Games that Stress the Player :)

• Thread starter Deleted member 83233
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 83233

Alien Isolation.

There, now we have a thread for this. ***UPDATE***And games that just piss you off period...***UPDATE***

Edit: I'll add the System Shock games. They don't stress you out quite like Alien, but when you're down to your last three rounds and you have a hybrid chasing you down and apologizing to you as they bash at your head with a wrench, you really start to lean back in your chair trying to get a few inches further away. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, alien isolation, for the first quarter of the game. then the rest its just plain easy.

IMHO, Metro series in ranger hardcore mode.. not HUD, Low Ammo, Die faster, Stronger enemies, that can be really stressful when you are out of Ammo trying to play stealth because you have a lot of nosalis near =D.

Any competitive multiplayer shooter. Very hit-or-miss when doing Crucible how i'll feel about it. Yesterday I was stressed and pissed. I just couldn't concentrate. Other days i'm in the top 3 on my team.

Another stressful thing is doing Raids in Destiny.

I wish I could remember the names.... there were some somewhat obscure NES "shmups"... some of the hardest games ever. I think my brain was traumatized which is why I can't remember the names. This one game in particular. It wasn't a "mainstream" title like a Gradius or Thunderforce, either.

I finally got around to playing Super Meat Boy. Using an XBox 360 controller, I cleared all but one bandage in The Forest (both light and dark), and had to stop playing the game because my fingers and thumbs hurt so bad.

FT does shit to synths except make it more terrifying as they beat you/choke you death WHILE on fire. FT does shit when the Alien drops on your head from a vent.

meh... if you were surprise attacked by the Alien then you never played it seriously, after the flame thrower the only thing to worry it's to keep a good provision of combustible and Molotov Cocktail.. All the times aliens were just easy to avoid by just using the noisemaker..

in the other hand also remembered some stressful parts of Trine 2...

And of course the more challenging game played in my history of gaming, Ninja Gaiden...

Seriously.

mariofeet-battletoads.jpg

I think that was the first time in my life I've raged over a video game. :mad:

EVE Online. I lost two nights sleep over the fact I did a contract to someone in .4 knowing they were going to pod me when I arrived. It was either get podded or lose 90% of my ISK (I was brand new to the game).

I wish I could remember the names.... there were some somewhat obscure NES "shmups"... some of the hardest games ever. I think my brain was traumatized which is why I can't remember the names. This one game in particular. It wasn't a "mainstream" title like a Gradius or Thunderforce, either.

OH there were some games on the nes that made me rage so hard, to the point of spiking cartridges, biting controllers and just having all out rage quit scenes.

Ninja Gaiden, Golgo 13, Double Dragon to name a few...

OH there were some games on the nes that made me rage so hard, to the point of spiking cartridges, biting controllers and just having all out rage quit scenes.

Ninja Gaiden, Golgo 13, Double Dragon to name a few...

I recall an NES game where at the end of the level you had to crouch in the corner for like ten seconds. It wasn't until something like ten years later I stumbled across that little nugget of info online somewhere.

I recall an NES game where at the end of the level you had to crouch in the corner for like ten seconds. It wasn't until something like ten years later I stumbled across that little nugget of info online somewhere.

I'm not recalling anything specific on that one. I almost want to say Contra but I think that's wrong.

Gigawing or any of the Thunderforce games. on Nes I recall one being Thunderdrome? or something like that. aaah Twin Cobra, but there was another one where your on like a motorcycle and it was topdown, cant think of it.

I'm not recalling anything specific on that one. I almost want to say Contra but I think that's wrong.

Damnit. Wasn't Contra, no. You went all the way to the left, crouched for 10 seconds or so and I door would open accessing the next level.

I can't remember the game now. Aw man, this is going to frustrate me now.

Gigawing or any of the Thunderforce games. on Nes I recall one being Thunderdrome? or something like that. aaah Twin Cobra, but there was another one where your on like a motorcycle and it was topdown, cant think of it.

Yeah! Thunderforce was pretty crazy. Gaiares too. The original Raiden started off pretty tame, but eventually got pretty tricky.

Rolling Thunder starts to piss me off after a while.

I mentioned some Dr. Wily stages in Megaman games in the other Stress thread on accident, so I'll add those here too.

My blood just accelerated and is disturbed for some reason... Rage. On the level of Gradius 3 Arcade, but I've beat Gradius 3 Arcade. Gaiares makes me want to break stuff. I dont think my blood pressure will allow me to ever finish it.

