Games for Windows Marketplace : Deals Thread

For the 5 people left on [H] that don't own Stalker:SOC, they have no excuse for that price (unless of course they hate FPS games... at which point they are lost). I bought it at almost quadruple the price last year, and I would have paid even double that!!! :D

For the 5 people left on [H] that don't own Stalker:SOC, they have no excuse for that price (unless of course they hate FPS games... at which point they are lost). I bought it at almost quadruple the price last year, and I would have paid even double that!!! :D

I disagree. They should wait and buy it for 99 cents on steam.

Did I miss any? Just saw the stalker for 99 cent deal just now.

Viva Pinata, Blacklight Tango Down and Age of Empires III were all on sale for 99 cents this week. I think there are still a few more days left in the 99 cent deals. I think everyone is holding out for Gears, but we'll see.

Screw this, I am not creating an XBL account just to get some old games for a buck, they will eventually show up on steam for just as little.

Why? I own SoC on GFWL and it runs perfectly & thats your guys loss. its a 99 cents for a great game lol. People amaze me

There is more blind fandom for Valve and Steam in the PC section then there is for anything in the console forum. PC gamers are supposed to be more discerning, but when it comes to Valve and Steam so many of them turn into blubbering fangirls.

There is more blind fandom for Valve and Steam in the PC section then there is for anything in the console forum. PC gamers are supposed to be more discerning, but when it comes to Valve and Steam so many of them turn into blubbering fangirls.

It's not that, it's the inconvenience of creating an XBL account and having your information sold to yet another 493649632 different companies spamming your mailbox with shit.

I made a GLWM account and it said I'm from Brazil, therefore I cannot purchase any games. F U

I made a GLWM account and it said I'm from Brazil, therefore I cannot purchase any games. F U

lol, one time, probably a week after purchasing games the page loaded up as French Canadian. It stayed that way until I went through someone's US English link.

....do these Windows Live Games have to use a 360 controller? Just wondering. I have one, for Windows, but I do prefer a mouse.

M

I have US account, but half of the time I try to use shitty GFWL its telling me that my account is for unsupported region - yesterday I wasnt "allowed" to play Red Faction for this reason - today: no problem :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

....do these Windows Live Games have to use a 360 controller? Just wondering. I have one, for Windows, but I do prefer a mouse.

M

No, you don't have to use a gamepad. GfWL games support mouse and keyboard just like any other PC game.

sorry guys didnt know people have Issues with GFWL. was tired so I didnt think about what I was writing.

I picked up Stalker:SoC -- been playing the hell out of CoP and the bundles always tend to be both SoC/CoP bundled on Steam. Cannot wait to play the complete mod!

People who don't want to create an account just sound lazy to me.

I made one and hardly ever use it , but I am glad that I did because of the great deals there having lately. So far I've gotten Age of Empires 3 with both expansions for 99 cents and Shadowrun. I already own Max Payne 2.

PS
I never get any spam e-mails from GFWL.

Last edited:
Legit Gripe I have with GFWL: it's horribly slow downloading.

I have a 30/5 connection.

I download at 20-25mbit on Steam. I picked up stalker yesterday on GFWL, 0.5 mbit down. I ran a speed test just to be sure it wasn't my connection, was getting 28.5 / 4.1.

Legit Gripe I have with GFWL: it's horribly slow downloading.

I have a 30/5 connection.

I download at 20-25mbit on Steam. I picked up stalker yesterday on GFWL, 0.5 mbit down. I ran a speed test just to be sure it wasn't my connection, was getting 28.5 / 4.1.

Strange I was getting 1.2Mb down, maxing my connection.

eh, to be honest I will avoid all of these. I hate GFWL and will pay more to get the same stuff on steam.
This is just another situation where microsoft is seeing another company make money in a market they abandoned and now they want to own that pie.

The only thing I ever bought from the GFWL marketplace was one Fallout 3 DLC - and it was a nightmare.

I had to buy Microsoft points, but the store wouldn't allow me to do so. Finally, I bought the points via my Xbox 360 - a neat little trick, I thought. But then the marketplace on my PC wouldn't allow me to redeem the points even though the points were clearly there.

Finally I discovered why I wasn't being permitted to spend my points - it was because my PC's clock wasn't set to an international time server. It took me literally eight hours to determine that my motherboard had set my date incorrectly by exactly one month, which was the reason my time server wouldn't synch properly.

Can you imagine that? First I couldn't buy points, but then when I did buy them I couldn't spend them... because my date was set incorrectly.

Only Microsoft.

bought 3 copies of AoE III when they had the dime sale on it, purchased FEAR 2 and DoW:II uses GFWL. Never had a problem with the program. Only issue I had was a couple weeks ago I couldn't update due to something in Office 2010 breaking the Live Log-in assistant program... Never figured it out.

Thanks. I forgot to check our todays deal, grabbed Max Payne 2 with points I had for free :).
So far that makes 3 free games i have gotten thanks to MS and their bing bar deal :).

e
This is just another situation where microsoft is seeing another company make money in a market they abandoned and now they want to own that pie.

Welcome to economics. Heaven forbid a person or persons trying to make money for goods and services they provide.

Last edited:
I always wondered about this, but can I buy a game as a gift for a friend, like I can is Steam, using GFWL?

No, the GFW marketplace doesn't allow you to gift games.

You could always purchase and download the game, load it on a flash drive and give it to your friend as a gift that way. Large flash drives are getting cheaper now days. I have a PNY 8GB I got from Frys for 13 bucks.

You could always purchase and download the game, load it on a flash drive and give it to your friend as a gift that way.
Yes, but keep in mind that GFW doesn't allow you to buy multiple copies of a game, so if you already own a certain game through the service, you won't be able to buy another copy for a friend.

Yes, but keep in mind that GFW doesn't allow you to buy multiple copies of a game, so if you already own a certain game through the service, you won't be able to buy another copy for a friend.

You wouldn't have to. You would purchase the game, download the zip files they give you when you download there games. Unpack them into a folder. You don't have to install the games through the GFWL UI.

Then just write down the key or put it into a text file and give it to your friend via flashdrive.

You wouldn't have to. You would purchase the game, download the zip files they give you when you download there games. Unpack them into a folder. You don't have to install the games through the GFWL UI.

Then just write down the key or put it into a text file and give it to your friend via flashdrive.
So you're suggesting that two people use the same serial number?

So you're suggesting that two people use the same serial number?

No I was under the impression that you were purchasing the game for a another person. I had no idea that you wanted the game too.

In that case you would have to purchase it twice. All I'm suggesting is a workaround because GFWL doesn't offer "gift games".

GFWL is a pretty painless proccess to me. It's no more difficult that steam. It's actually easier as I don't have to log into GFWL everytime I play a game.

Back