been him claiming she did stuff (of course AFTER she dumped him) which says to me that nothing ever happened and her boyfriend is just like every other human waste pile that most girls end up dating at least once before they swear off dealing with men forever.

^Actually, I believe internetaristocrat's vid had some info on one of the writers admitting to having relations with zoe a day after he wrote about her game. And so, the guy claims, there is nothing wrong there.

I also believe that the boyfriend has vids of him pulling up his chat/fb stuff to show you the chat logs he posted. I didn't look into it myself, but I am hating the SJW BS that's ruining creativity... and I can readily believe it.

Internet aristocrat also mentioned about a picture about their accounts being hacked. Where the picture is of the same day, where they were on 4chan, and such.

Sounds like they got some evidence. Not on every one and everything, but when one thing is real and the rest seem in character with it, it's hard to doubt.

^Actually, I believe internetaristocrat's vid had some info on one of the writers admitting to having relations with zoe a day after he wrote about her game. And so, the guy claims, there is nothing wrong there.

I also believe that the boyfriend has vids of him pulling up his chat/fb stuff to show you the chat logs he posted. I didn't look into it myself, but I am hating the SJW BS that's ruining creativity... and I can readily believe it.

Internet aristocrat also mentioned about a picture about their accounts being hacked. Where the picture is of the same day, where they were on 4chan, and such.

Sounds like they got some evidence. Not on every one and everything, but when one thing is real and the rest seem in character with it, it's hard to doubt.

That's new news to me. If it really is true, then yup, she deserves all the abuse she's getting from everyone. I guess I have some catching up to do on Zoe.

Sorry to temujin987 for the mistake and rant- posts. :)

Women are still discriminated against in the US

Really? How so?

We're saying that people overreact to a POTENTIAL scandal involving a female, and underreact to much larger and DEFINITE scandals involving males and large corporations, and that's not okay.

Please, stop with the strawmanning. This was never about her being female or having sex. Also, it is way past Zoe Quinn and a much broader and more important issue.

Am I the only one who simply wants a gaming journalist to inform me as to whether a game is worth my $60? Does it have good music? Is it optimized for PC? That's what I want to know.

All the progressive politics being merged with gaming discussion is quite strange to me.

The worst ever for "buying" reviews

So if that's true, then why not one word of condemnation for the males who happily traded away their intergrity for pussy?? That doesn't seem odd at all!!! :rolleyes:

Held to a standard, suddenly standard disappears. Excuse in every pocket for "our team"

So if that's true, then why not one word of condemnation for the males who happily traded away their intergrity for pussy?? That doesn't seem odd at all!!! :rolleyes:

notsureifserious-jpg.64335

Really? How so?

Women are supposedly getting 70 cents for every dollar a man makes. The problem with this is, there are too many variables. Maybe the women aren't as good, but the company needs to hire women to "not" discriminate.

There probably are discrimination against women, but how much is up for debate imo. It could be a lot more than we think or not as much as we think. One thing that was news to me (when i first heard it) is that women on video game covers has to be asked for. Game devs have to go to their publisher to demand it or else it'd be a guy on the cover. Jimquisition did an episode on this.

If you have been reading, they are. Why do you think gaming journalism is attacked as well as zoe quinn?

Women are supposedly getting 70 cents for every dollar a man makes. The problem with this is, there are too many variables. Maybe the women aren't as good, but the company needs to hire women to "not" discriminate.

The wage thing has been debunked.

The second thing is a problem because, shockingly, some jobs are simply not as interesting to women, so it is silly to demand an equal percentage of hirings and such.

The second thing is a problem because, shockingly, some jobs are simply not as interesting to women, so it is silly to demand an equal percentage of hirings and such.

What I want to know is where's the outrage over the shockingly low percentage of female day laborers, or female plumbers, or female concrete workers, or female asphalt layers, or female roofers, or female janitors, etc....

Seems like it's only a problem when it comes to office jobs.

What I want to know is where's the outrage over the shockingly low percentage of female day laborers, or female plumbers, or female concrete workers, or female asphalt layers, or female roofers, or female janitors, etc....

Seems like it's only a problem when it comes to office jobs.

They aren't very vocal about draft exclusion either, but, hey, patriarchy®©.

