Gaming Console Market Double Digit Growth by 2021

HardOCP News

[H] News
Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "Gaming Console Market - Forecasts from 2016 to 2021" report to their offering. The gaming console market has gone several hardware changes over the past couple of decades. Console manufacturers are coming up with new hardware so that they are compatible with latest specifications of games while enhancing the gameplay experience. Global gaming console market is projected to witness double digit growth over the forecast period 2016 to 2021.

Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft are the major players in the gaming console industry. Even though mobile games have found larger acceptance due to technological advancements in the smartphone industry, gaming consoles are still popular. PC games too haven't able to dent the demand for gaming consoles, as hardcore gamers still prefer the high-end specifications of PCs, while casual gamers are more likely to opt for consoles, as they are relatively cheap and have different forms of connectivity.

Snore. The same shit happens every time they release the cost-reduced version of the console. The majority of consoles sold over the lifetime come after the first couple price breaks.

We're just now entering that segment of the PS4/One's lifetime.

I'm not sure how much of these predicted sales are from the OneS/4 Slim, and how little of that will be the mid-life-upgrades. I'm guessing not much for the Pro/Scorpio.

Could it tie into the assumption that people are going to keep jumping on the latest console every 2-3 years or less? They are accelerating the release schedule as each gen gets replaced sooner and sooner than the last. It seems like the PS6 and 7 will release in January and then Christmas the same year!

Could it tie into the assumption that people are going to keep jumping on the latest console every 2-3 years or less? They are accelerating the release schedule as each gen gets replaced sooner and sooner than the last. It seems like the PS6 and 7 will release in January and then Christmas the same year!

They are not really accelerating at all. What they are doing, however, is returning to what was considered the standard release schedule before the 360 / PS3 had been released.

They are not really accelerating at all. What they are doing, however, is returning to what was considered the standard release schedule before the 360 / PS3 had been released.
Indeed. People quickly forget that before the 7th generation of consoles your typical console lifespan was 4-5 years.

Indeed. People quickly forget that before the 7th generation of consoles your typical console lifespan was 4-5 years.

Not for the most successful console of their generation.

Sony: so far has yet to release a stinker, although PS3 was close:

PS1: 6 years
PS2: 6 years
PS3: 7 years
PS4: 3 years!!!

Nintendo: GameCube and Wii U were stinkers:

NES: 7 years
SNES: 6 years
N64: 5.5 years
GameCube: 5 years
Wii: 6 years
Wii U: 4.5 years, assuming NX launches next spring

Microsoft's had two stinkers out of three. So they've pushed forward release dates (at the cost of features like Blu-Ray on the 360) to win early market share.

Xbox : 4 years, because it was way late in a 4-way battle, was just tossed together, and had no momentum from 3rd-party developers.
Xbox 360: 8 years, because it was a properly designed console.
Xbone: 4 years, because fuck the users. Sony called us out.

Sega: everything except Genesis sucked,. so you can guess which one had a long lifetime (6 years, not counting gimmicky add-ons). Everything else was less.

You can see that I give no shit here for Microsoft fast-tracking Scorpio out the gate, since the One sucked horribly, and they will try to blow up Sony by releasing the next generation early. But I can't find any justification here for Sony's early release of the PS4 Pro. You can try to say "It's how console generations have always worked," but you know that's bullshit. It's how console generations work if you don't get anywhere near a half of the market. They could easily wait until next year for the Pro, or even the year after, and still be there in time for Scorpio.

This just screams greed, and I'm not sure the buyers are going to dance to this new tune.

Last edited:
Well sure, it's easy when you got a hockey stick on your side.

WorldPopulation.jpg

Microsoft's had two stinkers out of three. So they've pushed forward release dates (at the cost of features like Blu-Ray on the 360) to win early market share.

Xbox : 4 years, because it was way late in a 4-way battle, was just tossed together, and had no momentum from 3rd-party developers.

Sega: everything except Genesis sucked,. so you can guess which one had a long lifetime (6 years, not counting gimmicky add-ons). Everything else was less.

You can see that I give no shit here for Microsoft fast-tracking Scorpio out the gate, since the One sucked horribly, and they will try to blow up Sony by releasing the next generation early. But I can't find any justification here for Sony's early release of the PS4 Pro. You can try to say "It's how console generations have always worked," but you know that's bullshit. It's how console generations work if you don't get anywhere near a half of the market. They could easily wait until next year for the Pro, or even the year after, and still be there in time for Scorpio.

This just screams greed, and I'm not sure the buyers are going to dance to this new tune.

What makes a console "a stinker"? Without understanding what you mean by that your thread is meaningless. Imo any of the older consoles without fans seems to smell better than the current systems too. When my PS4 overheats it gets a bit stinky, I think from burning dust and animal hair.

