Games today is not what they have been.

Psycrow

Gawd
So i sit here and have 2 games installed on my gamer mashine.

I play warframe a bit and usualy when there is a good league then i play Poe.

I dont know what to play anymore..it seems like games has taken a U turn and it feels like you cant just play your favorite hero or style anymore.
Since many games have been updated to fit some kind of meta you need to follow or you just end up die or get no progress at all.
That is is how i feel games are now and eventualy i lost the interrest in games.

I wanted to get a new pc with a 3xxx card but why should i when the games feels dead to me.

Mann i feel depresed about games..i tryed to look on steam and i only see "games" that dosent even looks like games.
And yet there are streamers and youtubers sitting there and playing something that looks stupid and takes no brain or effort to play...
I cant tell if they are faking the fun they pretend to have..

But help me here..what should i play ?

I mainly like Mmorpg games..something wher ei can level up and farm and get ritch and stronger ect.
( dont mention wow)

Can anyone cure me for my gamer depression here and load me uo with a good game ?

I can't help you, i think games are fantastic but I just love "gamer mashine" and i wanted you to know. Feel better.

I dont know what to play anymore..it seems like games has taken a U turn and it feels like you cant just play your favorite hero or style anymore.
Since many games have been updated to fit some kind of meta you need to follow or you just end up die or get no progress at all.
That is is how i feel games are now and eventualy i lost the interrest in games.

I wanted to get a new pc with a 3xxx card but why should i when the games feels dead to me.

Mann i feel depresed about games..i tryed to look on steam and i only see "games" that dosent even looks like games.
And yet there are streamers and youtubers sitting there and playing something that looks stupid and takes no brain or effort to play...

I mainly like Mmorpg games..something wher ei can level up and farm and get ritch and stronger ect.
( dont mention wow)

Can anyone cure me for my gamer depression here and load me uo with a good game ?

Well a couple of things, one your an mmorpg player so yes meta and the current dominance of cowtoeing to big streamers and 'balance' is frankly your bread and butter.

Indie games and smaller titles escew the comp/twitch/balance meta of modern gaming.

If mmos are what your gaming, then you don't need to spend the cash on new gpus unless its Destiny 2 or TD2.

I can't load you up with a good mmorpg as they all suck imho, and always have. There are lots of other genres to be excited about though.

I refuse to watch any streamers..I want to play games..not watch em being played..im not from 2000

ok, but they are entirely relavent, particularly to anything MMO related. High profile streamers can literally influence balance patching and game meta, which is part of your complaint.

I do not participate in the steamer economy.

I can suggest games outside of mmo's if interested, i tend to schew my favorites towards more indie titles, but play just about everything.

Favorites of last year: Deep Rock Galactic, Remenant from the ashes, Control.

MMO's and the like aren't exactly hot right now. That's probably what ails you. As a huge fighting game fan, I've been there. The genre all but died for 7-8 years. But it eventually rebounded. For your sake, hopefully that happens with the MMO's that you like.
If you're willing to deviate a little, there are a lots of good games out there right now. Some are new (Horizon, RDR2, Outer Worlds, Control, Mortal Shell, maybe Death Stranding), while others are only new'ish (Borderlands 3, Remnant, RE2/RE3, Sekiro, AC: Odyssey). With the new consoles hitting very soon, there will be an influx of new games coming along with them. Cyberpunk, RE8/Village, Godfall, AC: Valhalla, etc. You can also explore MS's GamePass. $10 per month for unlimited access to a ton of games both new and old. They have a free trial so you can see if anything strikes your fancy.

I tryed ff14 and was super bored..also i dont see the hype in this game..
And yes ur right mmoprg is dead and streamers are ruining it for me.

I just dont like streamers at all one bit

Genshin Impact ?

It looks and plays like Zelda Breath of the Wild, but there are many differences, especially the combat. It's free, so might as well give it a try if the style appeals to you.

Genshin Impact ?

It looks and plays like Zelda Breath of the Wild, but there are many differences, especially the combat. It's free, so might as well give it a try if the style appeals to you.

In love with this game right now, cannot get enough.

This is how I felt for a while too.

Which is why I have shifted into building Retro Consoles & Single Board Computers, I can put games on them that I am fond or find RPG's that I missed to play, and its fun to try to build a system that is more powerful than the previous. I just completed building my own version of a Playstation Classic using its original case and power supply (Well half of it's Power supply atleast :)). If you think you'd be into that sort of thing, research a Raspberry Pi or Single Board Computers if you haven't already.

