Gaming Backlog Project - Inventory Part 1

deadrody

Gawd
Working on a blog to help work through the MASSIVE gaming backlog I have. This is the lastest post:

20130429_153809_4_bestshot.jpeg

Part 1 is for the more interesting games that I have in jewel case format.

Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
LOTR: Battle For Middle Earth
Homeworld
Splinter Cell (original)
Command and Conquer: Generals Deluxe
Diablo 2 & Lord of Destruction
Nox
SW: Jedi Academy
Beyond Good and Evil
Freedom Fighters
Prince of Persia Sands of Time
Sacrifice
Planescape Torment
Resident Evil 4
No One Lives Forever
Longest Journey
Aquanox
Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2, Yuri's Revenge, and Renegade
Doom 3
MOH: Pacific Assault
Starcraft Brood War
Warcraft 3
Far Cry
SW: Republic Commando
LOTR: Return of the King
CSI
Syberia
Syberia 2
Undying
Final Fantasy VII
Freespace 2
Sid Meier's Pirates
Neverwinter Nights Gold
Freelancer
Baldur's Gate
Act of War
Enter the Matrix
Civilization 4
Command & Conquer (original)
Starcraft 2

Let's see, notes on the first inventory:

• Games I've played a decent amount of: LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth (up to Minas Tirith on the good campaign), Homeworld (maybe 25%), Freedom Fighters (20%), No One Lives Forever (80%), and Far Cry (75%)
  • Games I've started but barely played: Splinter Cell, Longest Journey, C&C: Generals, Nox, Prince of Persia Sands of Time, LOTR: Return of the King, Resident Evil 4, Freespace 2, Undying, Freelancer, Baldur's Gate, Starcraft 2, Warcraft 3, Act of War, Civilization IV
  • Diablo II - Played through to the very end of the original campaign, but got bored with being instantly destroyed by Diablo in the final boss fight. As a result I've never gotten to play through the Lord of Destruction expansion
  • Enter the Matrix - wish there was such a thing as a quality Matrix game. Tried to get this to run a couple times and never had even a tiny bit of success.
  • Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 - Got some hokey version of these back in 2002 or so. Played through both games, but without cut scenes or cinematics. I now have at least 1 proper copy of each and maybe a second copy on Steam. Needless to say, I need to play through both again.
  • Command & Conquer - bought the original on ebay recently and have dabbled with Dosbox.

From here I'll start the full "Backlog Inventory Post". I think I'm going to organize them by year and consensus rating. I don't know where I'm going to come up with a consistent rating method, maybe Gamespot or Metacritic (gasp).

Any thoughts are welcome. More to follow.

BTW, this is just a small slice of the backlog. My official Steam Library is currently 317, but that includes a lot of installed games that show up as non-steam games. Overall, the estimate is probably around 400 or so. I know, ridiculous. And, frankly, one problem I have is that I'm going to want to expand the backlog as I try and play through it. If I'm playing one or two games from 1995 or 1998 or so, why wouldn't I try and find the 2 or 3 other classics from that year too ?

Last edited:
Play sacrifice already! :D (I think you mean Sacrifice not Safrifice, unless that's another game?)

One thing to make it playable however is to make sure you set it to 4:3 resolutions otherwise you get weird texture bugs, you can make it run pretty well on Nvidia hardware by setting "compatibility bits" in the driver profile (using something like Nvidia inspector).

It's one game of a genre that there's very little of, and would be one game that would be great remade. It's still looks pretty decent even now in a retro kind of way. :D

Play sacrifice already! :D (I think you mean Sacrifice not Safrifice, unless that's another game?)

One thing to make it playable however is to make sure you set it to 4:3 resolutions otherwise you get weird texture bugs, you can make it run pretty well on Nvidia hardware by setting "compatibility bits" in the driver profile (using something like Nvidia inspector).

It's one game of a genre that there's very little of, and would be one game that would be great remade. It's still looks pretty decent even now in a retro kind of way. :D

Very cool, thanks. This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I know I'll have issues with some of the older games.

The newest inventory post has a copy of "Enter the Matrix" in it. Wish to all that is high and mighty that a good Matrix game existed. I couldn't get that one to run AT ALL. Nothing. Zip, zilch, nada.

Now I'm faced with the existential internet spelling / grammar question... Now that you've pointed out a spelling mistake, do I go back and change it thus making your comment obsolete ?!

Spend less time dicking with all that and just play the games You'd be surprised how quickly you can finish a lot of those if you just sit down and do it. Not seeing any where on there what you're playing right now. Games wanna be played not organized. Go play freedom fighters you have plenty of time to finish it today.

Spend less time dicking with all that and just play the games You'd be surprised how quickly you can finish a lot of those if you just sit down and do it. Not seeing any where on there what you're playing right now. Games wanna be played not organized. Go play freedom fighters you have plenty of time to finish it today.

Yes this!

Wow, had no idea they made a video game on CSI :p

I think that would be a very interesting run through, considering that most games are old ones.

Well, seeing as I'm working 68 hours a week on 12 hour shifts and have been for a month, there isn't a lot of game playing time available. The only game I'm playing right now is work, sleep, work, sleep, hello family, work, sleep, work sleep, repeat

And since the "organizing" part will only take a little while compared to the thousands of hours it will take to play the games, I'm not overly concerned about wasting time on organization. Not to mention that I've been building this collection for nearly 20 years - I'd kinda like to know what all is in it.

Plus, I'm a virgo. This is what we do.

Last edited:
Wow, had no idea they made a video game on CSI :p

I think that would be a very interesting run through, considering that most games are old ones.

When I looked it up on Giantbomb to find out what year CSI came out, there are like 3 or 4 CSI games now.

Heh. May have to post the other 4 pics of my backlog! Part 2 is done....

20130429_154013_6_bestshot2.jpeg

20130429_154315_5_bestshot2.jpeg

20130429_153936_8_bestshot2.jpeg

20130429_153905_7_bestshot2.jpeg

Last edited:
Very cool, thanks. This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I know I'll have issues with some of the older games.

The newest inventory post has a copy of "Enter the Matrix" in it. Wish to all that is high and mighty that a good Matrix game existed. I couldn't get that one to run AT ALL. Nothing. Zip, zilch, nada.

Now I'm faced with the existential internet spelling / grammar question... Now that you've pointed out a spelling mistake, do I go back and change it thus making your comment obsolete ?!

Correct iiit. :p (I'll correct the comment too)

Enter the Matrix came out in 2003, so it should work under XP. It might be starting at smaller than the minimum resolution for modern adapters/Windows (I can't remember that that is, smaller then 800x600, probably 640 x 480) which can mean it just wont start. Grim Fandango has the same problem (I think).

You know about VMs and stuff? Getting something like VMware player and loading Windows 98SE is great for older (non DOS) games, though you will get limited graphics capabilities compared to natively, but that probably wont matter too much. Or try and find settings to boost the initial resolution. :D

I have about 15 games in my back log. I'm not worried though , if I get to them I get to them. Otherwise that's how it is.

I've got a friend who's powering through his 10 game back log because he's leaving the country to stay in China for 6 months for a job and he's going to be working long hours.

You sir have convinced me to start organizing mine. I think I can power through 15 games during summer break.

Nice collection of games. Sometimes I wished I could turn my Steam library into a collection of physical boxes :p

Back