GameStop refused to give me my Deus Ex:HR AE pre-order

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
I paid in full two weeks ago for the augmented edition of the PC version. I don't usually pre-order physical copies of games (I mostly buy from Valve these days), but GameSpot convinced me to pay the extra money by including a bonus mission with pre-orders. When I came to pick up my copy, an employee brought out a copy with a memo rubber-banded to it that said 'DO NOT SELL'. The friendly employee called his manager, who told him that he could not legally sell me my copy (which, I remind you, I'd already paid for).

This move on GameStop's part is as ironic as it is stupid. I never would have given OnLive a dime, since I see no value in their service. On the other hand, now I will never give another cent of my hard-earned money to GameStop (or their new acquisition, Impulse). Their prices are uncompetitive and online retailers (both traditional stores and digital distribution) are hands-down more convenient. No bonus weapon, mission, or other content will ever convince me to shop there again.

Link for those who don't know what I'm talking about: http://kotaku.com/5834169/gamestop-...-shelves-following-onlive-debacle?tag=deus-ex

Yeah Gamestop is terrible in basically every regard. I haven't been following the Deus Ex shenanigans too much but it doesn't surprise me too much. I stopped using Gamestop about 4 years ago (even though console games was all I ever bought there).

So what I really want to know is: Did they refund your money, did they slap you with the bullshit "we can give you store credit" or did they say you were stuck with whatever version of the game they are allowed to sell?

Also, i'm surprised you actually had a friendly employee (and maybe a friendly manager). Every gamestop employee/manager i've ever interacted with was a total dick (about 6 different gamestops over the years).

Sorry about your troubles but the comments on the link made me laugh out loud.

So what I really want to know is: Did they refund your money, did they slap you with the bullshit "we can give you store credit" or did they say you were stuck with whatever version of the game they are allowed to sell?
If memory serves, no refund was offered. He told me that he'd call me as soon as he had a copy he was allowed to sell me. It didn't occur to me to ask for one because I'd already paid in full, and because I was trying really hard not to fly off the handle at the other innocent victim here, the employee.

If memory serves, no refund was offered. He told me that he'd call me as soon as he had a copy he was allowed to sell me. It didn't occur to me to ask for one because I'd already paid in full, and because I was trying really hard not to fly off the handle at the other innocent victim here, the employee.
I would have gone all "falling down" in that shithole. I WANT A FUCKING BREAKFAST.

You . . . . . . seriously did not ask for a refund?

It's a breach of contract for him not to have what you fucking preordered and paid for in full.

Yeah. For reasons like these and the fact that Gamestop ate up Babbages, FuncoLand and Software Ect all of which were way better than Gamestop years ago. I don't give them a dime of mine.

I hope internet software sales bury them within the next 5 years.

I would have gone all "falling down" in that shithole. I WANT A FUCKING BREAKFAST.

One copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution! $59.99. *clink-clink* My change is 0.01!.

Great movie.

Also... considering they're waiting for a recall at 'a later date' you should probably ask about a refund since it doesn't seem like there is a timeline out there for now.

You should really go back there and ask for a refund. You don't have to be a dick about it, just ask politely and see what happens. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't though...

I wouldn't have left without a full refund and the moment the manager said he wasn't legally allowed I would have called bullshit very loudly and if there were other people in the store I would have made sure to cause enough of a scene that they would hear about Gamestop's fuck-the-customer policies.

GameStop still sells PC Games? Where, out the back door? Or did they move all 2 end-cap shelves of it into the back room?

To the OP, I would've been incredibly pissed, especially since I would've been looking forward to getting the game and a delay like this would have been a kick in the nuts.

Ok, time for folks to do a reality check. "GameStop sucks" stories have been common for years now. Yet, some folks CONTINUE to buy from them. Sorry OP but, you've got no one to blame but yourself. Stop spending your money at GameStop. It isn't 'convenient' if you don't get value for your money, just stop.

