Games that should be revived...

How about the Freedom force series? An updated version perhaps?

A new Freedom Force would be amazing. I remember the original creators even said they wanted to do a new one sometime within the last five years but then I never heard anything else.

Total Annihilation
Supreme commander was ok, but TA was fucking amazing. Give me that same game, but built for multicore.

HomeWorld
The remaster was ok, but still limited. Give me that, or something like it. Battlestar deadlock was alright, but everything outside of the combat was shit. resource management and the 4x was terrible.

Men of War
WW2 RTS, visually amazing, incredible detail, down to managing inventory of individual units and even controlling their aim. Game had terrain destruction and shell ballistics. This game was like the classic "A bridge too far", but with masterful design and tech years ahead. The later games, the assault squad games, dumbed it down to focus on action, feels arcade. The first time I had my tank get hit by an incoming shell at a bad angle, and it deflected off the armor and smashed through a building and took down a wall, I was amazed.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
HomeWorld
The remaster was ok, but still limited. Give me that, or something like it. Battlestar deadlock was alright, but everything outside of the combat was shit. resource management and the 4x was terrible.

You, sir, are in luck. HomeWorld 3 is currently in production by Blackbird Entertainment for Gearbox. They used Kickstarter to gauge interest and it funded rather quickly (I'll admit it - I backed it...)

Phantasy Star Online.

I thought about listing it in my previous post, but held back because I don't think it was really that great of a MMO compared to many others even at the time. But it was the only one I've EVER played and available to me on the Dreamcast back in the day, so we had to take what we could get on that console, hah. That game in the hands of a good modern studio with modern game play mechanics and tech could be amazing though, as space/planet exploration is one of my favorite settings in both movies and games. I got it on Gamecube too with the PS 1 & 2 bundle, but didn't have broadband internet at the time or the network adapter that I don't think was ever stocked by a brick and mortar store, but I'm sure the online community wasn't nearly as big as on DC consider it came with a modem at least out of the box and wasn't restricted to broadband internet.

Phantasmagoria

Definitely an off-meta pick, but I like it. Hell, I'd go further and say I wish the classic Sierra Online studio was still around. The Williams spearheaded a LOT of innovative stuff back in the day, and damn near every game they ever made is considered a classic. The gaming world has been just that little bit poorer ever since they sold themselves out... :(

Definitely an off-meta pick, but I like it. Hell, I'd go further and say I wish the classic Sierra Online studio was still around. The Williams spearheaded a LOT of innovative stuff back in the day, and damn near every game they ever made is considered a classic. The gaming world has been just that little bit poorer ever since they sold themselves out... :(

Same vein, Tex Murphy?

I found the characters really likeable, especially Tex

I'd personally like revivals of the following games/worlds:

Lands of Lore (similar to Gothic games)
Myst/Riven
Double Dragon

I'm 100% onboard for a new Lands of Lore... IF they go back to the style of the first one. I tried very hard to get into 2 and 3, but they were pretty unplayable. That was a major letdown because the original Lands is a game that I absolutely loved and still play from time to time. Step-based games rule. At least we have Legend of Grimrock. Speaking of which...

Another Legend of Grimrock would be great!

I'd personally like revivals of the following games/worlds:

Lands of Lore (similar to Gothic games)
Myst/Riven
Double Dragon
I completely forgot about double dragon, loved that series, double dragon with battle toads was a classic too

Swat
Rise of the Triad
Commander keen
Scorched earth
Joint Operations
NCAA Football
Police Quest
Heretic (think Doom reboot with Heretic).
BF2 remake. Make it part for part the same just update the graphics.
Ghost Recon. The original ones, nothing after the 1st was as good.
Leisure suit Larry with an M rating.
Money Island
Wing Commander
Black and White

Commander keen

Joint Operations

Was pretty sure they already made a commander keen reboot for mobile or something but I'd also love a new one :)

Joint Operations was what battlefield tried to be later but with a much better online community and balance of vehicles, huge maps and cooperative play. It also played great on dial-up.

Was pretty sure they already made a commander keen reboot for mobile or something but I'd also love a new one :)

Joint Operations was what battlefield tried to be later but with a much better online community and balance of vehicles, huge maps and cooperative play. It also played great on dial-up.

You are correct about there being a new Commander Keen. The amount of hate for it was massive. Check out the likes vs dislikes on the trailer

You are correct about there being a new Commander Keen. The amount of hate for it was massive. Check out the likes vs dislikes on the trailer

What the hell was that?? It looked like a 90s new style comic, not a game trailer.
I can see why it was unpopular..
Methesda, not even once.

How the hell did I forget this one...

Syndicate Wars

With our current technology, the point and click adventure genre is ripe for a return. If you take out the shooting elements, Resident Evil 7 and the remake of 2 show what's possible in 3rd and 1st person.

Interstate '76 needs a remake more than any game in existence. Or maybe a reboot. I don't want a sequel. Even the gog version is unplayable on modern computers without a ton of tweaking that probably won't even work. Soldier of Fortune would be cool but I think that one did get some sequels and iirc they sucked and had toned down gore compared to the original. One person said Tribes but only the original with the renegades mod was good. Another sequel would probably suck like the last 2 (or has it been 3 now?). Same for Duke Nukem. Randy Pitchford would probably either make it into an SJW influenced mess or would just make it crap on purpose because of his politics.

