Gaming Display Prices are Dropping

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
As anyone who recently built or updated a PC probably noticed, memory and GPU prices were conspicuously high throughout most of 2018 and late 2017. But, as we've said before, memory prices are dropping like a rock, while GPU prices are starting to level out thanks to the crypto mining bust. According to a recent report, another important component for any PC is expected to get cheaper throughout 2019. Digitimes claims that competition among "gaming monitor" manufacturers is starting to "heat up" as more Chinese LCD manufacturers enter the market. TV-size panel production is expected to grow as well, and OLED TVs in particular could get significantly cheaper as more OLED factories come online.

However, China's panel makers including BOE Technology, CPC-Panda LCD Technology and China Star Optoelectronics Technology (CSOT) have recently stepped into the gaming panel sector, encouraged by government policy support and high profits generated by such products. The growing competition has sent gaming monitor panel prices falling sharply, with models with refresh rates of 144Hz and below being hit hardest, indicated the sources. Prices of 144Hz and below gaming panels fell 10% on average in 2018 and has dropped another 5% so far in 2019, as most China-based suppliers are focusing on this segment, said the sources, noting that the prices of 144Hz models will continue to fall in the second quarter.

Maybe it has something to do with missing deadlines? Asia was supposed to release their new ultrawide 2K HDR 200HZ panels last year and we're still sitting on 3 year old panel stock. I want something worth buying, I am already at 144Hz so you need to do something to entice me.

Still waiting for an affordable 32" HDR 144hz Gsync monitor to appear.

Got a pc that can game at 4k 144hz and don't want to spend much on a monitor?

Unless you are just making fun of the people that say that with every gaming monitor article in which case I chuckled. :D

When you compare TV to pc monitor prices you'd have to assume there is a lot of place for more competition.

Yeah, its crazy. There are tons of "gaming" displays that cost the same as (or more than) a television with 4x the resolution, the same pixel pitch/twice the diagonal size, and an objectively better panel, in spite of all the bells and whistles you get with a TV. Once 120hz input becomes more common, gaming monitors will have to drop in price.

I've been using a curved 43" Samsung TV as a monitor for a couple years now and it's the best decision I've ever made. At some point when a single card can run 4K at 120fps I'll step up to a 4k, 43" 120hz monitor but until then I'm pretty happy.

Reactions: zehoo
like this
I've been using a curved 43" Samsung TV as a monitor for a couple years now and it's the best decision I've ever made. At some point when a single card can run 4K at 120fps I'll step up to a 4k, 43" 120hz monitor but until then I'm pretty happy.
What SKU? I can't make heads or tails of these TVs because there are like 15 different models of 43" TVs from the same company.

I purchased G.Skill Flare X (2x8GB) for $183.99 in 3/2017. The current pricing of the same RAM is $189.99. Both prices were from Newegg. So there's no significant difference in RAM pricing from 2 yrs ago. My EVGA 1080TI purchase from 3/2017 on Amazon was $699.99. The same card today on Amazon is currently $1469.99; an equivalent Gigabyte card is $1079.99. So RAM prices are the same but GPU's are still higher. My Asus Rog PG278Q from way back in 11/2014 was $799.99. An equivalent Acer monitor today is $386.99 and the Asus MG278Q is $499.99. So monitors are a bargain compared to RAM or GPU's -- and you can now grab a freesync monitor and run it with an Nvidia card eliminating the G-sync premium.

As anyone who recently built or updated a PC probably noticed, memory and GPU prices were conspicuously high throughout most of 2018 and late 2017. But, as we've said before, memory prices are dropping like a rock, while GPU prices are starting to level out thanks to the crypto mining bust. /QUOTE]

I'm not a Samsung fan, but I have heard good things about their newer TVs. I can't find the thread atm, but someone here talked about how Samsung's frame interpolation tech was really good for gaming, as it supports repeated frames (aka variable framerates from games), and seems to work its magic with minimal latency.

I purchased G.Skill Flare X (2x8GB) for $183.99 in 3/2017. The current pricing of the same RAM is $189.99. Both prices were from Newegg. So there's no significant difference in RAM pricing from 2 yrs ago. My EVGA 1080TI purchase from 3/2017 on Amazon was $699.99. The same card today on Amazon is currently $1469.99; an equivalent Gigabyte card is $1079.99. So RAM prices are the same but GPU's are still higher. My Asus Rog PG278Q from way back in 11/2014 was $799.99. An equivalent Acer monitor today is $386.99 and the Asus MG278Q is $499.99. So monitors are a bargain compared to RAM or GPU's -- and you can now grab a freesync monitor and run it with an Nvidia card eliminating the G-sync premium.
Interesting how multiple samples show a differing picture. In my example, the display was the same price, but yours went down. In your example, the cost of ram stayed the same, but in my case the ram I bought has gone down. I originally bought this ram in December 2017 for $420 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232206 It's not available, but the same set (same model, same timings) but with different colors is for sale at $345, a $75 price reduction - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232378

The comparison to the TV market isn't really practical since the volume and consumer base for TVs vs. gaming monitors is so different. Now if more TVs start supporting higher framerates, suddenly those two product segment will have much larger overlap.

Got a pc that can game at 4k 144hz and don't want to spend much on a monitor?

Unless you are just making fun of the people that say that with every gaming monitor article in which case I chuckled. :D

Well, it seems few options that are somewhat close to that are over $2K. For 4K@144 it depends on what game and settings, depending on that I would assume is possible with a high end or flagship card in something like a $3K PC. In which case another $2K for a monitor would be kind of a lot. Being able to afford and feeling it is worth the asking price are also two different things. These prices are asinine because they can ask that due to no competitive models. They will come down soon and other vendors ramp up their offerings.

The comparison to the TV market isn't really practical since the volume and consumer base for TVs vs. gaming monitors is so different. Now if more TVs start supporting higher framerates, suddenly those two product segment will have much larger overlap.

That is about to change. A mid-high end TV's from Samsung, Sony and LG all already support 120hz @ 1080p already and VRR support is getting more and more common this year.

Still waiting for a curved, double 4k panel. Gaming may be a bit rough along with 144Hz and HDR, but the real estate... Could be nice for non-FPS titles as well.

I just don't understand why I still can't find a 27" 144hz HDR 1440p display? Really seems like there's a huge market for them since both team red and green have an assortment of cards that can perform well at that resolution.

Samsung ku7500.

Right now the best value is a tcl 43" from Costco for $200 free shipping (if you're a member).

Yup, I'm using the same TV as a monitor right now too and enjoy it pretty well. I just run my games at 1080p since I only have a GTX1060 hooked up to it, but I think I'm about to rebuild my rig and get a similar sized Freesync monitor to replace it if I can find one.

Back