Gamespot PSP return policy is no return !

MelonSplitter

[H]ard|Gawd
I just bought the Ratchet & Clank limited edition PSP, brand new, 7 days ago. It is starting to have weird graphics problems along with a couple of dead pixels. I took it back to Gamestop to get my money back but they said that they could not accept it back because it was opened! I told them I just bought the friggin thing 7 days ago and that I want my money back. "Sorry there is no returns for opened merchandise, you have to send it to Sony" is what I'm told. Does this sound right, am I screwed or what? The bad thing about it is right next door is a Wal-Mart that would have taken it back in a second. What are my options? Sinister or not.

Hmm... they wouldnt even do an exchange? Thats shitty... Your best bet is to go threw sony if they wont do anything for you. You can always do a chargeback with your credit card company .. well thats if you bought with a credit card.. Explain your self to the credit card company and say that Gamestop sold you a broken machine.. they wont take it back, and they wont exchange it for you.

If you bought a used one.. you may be SOL...

If you bought a used one.. you may be SOL...

Actually, if he bought it used, they WOULD take it back.
Gamestop has the worst return policy in the world on new items, but you can return anything you bought used.

Makes. No. Sense.

I recommend to everyone to avoid that gestapo shop, like the plague.

I recommend to everyone to avoid that gestapo shop, like the plague.

I only use them to get the games they offer at midnight that im excited about.. GOW2, RE5..ect They rest i just buy at BB... gotta love that Silver Member ship. 1.25 points for every 1 buck spent!

I would by used games from them and games like I said that come out at midnight,,, but anything else and ESP hardware, I buy from BB or Walmart or Target.

you just need to bitch and complain.

I bought an Xbox (not 360) back in 2003 or 4 and used it for 3 days and returned it because I didn't like it. There were no games I really wanted to play and it did the same damn thing as the PS2.

They told me I couldn't return it but I just complained a whole bunch and they were like fine.

Thats why I never buy things from stores I know I can't return them. I try very hard to buy thing at places like sam's club because their return policy is retarted to say the least. They take shit back that they never even sold.

If anything, you should have made yourself aware of the return policy before exchanging currency. Granted, this doesn't help you now, but if you would have known their return policy beforehand, I doubt you would have even bought your psp there.

Just one of those things, you gotta know your escape routes.

The OP never mentioned that he tried an exchange. Right off the bat he said he wanted his money back.

Try to return it to Wal-mart without a receipt, tell them you lost the receipt. They may give you your money back knowing that type of merchandise stays under lock and key or give you a gift card for the amount.

I'd try it, it's not like you have anything to lose.

99.9% of stores will NOT refund money on opened-software.
They will let you exchange it for the same exact item, but not get money back.

same thing with DVD's. You can exchange it for the same item, but not get a refund if it's open.

otherwise it would be so much easier to pirate movies, games, apps, etc.

Try to return it to Wal-mart without a receipt, tell them you lost the receipt. They may give you your money back knowing that type of merchandise stays under lock and key or give you a gift card for the amount.

I'd try it, it's not like you have anything to lose.

Except the fact you'd be essentially scamming and stealing from Walmart.

I just bought the Ratchet & Clank limited edition PSP, brand new, 7 days ago. It is starting to have weird graphics problems along with a couple of dead pixels. I took it back to Gamestop to get my money back but they said that they could not accept it back because it was opened! I told them I just bought the friggin thing 7 days ago and that I want my money back. "Sorry there is no returns for opened merchandise, you have to send it to Sony" is what I'm told. Does this sound right, am I screwed or what? The bad thing about it is right next door is a Wal-Mart that would have taken it back in a second. What are my options? Sinister or not.

Often times the best thing to do, is to see if they have some sort of corporate complaint line, I know when I worked in retail, if a customer went to corporate, we often had to bend over backwards, compared to what our rules said

They probably just wouldn't take it back b/c it has software included in the package, right? That makes sense, and is similar to every other return policy I've ever heard. Though, I feel like they should exchange it for you though. That's some bullsh** to have to send it to Sony after seven days. Go complain at the store. They'll work it out for you if you won't leave 'em alone.

99.9% of stores will NOT refund money on opened-software.
They will let you exchange it for the same exact item, but not get money back.

same thing with DVD's. You can exchange it for the same item, but not get a refund if it's open.

otherwise it would be so much easier to pirate movies, games, apps, etc.