Didn't know that it was debunked. That's the only thing I know of when it's talked about. I know people mentioning sexist jokes, but I don't think those are sexist or what not. If women, weren't there, the joke would still be told, and it would just be for fun, not to intentionally affect women, or other.

Technically, its not that its not interesting to women, but because how society raise women to think. That's my belief on that.

Am I the only one who simply wants a gaming journalist to inform me as to whether a game is worth my $60? Does it have good music? Is it optimized for PC? That's what I want to know.

All the progressive politics being merged with gaming discussion is quite strange to me.

Strange, unnecessary, and in most cases, unwanted. I don't need a gaming reviewer to tell me whether I should feel guilty for wanting to play a certain game; I just want a breakdown of how the game performs, whether it glitches, what the features are, whether cinematics contribute to or disrupt the flow of the game, etc.

It isn't so unlike regular journalism, in fact. I don't really care what your opinion is, Mr. or Ms. Journalist; just give me the facts and I will sort through them myself.

To me, that was the day video game reviews died.
I haven't been able to read an article without thinking how tainted and bought it must be since then.

I think it was before that, but yea.. to me that was when professional reviews die. I still listen and watch TB and Yahtzee stuff. And I usually agree with their assessment, usually...

Didn't know that it was debunked. That's the only thing I know of when it's talked about.

www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2012/04/16/its-time-that-we-end-the-equal-pay-myth/
www.aei.org/article/society-and-culture/race-and-gender/no-women-dont-make-less-money-than-men/

Technically, its not that its not interesting to women, but because how society raise women to think. That's my belief on that.

That is not true. Society didn't influence women, biology influenced society. Take a look at this great documentary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LRdW8xw70

To me, that was the day video game reviews died.
I haven't been able to read an article without thinking how tainted and bought it must be since then.

Agreed. How gaming journalism didn't die then and there, I don't understand.

I know of that argument on biology. And it's true, but it doesn't mean that it's the entire thing. Society greatly influence how women (and men) react, likes, and behave. And a lot of society expect and is geared for women to act a certain way.

Watch the documentary. They had a study about male-female interests in societies around the globe. And even infants show differences in basic interests. It's a non issue.

Watch the documentary. They had a study about male-female interests in societies around the globe. And even infants show differences in basic interests. It's a non issue.

Yeah its pretty obvious that biology dictates a lot about how male/females act, especially when you are raising kids. Its funny to me that people still dont get how much influence basic biology has, I mean if it was all nurture and society than are some people gay? Why do some boys raised by straight men, who for their entire childhoods are raised with boyish stuff end up liking girly things and being gay when they are older? And vice versa.

That's new news to me. If it really is true, then yup, she deserves all the abuse she's getting from everyone. I guess I have some catching up to do on Zoe.

Sorry to temujin987 for the mistake and rant- posts. :)

Indeed, the editor in chief of Kotaku posted to his Twitter feed shortly after this whole thing went down stating (and I paraphrase) "Grayson and I had a chat, and anything that went down, if it even happened, did so after any coverage of the game in question [Depression Quest], after which time he recused himself of covering her and the game."

Grayson stated "It's none of anybody's business what went down" numerous times.

Quinn states the same thing.

Nobody is denying shit. If that isn't guilt of the purported charges, I don't know what else would convince somebody other than a complete written confession.

On a weird side not not at all related to the rest of my post, this is the first place I've seen the letters "SJW" tossed around and last week I had to go searching the Intertubes to even figure out that it means.

Tossing out a label that can be boiled down to the first letter of each word just to parade loudly against it is no different than parading loudly for it. Being anti-SJW is just screaming for a different kind of social justice. Therefore, most people that soapbox decry someone as a SJW are just more SJWs with an opposing agenda. So before attaching a negative connotation to the idea, look in the mirror and ask yourself if your own agenda and approach is actually any different.

(It's also sad that so many people who are supposed to have life experience and wisdom imparted by their aged state need to be reminded of how little difference there is between them and the people they're attempting to insult.)

It's all very old and basic: the cycle of bullying. The anti-SJW movement is the reaction to the anti-bullying movement that started in 2010 with the suicide of Tyler Clementi.

It's all very old and basic: the cycle of bullying. The anti-SJW movement is the reaction to the anti-bullying movement that started in 2010 with the suicide of Tyler Clementi.

Aww. Were you bullied as a kid? Did it color your worldview?