My addition to the list: Giants Citizen Kabuto. I loved the very British humor in that game, the gameplay was fun, and if you played the European or patched US version the game even had tiddies!

Edit: A new Redneck Rampage would be good too. My hick cousins used to love playing that and laughing at themselves. Good times.

I still have my Interstate '76 CDs sitting in my CD case, along with Quake, MDK and all my other old games.

For me:
Half Life (non-VR, though at this point it would likely be like DNF... a huge letdown)
Tie Fighter/X-Wing - give me Elite Dangerous level flight model and visuals, with a good Star Wars story and AI wingmates to mask how much I suck at dog fighting even though I have a HOTAS.
KOTOR
Mass Effect
Populous/Black & White
Everquest (though I would never play it, as I do not have the free time to sink into it like I once did)
NCAA Football (and preferably not by just EA)
Unreal Tournament ( I really loved Bombing Run game mode) - I just googled it and it looks like Epic is actually working on something
Games that let players also be developers (of the levels)
Games that did not use micro-transactions and "unlocks" to mask boring gameplay

I still have my Interstate '76 CDs sitting in my CD case, along with Quake, MDK and all my other old games.

For me:
Half Life (non-VR, though at this point it would likely be like DNF... a huge letdown)
Tie Fighter/X-Wing - give me Elite Dangerous level flight model and visuals, with a good Star Wars story and AI wingmates to mask how much I suck at dog fighting even though I have a HOTAS.
KOTOR
Mass Effect
Populous/Black & White
Everquest (though I would never play it, as I do not have the free time to sink into it like I once did)
NCAA Football (and preferably not by just EA)
Unreal Tournament ( I really loved Bombing Run game mode) - I just googled it and it looks like Epic is actually working on something
Games that let players also be developers (of the levels)
Games that did not use micro-transactions and "unlocks" to mask boring gameplay

X-Wing has a remake in the works (sort of). It's being ported to the unity engine with upgraded graphics. You'll still need the original game for legal reasons though. Here's a link: https://www.moddb.com/mods/xwvm

The new UT was abandoned once they realized how much money they could make off Fortnite unless you're talking about something else.

You are correct about there being a new Commander Keen.
awww.... poor Tom Hall, I bet he's cringing hard, whether he's involved in the project or not... it was his baby back in the day

Last edited:
X-Wing has a remake in the works (sort of). It's being ported to the unity engine with upgraded graphics. You'll still need the original game for legal reasons though. Here's a link: https://www.moddb.com/mods/xwvm

The new UT was abandoned once they realized how much money they could make off Fortnite unless you're talking about something else.
Thanks for the information.
I missed that the Unreal Tournament that I found was from 2014, so the whole "this is early access, etc." is outdated and abandoned now.

They need a redo of Midtown Madness.. cops and robbers with open maps on the lan was mad fun.

Bring back UT Bombing Run. Bombing Run w/ Arena maps is a much better Rocket League

Hell yeah, Midtown Madness was so much back in the day. I was equally a fan of Motocross Madness. I'm still waiting for an MX game as good as MCM2 was.

I always like the King's Quest games.

Would also like to see another bioshock game in Rapture.

Wow! Did not know that they were making new Wizardry games...

That's just a port of the PS3 game from like a decade ago. Wizardry is still popular in Japan, but it's completely different from the Western series. The games are much more serious, and haven't evolved. Probably not going to be popular in the west. I.e. It takes like 4 hours to create a party, and you can become weaker when you level up.

Phantasy Star Online.

I thought about listing it in my previous post, but held back because I don't think it was really that great of a MMO compared to many others even at the time. But it was the only one I've EVER played and available to me on the Dreamcast back in the day, so we had to take what we could get on that console, hah. That game in the hands of a good modern studio with modern game play mechanics and tech could be amazing though, as space/planet exploration is one of my favorite settings in both movies and games. I got it on Gamecube too with the PS 1 & 2 bundle, but didn't have broadband internet at the time or the network adapter that I don't think was ever stocked by a brick and mortar store, but I'm sure the online community wasn't nearly as big as on DC consider it came with a modem at least out of the box and wasn't restricted to broadband internet.
They are finally releasing PSO2 in the west as F2P in the spring.

Same vein, Tex Murphy?

I found the characters really likeable, especially Tex

Tesla Effect came out a few years ago and I really enjoyed it. There was a new one due out in 2019 called A Posioned Pawn. IDK what happened with it but should be still coming out.

Tribes
Tribes
Tribes
Tribes Renegade Mod

I wish, but I doubt it will happen. Hi-Rez made Tribes Ascend witch was pretty fun but they didn't monetize it well and they stopped supporting it. That was made with Unreal Engine 3 a long time ago, and Hi-Rez refuses to use UE4 for new games they still use UE3.... So if they did make a new Tribes it would probably suck.

My choices as some have been said already.

Medal of honor would be sweet, if they could get the same multiplayer type feel as the old WW2 games, not too fast, not too slow just right.

Command & Conquer for sure! I miss this series dearly.

Company of heroes would be another RTS series I'd like to see come back.

Supreme commander for sure, was fun building up for an epic battle.

Jane's WW2 Fighters was fun, I'd like a modern take of it (although I do play War Thunder too)

Be cool to get some older console games remade and ported over to PC but I doubt that'll ever happen :(

Back