"Gaming"/Anti-Glare Computer Glasses (Gunnars and the likes)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by Mezner, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Mezner

Mezner Limp Gawd

Hey guys, just have a quick question.

This if for all you gamers/streamers/video makers/whatever. For years I have been suffering from eyestrain, I usually just blow it off, but now i'm simply tired of it. I am looking for a solution and am looking into Gunnars/Anti-Glare Computer Glasses. Have any of you tried them, or use them? And do they really work? Just wanted to know before I go investing some money on an item that won't help me.

2. socK

socK 2[H]4U

are gunnars not just somewhat overpriced, glorified polarized sunglasses

edit: also try f.lux before you go buying expensive things

3. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

I bought a pair of Gunnars from woot for cheap just to see what the hype was about. I couldn't stand them. They tint everything yellow which gives me issues trying to focus on certain objects and it slightly magnifies. But I gave them to my cousin who is a casual gamer, plays DOTA2 and Battlefield and he loves them. Says they reduce eye strain and such.

4. IgnisGladio

IgnisGladio n00b

I've always wondered how eye strain feels like.
    Anyone care to explain?

I literally spend 14hrs+ on a regular basis on my PC and have never felt anything on my eyes. So for a while I though the whole Gunnars,ect glasses were just scams but apparently people do get eye strains .

5. bytes

bytes Limp Gawd

Buy a 120hz or higher monitor with a response time of 2ms or lower. If possible get a pwm free monitor and calibrate it with a spyder 4 or another similar device.

60hz causes my eyes to go bloodshot and then the headaches happen.

6. Odellus

Odellus [H]ard|Gawd

1. if your monitor brightness value is set any higher than ~40, you're doing it wrong.
    2. try f.lux.
    3. if all else fails, go to walmart and buy a $5 pair of tinted sunglasses.

gunnar glasses are a gimmick.

set your monitor brightness to 100, turn all the lights off, and open a white webpage/image. it only happens if you're doing something wrong which might be why you've never experienced it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  7. bytes

bytes Limp Gawd

If your monitor uses pwm then you could set it to 100% brightness and then calibrate your monitor to 120 cd/m2 or lower and that would stop pwm which may be what is causing your eye strain. On a pwm monitor anything under 100% brightness sucks ;)

8. King Icewind

King Icewind [H]ardness Supreme

I tried the gunnar glasses. They are overpriced and not worth it themselves, however I find anti glare glasses to be worth it.

I bought a pair of prescription glasses from eye buy direct with a flat ear piece (so I can wear headphones without it hurting eventually) along with a 10% yellow tint for $19 or whatever it was. Those are nice and I can tell a difference. You get used to the yellow tint to the point where you don't notice it for the most part. If you are doing graphic work or reading a lot on white backgrounds you will notice it then.

Eye buy direct just released some 'special' glasses meant for computer use with a blue tint. I think I might try them just to see what the blue tint is like.

9. chameleoneel

chameleoneel 2[H]4U

anything polarized will remove reflections and cut down diffuse light.

There's no reason to use various color tints with a display, since you likely already have the display tweaked to your liking or are using SweetFX, etc. Just get the closest to "clear" of a lense you can find. Most low cost polarized lenses will be some sort of gray tint, which will dark the image a bit. But you can adjust for that. It otherwise shouldn't affect colors.

Color tint lenses are meant to tweak real life to your advantage, since real life can't be tweaked via a control panel.