Gamestop employees talked me out of buying a PS3

aggr1103

[H]ard|Gawd
So my wife and I have been talking about selling my 360 because I'm just not playing it like I used to. We were considering purchasing a PS3 for the blu-ray drive and free access to the PSN so I could play DC Universe online and the upcoming Counter-Strike game.

To make a long story short, the two guys at Gamestop basically told me to stick with my 360 because they said that the PSN went down constantly and PS3's were difficult to put onto wireless networks :confused:. They also said that buffering for Netflix was terrible on the PS3 compared to the 360. I mentioned to them that I used to own a PSP and had zero problems connecting to the PSN and playing games online against other people. Their reply to me was basically that I would be taking a gamble buying a PS3 if I ever wanted to play games online.

Am I just dealing with two inept Gamestop employees, or are the issues about the PSN they mentioned valid?

Well, PSN had gone down a few times due to hacking, and recently for service (it's now called "Sony Entertainment Network"). However, it shouldn't be an issue. Netflix, iirc, is streamed from Netflix itself over AT&T's backbone.

As for Netflix content quality, iirc, the PS3 is the only platform that recieves 5.1 audio, though some say the xbox360 video quality is more consistant (I cannot compare myself, as I've already sold off my last PS3).

IMO, just get one. If it fails to perform well, return it.

inept employees

the psn, netflix, and wireless are fine on my ps3 and my housemate's

I wouldn't say it was down all the time. They had that problem getting hacked last year but haven't ever had a problem other than that. I have my son's wireless, and it's OK. Netflix has been good what little I've tried, but never used it over wireless on my own PS3. I will say I got my son Lego Star Wars and it never would connect to a game online. But I've never had a problem with any other online game.

PS3 is fine.

Everyone who works at Gamestop is an idiot. That is not a blanket statement, or hyperbole. It's scientific fact.

So my wife and I have been talking about selling my 360 because I'm just not playing it like I used to. We were considering purchasing a PS3 for the blu-ray drive and free access to the PSN so I could play DC Universe online and the upcoming Counter-Strike game.

To make a long story short, the two guys at Gamestop basically told me to stick with my 360 because they said that the PSN went down constantly and PS3's were difficult to put onto wireless networks :confused:. They also said that buffering for Netflix was terrible on the PS3 compared to the 360. I mentioned to them that I used to own a PSP and had zero problems connecting to the PSN and playing games online against other people. Their reply to me was basically that I would be taking a gamble buying a PS3 if I ever wanted to play games online.

Am I just dealing with two inept Gamestop employees, or are the issues about the PSN they mentioned valid?

The employee's are retarded Xbox loyalists, never had any problems with my PS3 playing netflix streams, connecting to PSN (only time it won't is due to requiring an update), DC Universe runs just fine as well.

Only time I had trouble getting onto the PSN was during that whole hacker data leak nonsense.

The PSN only goes down every once in a while now-days for maintenance, THOUGH SOME GAMES will still let you play online, you just won't be able to access the store or some games. You can still surf the web though. The free online is awesome, and I've used Netflix on both a PS3 and a 360, both wireless, and the PS3 is a little better IMHO. If the quality of Netflix goes down on Xbox, you'll get a nice "Changing quality" screen, whereas on the PS3, if the quality goes down a little, the quality of the video will just lower, or go back to HD or whatever you have selected, so you don't get a sudden pause. Though, they both still pause sometimes randomly. That's what you get for using wireless to watch Netflix.

I have had no problems connecting to my hidden wireless network on my PS3.
Oh, and if you play online games, mainly COD or the likes, there is fewer tweens. :p

Oh, and the network goes under maintenance on weekdays... which is a nice plus.

I could list a shit ton of positives the PS3 has over the Xbox, but I don't want people to think I'm a fanboy. THey're both alright, I just prefer the PS3.

I haven't had a single problem with watching netflix over wifi. It's been great and I'm going in to cancel my TV service because of it. Aside from the hacking I haven't had any downtime either, at least not when I'm on.

Thread covers it well. No issues with my PS3. I'm seriously considering selling it because I too never have time to play, but that's another issue entirely.

Pics or shins man I've never had Gamestop employees not try to sell me something or leave me the fuck alone when I just want to browse the store. They are really pushy.

Why would you trust Gamestop employees? I find it dumb that they are trying to prevent you from buying something that you clearly want.

I had ZERO problems with my Playstation 3, and I've had mine, it was one of the last 80 GB models made.

I have no problems with my ps3 or 360, GameStop employees think they know everything, I dint argue with them because it's a waste of time!

I've seen 3 year old dead threads better informed than most GameStop employees that I've talked to.
It's practically a techies career equivalent of flipping burgers. Just go to any of the million videogame fanboi forums pitting xbox vs. ps3, close your eyes and randomly pick one post and it would hold as much weight as these two bozo's opionion.

Last edited:
I stream netflix 5 times a week on ps3 only time I ever had a problem was when my network went down.

I don't own a PS3 but I do own a 360 and have friends with a PS3: While I can't testify to the network connectivity capability of the PS3, I can say this: The Netflix browser on the PS3 is far far far better than the Netflix browser on the 360 without a doubt. It has a better GUI in terms of user friendliness, layout, and search ability. One of my buddies has a PS3 and a 360. Whenever we watch Netflix at her house, we always choose to watch on the PS3 since the interface is that much better in our opinion. So for Netflix, I'd go with the PS3. Haven't noticed any buffering issues with the PS3 either.