Damnit. Wasn't Contra, no. You went all the way to the left, crouched for 10 seconds or so and I door would open accessing the next level.

I can't remember the game now. Aw man, this is going to frustrate me now.

Didn't Wrath of the Black Manta have something like this?
I remember having to go through the floor to beat one of the bosses.

My blood just accelerated and is disturbed for some reason... Rage. On the level of Gradius 3 Arcade, but I've beat Gradius 3 Arcade. Gaiares makes me want to break stuff. I dont think my blood pressure will allow me to ever finish it.

I don't think I made it more than half-way in. Such a cool game though. I still have the cartridge. (I only play it in emulation now though...) I may put in some codes and just finish it up just to see the rest of it sometime, but so far I've just tried the old-fashioned way, and not made it all that far. :D

I don't think I made it more than half-way in. Such a cool game though. I still have the cartridge. (I only play it in emulation now though...) I may put in some codes and just finish it up just to see the rest of it sometime, but so far I've just tried the old-fashioned way, and not made it all that far. :D

The grating music just adds to the frustration. It's because the collision of your ship is huge in this game, anything breathing near you kills you. Just seeing the name brings out all these memories of pain and rage... and I love shmups, but this one... oh, this one, makes me mad just thinking about it...

Last edited:
The grating music just adds to the frustration. It's because the collision of your ship is huge in this game, anything breathing near you kills you. Just seeing the name brings out all these memories of pain and rage... and I love shmups, but this one... oh, this one, makes me mad just thinking about it...

:D The last level or two of Air Buster kinda bring that out in me. The way the foreground moves around, it's nearly impossible to get through. I think I had to finally cheat my way through that one. One of my favorite shooters though of that time.

Rygar! Beat it, but the worst part was a lot of times had to leave your NES on when you went to school/overnight, only to have your Mom bump the damn thing or turn it off and had to restart the game.

Master Blaster had some pretty frustrating bosses.

Faxandu had some serious jumping problems until you got the hang of it. But "don't have negative thoughts." That used to piss me off something fierce.

Another one is Shadow of the Beast II. One wrong move in this game, and you can't complete the game. Used to piss me off to no end. The thing was I knew the order to do things after about 1000 tries, but there were so many ways to screw it up after you were way into the game. An example, you get about 1/3 through, and you have to jump into the water. As you're carried by the current a vine comes by that you have to jump up and grab. If you don't time it exactly right, that's it. You're dead, game over. Start again. Still though the game compelled you to keep trying. Excellent atmosphere, music, graphics, etc.

Lets not forget the horror of *Almost* making it to a checkpoint and dying to some BS stray bullet that came from behind and start the WHOLE stage over again.

FURY.
RAGE.
ANGER.

For some strange reason I want to play it now...

Rygar! Beat it, but the worst part was a lot of times had to leave your NES on when you went to school/overnight, only to have your Mom bump the damn thing or turn it off and had to restart the game.

Master Blaster had some pretty frustrating bosses.

Faxandu had some serious jumping problems until you got the hang of it. But "don't have negative thoughts." That used to piss me off something fierce.

Time to play it again with the luxury of the Save State. :cool:

Can I bring Fester's Quest in this thread too?
Because that game is a fun*puke* walk in the park/sarcasm

Forgot to mention Airborne Ranger on the C64. The game itself was awesome, but it took about 20 minutes to load. Son of a.... Jeep Command was pretty awesome too. Loved the music but, damn it anyway!

I guess if we're rolling games that just plain piss you off into this thread, it wouldn't possibly be complete without mentioning Dark Seed!!! The scheduling where if you miss a delivery the game is over. The 2-pixel pin on the library floor... (I'd have tagged that as a spoiler, but once someone realizes that it's ACTUALLY 2 pixels and almost the same color as the floor, I think they'll be happy it's spoiled...) My brother and I scoured this game for at least a week before we found that stupid thing.

Forgot to mention Airborne Ranger on the C64. The game itself was awesome, but it took about 20 minutes to load. Son of a.... Jeep Command was pretty awesome too. Loved the music but, damn it anyway!

Ha! That's how I felt about Castle Wolfenstein. Even with an Epyx Fastload it took about an hour to load the level. Then you move three spaces in, get caught, and it loads all over again. :mad:

Back