On the MMO side of things, Elderscrolls Online was relatively fun, but like all MMO's it does get boring after you've done everything & is filled to the brim with fetch quests but it had good voiceacting, pretty much like playing a multiplayer Skyrim. The people who play it in my experience never really talk much or they want to do dungeons as fast as possible which can be annoying if you're trying to listen to an NPC to get storyline.

Getting older doesn't have to be depressing, not if you're willing to learn new things & experiment with new hobbies.

Last edited:
I get like this every now and then. I mainly play shooters and it’s the same thing year after year. On a whim I got dead by daylight for me and a friend to try. I’ve dumped hundreds of hours on it in the last couple months and it’s all I really play now.

Get out of your comfort zone and try something new, you might find the diamond in the rough that you completely blew off.

Ur all prolly right, but im a stickler and hard to convince..and yes skyrim is not bad but will get boring in the end unless you wanna do pvp and dayli dungeons. They made this ridicules hard solo dungeon where get yellow gear for random end treasure.
I see Baldurs gate 3 is out now for beta but i will wait until it is finished.

Its just when i look on steam then i only see shitty games or ment for kidz games..games that are not even games..then i look on different cdkey sites that just wants to sell me what is "hot " in ther eyes.

best games in the last five years? Breath new life and enjoyment into gaming? (BTW Path of Exile would be on this list, but you already know it)

Try:
Witcher 3
Wolfenstein New Order
Darkest Dungeon
Slay the Spire
Hunt Showdown
FTL: Faster than Light (yes older than 5 years but fantastic)

You might be experiencing some burnout. Try taking a small break and coming back. Maybe take on a new hobby on the side and come back with a fresh perspective and dive in. Maybe you can learn programming? Woodworking?

If MMORPGs are your thing you should at least give Elderscrolls Online a chance. It's F2P so there's nothing to lose.

If you want a single player RPG experience I would recommend Witcher 3 and Fallout 4.

Like others have said, Play the Witcher games, if you like RPG's they are excellent.

In Cyberpunk we trust.

Baldur's Gate 3 is shaping up well. Wasteland 2 is excellent. There is the Divinity Series.
Try another trip through Mass Effect (or better yet wait for the remaster). All the Dark/Demon Souls games.
DX:HR, DX:MD for something different.

But I like you generally don't play games nearly as much as I used to. And frankly I'm not an otaku. I only want to play games that are (what I consider to be) 95%+ games. Frankly games that I personally consider worth playing come out once every 2 years. And often times once every 3 years. That isn't most gamer mentalities and that also isn't most people on the Hardforums mentality.

Games to me are like movies (or frankly like any artform - you can make a comparison with any of them). After you gain some level of taste and understand the art form you realize most movies are trash. And similarly most games are trash. There are still incredible films being made to this day, but most of what gets put in theaters (or used to before Covid 19) weren't really worth watching. They'd follow the patterns of the year. You'd get your slasher flicks and rom coms at their appointed times in the calendar - and in the summer you'll get your blockbusters. And then a few auteurs actually make something that's original, interesting, and insightful.

Games are much the same. EA will crank out a new COD and Assassins Creed every year. People that like "blockbusters" will continue to buy them. But if you have discerning taste and you're looking for something else that's more interesting than a twitch shooter - you have to expect to wait a while (although arguably id has taken the action shooter to the point of being an art form). Good games still come out. It just requires wading through a lot of mediocre to get there.

I realize my post is edgelord and "controversial". But after gaming for over 30 years I've seen and played enough to come to the conclusions I have. Not that I expect everyone else to arrive where I have. It's clear like in my art example regarding movies, most people never do. Most people when they watch a movie aren't interested in learning something or feeling something - they just want to be entertained. Was the film "cool"? And frankly that's why we have trends in games and films the way we do.

In conclusion: don't feel like you have to play everything or be satisfied with what's available. Don't feel like just 'any' game should entertain you. Play what you want to play. And ignore the tastes and preferences of others. Including me. Because even though I consider every game I listed here to be excellent - if you don't enjoy those styles of games it won't really help you.

I sometimes can't figure out what I want to play either. Have too many games I want to play but can't decide what to play so I end up playing nothing... I'm trying a new method to break that.
I've created a list of games to play in the short term. I have a long playthrough game, something that takes dozens of hours to play. I short playthrough game, usually less than 20 hours to finish. I have a few genre specific picks, so I have an RTS I'll play, a sandbox game, a Sim, etc. I than rotate through them over the days and weeks. These are just single player, I have another list for multiplayer / co-op games with friends. It might seem excessive or too much work but I have been using this to help get through my massive backlog by providing a narrow list of games to play instead of looking at a list of hundreds to play from. It only took a few minutes to make and has helped me focus on what to play.

