GameStop Eyeballs Steam's Milkshake, Uses Battlefield 3 as the straw.

piscian18

[H]F Junkie
GameStop is apparently looking to take a bite of Steam's pie and it's going to use Battlefield 3 to do it.

Remember back in March, when GameStop acquired the Impulse digital distribution platform from Stardock? It's no Steam, but Impulse is up there among the industry's tier-two big boys like Direct2Drive and GamersGate, and the purchase made it clear that GameStop was serious about dodging the digital bullet.

The sailing seems smooth so far: industry analyst Colin Sebastian wrote in a Baird Equity Research investors report that the company expects digital sales to balloon to $1.5 billion by 2014, from a predicted $500 million for 2011. The majority of GameStop's current digital sales is DLC sold in conjunction with in-store marketing but with the acquisition of Impulse, the company plans to become a bigger player in the field, in part by taking "a meaningful share from market leader Steam."

One step in that strategy will apparently be taken with EA's modern combat shooter Battlefield 3. Rumors that the game would not appear on Steam surfaced earlier this week and the Baird report has now confirmed it. "The upcoming EA title Battlefield 3 will be sold as a download through GameStop, but not through Steam," it says. "Given Steam's dominance - and insistence on users downloading a Steam client application - publishers are likely to be receptive to a competitive alternative."

Whether or not publishers are actually looking for a "competitive alternative" to Steam, the digital marketplace is proving extremely lucrative for GameStop. The company's total sales for the first quarter of 2011 hit $2.28 billion, a year-over-year increase of 9.5 percent, while digital sales skyrocketed an astonishing 53 percent over the same period.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111680-GameStop-Eyeballs-Steams-Milkshake

No sensationalism here so back off!!! Lol, anyway the plot is thickening on this BF3 steam deal. I've heard EA claiming that steam pulled BF3 because they are the devil and hate gamers but I don't know this whole thing seems fishy. Did anyone see any official responses from valve?

GameStop is apparently looking to take a bite of Steam's pie and it's going to use Battlefield 3 to do it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111680-GameStop-Eyeballs-Steams-Milkshake

No sensationalism here so back off!!! Lol, anyway the plot is thickening on this BF3 steam deal. I've heard EA claiming that steam pulled BF3 because they are the devil and hate gamers but I don't know this whole thing seems fishy. Did anyone see any official responses from valve?

EA did not claim Steam pulled games "because they are the devil." The reason they gave is related to what was mentioned in the article -

"Given Steam's dominance - and insistence on users downloading a Steam client application - publishers are likely to be receptive to a competitive alternative."

I mentioned this before but if games are identical irrespective of the point of purchase, this will open up competition.

I do not like the current dominate business model for digital distribution where you are essentially buying access to your purchases through a service. While this can be beneficial to the consumer in providing convenience, it limits freedom and choice.

I'm a self-admitted Steam whore and I pretty much only buy games through Steam on PC (not any other DD type store), but the thing is....I don't get the hatred that some people have now for one company over another regarding games not being in Steam.

Granted, I'd rather have the games in Steam but there's other places to get them if I really want them, or I could just get a physical copy. I can do without the games and hope that they end up in Steam eventually (likelihood of which is very high because in the end it's all about the bucks).....but for people to swear up and down about one vs. the other, I say "who cares". Competition helps everyone. Steam is a juggernaut and my preferred place to buy, but other companies having their own things could put some competition into it and get all of us more sales, more discounts, and more choices. I think it's a dick move for EA to yank some of their games, but that's their call....they want to put EA games as the centerpiece of Origin; how is that any different from Valve games being the centerpiece of Steam? In the end ~ vote with your wallet. If you don't like it or you want to make a stand - don't buy it. I still haven't bought MW2 because of the "removal of dedicated server" crap but really, if the game dropped in price enough ($19.99 during the summer sale isn't good enough, Activision :rolleyes:) I'd pick it up at least to play single player; same with Black Ops.

Once yet again:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037492789&postcount=1

^^ It's interesting that EA took the link down in a mere few hours after this thread went up with the following information and it's never come back:

BF3 is currently cited as being digital download ready on every major digital download outlet except Steam. This clearly suggests that Valve is partially to blame for the game not being on Steam along with EA. Hopefully they can reach an accord.

