Gaming Headphones?

Digital Oxide

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for some nice gaming headphones that I can use at a large LANparty, could anyone direct me to a place that I may get some for under 100 bucks?

You need to be more specific if you want any useful information. It's not your fault though.

Do you want to be able to hear whats going on at the LAN party or not? that will determin whether or not you get closed/open headphones.

ALso, how important is comfort?

My recommendation, without getting into the specifics, is goto your local professional audio shops and see what they have. Some people also recommend going to guitar centers.

See how they feel, how they sound, and how much they cost.

At 100$, your really inbetween the el'cheapo headphones and the higher end ones. Your best bang for the buck would be around the 40-70$ range and the 160-220$ range from what I've looked at.

A good place to see what type of headphones are out there, and the pictures of them is a website called headphone.com Some of their reviews are accurate, whiles others are way off.

~Hope this helps

I'm a huge fan of the BeyerDynamic DT234Pros. They're technically a closed design, but because the pads aren't huge, and they aren't exactly tight, you can still hear quite a bit outside of them.
They also have an low impedance, so are easily driven without need for an external amp.
Extremely comfortable, built-in mic, above-average sound, good price, and are quite durable. Highly recommended.

i judt got a pair of senn hd280's and i absolutely love them. I bought them for 80$ and i think they were worth every penny.

I don't really wanna hear whats going on around me, so noise canceling would be good. Comfort is around the mid range level, as long as they're remotely comftorble and don't irratate my ear, which some headphones due, and leave my ear red. its fine.

A guitar shop? Are you sure they would work? Different cables no?

Digital Oxide said:
I don't really wanna hear whats going on around me, so noise canceling would be good.

I would try to avoid any type of active noise cancelling since they cost more and generally do a worse job than a good sealed set of cans. Do you have a Fry's near you? They stock the Sony V6's for about $80. They're closed, sound great out of anything, and will def give you accuracy needed for the game. If you so desire, Beyerdynamic sells a DT250-80 for $160 with some velour ear muffs and a more relaxed sound signature. Then Beyerdynamic offers the ultimate bass phone, the 770-250's. They fully enclose even my big ears :p w/ mad comfy velour.

But if you truly wanna eliminate the world outside...

F.E.A.R. + X-Fi + Etymotic ER4p's = Whooops in the boxers! :eek: :eek: :p

Jodiuh said:
Do you have a Fry's near you?

I don't believe there are Fry's in Canada, might be. Don't think so.

Jodiuh said:
They fully enclose even my big ears w/ mad comfy velour.

Definitly a must =P I've gota big head and medium sized ears. Definitly a good factor. Again, my ears sometimes get really itchy sometimes, and might go red. Atleast with the headset I use at the moment.

I'll look around for those V6's, thanks.

Digital Oxide said:
I don't believe there are Fry's in Canada, might be. Don't think so.

Definitly a must =P I've gota big head and medium sized ears. Definitly a good factor. Again, my ears sometimes get really itchy sometimes, and might go red. Atleast with the headset I use at the moment.

I'll look around for those V6's, thanks.

Definitely a nice choice. Got a pair from b&h photo with the byerdynamic DT250 velour replacement pads (the stock Sony ones make your ears sweaty after a while). My second pair and they're still every bit as fantastic as the first day I put them on.

ya know, ever since i got my icemat audio cans ive been realy happy. much better sq than my old sennheisers

The HD-280's are nice. I like them so much that I will most likely buy a pair of hd 580's or 650's in the future.

ill chuck in another vote for the 280's. For gaming, its really hard to beat the fact they sound awesome, are closed and dont cost all that much :)

ZOMGWTFBBQ said:
ill chuck in another vote for the 280's. For gaming, its really hard to beat the fact they sound awesome, are closed and dont cost all that much :)

The only thing going against the HD280pro, is their comfort. The headband hurts after a while, the fake leather heats up, and they have a lot of clamping force. For long periods of time (1hour+) they can get uncomfortable. You don't get as much of a "swamp effect" as with the on the ear headphones, but the part of your head the fake leather rests on gets very warm.

Too bad too, because they reveal a lot of detail in audio which make them good for games (even if their general audio characteristics is dry).

You have to think, how much time do you expect to wear them for, how long will you keep them, how often will you use them? Then ask yourself if comfrot is worth an extra 60$us. At 160$, you can get nice sounding headphones with the comfy velour ear pads (beyerdynamic DT770pro are in that price range, and are some of the most comfortable headphones I have had a chance of using)

Anyways, I still recommend you check out your local professional audio shops or guitar shops. Sometimes they have great sales on headphones.

If you do end up buying a headphone, ide be interested to know what you get.

~Good luck

towert7 said:
The only thing going against the HD280pro, is their comfort. The headband hurts after a while, the fake leather heats up, and they have a lot of clamping force.

At 160$, you can get nice sounding headphones with the comfy velour ear pads (beyerdynamic DT770pro are in that price range, and are some of the most comfortable headphones I have had a chance of using)

I've owned both and agree with both statements. I will add one thing tho. The 770 pro's have a relatively short overall cup arm. Apparently, there exists a non pro with less clamping force and longer cup arms. That would be WELL worth it imo.

towert7 said:
If you do end up buying a headphone, ide be interested to know what you get.

~Good luck

I will let you know =). But it won't be for a little while (couple weeks, 2-3), headphones aren't at the top of my list at the moment.

Thanks everyone for all the opinions, it'll sure help me decide which to buy.

Also, how much does your sound card sway how the qualty of your sound is on the headphones? Or does it sway at all?

depends on the headphones and the soundcard. I dont want to sound like a smart alec, but its true. If you are using a Audigy 2 or higher, you *probably* won't be able to tell the difference between that and a cd player. Also, if you are using onboard sound, you may be able to tell the difference. Some soundcards (the chaintech AV-710 and the Emu 0404 I believe) are reputed to have better sound quality. I say reputed because I haven't listened to them for long periods of time, so I can't say definitively.
But with 100$ or less headphones, a Audigy 2 or above will be just fine.

Back