Gaming Headset, what do you have?

felt

Limp Gawd
Have/Recommend? I'm in the market for a gaming headset, primarily for FPS and music..Heard USB is best for my needs, just do not know which brand to go for. Amazon's reviews show some off-brand being the best buy at $27 for 7.1 USB headset...Is this possible? Does a $30 headset actually provide good enough SQ to rival $70-$100 plantronics/logitech headsets?

Budget $50-$100

steelseries siberia v2 for me.

Comfy , good sound and price is good.

Not even close in your budget but I roll with a Razor Tiamat. True 7.1 speakers and running through my Creative X-Fi, games sound awesome. Music is pretty great too. Really nice headphones

Sennheiser HD 598 with Schiit Audio Bitfrost Uber DAC and a Schitt Asgard 2 Amp.

Microphone is the amazing Zalman ZM-1 :D

But, my vote would go to the Kingston Hyperx Headset, well built and comfortable.

The last great headset I had was the Plantronics DSP-500
41P4C40NV5L.jpg

Personally I would go for a decent (or entry level) audiophile headphone and a sound card, as this will give you the best of both worlds IMO. A decent open-back headphone gives you better soundstage, while the virtual surround will be computed by the sound card. (Unless we're talking about a true 7.1 headset, it's all virtual surround).

For $100, I'd get a Sennheiser HD 518, and look for a used X-Fi Ti card. Alternatively, you could try Razer's free virtual surround software, but I'm not sure if its quality is as good as what a dedicated sound card like Creative X-Fi cards could do.

I am using a Plantronics Gamecom 777 for about 3 years, it´s fantastic, the sound with the usb card, the construction. And now I am thinking on make the change for a Hyperx Cloud II.

steelseries siberia v2 for me.

Comfy , good sound and price is good.

How's the mic quality on the v2? I heard lots of issues with sound leaking from the headphones to the mic on the v1. That being said the siberia were the most comfortable pair of headphones I've actually tried in person.

Personally I would go for a decent (or entry level) audiophile headphone and a sound card, as this will give you the best of both worlds IMO. A decent open-back headphone gives you better soundstage, while the virtual surround will be computed by the sound card. (Unless we're talking about a true 7.1 headset, it's all virtual surround).

I agree. Go with an entry level headphone and a good mic. An AntLion ModMic is a great mic to add. If you then decide to upgrade to a better headphone down the road, you will need a better sound card (Xonar Essence STX) or an amplifier for your headphones. This will give you the best sound quality.

BTW, I you're interested in going this route, I have an old set of JVC HA-RX900s sitting around gathering dust. I'd sell them to you cheap.

For $100, I'd get a Sennheiser HD 518, and look for a used X-Fi Ti card. Alternatively, you could try Razer's free virtual surround software, but I'm not sure if its quality is as good as what a dedicated sound card like Creative X-Fi cards could do.

I agree. Go with an entry level headphone and a good mic. An AntLion ModMic is a great mic to add. If you then decide to upgrade to a better headphone down the road, you will need a better sound card (Xonar Essence STX) or an amplifier for your headphones. This will give you the best sound quality.

BTW, I you're interested in going this route, I have an old set of JVC HA-RX900s sitting around gathering dust. I'd sell them to you cheap.

best advice here.

Exactly. Gaming headsets are all junk. Find yourself a good pair of headphones and then add a mic.

Also, you'll need to decide if you want closed or open. Makes a big difference.

I don't have much experience with open sets, as i've always used closed. For around a $100 I really like v-moda sets (amazon link for crossfade lp (over ear) and m-80 (on ear)). They tend to be warmer than most sets, which I like. They come with a chat cable already, so you can use them for gaming or with your phone as is (if your pc has seperate mic and heaphone inputs than you'll need this VOIP cable), or you can upgrade to the boom mic below. Very versatile and very nice.

V-Moda make a great mic that replace the cable on headphones that have a removable cable.

The anti-lion mod mic is also great but it 1) cost $20 more and 2) add another cable to the mix.

I personally, use a pair of v-moda m-100s with xl pads and the boom mic when I game. Whenever I'm out and i'm using them, I just switch to my regular chat cable.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Steel Series Siberia Elite.

My lumpy, oversized noggin has broken too many plastic headsets over the last couple years (including some very not-cheap ones).

JVC HA-RX700

Kraken Pro

Steel series Siberia

personally think the Kraken Pro is the bomb but I wouldn't get one again due to the design.

I really like the Kingston Hyper Cloud X even though I don't own a set I would get that before anything.

The best way to enjoy a headset it to have the volume way down if you ask me that way sounds pop out better then if you have it Blazing a good set will work at low volumes and still sound good.

Steelseries have no bass at all it's all high pitch twang sounds picks up crisp electronic sounds.
I even went on the limb picked up a fake pair off ebay they sounded the same =) I emailed steel series about the fake pairs and they even said they were fake I sold them at a rummage sale.

Amped sound card + PC360's. Sennheiser makes great stuff, their boom mics seem to be excellent as well as their actual speakers.

Not cheap, but honestly I hear so many people complain about their headsets giving out after 4 months I think I spent less than most of my friends overall.

Steelseries Siberia V2.

I've had them since they were released and love them!

I use the Sennheiser HD 380 Pros with a Zalman Zm-Mic 1 clip-on microphone.

I just purchased my first headset about a month ago ... wish I would have earlier. I got the Logitech G430

There are a couple threads on head-fi.org that will contain recommendations from people who know what they're talking about.

I have HD600s, O2+ODAC and a Zalman ZM-Mic. I also have a Yeti Pro, though hardly ever have a use for it.

For your price range the DPS-500's would probably be the best if you find them on sale. I had them in like 2003 and really liked them, they broke within a year or so and Plantronics shipped a replacement without needing to send the broken ones back, the second pair never broke. Too bad they raised the price on these over the years, but sometimes you can find them for less than $100.

Would hardly call the HD600's gaming headphones. Piss poor tracking, imaging and soundstaging and slightly less then neutral treble. I have them myself, v.good for music and source listening, just not for gaming.

AKG 240 and a broken Corsair headset that I wear around my neck for the mic.

next level

have logitech g930, works great but sometimes the sound get disconnected for a few seconds.

Back