Perhaps the reason that link was taken down was because nothing is set in stone otherwise maybe the information is on EA's site somewhere else but the list of outlets was repeated numerous times through out that thread. It's basically every major digital download outlet except Steam.

So it's not an Origin exclusive, either, like some people want to keep believing.

Now we've got this wrinkle with Gamestop. Interesting.

Negotiations could very well be ongoing. For instance just recently, Alice 2 (EA) and FEAR 3 (using Steamworks, not EA) both appeared on Steam for purchase much later than other digital distributors.

Nice There Will Be Blood reference there Mr. Daniel Plainview :p

On topic, Steam for Life.

You would think that publishers would prefer steam's platform given that it implements a form of DRM which is tolerable to most users, which is probably why they all flocked to it in the first place.

Now they have all woken up and realized they want a piece of the pie too, but at the same time eschew steam for its DRM implementation. Strange times....

You would think that publishers would prefer steam's platform given that it implements a form of DRM which is tolerable to most users, which is probably why they all flocked to it in the first place.

Now they have all woken up and realized they want a piece of the pie too, but at the same time eschew steam for its DRM implementation. Strange times....

My "Fanboy" response would be teh DRM factor is a bullshit PR excuse and just like Ubisoft we'll be stuck with EA's shitty platform no matter what outlet we purchase from.

I would buy Battlefield 3 from steam, but not from impulse.
Since I don't give Gamestop any of my business, looks like it will be the boxed version for me.

I would buy Battlefield 3 from steam, but not from impulse.
Since I don't give Gamestop any of my business, looks like it will be the boxed version for me.

This seems to be many a pc gamers sentiment. Hopefully it's not just a vocal minority. If it weren't one of my most anticipated games ever I'd skip it outright but I mean it's Battlefield 3! so...boxed copy.

Boxed copy for me I wouldn't even contemplate otherwise. Just like bc2. Not needing steam or shitty origin for a multiplayer game is just as exciting as the actual game for me

I've had a boxed copy pre-ordered from GameStop since the day it was available. If I cannot have a boxed copy, the only other option I would consider would be Steam. My library there is already ginormous and I'd prefer to keep all my digital copies in one place.

The few digital products I've purchased from EA have all ended in a bad experience. Their current downloader has improved, but it's still an unreliable mess. They are going to have to go a long freakin' way to prove any service they offer is anything more then a cheap, thrown together facade to facility the transfer of more money in their direction. Five minutes on their "Gun Club" site is proof enough of that. I don't fault them for getting into the digital market, but I do fault them for continuing to carry on their long heritage of screwing customers for a quick buck. Valve isn't perfect, but they've always been legit with me.

I do not like the current dominate business model for digital distribution where you are essentially buying access to your purchases through a service. While this can be beneficial to the consumer in providing convenience, it limits freedom and choice.

I got into PC gaming because of choice, and choice brings lower prices.
Steam my have a good sale every six months , but the prices on their new releases are awful.

Boxed copy for me I wouldn't even contemplate otherwise. Just like bc2. Not needing steam or shitty origin for a multiplayer game is just as exciting as the actual game for me

I got a boxed copy of BC2 and it was the best decision I made really. Looking forward to more boxed copies of new releases. Usually I get a much better deal.

So, I wonder if Valve is going to start self publishing games, start their own publishing games or find another company because of this.

If by strong arm you mean a less than gentle reach around.

Probably. Gamestop is the reason publishers charge the same price for digitally-distributed games as the boxed versions on release, so forcing gamers out of the ridiculously dominant DD-platform to get BF3 digitally isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

The main reason I buy my games thru Steam is the prices as I pretty much only buy when they have their sales.

The other reason is because I like having my games managed in one location/utility that I can launch from there, keep track of hours logged and so on.

If there becomes 20 different "Steams" and I have to have my games spread out all over 20 different places, this defeats the purpose entirely and Ill go back to buying retail or used.

All these places popping up will eventually kill the digital download business by killing the main reason its so successful, namely convenience.

Once yet again:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037492789&postcount=1

^^ It's interesting that EA took the link down in a mere few hours after this thread went up with the following information and it's never come back:

BF3 is currently cited as being digital download ready on every major digital download outlet except Steam. This clearly suggests that Valve is partially to blame for the game not being on Steam along with EA. Hopefully they can reach an accord.

