Gamestop Employees Claim New Red Dead Redemption 2 Demo "Put Them to Sleep"

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Rockstar showed off a new live demo of Red Dead Redemption 2 to Gamestop employees at the recent 2018 GME Conference in Indianapolis, but reception was, at least partially, lukewarm. While most attendees agreed the game looked gorgeous, some described it as a boring “horse riding simulator” that put them to sleep. In Rockstar’s defense, the appeal and mechanics of an open-world title may be tough to translate through a simple presentation.

"Beautiful game, but mostly just saw horse riding simulator. Very difficult to stay awake..." said one commenter on Reddit, while another said: "There was a shootout after a bank heist but before the heist we saw 15 minutes of meandering through some woods and some plucky guitar playing." When asked if the game looked fun, they replied: "Shootout looked decent, the bank heist was slowly paced. The game will be great and sell like mad but the demo they showed was really dry."

Two millennials bored because game didn’t have enough explosions.

This is 100% true! I'm a millennial in my mid 30s and if I don't see an explosion at least twice an hour I fall asleep.

I've got a solution though:

It's an absolute travesty that this game isn't coming out on PC though. I guess Rockstar is still trying to work out how they can monetize this game to the same extent that they've done with GTAV.

Reading into their reactions, it sounds like Rockstar just put on a bad demo. A meandering demo with very little action and just a bunch of riding around on a horse is a pretty bad way to show off a game for an event, especially when its after the event already had its guests busy with other things the entire day.

To be fair to the gamestop employees the timing of the showing was really unfortunate.

"To give a little context, everyone was exhausted from the week and it's the last thing they showed us," explained another attendee.

If I'd worked all week and then had to watch a 30 minute gameplay trailer before I could go home... I might find it put me to sleep too. I'm sure RDR2 will be just fine.

It's an absolute travesty that this game isn't coming out on PC though. I guess Rockstar is still trying to work out how they can monetize this game to the same extent that they've done with GTAV.

GTA V was great but the way they treat PC players and their ridiculous moves towards monetization means they lost any future business from me.

I'm not going to pay much attention to this title, until there is a PC announcement. There's no way I'm buying this on PS4 then feeling the need to buy the 'definitive' PC version when that comes along.

I would rather load skyrim and ride a horse with the fps locked to 144 and watch the hilarity ensue

If you like horse riding in regular Skyrim, you should try it in Skyrim VR. I play that all of the time and the horse riding is epic. Only runs at 90fps, but still great fun.

This is 100% true! I'm a millennial in my mid 30s and if I don't see an explosion at least twice an hour I fall asleep.

I've got a solution though:

I'm 99.9% sure it's coming to PC - heck, there's been some leaked resumes where devs have listed the PC for it. Apparently the only reason the first didn't come to PC is that they inherited a mess of a codebase and it would have required significant rewrites that it didn't make sense to do it.

They're just going to double dip like GTA5. Won't mention the PC until holiday season '19 (maybe '20) starts to roll around. Then they'll announce it with some new feature (first person or something) and a few tweaks.

Good, the games I like the most tend to get this response from those that prefer their games to be like a Michael Bay movie. There's nothing wrong with preferring faster paced games I just find them to be too shallow and repetitive.

I do hope this one comes to PC so I can play it and that the inevitable multiplayer cash grab portion doesn't bleed over into the single player portion.

You know, just for a second, think about something: They might just be right. RDR was great to watch its movies and cutscenes, but going from A to B was a boring exercise in horse stamina management. Its GTA without the fun of getting places. That part of RDR truly did suck. Now while I'm sure RDRII will be far more control friendly and fun to play as an open world game.....its still going to be dull as hell riding horses from point A to B, so I'm hoping at some point they introduce horseless carriages or something....some Wild Wild West type stuff, just to break up the monotony.

Good, the games I like the most tend to get this response from those that prefer their games to be like a Michael Bay movie. There's nothing wrong with preferring faster paced games I just find them to be too shallow and repetitive.

I do hope this one comes to PC so I can play it and that the inevitable multiplayer cash grab portion doesn't bleed over into the single player portion.

On the other hand, I find constant fetch quests, fetching of items, large empty maps with junk content designed to artificially length the game to be shallow and repetitive. Maybe they're just getting pissed off with the bland copy/paste that AAA games are doing. GTA4 was a horrible game that sucked in every way possible. GTAV was passable but still shallow and under developed. Horrific combat, horrific weapon selection wheel, dull empty map, horrible mission design - you name it. Same can be said for games like Breathe of the Wild, the recent Assassin's Creed, ect. The bigger the game, the less detail is put in. Developers seem to be taking the lazy approach these days with empty maps and copy/paste content. Too many are too lazy to make an interesting concept and capitalize on it. Instead they use the same tired mechanics and put in a lot of garbage content. Take throwing darts in GTA. Boring, stupid, and not well done. Maybe they could have made shooting not feel like shit, since you constantly slaughter wave after wave of police officers. Instead they wasted time on side content that was worthless.