These are North American dates:

PlayStation: 1995/09/05
PlayStation 2: 2000/10/26 (5 years, 1 month, 11 days)
PlayStation 3: 2006/11/17 (6 years, 22 days)
PlayStation 4: 2013/11/15 (6 years, 11 months, 29 days)

Nintendo Entertainment System: 1985/10/18
Super Nintendo Entertainment System: 1991/08/23 (5 years, 10 months, 5 days)
Nintendo 64: 1997/09/26 (6 years, 1 month, 3 days)
GameCube: 2001/11/18 (4 years, 1 month, 22 days)
Wii: 2006/11/19 (5 years, 1 day)
Wii U: 2012/11/18 (5 years, 11 months, 30 days)

Sega Master System: 1986/09/??
Genesis: 1989/08/14 (2 years, 11 months)
Saturn: 1995/05/11 (5 years, 8 months, 30 days)
Dreamcast: 1999/09/09 (4 years, 3 months, 29 days)

Xbox: 2001/11/15
Xbox 360: 2005/11/22 (4 years, 7 days)
Xbox ONE: 2013/11/22 (8 years)

Atari 2600: 1977/09/11
Atari 5200: 1982/11/?? (4 years, 10 months)
Atari 7800: 1986/05/?? (3 years, 6 months)
Atari XEGS: 1987/11/?? (1 year, 6 months)
Atari Jaguar: 1993/11/23 (6 years)

Neo Geo AES: 1990/07/01
Neo Geo CD: 1994/09/?? (4 years, 2 months)

TurboGrafx-16: 1989/08/29
TurboDuo: 1992/10/10 (3 years, 1 month, 12 days)

Average length of time between consoles = 1,803 days, 7 hours, 34 minutes, 45.12 seconds

or

4 years, 11 months, 13 days. And this is including the Gen 7 to Gen 8 transition period.

Everything past the N64 for nintendo was garbage. While the wii sold a ton because of the gimmick factor, it also was the console that ended up largely collecting dust very quickly. Honestly at this point I'm convinced Nintendo would make far more money if they just gave up on hardware and licensed their IP out. I know there are far more Nintendo games I would be interested in buying if I didn't have to buy their latest pos gimmick box.

These are North American dates:

PlayStation: 1995/09/05
PlayStation 2: 2000/10/26 (5 years, 1 month, 11 days)
PlayStation 3: 2006/11/17 (6 years, 22 days)
PlayStation 4: 2013/11/15 (6 years, 11 months, 29 days)

Nintendo Entertainment System: 1985/10/18
Super Nintendo Entertainment System: 1991/08/23 (5 years, 10 months, 5 days)
Nintendo 64: 1997/09/26 (6 years, 1 month, 3 days)
GameCube: 2001/11/18 (4 years, 1 month, 22 days)
Wii: 2006/11/19 (5 years, 1 day)
Wii U: 2012/11/18 (5 years, 11 months, 30 days)

Sega Master System: 1986/09/??
Genesis: 1989/08/14 (2 years, 11 months)
Saturn: 1995/05/11 (5 years, 8 months, 30 days)
Dreamcast: 1999/09/09 (4 years, 3 months, 29 days)

Xbox: 2001/11/15
Xbox 360: 2005/11/22 (4 years, 7 days)
Xbox ONE: 2013/11/22 (8 years)

Atari 2600: 1977/09/11
Atari 5200: 1982/11/?? (4 years, 10 months)
Atari 7800: 1986/05/?? (3 years, 6 months)
Atari XEGS: 1987/11/?? (1 year, 6 months)
Atari Jaguar: 1993/11/23 (6 years)

Neo Geo AES: 1990/07/01
Neo Geo CD: 1994/09/?? (4 years, 2 months)

TurboGrafx-16: 1989/08/29
TurboDuo: 1992/10/10 (3 years, 1 month, 12 days)

Average length of time between consoles = 1,803 days, 7 hours, 34 minutes, 45.12 seconds

or

4 years, 11 months, 13 days. And this is including the Gen 7 to Gen 8 transition period.

FIVE YEARS AVERAGE, YOUR MATH NOT MINE

The average only gets up that high because many successful consoles stay much longer.

FIVE YEARS is two years longer than this 3-year PS4 Pro transition. Tell me I'm wrong again, that's way below average for Sony at any time in history!

You keep trying to bend the numbers in the desired direction, and you keep failing. Only complete and total failures of consoles get replaced in three years time frame.

Even the pitiful GameCube and Wii U and Saturn stayed on the market longer before replacement.

Last edited:
FIVE YEARS AVERAGE, YOUR MATH NOT MINE

Which is two years longer than this 3-year PS4 Pro transition. Tell me I'm wrong again.

You keep trying to bend the numbers in the desired direction, and you keep failing. Only complete and total failures of consoles get replaced in three years time frame.

Even the pitiful GameCube and Wii U stayed on the market longer before replacement.
I said 4-5 years. The average I calculated falls within that range.

The real reason PS4 Pro is launching now is because Sony wants to enter the VR market this holiday, maybe a poor calculation to get out ahead of HoloLens. But I don't know why you're so hung up on the PS4. I was simply agreeing with and backing up ManofGod's post.

My last console was a PS 1 so I definitely learned a ton reading through all of these posts. Ok the kids have a Wii... So Wii and PS 1. So does anyone have any predictions regarding time between console releases? Shrinking? Increasing? Holding the average? I think we are going to see them churning out refreshes and upgraded boxes faster. Maybe until they finally become the PCs that that they want to be! PCMR 4 Life.

All the talk about the upgraded PS4 and Xbox One "replacing" the older models is nonsensical gibberish. Both companies are still enforcing compatibility with the original, less powerful versions of their consoles, so they're not going anywhere. This is particularly true since 1080p HDTVs aren't going away either, and the only real reason to upgrade to the new console hardware is to get 4K compatibility.

Short version: The current console generation isn't ending any time soon.

Back