Perhaps the reason that link was taken down was because nothing is set in stone otherwise maybe the information is on EA's site somewhere else but the list of outlets was repeated numerous times through out that thread. It's basically every major digital download outlet except Steam.

So it's not an Origin exclusive, either, like some people want to keep believing.

Now we've got this wrinkle with Gamestop. Interesting.

Certainly not Origin exclusive. Do we know whether it will require an Origin account/client like steam? I'm guessing it will.

Certainly not Origin exclusive. Do we know whether it will require an Origin account/client like steam? I'm guessing it will.

Wouldn't surprise me. I won't care if it does myself.

If it's good enough for Steam and Valve, even on a number of third party games like Fear 3 and Fallout New Vegas where I HAVE to have Steam to play them, then I guess it's good enough for EA on their own first party games.

Negotiations could very well be ongoing. For instance just recently, Alice 2 (EA) and FEAR 3 (using Steamworks, not EA) both appeared on Steam for purchase much later than other digital distributors.

They did that with Sims 3 and Sims Medieval too, both games arriving at Steam much later than other digital distributors.

Wouldn't surprise me if they pull the same move with Battlefield 3.:(

I think the whole situation is still fluid which is why EA took that link listing all the retailers down only a few hours after Defiant put that thread up with the link in it.

I really wouldn't be surprised to turn around here sometime before this game comes out in the next 3 months and see that Steam gets added to that list of digital download outlets.

I'm betting this is entirely EA's doing, it doesn't make any sense what so ever for valve to not want a blockbuster game like bf3 in their store. Unless valve has some kind of direct competitor to bf3 coming out in a few months that they have for what ever reason not said word one about, this move doesn't make sense for them. This is EA whoring them selves to game stop for a bigger cut from the msrp and its stupid because they are going to loose sales over this. Maybe not day 1 sales but battlefield 2 didnt sell all 9 million copies day 1, not having this game plastered all over the steam store is a huge mistake.

Some of you guys will die old grumpy men who only buy from Steam, even if they sell out to the public become the next EA. Just like grumpy old farts who stay on Internet Explorer 6 because it's just conveniently there, with all the bookmarks. It's too adventurous to go off your front lawn to try new sources, (which btw aren't as inconvenient as you might think). Do what you want. Some of you crack me up. Just know that Steam isn't needed to launch your favorite browser, your word processor, email, etc..; another game won't hurt, and most digital distributors don't even require a client.

Btw multiplicity is better for the market. It keeps steam competitive.

Oh hey, also I heard mac is more convenient than windows. :D

Wouldn't surprise me. I won't care if it does myself.

If it's good enough for Steam and Valve, even on a number of third party games like Fear 3 and Fallout New Vegas where I HAVE to have Steam to play them, then I guess it's good enough for EA on their own first party games.

Yeah, I don't like it, but I also don't like New Vegas requiring steam. I'll buy games from Origin if it's a good price. Not much more motivation than that though.

Didn't EA try to buy Steam last year? Could this be EA waiting til it had Origin ready and then snubbing Steam, but not Steam's competitors?

It could be, but then again, it may just be that I ordered too much tinfoil and have started to make hats, swords and armor out of it.

Didn't EA try to buy Steam last year?

Is that true?!

Could this be EA waiting til it had Origin ready and then snubbing Steam, but not Steam's competitors?

It could be, but then again, it may just be that I ordered too much tinfoil and have started to make hats, swords and armor out of it.

I suppose you can't rule anything out but I really see this as a situation where Valve tripped on something somewhere with EA that apparently no one else had any problems with. Hopefully EA and Valve can reach an accord soon. :)

Yeah, I don't like it, but I also don't like New Vegas requiring steam. I'll buy games from Origin if it's a good price. Not much more motivation than that though.

It's used as DRM.

If I have to have DRM then I guess I'd rather it be something like Steam that offers me cool features and such vs. throwing some SecuRom on there or that disasterous garbage Ubisoft was trying out or GFWL which is utterly useless so all that being said I could easily see EA using Origin in the same DRM role as we're Steam being used as.

If that's the ONLY DRM I have to see on these games...something like that vs examples like what I cited...I'll live with it.

