Gaming Chairs VS Office Chairs

My dxracer formula is the only chair I can sit for more than 5 hours straight and feel the same as I did when I first sat down. The cushions are excellent

A few of my coworkers have this chair... our work offers to buy us them if we want/need. I find the cushions to be quite firm for my taste but the chair feels solid and well built. I enjoy the full back.

Personally I still stick with a mesh chair and like it... no idea on brand :D

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/547826/Realspace-High-Back-Gaming-Chair-RedBlack/

I'm going to pick one of these up I want a Titan actually but worried about the weight of it's 70+ lbs could crash though the floor.
Plus I might not like it I sat in this Office Max chair for about 1 minute I liked the high back of it and the seat wasn't winged at the end.
139.00 but they are out of stock LOL I mean they are on sale they were in stock but now they are out of stock and on sale.

So for extended PC gaming is the consensus to buy a gaming or office chair?

My wife and I both need new computer desk chairs, but we're unsure of which one and model to buy.

I have always used leather office chairs in the past & suffered with aching butt cheeks & a aching spine after a long period sat in them. I decided to change my chair recently and after trying out lots of different chairs in the city outlets here in the UK, the one that was most comfortable to me out of all the office chairs including expensive ones and gaming chairs, was the Corsair T1 Gaming Chair. Not the most expensive chair by a long shot but has good coaster wheels, is comfortable for me to sit on for long periods , has firm lumbar & neck support cushions (which are removable) as well as height adjustable arm rests & a tilt adjustable back rest. I suffer with Multiple Sclerosis as well as rapidly degenerating discs in my C Spine, and since I have used this chair 4 weeks ago, I have been in a lit less pain than I was sat in the leather office chair that cost me almost triple what I paid for the Corsair chair! Even the wife was impressed to how comfortable it is and now she wants one as well! One thing I have also noticed is that I do not sweat as much sat in it compared to the leather office chair.

Best advice is to try as many as you possibly can. Any good store will let you sit in one for 15-20 minutes to really get a feel of it. I was lucky as our local Currys/PC World (electrical goods chain store in the UK) has a large gaming section with all of the gaming chairs they sell assembled at desks with systems to sit and use for a while to make sure you are buying the right chair for you. On the same retail park, there are also a load of furniture stores which also sell office chairs and the like, so I could also try those out to an extent within a short period of time. The other thing I found with the Corsair T1 chair was that it took less than 10 minutes to fully assemble compared to over an hour to put together the last office chair I bought!

After using a DXRacer chair for a few years I'd never go back to using a cheap office chair. The better head, neck and back support is a must.

So for extended PC gaming is the consensus to buy a gaming or office chair?

My wife and I both need new computer desk chairs, but we're unsure of which one and model to buy.

I went with a Gaming chair this time. I kind of regret not going with an office chair instead. The gaming chair is fine for a few hours or less.

We've had far better luck with 'sewing chairs' than either office or gaming chairs.
Go to your local sewing/quilting shop and try the different varieties, but they work for us.
Usually you can get a 'used' discount on the floor samples.

Here is an online sample - I think I have the Koala SewComfort (pd $150 I think for gently used)
https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/sewing-chairs.php?msclkid=8ad4e50b636e1e6e1593b9e1c4d02f03&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search-Network&utm_term=+koala +sewcomfort&utm_content=all-tacony-30072-chairs#/?Category0=Sewing+Furniture&Category1=Category&Category2=Sewing+Chairs&search_return=all&Brand=Koala

Last edited:
<< 6'2, 228lb. Software Engineer as a profession (lots of sitting).

@ home: DXRacer Iron Series. Love it. Rock solid. Great fit for larger frame.

@ work: some rando office Steelcase series. Hate it.

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/KILLABEE-Gam...07QKYDN8M/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Bought this chair I got 20.00 off from Bing rewards Gift cards and a instant discount. I hope it doesn't fall apart on don't really plan on using it for everyday use just went I was to sit up straight.. The wide size was the selling point for me. I hope the box isn't totally destroyed when I get it either. I'll let you know how it is when it arrives.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I watched this guy he said the Bolsters on the chairs the ridges are designed for real cars so say the door flys open you don't fly out of the car which is pretty mute while gaming unless their is a hurricane going on in your office.

I just got one of these DX racer chairs and don't find it too comfortable. It might grow on me but as of right now I felt my old cheapo Staples chairs were more comfortable.

I just got one of these DX racer chairs and don't find it too comfortable. It might grow on me but as of right now I felt my old cheapo Staples chairs were more comfortable.