Ok, time for folks to do a reality check. "GameStop sucks" stories have been common for years now. Yet, some folks CONTINUE to buy from them. Sorry OP but, you've got no one to blame but yourself. Stop spending your money at GameStop. It isn't 'convenient' if you don't get value for your money, just stop.

You can't be serious, how would he have known gamestop would pull them off the shelves due to the onlive gift certificate? No one could have expected this.

You can find horror stories about any retailer. A significant contigent of this forum refuse to buy from Steam, and refuse to buy any game with Steamworks. One of my friends has been boycotting Amazon ever since their jewelry department screwed over his dad with a damaged watch. Name a retailer, and I can find you a horror story.

I'd given this particular GameStop my business several times after purchasing a 360 and a PS3 earlier this year. The local staff was always friendly and tried their best to ensure that the used games I purchased were in working order. Based on my positive personal experiences, I figured that as long as I steered clear of the obviously bad prices and predatory "deals", I would be fine. This is a new low, even for them.

it's interesting to me how kotaku's image conveniently happens to have that important last line cropped out of the image. makes me wonder if they purposely shopped it that way for effect, or just got it from a terrible source that wants to make gamestop look as bad as possible. follow up from ars/wired with full image, note the last line:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...-ex-controversy-removes-game-from-shelves.ars

you should just go back and ask for a refund, I don't think square will be shipping this "alternate version" anytime soon.

Has Gamestop been removing those Nintendo Power sign up sheets and offers that come in Nintendo games? Those seem like they'd be in direct competition with their Game Informer magazine...

Isn't Steam a direct competitor to their digital download thing-a-ma-jig? Do they still have steamworks games?

I mean I don't really shop at gamestop. I haven't been to one in 2 years. It's not like they have the greatest PC game selection anyway.

OP: I'd just go get a refund and buy it on Steam or elsewhere.

You can find horror stories about any retailer. A significant contigent of this forum refuse to buy from Steam, and refuse to buy any game with Steamworks. One of my friends has been boycotting Amazon ever since their jewelry department screwed over his dad with a damaged watch. Name a retailer, and I can find you a horror story.

I'd given this particular GameStop my business several times after purchasing a 360 and a PS3 earlier this year. The local staff was always friendly and tried their best to ensure that the used games I purchased were in working order. Based on my positive personal experiences, I figured that as long as I steered clear of the obviously bad prices and predatory "deals", I would be fine. This is a new low, even for them.

Did you at least get your money back?

it's interesting to me how kotaku's image conveniently happens to have that important last line cropped out of the image. makes me wonder if they purposely shopped it that way for effect, or just got it from a terrible source that wants to make gamestop look as bad as possible. follow up from ars/wired with full image, note the last line:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...-ex-controversy-removes-game-from-shelves.ars

you should just go back and ask for a refund, I don't think square will be shipping this "alternate version" anytime soon.
That's slightly encouraging, at least. I hope I can find my receipt.

Does anyone know if I can get my refund from a different store from the one where I placed the pre-order?

OP: I'd just go get a refund and buy it on Steam or elsewhere.

But I want my bonus mission :(. The friendly employee even gave me a code for it! I wonder if that means I can't return it now?

Owners of the physical augmented edition, tell me this: does it come with a soundtrack audio CD, or is the soundtrack delivered as files on one of the DVDs?

I'm going to call around tomorrow and see what I can find out about getting my money back.

Last edited:
I wasn't able to find a physical AE edition ANYWHERE on release day. :(

How is that GameStop exclusive mission anyways? I really want to play it somehow.

GameStop still sells PC Games? Where, out the back door? Or did they move all 2 end-cap shelves of it into the back room?

To the OP, I would've been incredibly pissed, especially since I would've been looking forward to getting the game and a delay like this would have been a kick in the nuts.

all three of the gamestops in my area do not carry pc games, the store is a joke. if i bought this game from a gamestop (any system) i would bring it back and demand my money back. they are selling you a game they opened and removed stuff from? that is shit, complete shit.

how does it feel to pay full price for a product that has been opened, and stripped of content? class action law suit anyone?

and to the OP, get your money back!!!