After that my wallet makes the call.

hmm.... this is all very interesting....
ironically, i only own BC2 because it was $7.99 during a Steam sale.
all this politics is putting a bad taste in my mouth. I'll wait till I see a similar deal for BF3. I'm not supporting these antics. what a bunch of nonsense.

EA has clearly stated they are trying to work something out with Steam. All of the rage over a list on a website that has been taken down is ridiculous. We're still a ways off from release.

Good. I like competition. This whole attitude where people whine that they can't access everything together in one place has nothing to do with the actual steam interface. You do know you can add non-steam games to steam right? And take advantage of all those features and be able to launch them from steam and have your friends and community playing them right?

The whole idea of a monopolistic service controlling all access to games like the equivalent of having a console built into your PC where you are stuck using that one service to access your games and don't have an alternative and the owners of that service have tremendous control and power over the marketplace.

I have never had a problem buying from the cheapest digital download store and just adding them to steam as an easy way to organize my games. The only issue I have with Origin and where Steam wins hands down is that Origin only guarantees downloads for a year.

If everybody really wants a service that does everything including game organization, downloading, tracking, community, etc. that is not tied to a specific publisher/game developer, perhaps we might hope in the future the segment may move to an open source system that acts as a front end for all the games we buy from these services.

You do know you can add non-steam games to steam right? And take advantage of all those features and be able to launch them from steam and have your friends and community playing them right?

Doesn't work on non-steam games to my knowledge. Ive tried it with several games and none of them worked. I'm talking about being able to check and join your friends games/servers.

Wait..I thought PC gamers only pirated their games and didnt pay for them..There was no money to be made on PC gaming..blah blah blah..:rolleyes:

Doesn't work on non-steam games to my knowledge. Ive tried it with several games and none of them worked. I'm talking about being able to check and join your friends games/servers.

I meant your friends can see you playing them. Aren't the ability to join servers through Steam only through Valve games and the few games that rely completely on steam for DRM or have the multiplayer tied to Steam?

I own BFBC2 from the EA Store but I access it through Steam. Of course I use the in game server browser to join servers, etc.

Wait..I thought PC gamers only pirated their games and didnt pay for them..There was no money to be made on PC gaming..blah blah blah..:rolleyes:

We are talking about corporations, a reality where all PC gamers are pirates that make creating PC games unprofitable, while digital PC games distribution is still somehow profitable, is possible.

In their whacked out minds at least.

Is that true?!

I believe what he is actually referring to is the speculation of EA buying Valve, not just Steam by itself. Keep in mind Valve and EA have a relationship with the publishing and distribution for retail.

hmm.... this is all very interesting....
ironically, i only own BC2 because it was $7.99 during a Steam sale.
all this politics is putting a bad taste in my mouth. I'll wait till I see a similar deal for BF3. I'm not supporting these antics. what a bunch of nonsense.

Other digital distributors, including Origin, have sales as well. In many cases these prices not just match Steams, but beat them.

One notable thing is other digital distributors have shown the willingness to aggressively price down preorder/new titles, something Steam never has.

I have never had a problem buying from the cheapest digital download store and just adding them to steam as an easy way to organize my games. The only issue I have with Origin and where Steam wins hands down is that Origin only guarantees downloads for a year.

Steam actually does not guarantee downloads at all (actually the opposite) in writing. I think the only service that has some sort of unlimited download guarantee in writing is D2D, but even then there are some conditions.

Other digital distributors, including Origin, have sales as well. In many cases these prices not just match Steams, but beat them.

One notable thing is other digital distributors have shown the willingness to aggressively price down preorder/new titles, something Steam never has.

I wasn't claiming exclusivity to Steam, just that I'd rather not give anyone my money if they are going to fight like little children. Whoever has the best price after all this BS settles, gets my money (minus Gamestop, fuck them for life), that is, if I'm still interested by then.... I have plenty of other games to play.

I wasn't claiming exclusivity to Steam, just that I'd rather not give anyone my money if they are going to fight like little children. Whoever has the best price after all this BS settles, gets my money (minus Gamestop, fuck them for life), that is, if I'm still interested by then.... I have plenty of other games to play.

I thought your initial comment was either a reference to Steam being the only place that offers sales or the only digital alternative to retail, since both of these seem to be a common misconception.

Valve has spent years building a relationship of trust with consumers.

Gamestop has spent years screwing people over for short term gains. I will never buy a game from Gamestop.

Back