games with 16gb system requirements...fact? or fiction?

Yeah, adoption is poor because the consumer companies are dragging their feet on moving to 10GbE.

For good reason. Now that there's a 2.5G version, which works over cat5 and takes less power, it makes more sense.

For good reason. Now that there's a 2.5G version, which works over cat5 and takes less power, it makes more sense.

2.5Gbit and 5Gbit standards hardly make sense to me with regard to NICs or switches. The only reason I can see for it is due to so many homes being pre-wired with CAT5e. I've seen homes going back to the early 2000's which were wired with CAT5e cable. This is literally the only reason I can see to create an consumer standard that fits in between 1GbE and 10GbE. Again, 10GbE costs about the same to implement on the controller and switch side of things.

10g over cat6a never made any sense, it was just a foolish consistency ("we've always done 10x changes"). 2.5g is an attempt to save the standard from oblivion.

Either way, I often shuffle lots of data across my machines and I wished they all had 10Gbit, 40Gbit, whatever..just FASTER than 1Gbit.

All my PC's and my MBPr have SSD's somewhere in the 500MB/sec region....I could safe lots of time when I copy VMware machines, Backups etc.. from A to B.

Agreed, for the average Joe at home this is not needed but with 4k/8k knocking on everybodies door and such...more volume needs a bigger pipe...sooner or later.

Either way, I often shuffle lots of data across my machines and I wished they all had 10Gbit, 40Gbit, whatever..just FASTER than 1Gbit.

All my PC's and my MBPr have SSD's somewhere in the 500MB/sec region....I could safe lots of time when I copy VMware machines, Backups etc.. from A to B.

Agreed, for the average Joe at home this is not needed but with 4k/8k knocking on everybodies door and such...more volume needs a bigger pipe...sooner or later.

This is my point. There are very few people that can take advantage of the technology. I don't do that much with VM's at home anymore since I work with them quite a bit in my professional life. I could take advantage of it on the test bench of course, but that's not a viable option because motherboard manufacturers aren't doing anything with 10GbE on consumer motherboards.

and what does any of this have to do with 16gb ram game reqs? go pm or start a new thread and maybe go watch linus' vid that he just did about this...

We got off on a tangent about pushing technology forward and debating situations where technology is artificially held back. It was an example based on the memory discussion that simply got out of hand.

lol did it ever!. LTT did have a good vid on a p2p 40Gb, holy shit its fast! but back on topic.

16GB ram should b the new standard min in any system. even if its not totally used now it will be soon.

My girlfriend's machine started to show some issues with newer games using only 8GB of RAM. I put 16GB in it and things improved dramatically.

I guess the game developers just want people to have the RAM "leeway". Also, consider that some people have other programs opened while playing the game, which will eat up precious memory resources. I find that 16GB is the new "sweet spot" considering that a lot of programs are vying for more RAM nowadays (I am looking at you Google Chrome).

Actually, 16GB is very big. 8 is "normal" actually and 4gb is really low. Developers wants to touch the biggest community as possible. So actually, I don't think it's useful in 95% of the games.

I guess the game developers just want people to have the RAM "leeway". Also, consider that some people have other programs opened while playing the game, which will eat up precious memory resources. I find that 16GB is the new "sweet spot" considering that a lot of programs are vying for more RAM nowadays (I am looking at you Google Chrome).

When people have pre-installed bloatware from their OEM system builders and Norton garbageware running on it, 16GB isn't all that much RAM.

I've been up to about 11-15 GB with a demanding game and a few other things running in the background, so obviously 8 GB is a no go for that scenario. 32 GB is nice because it affords me the flexibility to have a bunch of crap stored in memory while I carelessly minimize games to do some production work and then get back into the game without the risk of running out of memory.

Back