GameStop 'confirms' PS5 specs, features

erek

[H]F Junkie
hopefully a credible source!

“While we knew that the PS5 would support up to 8K resolution and had an 8-core CPU, there were rumors floating around that it featured backward compatibility with all previous PlayStation generations. If GameStop is to be believed, it's just going to support PlayStation 4 games and you'll have to buy your PlayStation and PlayStation 2 rereleases, or play through PlayStation Now, the company's streaming service.”

https://www.windowscentral.com/gamestop-confirms-ps5-specs-features-rival-xbox-series-x?amp

Not hugely surprising so far. Basically it can play whatever a ps4 can play. Sure.

Microsoft put a lot of effort into 360 BC on Xbox One and that’s paid off for them in marketing points (and presumably sales too). But they had to basically write an emulator for it.

Sony didn’t put that effort in for ps3 games on ps4, so I wouldn’t have expected ps5 to launch with it either.

I do hope they’ll eventually get to it, though they didn’t make an effort when MS introduced 360 BC, they might have just decided convincing developers to port is better.

for me personally it’s more an interest in seeing games preserved in general than it is wanting any particular title. I think most of the ps3 games I wanted to play got ports to ps4 already.

Sony didn’t put that effort in for ps3 games on ps4, so I wouldn’t have expected ps5 to launch with it either.
It's a bit more complicated than "Sony didn't put in the effort".
The PS3's Cell CPU is far more complex than the tri-core Xenon CPU in the 360.

Even the PS4 Pro would not have the CPU computational processing capabilities to pull off emulating the PS3 (mainly the Cell's architecture); the PS5 (assuming Zen 2) would be more than sufficient to do so, though.
Bottom-line, the PS4/Slim/Pro did not have the CPU capabilities to emulate the PS3 properly, and even if an emulator was publicly released (as I'm sure Sony did attempt this, at least in-house), the games would run hideously slow and far below the 30/60fps standards that PS3 games are designed to be played at.

I would also like to point out that I am not defending Sony here, just showing that the AMD Jaguar lacked the capabilities necessary to perform such a steep task.

Just like how the PS4 was "confirmed" circa 2013! :p
https://www.stuff.tv/news/5-things-expect-sony-playstation-4

Sony_ps4_release_date_2.jpg

Speaking of GameStop...

Strip20200228a-1.x76493.png

Last edited:
Gamestop still around!? Heard they're about to do mass closures, and hoping they make it to the next console release.
Pretty obvious the PS5 and next XBox is going to due last gen with their announcement of their CPU, that's Shirley a given.

Backwards compatibility is a good thing means you milk your old games without waiting around for the next gen titles.

But wouldn't you still have the consoles that played said older games? I mean sure upscaling can be thing, but is it really worth that much?
The issue with playstation at least from what I have seen is that most people are nursing backwards compatible PS3 "phat" models at this point for this.

My PS2 is long since gone, which was a hand me down same as my PS3 and PS4. I actually ran it sans outer case because of it's heat issues and the disc drive finally gave up.

It's not the end of the world but we're getting close to 14 years old at this point for the ps3. I've done about as much work on mine as I'm willing to put in and even changing the batteries in the controllers are a pain. I'm really not sure how I'm going to continue playing these old titles the way the classic game market is going.

Plus phat ps3s are becoming kinda rare and aren't as cheap as they used to be.

It's not a huge issue though for the general public, so I'll continue to suffer and complain here about it.

I'd have loved the PS5 to be backwards compatible-- I already gave away my PS4 knowing the PS5 would be able to handle at least that. Happy I waited on the PS3.

Do people still play 8+ year old games? I understand it's a nice marketing bullet but are people really making purchasing decisions in 2020 to play GTA IV?

I'm legitimately curious here. Does anyone this thread still actively play a game from pre 2013 that would even care about this?

Do people still play 8+ year old games? I understand it's a nice marketing bullet but are people really making purchasing decisions in 2020 to play GTA IV?