I suppose these Gamestop guys are hating the trend as well.

On the other hand, I find constant fetch quests, fetching of items, large empty maps with junk content designed to artificially length the game to be shallow and repetitive. Maybe they're just getting pissed off with the bland copy/paste that AAA games are doing. GTA4 was a horrible game that sucked in every way possible. GTAV was passable but still shallow and under developed. Horrific combat, horrific weapon selection wheel, dull empty map, horrible mission design - you name it. Same can be said for games like Breathe of the Wild, the recent Assassin's Creed, ect. The bigger the game, the less detail is put in. Developers seem to be taking the lazy approach these days with empty maps and copy/paste content. Too many are too lazy to make an interesting concept and capitalize on it. Instead they use the same tired mechanics and put in a lot of garbage content. Take throwing darts in GTA. Boring, stupid, and not well done. Maybe they could have made shooting not feel like shit, since you constantly slaughter wave after wave of police officers. Instead they wasted time on side content that was worthless.

I suppose these Gamestop guys are hating the trend as well.

Fetch quests are just lazy design and have nothing to do with whether a game is fast paced or slow paced. I would consider all of the games you mentioned fast paced(with the exception of BOTW since I haven't even looked at it) since you're never more than a few minutes away from an action sequence, they're designed to be learned in a few minutes with almost no effort, and offer little to no creativity in how to approach most objectives. I will say that the story in GTA IV is slow but that's not what I meant.

I think you're confusing longer games with what I mean when I say slower paced, they often are longer games but don't have to be. By slower paced I mean a game with some depth to the game mechanics and options in how to approach things, unfortunately it's difficult to do correctly and the complexity makes for a steep learning curve that many people are understandably not willing to deal with for entertainment.

In the end there's a lot more than how fast paced a game is that determines whether I'll like it but comments like the ones quoted make me think that they don't like it for reasons that will make me like it more.

Sounds like 2 bitching employees who stayed up too late the night before
Right? I'm wondering how the hell anyone can fall asleep 10 minutes into a video, regardless what/ how dry it is. It's getting a little tiresome how overly dramatic/whiny everyone is these days!

Ahh yes rockstar the Carl's jr of the corporate gaming world.

But ... But ... The burgers! And the Fruit Loop doughnuts, that was cutting edge. And they own the copyright on that Smiley Star, no one is ever taking that from them.

I do think RockStar has some imagination, they do things the way they see fit (may they burn in hell for not acknowledging the supremacy of the PC Master Race.) I liked L.A. Noire just because it was different.

Yes, yes we all know that Gamestop is a giant joke. On the other hand it also sounds like that demo was a terrible way to show off a game known for having a huge world and lots of different gameplay elements.

Large parts of RDR were boring. I think people have somehow forgotten how slow the game was and apply their GTAV love to RDR2.

Last edited:
Large parts of RDR were boring. I think people have somehow forgotten how slow the game was and apply their GTAV love to RDR2.
Yup, clearly people forgot you thought large parts of RDR were slow and boring.

Or, possibly, not everyone likes and/or dislikes the same things. :nailbiting:

Also I’m pretty sure the GameStop employees who said it looked boring are soon to be unemployed

if it ever comes to PC, i would give it a shot. i like open world games.

Sounds like a personal problem PC port is a must we need to fall asleep as well. These big screen lcd panels are the blame which wires the brain to focus on the size not what they are seeing mentally.

I've liked all the recent open-world Rockstar titles, but I definitely liked the pace of RDR. For one, you could still fast travel if you wanted... I just never did, because I loved riding around, taking in the serene scenes in between action and random events, hunting, etc. To each their own, but anyone calling RDR "boring" as if it applies to everyone is probably also the type that refuses to watch anything over 15 mins on YouTube or anywhere else... A generation of full-blown ADD sufferers, that's so normal now they actually medicate it less!

I've liked all the recent open-world Rockstar titles, but I definitely liked the pace of RDR. For one, you could still fast travel if you wanted... I just never did, because I loved riding around, taking in the serene scenes in between action and random events, hunting, etc. To each their own, but anyone calling RDR "boring" as if it applies to everyone is probably also the type that refuses to watch anything over 15 mins on YouTube or anywhere else... A generation of full-blown ADD sufferers, that's so normal now they actually medicate it less!

I agree, i didn't fast travel either.

Also, you can't watch a video on youtube longer than 15 minutes because it has 12 commercials :p

Back