Guess what: I was bullied and so were many kids. It's bullshit, but it's a natural part of human existence. I never bullied anyone (was always stronger than my peers, so I could have) because I never felt like it was right.

Anti-SJW has nothing to do with the bullies in any case. It's a rational backlash against PC bullshit, reverse racism against whites, third-wave victim feminism, etc. It's individualist and pro-equality. The hypocritical hatred and vitriol coming from SJW and their allies spawned the anti-SJW movement. Blame yourself, evilsofa.

I didn't watch the whole thing, I will at one point because it's interesting. But even the guy at the end say it's not strictly biology, but don't ignore it.

I didn't watch the whole thing, I will at one point because it's interesting. But even the guy at the end say it's not strictly biology, but don't ignore it.
I've seen it before, the conclusion is that its biological first and foremost, and then society can indoctrinate, however, a study of hundreds of thousands among different cultures and historical studies show that all these independent cultures developed parallel generic gender roles which means culture was reinforcing a natural biological effect. The question is really just one of degree, and that is what we've seen shifts in and varies somewhat by culture. Ironically, the more developed and free an individual is to pursue their interests with lots of opportunities without economic restraints (where someone does a job just for the money, not because they enjoy it), the greater the gap on male and female interests are expressed. Unfortunately, a minority of very vocal social engineers are ignoring this to promote an ideology, and they quickly realize that accessing the media gives them that voice to push their agenda.

The problem is, once the media monopoly starts to disintegrate, the less and less the "silent majority" has to put up with them and ultimately rejects them when alternative information sources become available.

That is what is happening with gaming journalism in a nut shell. The social-engineering evangelists that entered into gaming-journalism, often with only mild actual interest in the subject, have completely alienated their audience for some time now, and the magnifying glass on the blatant corruption was enough to finally put it over the boiling point.

Oh, I have no doubt about that. These people clearly do not have an actual interest in gaming. Likewise, I always thought gaming journalist were a bunch of dishonest idiots, at the very least, since the GameSpot review incident. Though, until this incident, I didn't know how bad it is. And man, was I surprised at how many websites and people were involved in censorship and blatant stupidity.

I'm very glad that the recent occurrence picked up to the pace, because it really shines the light where it needs to be. Hopefully, this will lead to something better, and less corruptible.

In any case, I never said that Biology doesn't play a big part. I don't know exactly how big, but it is not absolute. If it were, men and women would still play the roles of medieval time where women wouldn't be in business. It's not as prominent, but society definitely has a strong effect. Strong enough, I believe, to alter the biological senses in a big way. It also depends on the parents, who would play a big part in their lives and where they can or are willing to aim towards.

I've seen it before, the conclusion is that its biological first and foremost, and then society can indoctrinate, however, a study of hundreds of thousands among different cultures and historical studies show that all these independent cultures developed parallel generic gender roles which means culture was reinforcing a natural biological effect. The question is really just one of degree, and that is what we've seen shifts in and varies somewhat by culture. Ironically, the more developed and free an individual is to pursue their interests with lots of opportunities without economic restraints (where someone does a job just for the money, not because they enjoy it), the greater the gap on male and female interests are expressed. Unfortunately, a minority of very vocal social engineers are ignoring this to promote an ideology, and they quickly realize that accessing the media gives them that voice to push their agenda.

The problem is, once the media monopoly starts to disintegrate, the less and less the "silent majority" has to put up with them and ultimately rejects them when alternative information sources become available.

That is what is happening with gaming journalism in a nut shell. The social-engineering evangelists that entered into gaming-journalism, often with only mild actual interest in the subject, have completely alienated their audience for some time now, and the magnifying glass on the blatant corruption was enough to finally put it over the boiling point.

That correlation doesn't follow at all, and you can't make such a sweeping claim in a 30 minute youtube documentary without grossly oversimplifying cultures and cherry picking when and where, which is exactly what the documentary does.

Anti-SJW has nothing to do with the bullies in any case. It's a rational backlash against PC bullshit, reverse racism against whites, third-wave victim feminism, etc. It's individualist and pro-equality. The hypocritical hatred and vitriol coming from SJW and their allies spawned the anti-SJW movement. Blame yourself, evilsofa.

So the backlash attempts to undo what's been done which is just a different kind of "social justice" that aims to restore the status quo of discrimination based on skin color and socially acceptable sexual harassment and assault. Isn't there enough of that stuff in backwards, third world nations and southern US states that we don't need to promote those outdated, barbaric things in modern society?

