Games not recognizing my GPU

ettch

n00b
Hello,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, not sure where to post. Just bought my first gaming laptop - ASUS TUF A15. Went to NVIDIA website and downloaded + installed correct drivers for my exact GPU using clean install, installed Steam and booted up a couple of games including Grim Dawn. Graphics are extremely slow and laggy, including the main menu. The video options show the game using the default Microsoft render driver instead of my graphics card. In Device Manager (which for some reason keeps refreshing every two seconds) under Display Adapter, I see both the NVIDIA and Microsoft drivers. In the NVIDIA Control Panel I've set the GPU as the default, and I did the same in Windows Graphics Settings. I also tried forcing the game itself to use NVIDIA through the NVIDIA Control Panel. Tried setting the laptop power settings to High Performance, tried uninstalling/disabling the Microsoft driver. Nothing seems to work and I am out of ideas. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

see if you can disable the second gpu in the bios. update the bios. maybe ddu and install asus' driver version since this has dual gpus.

Thanks all. Based on my understanding this laptop has the NVIDIA 1660 GPU as it is a gaming laptop, and may have integrated graphics in the motherboard. The Device Manager doesn’t show any issues whatsoever, both drivers are running fine. I also checked the dxdiag and it doesn’t show my graphics card/driver, it just shows the basic Microsoft render driver. When I try to right click on the game icon and run it through the NVIDIA processor, I still have the same issue of it not detecting the graphics card.

Thanks all. Based on my understanding this laptop has the NVIDIA 1660 GPU as it is a gaming laptop, and may have integrated graphics in the motherboard. The Device Manager doesn’t show any issues whatsoever, both drivers are running fine. I also checked the dxdiag and it doesn’t show my graphics card/driver, it just shows the basic Microsoft render driver. When I try to right click on the game icon and run it through the NVIDIA processor, I still have the same issue of it not detecting the graphics card.
intel cpu? install their gpu drivers.

You need to switch in the nvidia control panel. I remember this fixing it for a friend. Google is sure to help.

reddit says to install asus armory crate and then set the gpu to "dedicated".

Thanks very much, all. I re-installed the NVIDIA driver and downloaded the AMD driver and it seems to have worked like a charm. AMD driver installed Radeon display software even though the GPU on this is NVIDIA GeForce... but it works, so I'm not even going to think about it.

Back