Gaming Chat Startup Discord Raises $150M, Surpassing $2B Valuation

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Discord is evidently more popular and successful than ever: the company behind the video game chat app managed to raise an impressive $50 million in April but outdid that amount with an additional $150 million in funding this week, boosting its valuation to over $2 billion. The Discord Store, which will take on Steam with a revenue split of 90/10 for developers, is expected to make the service even more prominent.

The company’s bread-and-butter remains its chat service, which brings voice and text communications to gamers looking to talk with teammates and fellow enthusiasts during and outside of gameplay. Discord isn’t the only service that offers this capability, but it is definitely one of the most popular with hundreds of millions of users coming to the app every month.

Yeah... do people not see this?

People always fall for the it's free scam.

Why pay for a ts server when we can give ourselves away for free, why pay $160 for a yearly mmo sub when we can get the game free and pay $300 a year in micro transactions?

Who buys Diacord, MS or Facebook? Or will it be a surprise like Apple or Google?

I don't think I have used it except once. I think YouTubers use it run stupid ops against one another.

Fwiw I find it to be a really solid chat client. After reading this however I think I'll spin up my murmur server again and have my friends migrate over.

Do you people not see that the common person doesn't even care about privacy. Sure you bring it up to them and they act like they do but continue to use all these "free" services with out one though about it. All the data breeches. Banks opening up credit limit es and account with out your consent. All the bs bs Facebook privacy contravercies that happened over the years. People still use these services and none have gone out of business from it. It is sad but that is the real world.

Discord was fine at first but now its popular its turning into bloat/crapware like ICQ & Skype did.

Damn a lot of haters in here.

Discord is probably the best chat client for gaming, been running a couple of decent sized servers for a few years now. Works better than everything else out there.
Ignorance is bliss

I use Discord, but voice quality can turn into complete shit. I often change our Discord server overseas on a regular basis. That fixes voice lag for everyone.

I actually found Steam groups to provide a far higher quality voice chat. But the UI sucks. I kinda hate the Discord UI too, but I'm used to it.

People are clueless if they think Discord is some one off product that sells your personal information.

Guess what, that company you use that provides that service you pay for is selling your information.

How many people putting on thier holier than thou caps or calling people ignorant have an android phone, or an Alexa pod sitting in their living room? Or for that matter shop at any store online? Oh you only shop at brick and mortar stores? Or are using any service where you entered information, to include payment details? They are selling your shit as well. Bought a house recently or a car? The Realtor and dealership sold your information.

Of course any "free" product is going to be more likely to sell your information, but do not think for a second that if they charged $5 a month they would stop.

Your personal data is a commodity, it is being bought and sold. The only variant is how much and what data they selling.

Did anyone expect Skype to go downhill as fast as it did? I actually thought MS wasn't going to ruin it within a year. Will be interesting to see Discord's fate.

Also, I'm pretty sure Kyle sells all of our data to fund his dead 2080 ti collection ;)

People are clueless if they think Discord is some one off product that sells your personal information.

Guess what, that company you use that provides that service you pay for is selling your information.

How many people putting on thier holier than thou caps or calling people ignorant have an android phone, or an Alexa pod sitting in their living room? Or for that matter shop at any store online? Oh you only shop at brick and mortar stores? Or are using any service where you entered information, to include payment details? They are selling your shit as well. Bought a house recently or a car? The Realtor and dealership sold your information.

Of course any "free" product is going to be more likely to sell your information, but do not think for a second that if they charged $5 a month they would stop.

Your personal data is a commodity, it is being bought and sold. The only variant is how much and what data they selling.

I'll bite.

I do not own an Android or any other smart phone. I have a dumb cell phone and when it dies, I'll not own another cell phone as there are no more dumb ones left.
I do not support any business which requires you to have a smart phone.
I do not have an Alexa or any other IoT device.
I do not buy anything online.
I pay by cash/check for everything.
I do not subscribe to any services which require more than an email address.
I pay cash for my cars.
My house is paid for.

I enjoy the time I have for all my hobbies.

Yes, your personal data is a commodity. One people chose to give away for free so others may benefit from it. It is something you have about 98% control over, but it takes more gumption than most people have today. I give 2% to the selfie idiots you may get caught in a camera shot by or from the cameras (security, stop light...) all over the cities these days.

As to Discord. Meh. Just another time drain. People seem to like those, for some reason.

I'll bite.

I do not own an Android or any other smart phone. I have a dumb cell phone and when it dies, I'll not own another cell phone as there are no more dumb ones left.
I do not support any business which requires you to have a smart phone.
I do not have an Alexa or any other IoT device.
I do not buy anything online.
I pay by cash/check for everything.
I do not subscribe to any services which require more than an email address.
I pay cash for my cars.
My house is paid for.

I enjoy the time I have for all my hobbies.

Yes, your personal data is a commodity. One people chose to give away for free so others may benefit from it. It is something you have about 98% control over, but it takes more gumption than most people have today. I give 2% to the selfie idiots you may get caught in a camera shot by or from the cameras (security, stop light...) all over the cities these days.

As to Discord. Meh. Just another time drain. People seem to like those, for some reason.

And here you are posting on the [H] with 1200+ posts. I could see you reading the front page news. I could see you participating in some of the sub-forums on a particular topic. But nearly all your post are from the front page news. If that isn't a "time waste"...what is. Hypocrisy is universal it seems.

And here you are posting on the [H] with 1200+ posts. I could see you reading the front page news. I could see you participating in some of the sub-forums on a particular topic. But nearly all your post are from the front page news. If that isn't a "time waste"...what is. Hypocrisy is universal it seems.

I am guilty of following [H] as it is one of the few sites around which actually has reasonably accurate news that is mostly pertinent to me. Cannot say that about Discord.

Yes, I do respond to some of the topics and proivide opinions. It it a time drain? I suppose it is.

I never said I did not have any time sinks. You can consider some of my hobbies time sinks. Discord happens to be one time sink I do not participate in.

Last edited:
Back