Gaming Headsets for the XboX 360, Any suggestions???

deweatherly

Supreme [H]ardness
I looking into buying a gaming headset. any suggestions??? i head mixed reviews about this one

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Triton FTW

My GF's Brother got them for Christmas....

most comfortable head phones ive worn and block out a lot of sound.
they use these at comic con (ODST display) and at the professional gaming tours

if you're willing to pay $199, it'll be worth your while to spend $50 to get the Astro headset+mix amp.

I listened to a friend's Trittons, and wasn't impressed especially for the price. I've never tried to use my Astro A40 system (Headset + MixAmp) with X360, but I hear it works very well and they sound and work great on my PC. This of course, is for both game audio plus voice. For the price range you're linking I suggest the new Astro A40 system. It is the most versatile and best sounding of any gaming headset I've seen Make sure you buy it direct from Astro or from someplace that has the new red-tint 2010 model MixAmp, older versions didn't have as many features (like USB-only use on PC, or USB voice over PS3).

yea i have heard a lot of good things about those tritons but i hear they have a lot of wires and they are jsut stereo (not 5:1 or 7:1) BUT i dont know if im ready to spend that much... Unless they are really usefull..

if you're willing to pay $199, it'll be worth your while to spend $50 to get the Astro headset+mix amp.

Thing is im not really ready to spend 200 on a headset unless its really worth it, but for sure 200 is my limit

I'd have to advise against the Turtle Beach Earforce X1

I bought one on Friday and I'm returning it today. The cabling was a nightmare, and the headset itself was uncomfortable. I would also hear a horrendously annoying buzz through my headset when the controller vibration went off. The bass was also so intense that I could barely understand my friends (deep voices), no matter how high I had the mic volume in relation to the game volume.

I'd have to advise against the Turtle Beach Earforce X1

I bought one on Friday and I'm returning it today. The cabling was a nightmare, and the headset itself was uncomfortable. I would also hear a horrendously annoying buzz through my headset when the controller vibration went off. The bass was also so intense that I could barely understand my friends (deep voices), no matter how high I had the mic volume in relation to the game volume.

Work fine for me, but the buzzing only happens when you use additional power cabling to the controller, like a play and charge kit. If you didn't have this, then something was wrong with your headset.

Hope you find an acceptable replacement that suits you good.

Just got my Turtle Beach XLC's. These things are fuckin' awesome! You can hear sounds you never heard while playing, very comfortable, no hissing or noisy background noise, few wires nothing to cluttering. Very cheap for 27.99$. It's a definite pick up if you are uncertain about headphones or want to try out headphones for Xbox.

I've been able to try a pair of Astros working at an MLG event, and I tend to forget I'm even wearing them. So comfortable.

Astro Mixamp with Turtle Beach HPX headset. Make sure you get the Astro Mixamp adapter when you order the headset.

just to let everyone know, i ordered the X4s, i thought it was a good compermise seeing how they were 50 bucks cheaper than the X41 and they were still 5:1 (which is the limit output on Xbox). but ill leave the thread open. Thanks guys for the input

I too am looking for an alternative to the Turtle Beach sets.. I don't mind wired if the cord is decent length or I can get a cheap $3 monoprice extension..

Any suggestions would be helpful.. Don't want to spend more than $100 or so.. I was even looking at a good set of headphones and a simple clip on microphone like the Zalman one that I hear quite a bit about...

I looking into buying a gaming headset. any suggestions??? i head mixed reviews about this one

I have the TBs you linked and I like them very much, the dolby headphone technology does really work, great for games like COD. It's great being able to plug in any headphones and still get the simulated surround effect, you can also shard the sound so 2 people can wear headphones (co-op).

If anything the headphones are worth is for the dolby headphone decoder IMO. It uses a newer chip than the Astros, although I am sure that makes very little difference.

I have been very satisfied with mine. Picked them up from best buy when they were on sale for 179.99

I got a pair of Tritton AX180's for Christmas and like them a lot. The only bad thing I can say about them is the when you turn the chat volume all the way down there is a low hiss to them. Other than that they are very good for the price.

Link

i have turtle beach X3s and absolute hate them. based on my experience with those, im never buying another turtle beach product again.