Fuck that for a joke. Ask for your money back and tell them where they can shove their warehouse worth of games that they aren't giving away. There is no way that shit can be legal, "yup, you paid for your game, I'm holding your game here in my hand, but sorry you can't have it".

Bonus retailer exclusive content is not even CLOSE to being worth going through that shit, pirate the damn exclusive content if it means so much to you but dont give those fuckers one cent of your money and make sure you get every cent back off them that they have with interest.

When I came to pick up my copy, an employee brought out a copy with a memo rubber-banded to it that said 'DO NOT SELL'.

Technically, If you paid in full, you have already bought the copy. The note saying "DO NOT SELL" does not apply to you because it is already sold. You should go "falling down." Take a baseball bat. :D

I also pre-ordered BF3 for PC through Gamestop. I'm cancelling this today. Good job Gamestop. It was only $5 for the pre-order, do you think I would need my reciept?

Last edited:
The retailer bonus content almost always gets released to the masses on Steam after a few months of exclusivity (see Batman:AA, Dawn of War II), so don't let that be a heavily determining factor.

I honestly don't get why anyone, and especially PC gamers, would do business with Gamestop. They have a terrible reputation that goes back years and they're as anti PC of a game retailer as you're going to find anywhere.

I honestly don't get why anyone, and especially PC gamers, would do business with Gamestop. They have a terrible reputation that goes back years and they're as anti PC of a game retailer as you're going to find anywhere.

I still have mixed feelings about my local Gamestop. On the one hand, they're pure evil for reasons we already know. On the other hand, it's owned and managed by the same people who owned and managed the boutique software store that was there before Gamestop bought them out, and in that respect it's still a "small" local shop competing with the Walmart next door. So if other folks' Gamestops are like mine, than I can kind of understand why they keep doing business with them with their fingers crossed that they won't get screwed.

The reason that I personally don't buy from them is simply because they don't stock good PC games anymore, not because of their business practices. For console launches and games, I'm still okay with giving them a few bucks here and there. My particular store hasn't burned its bridges yet.

I decided to give Gamestop a second chance. About 4 years ago I went in there to pickup a copy of CnC 3 on release day. The employees were incredibly rude when I told them I didn't preorder and that there was no chance of getting the game on release day without preordering. I drove down the road to Best Buy, grabbed a copy off the shelf and swore I would never shop at Gamestop again.

4 years later and I decide to give them a chance. I really wanted the Tracer Tong missing as he is one of my fav Dues Ex characters. I preordered the game. I was one of the very few lucky ones who picked up the game fully intact, onlive voucher and all. Looking back it was probably because I went in right at 10am as they opened. I was suprised how smooth it went and decided to drop preorders for Rage and BF3 while I was there. After reading about all the crap they are pulling with Deus Ex, I drove back and cancelled my preorders. The manager who was on the floor at the time asked why, and I explained that after the way the company handled Deus Ex that I had no faith in getting what I paid for in a timely manner from them, and vowed I would not be returning.

It amazes me the company manages to screw up this badly consistantly. I don't understand why people shop there. I thought I might have been wrong and gave them a second chance, but I was proven right.

Here, they are about as prolific as Starbucks or McDonald's in some places. There are literally 4 of them not 1 mile from each other, although in that link the marker for the 4th one is in the wrong location, it should be showing up as in the mall.

Why they need 4 of them that close together, I'll never know. But they all pretty much suck the same.

I have to agree. I wasn't even aware that anyone over the age of 13 even shopped there.

This bullshit is really not surprising and is the main reason I don't buy from B&M stores anymore.

LOL, it's supposed to be a drama but I laughed more during it than most so-called comedies!

I also pre-ordered BF3 for PC through Gamestop. I'm cancelling this today. Good job Gamestop. It was only $5 for the pre-order, do you think I would need my reciept?
Same here, 5$ is nothing for pre-order. I think I'm going to have to go to Best Buy to get this... Lesser of two evils, I guess.

Back