Games that use DX10?, still can play with dx9c?

Dethman

[H]ard|Gawd
Im upgrading from a x800pro to a x1950xt, because the x800 died, and the x1950xt is a great price and performance upgrade. I cant wait a few months with no gaming for the R600 ,plus i wont have the cash for it im sure. So what is my position gamming wise if I wait for this time next year to get a dx10 card?. Im wondering what games that are coming out within the next year that are dx10, and can i play dx10 games on my x1950xt, but play them in dx9c? what would be the difference? would i be able to play these games with somewhat high quality? or am I already back to medium graphics like I was with my x800 in fear

It will be a LONG time until dx9 wont be used.
Hell, there are still games that fall back to dx7 being released.

DX9 won't die anytime soon because game companies, unlike a lot of hardware manufactures, aren't dumb and don't alienate huge portions of their target market when new standards come out.

Expect DX9 to be used in games, exclusively or simply by turning off settings (a la HRD in Oblivion when it isn't supported kinda thing), for at least another year or two. Maybe more.

All DX10 games will require the use of Vista as the OS. Vista is not likely to grow fast enough (at $400 or so a shot) to keep game developers interested in DX10 only games. There "may" be 1-2 DX10 only games released by the end of 2007 but I doubt it. A game company has to make money and that requires selling games. They will not be the motivating force to get people to upgrade to Vista. That would mean a game would cost $450 plus the headaches of OS upgrades for each sale. Never happen.

Everyone worrying about DX10 games and DX10 hardware are being a bit unrealistic. Movement will be very, very slow towards DX10. Just don't even consider it when you need to upgrade through all of 2007. It is W A Y too early to ask, "Should I buy a DX10 card?"

Please understand that the dx10 cards will be beasts. I have an 8800 GTX and it is unbelievable! But I don't even know if it will run a DX10 game. And frankly, I don't care. I want single card performance in DX9 games and this video card gives it to me. I'm sure the R600 will give similar performance. But don't buy these cards to support DX10. It's just ... silly. (I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.)

I bet my balls that there will be a hack that will allow WinXP users to execute DX10 applications

The only DX10 ONLY game I'm aware of right now is Halo 2. Every other game with DX10 support will have a DX9 path and a DX10 path, Crysis and Alan Wake for example. Other games will inherently support DX9 but receive a patch to add DX10 support, Flight Sim X and UT2007 for example.

EvilNando said:
I bet my balls that there will be a hack that will allow WinXP users to execute DX10 applications

I bet your balls that there will be too.

:D

EvilNando said:

I'm willing to let you make this sacrifice :p

kango i agree, buying a dx10 card for the sake of it being dx10 for the future right now is not smart, considering a better dx10 card will be out at the same price point when dx10 will be widely used

EvilNando said:
Agreed. Someone will make the hack, as much as it is "impossible". There is always a way.

Dethman said:
kango i agree, buying a dx10 card for the sake of it being dx10 for the future right now is not smart, considering a better dx10 card will be out at the same price point when dx10 will be widely used

I bought a DX10 card now, because it is plain ass FAST in every DX9 game we have, and will STILL be FAST when DX10 games hit....
:D

EvilNando said:

Who's balls do you get if your right? :D

Brent_Justice said:
The only DX10 ONLY game I'm aware of right now is Halo 2. .

I'm fairly sure Halo 2 is completely DX9 (it just requires Vista)

Bungie said it would be DX9, but here's a question.

Would you rather shell out $300 for a decent DX9 card now and another $400 for a decent DX10 card in a year or two, or just get a great DX10 card for $500 now?

Joga said:
I'm fairly sure Halo 2 is completely DX9 (it just requires Vista)
Yup, so now insted of a hack to get DX10 running on XP, were wating for a hack just for Halo 2.

Well, I'd still like some of the hotness of the DX10 features on my XP too :p

Seriously, my XP x64 is 100% perfect, I don't see why I should be forced to upgrade to something which I frankly think is god-awful ugly just for the new shaders.

PORT DX10 TO WINDOWS XP! :p

djBon2112 said:
Well, I'd still like some of the hotness of the DX10 features on my XP too :p

Seriously, my XP x64 is 100% perfect, I don't see why I should be forced to upgrade to something which I frankly think is god-awful ugly just for the new shaders.

PORT DX10 TO WINDOWS XP! :p

Are you kidding? They won't do that. They need a compelling reason for gamers to upgrade.

Seriously, aren't you just a little tired of looking at Windows XP? I know I am. 5 years of it and I am ready for a change.

You're talking about an industry that is only NOW coming around to the idea of putting games on DVD-ROM. Most of us have had DVD-ROM drives for years.

Dan_D said:
Are you kidding? They won't do that. They need a compelling reason for gamers to upgrade.

Seriously, aren't you just a little tired of looking at Windows XP? I know I am. 5 years of it and I am ready for a change.

Style XP and a dedicated Linux box would keep XP looking fresh.

Dan_D said:
I've been breathing oxygen for many years, I'm not really in the mood to change that. 8)

Just because something is old doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. The fact that XP has been around for five years means something.

SuperSubZero said:
I've been breathing oxygen for many years, I'm not really in the mood to change that. 8)

Just because something is old doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. The fact that XP has been around for five years means something.

yeah, it means that MS are shit developers.

spy_kitty said:

I have no sympathy left for software developers. The last year they have gotten away with my money many times and left me eating buggy cr*p. I understand its mostly the publishers fault that PC games are rushed out but still :mad:

Then again M$ has no troubles like small game developpers and look what kinda crap they are pulling with Vista:

Vistas worse and best

SuperSubZero said:
You're talking about an industry that is only NOW coming around to the idea of putting games on DVD-ROM. Most of us have had DVD-ROM drives for years.

True enough.

EliteFantasy said:
Style XP and a dedicated Linux box would keep XP looking fresh.

Bored with Style XP, and KDE/Gnome are starting to look better than XP.

spy_kitty said:

I wouldn't say that. MS has a bad rep, but in the last few years they've really gotten alot better. Windows XP is the best OS they've released yet in my opinion. That and Windows Server 2003.

It does seem rediculous that it took this long to develop a successor to Windows XP, especially considering XP's development wasn't that long. I'ts essentially a modified version of Windows 2000.

Dan_D said:

Actually, I'm not. My current GUI settings I particularially like and just changing my background is enough for me.

Oh, and actually, I'm using the classic skin, which means I've been using it for 8 or so years since I got Windows 98. :p

djBon2112 said:
Actually, I'm not. My current GUI settings I particularially like and just changing my background is enough for me.

Oh, and actually, I'm using the classic skin, which means I've been using it for 8 or so years since I got Windows 98. :p

I use the classic skin too, even so I am really just tired of looking at the same old OS year after year after year. I will be very pleased to be running something different.

Dethman said:

I think this is to general a statement to make. It totally depends on an individuals situation as to whether or not an upgrade to a DX10 capable card right now.

I picked up a GTS because I am limited to 1280x1024 on my panel and I don't want to upgrade right now. This card can do everything at 1280x1024 at a minimum of 60FPS with 8xSSAA and 16xAF. And, I should be good to go with DX10 titles although I may have to go to like 4xAF.

I am very happy with my decision. The only thing that is pissing me off right now about this card is drivers but that will be resolved eventually.

Back