Games with realistic handguns/pistols?

Aelfgeft

2[H]4U
Yes, I know in most games your enemies end up having armor and automatic weapons. However, often I watch movies like Collateral with a lot of sidearm play, and I wish there was an FPS that made pistols a predominant weapon. Goldeneye kind of captured that back in the day, at least on the basic enemies. F.E.A.R. also wasn't all that bad. I know that headshots are key, but I'm curious if there are any decent FPSs where a couple of shots from a .45 or 9mm weapon takes down someone.

I agree, i love games with pistols. I generally only use pistols in CS:S, more challenging and fun. I wish i could find a 'pitol only' server.

I love the pistols in CSS too, but even emptying a USP .45 at a person at 5 feet away, center mass, often doesn't kill the person.

I guess that's the challenge, i want a mod for HL2 that allows me to use weapons from counter strike source, especially the pistols.

Masume said:
Rainbow 6 series perhaps?

Everything drops in a shot or two

Loved Lockdown...the first time installed. There was no second time because the installer is crap.

Fay cry was good too, but I don't want one pistol. I want a range of pistols like CS:S has, but they are the predominant weapon. No fully automatic crap. I want a game where each shot counts.

Sin and Sin:Emergence had a pistol as the primary weapon. But the game sucked and the pistol wasn't a 'real' pistol.

CSS pistols are evenly matched with any weapon...which makes them realistic and fun. You try to headshot someone in BF2 with a pistol and it probably won't kill them at full health. Do the same in CSS and they die no matter what.

Nighthawk ftw. :D

There is a game out there that does for weapons what Gran Turismo does with cars. I forget the name but a friend brought it up.

There was some mod for wolfenstein that was supposed to be really realistic.. can't remember the name though.. im looking it up now

*found*
Its a mod for ET. its called true combat: elite.. i havnt played it but its supposed to be pretty realistic

^^^True Combat Elite? Very fun game, and both the mod and Enemy territory are free so you can't go wrong.

lol yea.. maybe i shoulda refreshed before hitting edit. idk what the pistol play is like though

and there are good pistol only servers for cs:s.. probably the most fun ive had in a css server too.

IDK how easy it is to mod steam.. but if i had the time I would def make a good css mod, leaving only handguns, and slightly changing each, adding more, etc. etc.

Gunned down a guy in BF2 with the MEC pistol, took a few shots.

--He was running the otherway mind you :p

The rainbow 6 series does actually have decent hand guns.

CSS is pretty good too. Most of the time I just play with a USP or deagle and pick up weapons as I go.

The handguns in True Combat Elite are great. It was 1 v 2 and I won 3 times in row using only the glock. Takes like 2-3 bullets to the body to kill them.

Greenwit said:
It's an oldie but SoF 2 has outstanding weapons feel.

Agreed!

Also, If you don't mind a more classic/western era feel, Call of Juarez might be for you. A decent variety of classic pistols in this game!

Time Crisis 1/2/3

Might as well play with a light pistol. I actually mounted a laser sight on mine :p

Here's the ones I use when I want that "realistic" feeling. :p

DSC00365.jpg

Hahaha. Unless I'm mistaken the one on the upper right is a Glock. I also happen to have one of those. :p

raven shield is good with pistols. You can take guys down in one or two shots.

raven shield is the best for pistol combat.

next up would probably be max payne with the matrix mod thingy

The handguns in Hitman BM were pretty awesome, you could pretty much use them and them alone for the entire game.

But yeah, CS:S is probably the best when it comes to handgun usage, and especially reload animations.

squishy said:
Here's the ones I use when I want that "realistic" feeling. :p

DSC00365.jpg

I like that beretta, what model?

I'm a 1911 fan myself, but a lil variety in firepower is always great :D

The Call of Duty series isn't too bad with pistols. The pistol will kill 3 shots to torso, or one to head. But, no variation in pistol(ok.. add a bullet or subract one from the clip for variation). I liked CoD's pistols since if you are good, you can easily kill someone with an MG. I hated CSS pistols since unless you get a headshot, you might as well be throwing it at him. Armor = ruins any "realistic" game.

AdamNesvick said:
I like that beretta, what model?

I'm a 1911 fan myself, but a lil variety in firepower is always great :D

Still need to aquire a 1911 or 2 myself. :)

Left to right

Beretta 87 Target (.22)
Springfield XD9 (9mm)
Glock 34 (9mm)

squishy said:
Still need to aquire a 1911 or 2 myself. :)

Left to right

Beretta 87 Target (.22)
Springfield XD9 (9mm)
Glock 34 (9mm)

Big ups to the fellow XD9 shooter. Here's mine:

O god i want a XD.. soooo hot...must resist...

wats that taclight?

the pistol round was always my favorite in cs...never was able to find a pistols server though

k1ng said:
O god i want a XD.. soooo hot...must resist...

wats that taclight?

The light's a Surefire P112C. I found it by chance on ebay, bought it, and recently sold it to a good friend for his wife's XD. After I got the light, I realized that a holster fo fit both gun & light would cost more than the light did!

I'll have to try some of these "other" FPS games... been playing the BF series for too long (except 2142).

I too am a pistol afficianado. I've found that in BF2:SF, it takes less shots from a pistol than a SAW to down an opponent. Odd.

Off topic: I recently sold all of my NON .45 handguns. I've found that reloading for more than one caliber was beginning to be a major PITA. Sold off my Glocks (17, 19, 22, 23), sold all my Rugers (Mark II Bull barrel, Super RedHawk, Security Six), and my HK P7. Only handguns I have left.... Para Ordinance P14, a Kimber Custom Combat II, and a L.A.R. Grizzly (.45 Win magnum, not .45ACP... but I use the same bullet weights)

Drexion said:
The handguns in Hitman BM were pretty awesome, you could pretty much use them and them alone for the entire game.

But yeah, CS:S is probably the best when it comes to handgun usage, and especially reload animations.

The pistols in Blood Money had an awesome feel to them. Unfortunately, its single player only, but that would be on top of my favorite pistols list. I played the whole game with variations of the Silverballers.

Riddlinkidstoner said:
CSS pistols are evenly matched with any weapon...which makes them realistic and fun. You try to headshot someone in BF2 with a pistol and it probably won't kill them at full health. Do the same in CSS and they die no matter what.

Nighthawk ftw. :D

You've gotta fuckin' kidding me... right? Every pistol in CSS that isn't a DE takes about 8 hits or more to kill on a target with full kevlar. The glock does like 20 damage to the head with a helmet at any range. Hell the DE frequently doesn't kill with one helmet shot on a target that is moderately far away, it will do like 95. The glock _CANNOT_ kill in one hit on a target with full health, period. The USP to a bare head at any range doesn't kill, same with the dualies and the P228. I won't even mention the 5.7, as it was a gross oversight on Valve's part to allow an airsoft gun to remain in CS.

There is a gun game mod for CSS where everyone starts out with the same pistol and you work your way up to "better" guns with each kill. Eventually you start getting the shotty, smgs then rifles, but just thought I'd mention it. It's pretty fun for a change.

Look for maps with gg_ in the name.

Red Orchestra Ostfront, pretty much any gun is fairly capable of dropping someone in just 1-2 hits or so, pistols espically.

It's a realistic wwII multiplayer game available on steam. It runs on the UE 2.5 engine so graphics wise it won't look as good as a new game, but they did win the Unreal 3 liscense to use the engine so hopefully they'll be making good use of it :).

Back