Yeah I'm not hoping for a miracle I don't plan on using it all the time where it could cause back problem the Secret Labs chairs dont' even look like gaming chairs I heard the seat was like a piece of wood with leather on top so I'm hoping for the best.

herman miller aeron
your ass will thank you for the rather hefty purchase. mine has been in service since 2004 so the pricetag is worth it.

Had these at work, wish I could justify the expense at home. I would think more chairs would go the mesh route. Vastly the best choice for ventilation when you accumulate any seat time. Gaming chair Leather/Fake leather is the last thing I would want trapping the moisture next to your skin.

steelcase or herman miller. a good chair that can provide 8+ hours of workday support is not cheap and it never will be.

this is one of those things where the product really gets better the more cash you spend. there is no way a cheap chair can support your fat ass without some quality parts and build. otherwise you are going to be buying a new chair in a year. LOL @ gaming chairs they have no clue what they are missing. its an experience you usually gain from working a desk job for a decade and realizing that the unassuming office chair you have been sitting in costs your company $1500. they know. thats how they get you to stay in your chair and keep working. maximum support.

so lie, cheat, steal, ask grandma.... get yourself a nice chair at home, from one of the brands above. you wont ever have to buy a new one for the rest of your life, and your fat fat body will thank you.

i edited this because i sound like an elitist... know that i am a gtx 1060 salary kind of person... i had to save my money for awhile and bring a lot of lunches to work to buy my steelcase, and even then i was just checking craigslist daily for a used office sale. what i am trying to say is that it is worth it and good investment.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not hoping for a miracle I don't plan on using it all the time where it could cause back problem the Secret Labs chairs dont' even look like gaming chairs I heard the seat was like a piece of wood with leather on top so I'm hoping for the best.

Secret Lab chairs are the pinnacle of "gaming chairs", hard to see why they wouldn't be worth their asking price, they have just as much of an adjustability and more than some expensier "high quality office chairs".

What I personally like about the Secret Lab ones are:

+ Integrated adjustable lumbar support in the backrest (this is probably that one most important thing to get the chair perfectly adjusted for you, if it doesn't have lumbar adjustment it'll probably 80% not going to be perfect for your back)
+ Armrests that only moves in any direction at push of a button (many moves forward/backward with added effort so they can slide when you don't want them to)
+ TITAN 2020 model has a base without those #¤% wings that just limits your sitting posture so you have to sit like the good schoolgirl with the legs , I like to vary my positions of the legs and often keep them widespread or one leg above the other which those "wings" would push into your side of the legs. I'm not going to race with my chair so I don't need to be kept in seat from G-forces thank you
+ Fabric option

Last edited:
After years of buying cheapo chairs from Staples, I finally sprang for a Secret Lab Omega chair. I was skeptical of the whole "gaming chair" meme, but this thing fits me like a glove and is built pretty solid. I'm a tall skinny guy though, so results may vary.

I think gaming chairs just look plain ugly. It's like they want to be some sports car seat, but I don't know why would that be good? It looks odd and out of place in any living room / office.

The KillaBee chair I ordered a few days ago should be here Fed Ex my biggest fear would be it's broken or the pleather is going to feel like vinyl.

I will also vouch for the Aeron. I've had mine for 10 years and it's still in perfect condition. I had back pain using other chairs and it went away after switching to the Aeron.

Before that I was going through generic leather office chairs that would only last a year or 2 before the seat cushions would start tearing. The Aeron becomes cheaper long term because it lasts forever despite being $800 new.

I haven't tried any of the racer style chairs. They didn't exist back when I bought my Aeron.

1st impersions feel kinda cheap it smells like a Chinese rubber factory not sure if it will go away I like how high the back of the chair is
lumbar support is nice you can actually notice it seat is pretty hard but not wood on wood hard. Think I'll keep it though I can always curb it lol someone would pick it up in a few minutes.
Has a vibrating lumbar support that is powered by USB not sure how long that would last rather have batteries. Bolsters on the left and right don't bother me at all because the back is pretty wide.

My immersions if my gaming chair the pillow stunk so bad I had to wash it out and replace the stuff for the head rest pillow I used some Walmart bags for the stuffing smelled caustic.
Chair bites though my eyes feel strained so I'm going to just use it for gaming I like my 360.00 serta way better the gaming chair just would take some times to get used to it bites my butt.

never owned a gaming chair but.. it wasnt really a thing when i was starting out. so i just got this ikea chair, lasted me 4-5 years now and it is comfortable.

Cold Cured Foam isn't bad you sink in the stuff and takes the shape. I'm sure some brands have higher desnity of the stuff and it's harder to the touch.

I realized a while back that mesh/breathable chairs are a lot better than leather for longer gaming or working sessions.