Why would you trust Gamestop employees?

I don't. Its just as others have already said it was just odd that they stopped me from buying a PS3. I know they don't make commission, but still...

I didn't even ask for their opinion, they just offered it up.

Last edited:
So you let them talk you out of buying something you wanted?

You must not have really wanted it then. Most people should be making informed purchases, there is the internet for that.

The wireless cards in the PS3 tend to degrade and eventually go out. The new ones are far better than the launch or early models which should be plugged in via cord. The weak wireless connection also causes viewing Netflix to have a grainy look, although I have never had any problems with it needing to constantly buffer (sometimes drastic changes in quality though). When I started plugging my PS3 into my router it fixed this problem and sped up system updates by at least 5 times.

I don't really know that much about PSN. I tend to buy large multiplatform games on the 360 for XBL. I have played Killzone 3 quite a bit on PSN and have found it enjoyable and no major outages during the last few months when I have been playing.

360 does netflix with 5.1 after the recent update.

o.0 Any samples? I've tried hooking my reciever up directly to the xbox, and while some games (most parts of Forza 4) have surround, I haven't found a netflix title with surround, yet :(

Why would you trust Gamestop employees?

Meh, when someone warns me about something I'll always pause for a second and double check my info, even if it is just an ignorant shop keeper. You never know if they might have information you might have missed. How much of a dumb arse would you feel like if you bought it against their advice, got it home and had all the problems they spoke about :p

So you let them talk you out of buying something you wanted?

You must not have really wanted it then. Most people should be making informed purchases, there is the internet for that.

Actually I came back here for a second opinion. They didn't talk me out of anything. Still looking at my options. Guess if I would've bought it when they recommended against it it would've been an informed purchase. Nice try at trolling though.

The wireless cards in the PS3 tend to degrade and eventually go out.

This could be the issue that one of the employees said he had with his PS3. He said that wireless was terrible on his PS3 and that he had difficulty connecting to his router. I mentioned he could have a bad router and he gave me a blank stare. No telling though.

Trolling? Laugh.

You came here for a second opinion, meaning they did talk you out of it (at the point of sale)? I'm not trying to troll, just stating how I see it. I've had my PS3 since launch as do my other friends, maybe I'm just lucky with no Wi-Fi issues.

Trolling? Laugh.

You came here for a second opinion, meaning they did talk you out of it (at the point of sale)? I'm not trying to troll, just stating how I see it. I've had my PS3 since launch as do my other friends, maybe I'm just lucky with no Wi-Fi issues.

Check my original post. I never said I was at the point of sale. I only walked into the store to do price research.

The "long story short" part of it was that I just walked in looking for information on what models - new/used - they had in stock. I was also checking to see what they would take for my 360 and games in trade. I was planning on bringing this information back to my wife so we could look at our finances and determine whether or not we would buy something locally or online.

I was dumbfounded at the fact that even if I was going to buy at that point or had the cash in my pocket they were going to tell a customer NOT to buy.

You're right. You're not a troll. You just make broad assumptions.

Read your own thread title. It's not a broad assumption. I read it like I see it. Make better thread titles next time maybe?

Why are you getting so defensive? I'm not attacking you, lol...

Owning both systems, I prefer the PS3, but wish it would gain some XBL polish. Playing online with the xbox is simple, trying to get together with friends and stay in the same games etc isnt a problem. On the PS3 its a frigging nightmare of menus and submenus and half the time we end up in different matches anyways.

you could get them fired by reporting them to their boss and no they were just being xbox fanboys...

you could get them fired by reporting them to their boss and no they were just being xbox fanboys...

Its a new Gamestop in a poor town surrounded by an extremely poor county. It has local competition from a used dvd/game/comic store that has better prices and is well-established.

I doubt it stays open very long anyway.

[evo];1038373044 said:
Owning both systems, I prefer the PS3, but wish it would gain some XBL polish. Playing online with the xbox is simple, trying to get together with friends and stay in the same games etc isnt a problem. On the PS3 its a frigging nightmare of menus and submenus and half the time we end up in different matches anyways.

This I can agree with, XBOX does indeed have a better interface to get things done easier.

I have both consoles and have had no issues connecting with either. Netflix works fine on both. One of my coworkers had connection problems with his PS3. The problem was that his router was assigning the same IP address to his PS3 and his kid's laptop. I just gave his PS3 a static IP address and the problem went away.

Before I get told I'm full of it, the laptop now connects without issues too. Prior to this neither would connect.

I did find my PS3 a bit laggy and the patch downloads etc were slow as hell. giving it a static IP and putting it in the DMZ cleared that up fantastically.

I use mine with wireless and netflix and dont have any problems, but I dont know if Id trade in my 360 just to get blu ray. Theyre basically the exact same thing.

Good advice, I have both a 360 and a PS3 and my 360 gets much much much more use!

using PS3 and Xbox in same network same distance from our router and the 360 by far outperforms it on wireless. PS3 is always slower to download content and perform system updates....

why, i'd rather have some one give me a reason not to buy something then push me to buy something with a bunch of bullshit information that most tech retail employee's try to do just to get a sale even though they don't get commission. sure they could of been xbox fanboy's but who cares.

The only advice managers want staff giving customers is directions to the most expensive merchandise in the store.

Back