With that said, I think PC gaming has been doing great with the games, yes some publishers are doing their best to destroy it, but indie games have really helped creating new games.

Taking things from a different perspective, have you tried to broaden your borders a little bit? Perhaps maybe a different hobby altogether? I am not saying to give up gaming. But maybe taking a step back from the keyboard would make it more appetizing when you come back?

Another thing I have tried is playing games that are completely out of my typical genre. I have found games I never thought I would enjoy and it is nice to come back to the oldie but goldies after I have had a break :)

It's true - both the games and the entire entertainment industry (movies, music) in my opinion is over (exceptions will happen).
You don't invent new movies anymore, you just make remakes. The games are overloaded with RNG, but less and less PvP (because someone else might feel sorry). I was born in 1991 and have seen most of the greatest games. However, I was only the recipient. These works of art were created by older than my generation (great respect for them)
Path of Exile changes every league, maybe the next one will be more interesting. VR technology is tiring for the brain and eyes. I think I'll take your advice and take a look at The Elder Scrolls Online, I really liked playing The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
The Elder Scrolls Online gold is one of
Yoto is a cism what I'm interested in, I like to collect and exchange them, I usually buy various items. However, my adventure with Elder Scrolls started with Morrowind, despite numerous mods, it was still not an MMO game. MMO games are what I like the most, that's why ESO is my favorite game in which I spend the most time. Besides Elder Scrolls Online is my hobby, I also like to trade, sell and buy ESO gold - I do it through Odealo.

Last edited:
Dark Souls 3, Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 1. Great game worlds. Challenging, methodical gameplay. innovative PVP elements, which are integrated into the lore and gameworlds.

Wasteland 3

Divinity 1 and 2

Hades

Breath of The Wild

Super Hot

Return of The Obra Dinn

The Swapper

Outer Wilds (not to be confused with The Outer Worlds, which is REALLY average).

Yakuza games

Obduction

Fighting games are pretty hot right now. You can't go wrong with basically any modern fighting game. And the fighting game community is a great example of how to use Twitch to bring the community together and drive hype and interest for the games. And in turn, the developers are supporting fighting games better than ever. Also, the FGC is literally all about PVP. Personally, I'm a fan of Soulcalibur 6. But there are a lot to choose from.

If you want something which plays kind of like an MMO, but has good characters and a solid story: try the Final Fantasy 12 remaster.

There's been a bunch of startegy RPGs over the past few years. Valkyria Chronicles, Xcom 2, Phoenix Point, Gears Tactics, Troubleshooter.

Numerous indie games. Hyperlight Drifter (kind of like Zelda), Momodara 4 (kind of like castelvania), Ori and the Blind Forest / Ori and The Will of The Wisps

Its not quite done yet but Praey For The Gods is shaping up to be a pretty cool twist on Shadow of The Colossus. Most content is available now, in early access. I think there are two more bosses and some story elements still being worked on.

Dark Souls 3, Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 1. Great game worlds. Challenging, methodical gameplay. innovative PVP elements, which are integrated into the lore and gameworlds.

Wasteland 3

Divinity 1 and 2

Hades

Breath of The Wild

Super Hot

Return of The Obra Dinn

The Swapper

Outer Wilds (not to be confused with The Outer Worlds, which is REALLY average).

Yakuza games

Obduction

Fighting games are pretty hot right now. You can't go wrong with basically any modern fighting game. And the fighting game community is a great example of how to use Twitch to bring the community together and drive hype and interest for the games. And in turn, the developers are supporting fighting games better than ever. Also, the FGC is literally all about PVP. Personally, I'm a fan of Soulcalibur 6. But there are a lot to choose from.

If you want something which plays kind of like an MMO, but has good characters and a solid story: try the Final Fantasy 12 remaster.

There's been a bunch of startegy RPGs over the past few years. Valkyria Chronicles, Xcom 2, Phoenix Point, Gears Tactics, Troubleshooter.

Numerous indie games. Hyperlight Drifter (kind of like Zelda), Momodara 4 (kind of like castelvania), Ori and the Blind Forest / Ori and The Will of The Wisps

Its not quite done yet but Praey For The Gods is shaping up to be a pretty cool twist on Shadow of The Colossus. Most content is available now, in early access. I think there are two more bosses and some story elements still being worked on.
I really wouldn't put BotW in there.