There's a place here in Houston called Corporate Liquidators who buy office furnitures from companies when they move at crazy discounts (BP, Shell etc).

Through them, I picked up a like-new big & tall Herman Miller Aeron for 300 dollars for my gaming rig, and a Steelcase Leap v2 for $350 to go in my home office. Best $$ I have ever spent, considering both chairs are over $1000 new.

Gaming chairs are not for me the reason the Seat Cushion isn't soft enough what happens it places alot of strain on the body which translated my eyes straining it would work out for a regular chair but for PC use it's not really ideal even though that is what they are made for. Unless I need some time to get used to it but I'm not going to give it a month. I should of bought the Memory foam seat cushion version if I did that I might of been in better shape. The Cold cure foam or whatever they call it just bottoms out to the wood.

I have the markus chair that I got from ikea. It is comfortable and has an ergonomic design.

I can tell you one thing from using my gaming chair "Just for gaming" make sure you get one with a soft seat thick "Cold cure foam" or "thick Memory foam" otherwise the chair will bite your butt and it's hard for your entire body to relax with it up to your eyeballs I kinda wish I went with a Memory foam chair now but then again I only use it for gaming so it doesn't go flat on me.

If it makes a difference. I have a DX Racer King series. I don't find it overly comfortable for long periods. My next chair would likely be a more meshy style chair (better breathability) with proper support functions etc. But that's me personally. Others I'm sure find it very comfy, and whilst I enjoy mine, It's not the most comfy chair I've sat on, but the various adjustments are nice and welcome.

I am 6'6", 270lbs and have the DXRacer King for the last 5 years, its still practically new and has hundreds of hours on it.

I like the chair, but I like hard surfaces as my weight tends to degrade soft fabrics fast. I haven't had the sweating problem the ranter on Youtube had, but I usually wear clothing while sitting (if I don't then yes, sweat).

Its quite adjustable, but the arm rests are annoyingly hard without any padding. I find its back support to be... subpar.

Do I like it? yeah its probably one of the best/better chairs I have.

Would I get it again? Probably not as I'd like to address my nitpicks, like the hard arms and back support.

Thing is, at the rate is degrading, it'll be a while before I get a new chair, which is a plus.

I'm having a hard time finding a genuine "big and tall" chair. Nearly all of the ones I've tried that are rated 350-400lbs have lifts that give out eventually (and pretty early in their lifespan), when I am under the rated weight. Many of the ones I have not tried, have reviews that basically say the same thing.

Oof. I need to lose weight, yes, but I would also prefer a chair that could handle ~300-330lbs without an issue.

Right now I'm using a chair I got at Sams Club for maybe $200, La-Z-Boy brand, and its lift is starting to go, but not terrible (takes days for it to bottom out and need lifted up again, and is a small range of difference anyway). My problem with this one is the fake leather is peeling off and looks terrible and gets on everything and goes everywhere. Yuck.

I personally have had good experience with Amazon ergonomic mesh chairs. Those aren't even expensive at all but offer excellent price vs ergonomy ratio for sure. It's not the BEST when it comes to build quality but definitely not the worst either, especially for the price. If your budget is say 120 - $250, I don't think you're going to find better options, beats gaming chairs when it comes to adjustability other than some top alternatives.

There's quite a lot of options and competitiveness seems strong among the different brands (probably all Chinese I imagine if that's maybe throwing some ppl off)

Gaming chairs are mostly horrible for long-term posture. I grabbed a Herman Miller Embody last year and have never looked back. The amount of support for your body is amazing and cannot be found in your RX Racer chair.

Gaming chairs are mostly horrible for long-term posture. I grabbed a Herman Miller Embody last year and have never looked back. The amount of support for your body is amazing and cannot be found in your RX Racer chair.
HyperX Stealth, Noblechairs Hero and Secretlabs Titan are based on the same body that has adjustable lumbar support, they are exceptions in gaming chairs.

HyperX Stealth, Noblechairs Hero and Secretlabs Titan are based on the same body that has adjustable lumbar support, they are exceptions in gaming chairs.

If only they had a mesh option on that frame -- no idea why the 'gaming chair scene' hasn't caught on to that yet.

If only they had a mesh option on that frame -- no idea why the 'gaming chair scene' hasn't caught on to that yet.

Gaming chairs are all about looks I suppose. Kids probably associate mesh with parent stuff, idk :p Mesh option would be nice, at least offer the option, I'm a fan of mesh myself, my current chair is a mesh too. At least they offer fabric for the Secretlab chair which is what I'd get if I'd buy a "gaming chair" but some of the dimensions doesn't work so well with me (too big/wide for me) and the smaller version is too small and has the %#¤%%# side support for the legs which I hate with a passion.

Back