Get Astros, or spend $100-$120 for a Sennheiser 555 or a AT AD700 and wear the mic around your neck.

Get Astros, or spend $100-$120 for a Sennheiser 555 or a AT AD700 and wear the mic around your neck.

This thread got me curious as recently been tempted to get headphones to use with my 360 aswell, but mostly for night sessions. I have the Zalman mic paired with Audio-Technica ATH-A700's which are pretty nice. The Astros look pretty nice, but kind of a waste if I already have the a700's. Anything you can recommend to attach them to the Xbox such as the a40's mix/amp?

The A40 mixamp or the Turtle Beach X41 Dolby Decoder. You can get a refurbished one from Turtle Beachs website and just plug in your ATH-A700's. The TB Decoder would output 5.1/7.1 to your ATH-A700's. You can also turn off the dolby headphone processing if you wish.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll look into it. I was looking at the mix/amp alone and for the price might as well get the headphones with it. Thanks for the advice.

I was considering this as well.. I bought some Turtle Beach X1 phones from Walmart just to try them out (couldn't resist with 15% Bing cashback and a 10% family employee discount on top of that). They only cost me about $33 after all discounts, so I'll give them a shot (I don't care about wireless either...)

If they fail though, I think I'll just get a good set of headphones like some Sennheiser or Audio-Technica cans and hook them up to my TV along with a 12 foot extension cord. I might then buy a small clip on microphone like the Zalman one or Technica has some for like $20-$30 as well, or I may just wear the 360 headset around my neck and angle the mic up to my mouth, since that wouldn't really be too uncomfortable to me either... I may also have to get a small headphone amp if this is the case, since I don't have a decent 5.1 surround setup with a decent amplifier like a Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, etc.

The only down side I can see is that headphones tend to not have an in line volume control, so if you wanted to adjust the volume you'd have to use either the XBox 360 built in volume on the dashboard or you could try and use your TV volume. In my case, my Samsung plasma wont let me control the audio out volume if there's anything plugged into it, so I'd be stuck with the 360 volume only, unless I bought a small inline volume adapter or something.

I'm also not sure if the clip on microphones from Zalman/Technica have a "sensitivity" or "volume" control either, so I'd be stuck with whatever it's sensitivity is by default.

Anyone heard good things about the Steelseries headsets like the 5h V2?

I'm also not sure if the clip on microphones from Zalman/Technica have a "sensitivity" or "volume" control either, so I'd be stuck with whatever it's sensitivity is by default.

The Zalman one is just a wired microphone, no controls on it. The head is also the "clip" if you can even call it such.

Work fine for me, but the buzzing only happens when you use additional power cabling to the controller, like a play and charge kit. If you didn't have this, then something was wrong with your headset.

Hope you find an acceptable replacement that suits you good.
Ahh, that explains it. I have a wired controller.

They should really have a disclaimer about that. I wound up buying a replacement Xbox360 standard headset... why mess with what works?

Just recieved my X4's in the mail, Looking forward to trying them out...
The only problem is THEY ARE NOT COMPATABLE WITH HDMI!!!!!1
so now on top of spending $167 (shipping included) i have to replace my hdmi cable so i can have the 5:1 surround sound. FML

Just recieved my X4's in the mail, Looking forward to trying them out...
The only problem is THEY ARE NOT COMPATABLE WITH HDMI!!!!!1
so now on top of spending $167 (shipping included) i have to replace my hdmi cable so i can have the 5:1 surround sound. FML

Don't replace the HDMI. Just get the x360 audio adapter/dongle. It allows you to use your HDMI for video while you can route the audio to something else, like the X4's receiver. It's basically the standard 360 a/v cable but without the cables and instead has the R/L audio ports and an optical out.

Don't replace the HDMI. Just get the x360 audio adapter/dongle. It allows you to use your HDMI for video while you can route the audio to something else, like the X4's receiver. It's basically the standard 360 a/v cable but without the cables and instead has the R/L audio ports and an optical out.

so will i be using both ports (the standard HDMI and the component) or will i be using the component with and HDMI adapter??