I'm legitimately curious here. Does anyone this thread still actively play a game from pre 2013 that would even care about this?

The last Playstation I had was a 2, so I wouldn't mind playing PS4 games upscaled if I were to get a PS5.

Well, it’s not 8 years old but you do realize that GTA V was a 2013 game right? And yeah people definitely still play it.

Currently I’m working my way through Kotor 2 because it’s been years since playing, a buddy and I are also playing through Halo ODST.

Oh and last week I literally just finished Batman Arkham Asylum for the first time. I started it years back but didn’t play far and never came back to the game until a decade later. Soon I’ll get around to Arkham City.

And yeah, I’m playing those on my Xbox for the ease of sitting my ass on the couch.

hopefully a credible source!

“While we knew that the PS5 would support up to 8K resolution and had an 8-core CPU, there were rumors floating around that it featured backward compatibility with all previous PlayStation generations. If GameStop is to be believed, it's just going to support PlayStation 4 games and you'll have to buy your PlayStation and PlayStation 2 rereleases, or play through PlayStation Now, the company's streaming service.”

https://www.windowscentral.com/gamestop-confirms-ps5-specs-features-rival-xbox-series-x?amp
I expect going forward they should be able to maintain backwards compatibility as they pretty much got rid of all the custom hardware and it's just an x86 computer at this point with a custom OS.
The issue with playstation at least from what I have seen is that most people are nursing backwards compatible PS3 "phat" models at this point for this.

My PS2 is long since gone, which was a hand me down same as my PS3 and PS4. I actually ran it sans outer case because of it's heat issues and the disc drive finally gave up.

It's not the end of the world but we're getting close to 14 years old at this point for the ps3. I've done about as much work on mine as I'm willing to put in and even changing the batteries in the controllers are a pain. I'm really not sure how I'm going to continue playing these old titles the way the classic game market is going.

Plus phat ps3s are becoming kinda rare and aren't as cheap as they used to be.

It's not a huge issue though for the general public, so I'll continue to suffer and complain here about it.

I'd have loved the PS5 to be backwards compatible-- I already gave away my PS4 knowing the PS5 would be able to handle at least that. Happy I waited on the PS3.
Emulator works for ps1-2 and I think the PS3 one can play a lot of games now

I expect going forward they should be able to maintain backwards compatibility as they pretty much got rid of all the custom hardware and it's just an x86 computer at this point with a custom OS.
It is still custom hardware with a custom (non-IBM compatible) platform.
In fact, I would go so far as to say it is more custom/proprietary than the PS3 itself was; the use of an x86-64 CPU is almost totally irrelevant compared to the rest of the system.

Nearly all of the games I'm currently playing are from 2015 or earlier. Only recent title is Division 2.

There’s too many games coming out too quickly today to be able to keep up with all of them. BC on consoles gives you the same ability to play through your backlog the way steam or gog on windows does.

it may seem like everyone only plays recent stuff in a community like [H] but look at your steam backlog and see how many of those games are 5+ years old. Then consider some people have even less time to play games.

I used to game a lot but skipped some titles for others. Now in the spare time I have I’ve just started playing dragon age origins for the first time. Just one example but I don’t think I’m alone in that kind of backlog.

There’s too many games coming out too quickly today to be able to keep up with all of them. BC on consoles gives you the same ability to play through your backlog the way steam or gog on windows does.

it may seem like everyone only plays recent stuff in a community like [H] but look at your steam backlog and see how many of those games are 5+ years old. Then consider some people have even less time to play games.

I used to game a lot but skipped some titles for others. Now in the spare time I have I’ve just started playing dragon age origins for the first time. Just one example but I don’t think I’m alone in that kind of backlog.

Yeah trying to keep up with all the games is a chore unless your a Youtube streamer. I was on a spree buying alot of games a few years ago I think 2018 I picked up alot of games then over this past year I've been grazing over alot of stuff that doesn't deserve the light of day. People pick up games because it looks exciting but it's not exciting if you don't have the time nor energy to play it.

Last edited:
Back