Games today is not what they have been.

Psycrow

Limp Gawd
So i sit here and have 2 games installed on my gamer mashine.

I play warframe a bit and usualy when there is a good league then i play Poe.

I dont know what to play anymore..it seems like games has taken a U turn and it feels like you cant just play your favorite hero or style anymore.
Since many games have been updated to fit some kind of meta you need to follow or you just end up die or get no progress at all.
That is is how i feel games are now and eventualy i lost the interrest in games.

I wanted to get a new pc with a 3xxx card but why should i when the games feels dead to me.

Mann i feel depresed about games..i tryed to look on steam and i only see "games" that dosent even looks like games.
And yet there are streamers and youtubers sitting there and playing something that looks stupid and takes no brain or effort to play...
I cant tell if they are faking the fun they pretend to have..

But help me here..what should i play ?

I mainly like Mmorpg games..something wher ei can level up and farm and get ritch and stronger ect.
( dont mention wow)

Can anyone cure me for my gamer depression here and load me uo with a good game ?

criccio

Fully Equipped
I can't help you, i think games are fantastic but I just love "gamer mashine" and i wanted you to know. Feel better.

Aireoth

Supreme [H]ardness
So i sit here and have 2 games installed on my gamer mashine.

I play warframe a bit and usualy when there is a good league then i play Poe.

I dont know what to play anymore..it seems like games has taken a U turn and it feels like you cant just play your favorite hero or style anymore.
Since many games have been updated to fit some kind of meta you need to follow or you just end up die or get no progress at all.
That is is how i feel games are now and eventualy i lost the interrest in games.

I wanted to get a new pc with a 3xxx card but why should i when the games feels dead to me.

Mann i feel depresed about games..i tryed to look on steam and i only see "games" that dosent even looks like games.
And yet there are streamers and youtubers sitting there and playing something that looks stupid and takes no brain or effort to play...
I cant tell if they are faking the fun they pretend to have..

But help me here..what should i play ?

I mainly like Mmorpg games..something wher ei can level up and farm and get ritch and stronger ect.
( dont mention wow)

Can anyone cure me for my gamer depression here and load me uo with a good game ?

Well a couple of things, one your an mmorpg player so yes meta and the current dominance of cowtoeing to big streamers and 'balance' is frankly your bread and butter.

Indie games and smaller titles escew the comp/twitch/balance meta of modern gaming.

If mmos are what your gaming, then you don't need to spend the cash on new gpus unless its Destiny 2 or TD2.

I can't load you up with a good mmorpg as they all suck imho, and always have. There are lots of other genres to be excited about though.

Aireoth

Supreme [H]ardness
I refuse to watch any streamers..I want to play games..not watch em being played..im not from 2000

ok, but they are entirely relavent, particularly to anything MMO related. High profile streamers can literally influence balance patching and game meta, which is part of your complaint.

I do not participate in the steamer economy.

I can suggest games outside of mmo's if interested, i tend to schew my favorites towards more indie titles, but play just about everything.

Favorites of last year: Deep Rock Galactic, Remenant from the ashes, Control.

Domingo

Fully [H]
MMO's and the like aren't exactly hot right now. That's probably what ails you. As a huge fighting game fan, I've been there. The genre all but died for 7-8 years. But it eventually rebounded. For your sake, hopefully that happens with the MMO's that you like.
If you're willing to deviate a little, there are a lots of good games out there right now. Some are new (Horizon, RDR2, Outer Worlds, Control, Mortal Shell, maybe Death Stranding), while others are only new'ish (Borderlands 3, Remnant, RE2/RE3, Sekiro, AC: Odyssey). With the new consoles hitting very soon, there will be an influx of new games coming along with them. Cyberpunk, RE8/Village, Godfall, AC: Valhalla, etc. You can also explore MS's GamePass. $10 per month for unlimited access to a ton of games both new and old. They have a free trial so you can see if anything strikes your fancy.

Psycrow

Limp Gawd
I tryed ff14 and was super bored..also i dont see the hype in this game..
And yes ur right mmoprg is dead and streamers are ruining it for me.

I just dont like streamers at all one bit

J Macker

[H]F Junkie
Genshin Impact ?

It looks and plays like Zelda Breath of the Wild, but there are many differences, especially the combat. It's free, so might as well give it a try if the style appeals to you.

criccio

Fully Equipped
Genshin Impact ?

It looks and plays like Zelda Breath of the Wild, but there are many differences, especially the combat. It's free, so might as well give it a try if the style appeals to you.

In love with this game right now, cannot get enough.

Krenum

[H]F Junkie
This is how I felt for a while too.

Which is why I have shifted into building Retro Consoles & Single Board Computers, I can put games on them that I am fond or find RPG's that I missed to play, and its fun to try to build a system that is more powerful than the previous. I just completed building my own version of a Playstation Classic using its original case and power supply (Well half of it's Power supply atleast :)). If you think you'd be into that sort of thing, research a Raspberry Pi or Single Board Computers if you haven't already.

On the MMO side of things, Elderscrolls Online was relatively fun, but like all MMO's it does get boring after you've done everything & is filled to the brim with fetch quests but it had good voiceacting, pretty much like playing a multiplayer Skyrim. The people who play it in my experience never really talk much or they want to do dungeons as fast as possible which can be annoying if you're trying to listen to an NPC to get storyline.

