Gaming Build Suggestions

[FX]Roman

Gawd
Hey ya'll,

I'm putting suggestions together for a friend and was wondering if someone had some other thoughts...

Budget is: ~1,500 to 2,000.
Use: Mostly gaming.

He already owns a PSU (1,000 watts), SDD (and other storage options), and has a screen (so purchasing one would be less of a priority).

This basically leaves the guts: CPU, gfx card(s), RAM, mainboard, case, and possible cooling (not really into water cooling).

This is what was suggested (with a tweak of the GFX card):
https://pchound.com/3LKbx8/

Do you think this is pretty close to getting best-bang-for-your-buck in gaming? Thanks!

Last edited:
What's the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor he's reusing?

Because you're spending $350 more than you have to if he's playing at 1080p :D

Can you also tell me the brand and model of the PSU, and how old it is? Just want to be sure it's good enough to reuse, since you're already putting so much money on the table :D

Also, if you're not overclocking or running SLI, you don't need a $150 motherboard.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
[FX]Roman;1041861265 said:
Hmmmm, I'm betting not regarding the resolution... is there something higher-rung that's parallelly equal to 1080p gaming?

Something was lost in translation with this line. :D

I asked you what resolution they game at.

You replied some crazy sentence that doesn't confirm for me what the resolution is.

So can we try this again?

What is the resolution the person will be playing at? If you don't know, their monitor model number is all I need. This all about saving you $350 off the build price, so I'm looking out for you :D

Lolz, my bad. Apologies. He will be gaming at 1080p -- So, what's comparably badass (your suggestion seems quite excellent, mind you)?

Thanks for the help and tips, as always. :)

My only suggestion is that since you have ~200 more to spare, and since that has 4 RAM slots, you should get 32GB or more. If you tweak the build (you won't need a 1000watt PSU, for example, but a high quality one is always important [I prefer Platinum Certified to leave room for upgrades), then you could:

Buy 1-2 Screen monitor setup if you can find good ones used here on the FS section, etc. Gaming is far better on multiple screens, if you can swing it.

Cooling wise you can always go with Thermaltake or something small yet efficient. I like building silent gaming computers that use silent fans, so I prefer a case like this:

I'm not sure how helpful this advise is, but if I would build it, I would make sure I get the most bang for the buck in terms of nice monitors to take full advantage of that powerhorse!

Yup, the GTX 970 is utter overkill for 1080p today. It's a great 1440p card, so it should last you several years of maxed-out gaming at only 1080p :D

You should use the build I linked. I also suggested the Scythe cooler because the rest of the parts in your build had a silent vibe to them. You can still use the stock cooler that comes with the 4790k, but most people say it's noisy when gaming.

Back