Games for my mother?

wandplus

Limp Gawd
OK, some people might laugh. I don't even know if my mother would even play a video game. However, I wanted to build a computer with an Intel i5-10400 (prices are good now) for my mother. And just to show off the capabilities of the CPU I was wondering if there's any games that could play on the iGPU that she might like.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent should run alright on a iGPU. It's a puzzle/mystery game with some Lovecraftian-esque suspense.

If she doesn't play games currently, the hard part is going to be onboarding her onto control schemes and sign-posting.

Useful playlist:

Sims 4, Cities Skylines, Planet Coaster, and Peggle. If she takes to those, try Portal.

She already has a Tesla but you want to teach her how to operate a stick shift in a muscle car? This will end well.

Portal
Baba Is You
The Swapper
Flower (would probably run decent at 720p)
Similarly, Journey should run Decent at 720p.

QWOP
Porrasturvat - Stair Dismount
Trails
Oregon Trail
Jeopardy
Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
CP2077

Tetris Effect
SpinTires
Subnautica
I dunno man... some moms would probably love games like postal, manhunt, anime novel/romance games, etc... my mom liked human centipede, for example, my grandparents like the Witcher tv series, etc...

My mom is 83, but loves to play Mahjong and Solitaire on the computer i built for her. (Won't get internet though)

Some of the answers in this thread are ridiculous. I don't think people realize how hard it is for middle aged people to pick up gaming for the first time in their life. I tried to get my mom to play Uncharted 4. She never played a 3D game in her life. It did not go well. Moving the character and controlling the camera simultaneously was such a foreign concept and she just couldn't do it.

I'd avoid anything with complex movement mechanics, inventory management, crafting, or tricky puzzles. Start with something simple. Walking simulators might be an option. The Life is Strange series has simple enough gameplay with a really engaging narrative, so that might fit the bill. The remaster just released as well.

My mother in law used to be hardcore into those games you can buy at the walmart checkstands for like 10 bucks with hidden item searches. That and games similar to peggle or other pop cap games. And she constantly played on laptops that she bought from walmart as well.

My mother in law used to be hardcore into those games you can buy at the walmart checkstands for like 10 bucks with hidden item searches. That and games similar to peggle or other pop cap games. And she constantly played on laptops that she bought from walmart as well.
Yeah, bigfishgames.com is a great site for that kind of game.

Some of the answers in this thread are ridiculous. I don't think people realize how hard it is for middle aged people to pick up gaming for the first time in their life. I tried to get my mom to play Uncharted 4. She never played a 3D game in her life. It did not go well. Moving the character and controlling the camera simultaneously was such a foreign concept and she just couldn't do it.

I'd avoid anything with complex movement mechanics, inventory management, crafting, or tricky puzzles. Start with something simple. Walking simulators might be an option. The Life is Strange series has simple enough gameplay with a really engaging narrative, so that might fit the bill. The remaster just released as well.
You should of seen my 72 year old mom try VR with the index.

I don't think people realize how hard it is for middle aged people to pick up gaming for the first time in their life.
My parents played video games before I was even born, and I'm not young. You must be very old if you didn't know adults who played them... They have been common fare for adults for 40 years or so now between home computer systems, pinball, arcades, and later consoles.

My parents played video games before I was even born, and I'm not young. You must be very old if you didn't know adults who played them... They have been common fare for adults for 40 years or so now between home computer systems, pinball, arcades, and later consoles.
Yeah... not really.

You could maybe argue 20 years, but the industry's positioning of videogames as toys in the 80s and 90s did adult uptake and retention no favors. And for someone who's never juggled anything more complex than a d-pad, coordinating twin-stick or mouse+keyboard controls is absolutely daunting.

Back