Getting older doesn't have to be depressing, not if you're willing to learn new things & experiment with new hobbies.

Last edited:

Bman123

Supreme [H]ardness
I get like this every now and then. I mainly play shooters and it’s the same thing year after year. On a whim I got dead by daylight for me and a friend to try. I’ve dumped hundreds of hours on it in the last couple months and it’s all I really play now.

Get out of your comfort zone and try something new, you might find the diamond in the rough that you completely blew off.

Psycrow

Limp Gawd
Ur all prolly right, but im a stickler and hard to convince..and yes skyrim is not bad but will get boring in the end unless you wanna do pvp and dayli dungeons. They made this ridicules hard solo dungeon where get yellow gear for random end treasure.
I see Baldurs gate 3 is out now for beta but i will wait until it is finished.

Its just when i look on steam then i only see shitty games or ment for kidz games..games that are not even games..then i look on different cdkey sites that just wants to sell me what is "hot " in ther eyes.

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
best games in the last five years? Breath new life and enjoyment into gaming? (BTW Path of Exile would be on this list, but you already know it)

Try:
Witcher 3
Wolfenstein New Order
Darkest Dungeon
Slay the Spire
Hunt Showdown
FTL: Faster than Light (yes older than 5 years but fantastic)

Cmustang87

Supreme [H]ardness
You might be experiencing some burnout. Try taking a small break and coming back. Maybe take on a new hobby on the side and come back with a fresh perspective and dive in. Maybe you can learn programming? Woodworking?

Stitch1

Weaksauce
If MMORPGs are your thing you should at least give Elderscrolls Online a chance. It's F2P so there's nothing to lose.

If you want a single player RPG experience I would recommend Witcher 3 and Fallout 4.

Krenum

[H]F Junkie
Like others have said, Play the Witcher games, if you like RPG's they are excellent.

UnknownSouljer

Supreme [H]ardness
In Cyberpunk we trust.

Baldur's Gate 3 is shaping up well. Wasteland 2 is excellent. There is the Divinity Series.
Try another trip through Mass Effect (or better yet wait for the remaster). All the Dark/Demon Souls games.
DX:HR, DX:MD for something different.

But I like you generally don't play games nearly as much as I used to. And frankly I'm not an otaku. I only want to play games that are (what I consider to be) 95%+ games. Frankly games that I personally consider worth playing come out once every 2 years. And often times once every 3 years. That isn't most gamer mentalities and that also isn't most people on the Hardforums mentality.

Games to me are like movies (or frankly like any artform - you can make a comparison with any of them). After you gain some level of taste and understand the art form you realize most movies are trash. And similarly most games are trash. There are still incredible films being made to this day, but most of what gets put in theaters (or used to before Covid 19) weren't really worth watching. They'd follow the patterns of the year. You'd get your slasher flicks and rom coms at their appointed times in the calendar - and in the summer you'll get your blockbusters. And then a few auteurs actually make something that's original, interesting, and insightful.

Games are much the same. EA will crank out a new COD and Assassins Creed every year. People that like "blockbusters" will continue to buy them. But if you have discerning taste and you're looking for something else that's more interesting than a twitch shooter - you have to expect to wait a while (although arguably id has taken the action shooter to the point of being an art form). Good games still come out. It just requires wading through a lot of mediocre to get there.

I realize my post is edgelord and "controversial". But after gaming for over 30 years I've seen and played enough to come to the conclusions I have. Not that I expect everyone else to arrive where I have. It's clear like in my art example regarding movies, most people never do. Most people when they watch a movie aren't interested in learning something or feeling something - they just want to be entertained. Was the film "cool"? And frankly that's why we have trends in games and films the way we do.

In conclusion: don't feel like you have to play everything or be satisfied with what's available. Don't feel like just 'any' game should entertain you. Play what you want to play. And ignore the tastes and preferences of others. Including me. Because even though I consider every game I listed here to be excellent - if you don't enjoy those styles of games it won't really help you.

WarriorX

2[H]4U
I sometimes can't figure out what I want to play either. Have too many games I want to play but can't decide what to play so I end up playing nothing... I'm trying a new method to break that.
I've created a list of games to play in the short term. I have a long playthrough game, something that takes dozens of hours to play. I short playthrough game, usually less than 20 hours to finish. I have a few genre specific picks, so I have an RTS I'll play, a sandbox game, a Sim, etc. I than rotate through them over the days and weeks. These are just single player, I have another list for multiplayer / co-op games with friends. It might seem excessive or too much work but I have been using this to help get through my massive backlog by providing a narrow list of games to play instead of looking at a list of hundreds to play from. It only took a few minutes to make and has helped me focus on what to play.

With that said, I think PC gaming has been doing great with the games, yes some publishers are doing their best to destroy it, but indie games have really helped creating new games.

n0ob3r

n00b
Taking things from a different perspective, have you tried to broaden your borders a little bit? Perhaps maybe a different hobby altogether? I am not saying to give up gaming. But maybe taking a step back from the keyboard would make it more appetizing when you come back?

Another thing I have tried is playing games that are completely out of my typical genre. I have found games I never thought I would enjoy and it is nice to come back to the oldie but goldies after I have had a break :)