So the backlash attempts to undo what's been done which is just a different kind of "social justice" that aims to restore the status quo of discrimination based on skin color and socially acceptable sexual harassment and assault. Isn't there enough of that stuff in backwards, third world nations and southern US states that we don't need to promote those outdated, barbaric things in modern society?

And that'll be an F for reading comprehension...

A good article, nice to see someone acknowledge that the diminishing audience is not the audience's fault.

Strange, unnecessary, and in most cases, unwanted. I don't need a gaming reviewer to tell me whether I should feel guilty for wanting to play a certain game; I just want a breakdown of how the game performs, whether it glitches, what the features are, whether cinematics contribute to or disrupt the flow of the game, etc.

It isn't so unlike regular journalism, in fact. I don't really care what your opinion is, Mr. or Ms. Journalist; just give me the facts and I will sort through them myself.
Journalism hasn't been about that for 50 years.

And today almost all of the 'media' on the internet is an extension of the same organizations that control the majority of Journalism. Even here, eventually Kyle will get an offer he can't refuse and probably already has had them. Even though its not a political website much of the news topics lead that way. And if his 'moderation' of the comments here aren't up to their 'snuff', they will be after that.

Gamer communities resist moderation and they have the numbers to cause new ones to spring up faster than current ones can be bought. There's a potential there for discussions to happen without the correct kind of moderation or nudging by the 'proper people'.

It has always been advertising.

THIS! It was that way 20 years ago. The reviews were coming out at roughly the same time as the game, which meant they were reviewing BETA software (and keep in mind that even 20 years ago games came with bugs, that were rarely reported in the reviews).

But we bought them, because they did give us screen caps, and a description of game play. With that said, one thing I could do 20 years ago is return a game to Babbages. I don't recall if I had to tell them a lie to do so, but I did manage to return games I didn't like (though I rarely bought games I didn't like...slow player = less game buying).

Seriously, try to find reviews of Pacific Strike that are horrible. I don't think they exist, yet I know the Forums were lit up with complaints about the game. I've said it before, but it's worht stating again: Origin pulled the game from the market, but never fixed it. It was that bad FYI, if someone can find scathing reviews from PC Gamer (or similar publications) that trashed the game, post a link. 20 years is plenty of time for me to forget.

Aww. Were you bullied as a kid? Did it color your worldview?

Guess what: I was bullied and so were many kids. It's bullshit, but it's a natural part of human existence. I never bullied anyone (was always stronger than my peers, so I could have) because I never felt like it was right.

You left out how hard it is to be an attractive person in the modern world. So much prejudice against attractive people. :rolleyes:

... Some guy replied to me earlier and said that consumers don't want to think about the morality of a company and he is right to say that consumers don't do that. But consumers are wrong for not doing that. ....

That's YOUR opinion. It is hardly an accepted fact that failing to consider the morality of a company when considering a purchase - especially one as pathetic as considering if the female characters in their game show too much cleavage - is something that is objectively "wrong".

I call utter bull$hit on that. Get some sense of perspective for crying out loud. I'll buy what I want from whomever I want based on whatever criteria I want. I sure as hell don't need YOU telling me I should be making moral judgements with my purchases. If you want to do that, knock yourself out. But when it comes to MY purchases, you can kindly STFU.

I don't know. He said half of males are that, and he's pretty much right. Some of the responses have been fucking pathetic. We're not saying every single person in this thread is a sexist or misogynistic asshole, .

The simple fact of the matter is that there is hardly enough information presented here by anyone for you to make a determination that they are sexist or misogynistic.

What you are doing is playing out of the typical liberal playbook and trying to discredit anyone's opinion you don't like by labeling them sexist or misogynist.

Didn't know that it was debunked. That's the only thing I know of when it's talked about. I know people mentioning sexist jokes, but I don't think those are sexist or what not. If women, weren't there, the joke would still be told, and it would just be for fun, not to intentionally affect women, or other.

Indeed, very much so debunked. The actual quoted figure is 78%, not 70%.

But that's just a raw number that does not take into account hours worked or experience, let alone profession or area of expertise.

Turns out, once all of those variables are accounted for, the difference quickly becomes statistically insignificant.

Back