I don't want to take a negative stance, but as I continue to evaluate my involvement in gaming (middle aged now and been gaming since I was 6), I am understanding that the industry appears to be focused on how to be more addictive. I am concerned this mindset is pulling the focus away from putting great material out. I know that sounds like a contradiction as one might say, "Well, if it is a great game, it will likely be addictive". I don't buy that fully. As gaming companies look more into the psychology of peoples choices and experiments on how to make rats push levers for hours on end, it makes me a bit worried.

Again, not trying to put a downer here, but there maybe a method to the madness. I thought it was interesting when my wife was playing cooking fever and comparing it to War Frame.

1. Both games had daily rewards you had to login in daily to collect ("If I log in, I might as well do...")
2. both games made you wait around a day for you to construct new content (cooking fever = new restaurant upgrades, War frame = New weapons / upgrades). ("Sweet, I got that new gun, I might as well take it for mission...3 hours later" :LOL:)

there are other similarities which although separate game genres, have some of the same mechanics.

I really enjoy this thread and has been something on my mind recently. Looking forward to seeing everyone's perspective.

Probably burnout. I'm there too. I did just fire up World of Warcraft again, though. Seems like I do that once a year around this time. Play for a month or two, get bored, then move into something else.

I've tried a few other games. PoE I play for a league or two. Tried the Witcher series. Didn't stick at all. Haven't doNE a Fallout game for awhile. I did have a strong game in Fallout 3, but I got to a point where the game kept crashing. Maybe I'll try 4.

Played Factorio for a bit. Then it started to become almost like work. Tower Defense games always get my attention. Sanctum 2 is fun.

Totally with you though. Kind of in between games. Warcraft has my attention though.

Games are fine nowadays. Just ignore the bs companies that push predatory actions.

( dont mention wow)

Take a look at Elder Scrolls Online. Its a good MMO. I had fun with it.

Greenmangaming is doing a huge discount now on the base game and its expansions:
https://www.greenmangaming.com/search/elder scrolls online

As for singleplayer, I always have a fallback, which is Skyrim. Sure I've put 1000 hours into it, but if you mod it, its pretty much endless content for you to explore, obtain and build your character.

Seeing how you like POE, do you like Diablo too? Check out my Diablo 1 Belzebub thread in the PC gaming section. It modernizes Diablo1. Its pretty awesome! https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/features

I know exactly how you feel. Which is why I'm playing Skyrim at the moment. But, maybe give up gaming for awhile since you've lost interest, or get into building small single board computers like I did and play old console games, there are ALOT of old console games that are worth playing and will give you hours of entertainment & you don't have to spend $1500 dollars to do it.

Take a look at Elder Scrolls Online. Its a good MMO. I had fun with it.

Greenmangaming is doing a huge discount now on the base game and its expansions:
https://www.greenmangaming.com/search/elder scrolls online

As for singleplayer, I always have a fallback, which is Skyrim. Sure I've put 1000 hours into it, but if you mod it, its pretty much endless content for you to explore, obtain and build your character.

Seeing how you like POE, do you like Diablo too? Check out my Diablo 1 Belzebub thread in the PC gaming section. It modernizes Diablo1. Its pretty awesome! https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/features

I know exactly how you feel. Which is why I'm playing Skyrim at the moment. But, maybe give up gaming for awhile since you've lost interest, or get into building small single board computers like I did and play old console games, there are ALOT of old console games that are worth playing and will give you hours of entertainment & you don't have to spend $1500 dollars to do it.
I did play ESO and followed alcast on his builds..its not a bad mmo but the pay 2 win is stronk there...i know u can buy vip and get crows. but still its gona cost me one way or another.
But i dont give anything for lore and story, so i just farm yellow mats to craft with or sell..that was all i could do in that game since the story quest dident interrest me. LIke what can you do in that game beside Pvp for end game...

I liked diablo 2 and tryed d3 but got disapointed..have hopes for D4

but do enlight me if you got something else :D

I get that feeling sometimes too. Even new games, I don't even enjoy compared to what it was 15 years ago ago.
It's always good to switch up genre's sometimes. I have an option to play racing titles once I get sick of FPS.

Most of the time these day's, I'm usually sitting on the couch playing old titles on Xbox 360 just for nostalgia of the good tines.
Currently playing Doom 3 right now and I find it really fun. I never did beat the game on PC back in 2004 when it was released.

Its Hit or Miss I probably refunded 20 games in the past 4 years alot of junk out there. You want a good game pick up Grim Dawn or Hellpoint just picked up Rainbow Six seige love that game.

I cant play games unless I drink Beet root powder once a week. Stuff gives me drive.

Back