Gamestop/EB cannot meet all their preorders

lol... I'm so tempted to continue those posts above mine. I wont though, I'll just say they're screwed and yeah, saw this coming.

DO IT, Get to the Chopper!

But anyways this blows for people who were last on the pre order list at EB or GS

Well, same thing happened with the 360, so, no real surprise. I will give props to EB for standing up and offering a $20 store credit to anyone who has a delay though, at least if you get bumped you do get a little back.

i am so glad that i didnt sell my preorder. i was tempted by seeing those 1500-2000 prices being floated around. i was #8 in line so i have no idea if I'm going to make the cut.

the guy that confirmed his order....how did u do that? just call the store?

That meager $20 isn't going to cover the cost of the Paypal transfer fees that you're going to have to eat on those $1000+ purchases when you pay the money back.

I'm glad I didn't get caught up in this mess. I was in the BestBuy.com fiasco but that didn't really cost me anything.

SkyyNet said:
i am so glad that i didnt sell my preorder. i was tempted by seeing those 1500-2000 prices being floated around. i was #8 in line so i have no idea if I'm going to make the cut.

the guy that confirmed his order....how did u do that? just call the store?

call the store. they will have your place in line.

I just called the EB where I have a reserve and she told me they don't know anything about it but someone else had called to ask the same question this morning.

I got her to confirm my name is on the pre-order list but she said they are not written down in any order ! So I'm definitely getting there early in case they do get shorted !
LMAO #1 in line gets there 2 hours after they open because of work and doesn't get one.

:rolleyes:

Stereophile said:
I just called the EB where I have a reserve and she told me they don't know anything about it but someone else had called to ask the same question this morning.

I got her to confirm my name is on the pre-order list but she said they are not written down in any order ! So I'm definitely getting there early in case they do get shorted !
LMAO #1 in line gets there 2 hours after they open because of work and doesn't get one.

shouldnt the times be on the reciepts?

JR_Rider said:
shouldnt the times be on the reciepts?

Sadly no.
This EB had a problem with its cash register the morning of the pre-order.
So they took the first 16 people's names and info on a sheet of paper and said come back later when the register is online.
Some people were kind of pissed off since they had to go into work and couldn't come back and pay until that evening.

I just went to IHOP and came back like an hour later and paid the $100.
I was really #11 in line, although my receipt will show me closer to the start of the line, probably first 5.

The point is this store basically didn't keep track and will give out the pre-orders to the people on the pre-order list first come first serve. Now she says her manager said they're getting all 16 but who knows ?
I'm not taking chances. I'll have to camp for at least an hour on the morning of launch in case this EB does end up getting shorted some units. If they kept the list order, they could get shorted 5 units and I'd still be okay but I can't trust them not to screw me.

Stereophile said:

tell her to pull her journal tape for that day and compile a list of names/times from it.

if she argues, get her district managers number and call him/her and tell him/her you want that done as its fair.

seriously any manager who cant come up with this simple fix doesnt deserve to be there.

Even if names are not on the journal, the credit card/checking info should be. All she has to do is ask people how they paid, and ask for the last 4 digits of the cc number to compare to the journal.

Cash might be a problem, but I didnt see anyone pay down a hundred in cash anywhere I went.

I was just called today. I am 9 out of 14 on the preorder list. The manager told me I would still be receiving mine. The 10th person doesn't get theirs. What a bummer.

laxmiddi44 said:
I was just called today. I am 9 out of 14 on the preorder list. The manager told me I would still be receiving mine. The 10th person doesn't get theirs. What a bummer.

Yep, that's the case I'm in. I'm #10 on the list at the store near me. Got a call on Saturday saying I would get one, got really excited, only to get a call today saying they are getting less than initially thought and I am not guaranteed a system on Friday now, but could still get one if someone backed out or got one more system in. I'm first in line for the second shipment, which I was told would be another week or two.