It's not considered software;)

Technically yes it is a crime, but no one is affected physically or financially.

The OP said ideas, sinister or not.

It's still fraud -- I wouldn't wanna be the guy getting caught doing this...

How could you get caught. You say you lost the reciept. They normally will do an exchange only in that case. If they suspected anything all they would do is deny you. They couldn't call the cops how could they prove it? They can't unless someone from the same gamestop walked by and busted you. I've done it before and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Plus a can almost gauranty the jerk working customer service at wal-maret could give a crap at $7.00 an hour.

It's not considered software;)

every single return policy I've seen, specifically states that software, movies, music, software, and games may NOT be refunded if the package has been opened; but it may be EXCHANGE for the SAME TITLE.

a game can be considered software. You just don't install it, but it is still software. It's not hardware, right? It's not an audio cd. It's not a movie dvd. It's a game, which is software, just like an application.

software is code that is run on hardware.

I don't know what else it would be considered, on a more broad range than just "game"

edit: oh, and FYI... Wal-Mart's return policy also specifically states this. Opened software, movies, music, games, etc may only be exchanged for the same title. Good luck returning it.

I think you missed this part. Its a PSP that comes with a prepackaged game, and the HARDWARE is having issues.

Gestapo Stop's return policies has been the same for ages, and if you've shopped there more than once, I'm pretty sure you've heard their blurb as they're ringing up your items. It's pretty much your fault for not paying attention. Yes, it sucks and, yes, you shouldn't have bought it there.

Next time, buy it at Costco or Sam's Club, they have a ridiculously good return and exchange policy.

If you want to talk about what's right and what you're entitled to, you should first understand what it is you're getting into. Ie. be an informed consumer, not just some asshole who complains his way into getting what he wants.

The deal is you cannot return anything that's been opened, period. Once it's opened, it's considered used and all you can do is trade it back for $0.00001 or RMA it to the manufacturer. Whether or not this is fair for every single item is up for debate, but they're certainly not going to change policy between items. If you can't even remember a single rule for all items, you're certainly not going to pay attention to a multitude of rules for a plethora of items. Otherwise, you can return it, unopened and WITH RECEIPT(unless the manager is being especially nice, they will not take it back without recipe; no, they do not have every transaction you've ever made stored on their computer just because you may have a Gamer's Edge card) for up to 30 days after purchase. This 30 day rule is rather lenient during holiday time (eg. you buy an item intended as a gift in Nov; they'll still take it back unopened and with recipt/gift receipt in January).

If you buy it used, you have 7 days for a full refund for any reason (whether you just don't like it or it's actually broken or whatever), whether it's opened or not. For exchanges you have 30 days after purchase, however this rule is very lenient a lot of the time, especially during holiday season.

You can have your item insured by Gamestop for a fee (I believe it's 10% of the hardware value, or $1 for software), meaning if you buy a PSP, insure it, and it's defective, you could bring it into Gamestop and exchange it with no problem for a year. You can actually exchange it even if it's not defective. If you got it insured, they won't care what your reason is. They'll just put a defective item sticker on it and send it off to the manufacturer.

However, with their insurance, it only works for one exchange. You can then opt to get ANOTHER insurance policy for a year at the time of exchange. It's pretty ridiculous, obviously very few people actually buy into it. You cannot do this for Xbox 360s. MS no longer allows them to do it; MS wants it all handled by themselves. If you got an insurance policy on a 360 prior to this change, they will honor it until it expires, however I don't believe that anyone would still have this insurance left. I'm pretty sure the last time they offered 360 insurance was Summer 2007.

every single return policy I've seen, specifically states that software, movies, music, software, and games may NOT be refunded if the package has been opened; but it may be EXCHANGE for the SAME TITLE.

a game can be considered software. You just don't install it, but it is still software. It's not hardware, right? It's not an audio cd. It's not a movie dvd. It's a game, which is software, just like an application.

software is code that is run on hardware.

I don't know what else it would be considered, on a more broad range than just "game"

edit: oh, and FYI... Wal-Mart's return policy also specifically states this. Opened software, movies, music, games, etc may only be exchanged for the same title. Good luck returning it.

Damn dude reading is your Friend, as stated by a poster above it's a PSP with ratchet packed in.

Trust me I actually went to go to Michigan and purchased the same pack while I was up there for the 13 hour drive home, with the intention to return it when I got back home. Which I did.

Back