Games run with a black border

Astralogic

Gawd
Hi, I just put a 7850 into my brothers computer but there was a small black border around the screen. I adjusted the overscan setting to correct it in CCC but the problem returns when he runs a game.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks
Astralogic

is there anyway you could screenshot it and upload it? I can't imagine why there would be a black border unless for some reason, the resolution is smaller than the screen?

Well it doesn't show up in screenshots, but if he sets the resolution to match the TV the borders go away.

But if he sets it to 1080 (which is larger than the TV's resolution) the borders return, but it didn't do that with his old nvidia card. He could set it to 1080 (and the image would look better somehow, I don't know how that works since the TV is only 1366x768), and would get borders.

It must be a setting somewhere.

Its scaling it, i dont see how setting it to 1080p on a 720p TV with his Nvidia card would have made it look better unless maybe the DPI was changed as well?

Leave the resolution at the TVs Native resolution. You basically fixed your own problem.

you have to change the settings on the tv. there is a setting called dot by dot. this fixed the problem for me. try other inputs and setting combinations.

you have to change the settings on the tv. there is a setting called dot by dot. this fixed the problem for me. try other inputs and setting combinations.

I agree that could be the case but not all TVs will have this setting

What adjustments are available on the display?

What is the scaling option set in CCC? Try a different setting from the one you are using.

Are you connecting using HDMI to a TV? Try searching for "ati hdmi underscan."

Its scaling it, i dont see how setting it to 1080p on a 720p TV with his Nvidia card would have made it look better unless maybe the DPI was changed as well?

Leave the resolution at the TVs Native resolution. You basically fixed your own problem.

It acts as a form of anti-aliasing.

Use the tv's native resolution, and force super-sampling AA in games on the catalyst control center. That should emulate the effect that was improving the picture quality beforehand.

There are a few full screen apps that have issues with AMDs Overscan setting. The scaling option should be set to 0% Overscan. I don’t know why it is not the default. How many people are running these setups with an old CRT TV? Anyway… The setting is or can be unique to each resolution and or refresh rate. When you run a game or DVD player, some can set their own resolution and or refresh rate ignoring what you have set in windows. This can in turn change the scaling. If you can, Tab out and look at the Scaling/Overscan setting when you are running the problem app. Some TVs can also show you the resolution and refresh rate being set to the TV. You can then set Windows to the same and again check the Scaling/Overscan setting. Lastly, you can just go through the main Windows resolution and refresh rates and again check the Scaling/Overscan setting.

Last edited:
In catalyst you need to find the overscan option in catalyst control center. Then if you notice it does it in certain games, figure out the refresh rate (some games use weird refresh rates, like 51hz), then set your desktop to that refresh rate and set the overscan again. Then you can put your desktop back to 60hz or whatever your normal setting is. Launch the game and it will be fixed.

Back