They called about an hour later after telling me I wasn't getting one to tell me someone backed out on the cheaper model and it could be mine if I wanted it, but I passed, as I'd rather have the 60gb.

what I'm wondering is how many times EG games will screw people over before everyone learns not to buy from them... I thought the xbox 360 fiasco would have been enough.

Tell me again why people give $100 to these companies a month (or more) they get a product?

VoodooChi|d said:
Tell me again why people give $100 to these companies a month (or more) they get a product?
Maybe because a lot of people don't find waiting in line for an entire day or more to be very appealing?

dotK said:
Maybe because a lot of people don't find waiting in line for an entire day or more to be very appealing?
Didn't they do that already for the pre-order?

I called my Gamestop just now and the guy said that he heard about EB/Gamestop not being able to meet the preorders however nobody has told them anything yet. He said they are still scheduled to get 12 PS3s. He did tell me to call back later on in the week just to make sure.

I still plan to camp out to get one just in case. If I can get 2 of them at launch I'll just sell the other to pay for the one I camped for. If I dont get the pre-order at launch I'll probably still get one before xmas and then I can sell it then. I'm not worried......yet

Psychotext said:
Didn't they do that already for the pre-order?
There was A LOT less waiting on that day. I barely waited in line at all.

dotK said:
There was A LOT less waiting on that day. I barely waited in line at all.
You maybe. There were plenty of people here that lined up overnight.

Psychotext said:
You maybe. There were plenty of people here that lined up overnight.

Sucks to be them.
I waited all of 2 minutes.

Toys R Us pre-order, on the other hand, was a proper 15+ hour odyssey. :p

K600 said:
That meager $20 isn't going to cover the cost of the Paypal transfer fees that you're going to have to eat on those $1000+ purchases when you pay the money back.

I'm glad I didn't get caught up in this mess. I was in the BestBuy.com fiasco but that didn't really cost me anything.

That's assuming that the person bought the unit in order to re-sell it, a lot of the pre-orders and regular orders are people planning on keeping the system.

Also, if I had gotten a pre-order on e-bay and sold it, I certainly wouldn't give the money back if EB screwed up. If I sold a pre-order, then I sold a pre-order, and the buyer gets that pre-order whenever the store gets the unit in stock.

Jared701 said:
what I'm wondering is how many times EG games will screw people over before everyone learns not to buy from them... I thought the xbox 360 fiasco would have been enough.

I can tell you this when you are a retailer and a vendor tells you you are going to get x amount and you sell x amount then vendor comes back a week before delivery or less and tells you you are going to get x-1 that isn't the retailers fault.

And yeah working launch days is miserable.

VoodooChi|d said:

I wasn't going to pre-order, but when I called the local EB about a mile from work shortly after they opened that day of taking pre-orders and found out that half had been taken, I ran down there and signed up. I was #10 out of 16 and no one else was in the store when I ordered mine.

Jared701 said:

It's not their fault this time. Unlike with the 360, they took limited pre-orders based on their initial estimate of PS3 allocation. They didn't allow every jimbob that walked in to pre-order like they did with the 360.

Had Sony not cut their initial shipment multiple times, I'm sure they would have covered all their pre-orders.

my buddy just went to the store that he preordered at and they told him he will not be getting his PS3 at launch. he was #11 and they are only getting 10 at that store now.

I will say that this one is not EBs fault. Even though I like to stand up for Sony, especially since so many people seem to be bashing them lately despite what they have done for console gaming, EB did their best to make sure another 360-like shortage didn't happen again.

My best friend manages an EB, and they held off on pre-orders a lot longer than they had originally planned, waiting until Sony had very solid numbers to give them, unfortunately those very solid numbers turned out to be false. I am not sure if it is the case in all stores, but I know in his he and all of his employees that had pre-orders cancelled them so that customers could have them instead, seems like the right thing to do to me, so at least EB (or some EBs) are trying to do the right thing here.