It's the HDMI cable (goes in HDMI port) and an adapter that goes where the component/composite cables would go. You can use you current HDMI cable, that doesn't change. It just adds the needed audio ports to use a different receiver via the a/v port, such as a surround system if it didn't have HDMI. You can try to get the generic ones on ebay for cheap, but unsure if some "modding" needs to be done to them as I have read. Just as easily you can get a MS branded one cheap used or elsewhere cheaper.

It's this thing:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360hdmiavcable/

Edit:
Here's another picture of the adapter to give you a better idea.
http://images.pcworld.com/news/graphics/131322-xbox_cable1_350.jpg

Last edited:
It's the HDMI cable (goes in HDMI port) and an adapter that goes where the component/composite cables would go. You can use you current HDMI cable, that doesn't change. It just adds the needed audio ports to use a different receiver via the a/v port, such as a surround system if it didn't have HDMI. You can try to get the generic ones on ebay for cheap, but unsure if some "modding" needs to be done to them as I have read. Just as easily you can get a MS branded one cheap used or elsewhere cheaper.

It's this thing:

Edit:

Thanks for the help, but i dont think i can spend an extra 50 bucks to keep hdmi(and wait to recieve the adapter) , i guess i didnt really know what i was getting myself into (new cables, buying AAA batteries and charger, etc).... i will probably go to walmart and pick up some component cables for 30bucks and cut my losses... but agian thanks for the help,
Ill keep eveyone posted when i get them working and give a full review of the product

I have an older set of the Triton 5.1s with optical input. They work great and I'm really happy with them. My biggest complaint is my ears get hot after a short period of time. I rarely have to use them though.

does anyone know how these headsets are on batteries???? seem like they will go through them very fast

It's this thing:

Edit:

That's cool... I didn't know that dongle existed.

I thought you couldn't use the HDMI and the Composite/Component port at the same time though? Either way it's not a big deal for me, since my TV has a stereo R/L composite output as well, so I just hook them up to that, but that's cool to know about that dongle..

How about the Audio Technica Lavalier microphone like This One? Does that have a sensitivity control on it, or is it like the Zalman with a single sensitivity?

That's cool... I didn't know that dongle existed.

I thought you couldn't use the HDMI and the Composite/Component port at the same time though? Either way it's not a big deal for me, since my TV has a stereo R/L composite output as well, so I just hook them up to that, but that's cool to know about that dongle..

yea i didnt think you could either... just doesnt seem like it would work

Of course you can use both, that's why they made that adapter. It's usually for people who want to connect to a surround sound receiver that doesn't have an HDMI port. We'd use it instead to output to the headphone's receiver. HDMI does the video (connected to tv) and adapter will do the audio to whatever receiver. Just use the optical out to your receiver and should be better quality I believe.

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/hardware/accessories/av/hdmicable.aspx

Just look under the "connect a stereo audio system with HDMI cable".

Finally got my X4's Working. i had to buy that adapter that Dark zero was showing, but anyways they work very well, was very impressed with the sound quality, very comfortable.
Cons: when the mic line is plugged in there is a buzzing sound thats rather anoying.
Overall i dont know if it was worth the money seeing how after everything i bought with it ( hdmi adapter, AAA batteries and charger, and headphones) cost right at 200 bucks, but they are nice to have

Glad it worked out for you. :) Are you running a wired controller or have the USB plugged in to charge it? Not sure if it was in this thread or in another place that I read that mentioned something about the USB/charging causing some buzzing on the mic, but I could be mistaken. Test it out if thats your case.

I'm still looking for a x41/a40 mixamp for a fair price to use on my a700's. Not sure if it'll be worth wasting another 120+ for something I might only use at night. Barely used my a700's and had got them for the same night usage reason.

Glad it worked out for you. :) Are you running a wired controller or have the USB plugged in to charge it? Not sure if it was in this thread or in another place that I read that mentioned something about the USB/charging causing some buzzing on the mic,
I run a wireLess contoraller, but i heard about that buzzing noise when it is plugged in and thats not really the case for me... When the Mic is not plugged in there is NO buzzing noise, but when the mic cable is plugged in there is a slight buzzing noise AND when the USB charger is plugged in WITH the mic cable the noise is significantly louder. i dont really play with a mic in unless im in a party so its not really a big deal for me, and when it is buzzing its not that bad, you cant really notice it unless it quite around you.

Back