NulloModo said:
I will say that this one is not EBs fault. Even though I like to stand up for Sony, especially since so many people seem to be bashing them lately despite what they have done for console gaming, EB did their best to make sure another 360-like shortage didn't happen again.

My best friend manages an EB, and they held off on pre-orders a lot longer than they had originally planned, waiting until Sony had very solid numbers to give them, unfortunately those very solid numbers turned out to be false. I am not sure if it is the case in all stores, but I know in his he and all of his employees that had pre-orders cancelled them so that customers could have them instead, seems like the right thing to do to me, so at least EB (or some EBs) are trying to do the right thing here.

I agree with your post as i'm also getting sick of people bashing EB over this in other forums. EB did their math and worked their numbers very carefully based on what Sony originally allocated them for launch day sales. If Sony backs out on the original number of shipped consoles, there is nothing EB can do. If I lose my EB preorder, i'm going to be very pissed. However, there is nothing EB can really do about it and shouldn't be blamed, as they tried everything they could to avoid this situation. Notice how they only took 8 or 16 preorders per store, which is a very conservative number anyway.

Spectre said:
I can tell you this when you are a retailer and a vendor tells you you are going to get x amount and you sell x amount then vendor comes back a week before delivery or less and tells you you are going to get x-1 that isn't the retailers fault.

There's a pretty darned easy solution to this: Don't take so many preorders. Let's say a particular store is told they're going to get 12 PS3s on launch day a month in advance. Why not sell just 6 preorders (if you really feel the need) and let the other 6 go first come, first serve on the day of launch (or after if fewer than 6 people buy on launch day - yeah, right)?

I get that Sony is the root of the problem, but the idea that there isn't blame to go around for EB, Gamestop and whomever else takes preorders is just silly. What most stores do is they find out how many units of a product they're going to get, they don't try to sell them in advance, and instead simply sell what they actually have in stock. That system seems generally to work pretty well and at that point all the blame truly is on the manufacturer if there is unfulfilled demand. After all, the PS3 isn't some obscure item that may not sell through, so taking preorders for it is just a way to grab cash early and lock in [foolish] customers.

I agree with the post above me and since I hate pre-orders would take it to the extent that they shouldn't do pre-orders at all.

DON'T SELL A PRODUCT YOU DON'T HAVE!

Babbster said:
There's a pretty darned easy solution to this: Don't take so many preorders. Let's say a particular store is told they're going to get 12 PS3s on launch day a month in advance. Why not sell just 6 preorders (if you really feel the need) and let the other 6 go first come, first serve on the day of launch (or after if fewer than 6 people buy on launch day - yeah, right)?

There isn't an easy answer. For a store allocation is based on tie in percentage and sell through/demand. Stores with better tie in percentage get more units. Stores that sell through/exhibit demand get more units upfront...and on their following shipments as stores are stocked with varying product mixes.

So not preordering all the units you are allwoed to for a store is a kiss of death and pretty much going to guarentee you end up low on the allocation list for future shipments. Being low on the allocation table for a hot item during christmas is not a good way for a store to hit it's sales goals. Those units have zero profit in them for the store...but they drive feet in the doors. Those feet buy other things. So not preselling everything Sony tells you you are getting is not a good idea for that stores bottom line all christmas season.

VoodooChi|d said:
I agree with the post above me and since I hate pre-orders would take it to the extent that they shouldn't do pre-orders at all.

DON'T SELL A PRODUCT YOU DON'T HAVE!

Just to clarify - if anyone gets the call stating 'sorry, turns out the system you pre-ordered won't actually be in on launch day' all you have to do is go into the store and they will refund your entire pre-order amount. EB/GS doesn't lock you in to anything, you are free to get out at any point, so, best case scenario you snag one without camping out, worst case, you find out you were too late, you get your money back and wait in line like everyone else, or you take your chances and hope to get your pre-order honored on the second shipment.

Do they give back the money you lost and they collected in interest the few weeks they held your money?

Did I mention I hate pre-orders? :p

Back