Games crashing on spinner storage drive

455olds

Gawd
If I install a game on my 2nd storage drive they are instable and crash. The computer will lockup. I can't get out of it with task manager. All I can do is to hold power button and restart. The computer is my X58-Ud5 system in my sig. The storage drive is a old Hitachi 3tb drive and I have a 500gb ssd drive for operating system. Games work ok on the ssd.
Is there a driver or something I can try updating that might solve this? Replace the storage drive with something newer? I believe the storage drive is in good health but it is old.

Try changing your RAM just to rule that out. Bad RAM can cause all sorts of weird problems that seem to be something else.

I downloaded and installed the latest chipset drivers from gigabyte's page for this motherboard. It gave me confirmation that it installed correctly but I can't find chipset in device manager to confirm. I checked all system devices marked intel in screenshot and driver doesn't match the one I attempted to install.
I'm going to order new sata cables and run memtest.

Attachments

• 20230304_192105.jpg
    20230304_192105.jpg
    900 KB · Views: 0
I tried a new hard drive with a different sata cable. Games are still crashing. I ran a pass on memtest and it checked out ok. I probably should have let it run for longer but I needed computer. I'm going to search around on google. Let me know if I can try anything else. I'm not sure if i successfully updated drivers. I can't find chipset in device manager.

Did you try connecting the drive to a different SATA port on the motherboard? It's possible the one you're using is going bad or has gone bad.

Did you try connecting the drive to a different SATA port on the motherboard? It's possible the one you're using is going bad or has gone bad.
Yes, I should have mentioned that. I tried different ports.

get another SSD and try that and see if it also locks up the PC.

This is an odd one. If different ports do the same and you've tried a completely different drive and cable and still have the same issue, I'm not sure where exactly the problem would be. I'm assuming the SSD is also SATA which would mean it's unlikely the SATA controller is bad.

It's possible there's a software problem somewhere such as a corrupt storage driver but that's usually pretty rare and the storage drivers included with Windows are typically fine.

The last thing I can think of is try unplugging the power and data cable from the DVD burner if you haven't already done so. I've seen some really, really weird problems happen with an optical drive has gone bad. I had an old Pioneer slot load DVD ROM that my son broke. It was a physical breakage inside the drive but shouldn't have affected anything. However, I was having some instability and when I rebooted the system wouldn't start and at the time I didn't know the DVD ROM had been broken. I had unplugged the power cable and figured that would be enough to take it out of the equation (IDE drive) but it wasn't so. It wasn't until I had unplugged the IDE cable and the power that the system would turn back on. Your problem is obviously different but there's the slim chance it could be the solution.

If no physical troubleshooting has remedied the issue, it sounds like something is foundamentally broken inside Windows. Whether the storage subsystem has some corruption somewhere or there is a bad driver somehwere. Windows has gotten vastly better since 7 with not needing to re-install every 6 months, but it's still Windows.

Appreciate all the replies. I feel like this happened a while back with a windows update but in not sure. I was working a lot at the time. I think i'm going to buy a 2tb ssd and do a fresh windows 11 install. Is this drive ok? https://www.amazon.com/PNY-CS900-In...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

PNY CS900 2TB 3D NAND 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - (SSD7CS900-2TB-RB) $90 seams like a good price for 2 tb​

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Appreciate all the replies. I feel like this happened a while back with a windows update but in not sure. I was working a lot at the time. I think i'm going to buy a 2tb ssd and do a fresh windows 11 install. Is this drive ok? https://www.amazon.com/PNY-CS900-Internal-Solid-State/dp/B08GB8S6R3/ref=sr_1_7_sspa?crid=1PYO9FWDW2VOX&keywords=2+tb+ssd&qid=1678218444&sprefix=2+tb+ssd,aps,90&sr=8-7-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzREtMNUtJV1VGSks4JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzI2NDE3MVBYTEc1OERVVlcxTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDE1MTc2MUlQM1ZKNEI5VUdLVSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

PNY CS900 2TB 3D NAND 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - (SSD7CS900-2TB-RB) $90 seams like a good price for 2 tb​

I would not buy the PNY drive. Maybe that one is fine, but never really been a fan of their SSD's. Now this one, with a 1,600 TBW is a good deal. You can upgrade to the Elite version for 20 bucks for 10-20/MBs faster in speed but likely not essential. https://www.amazon.com/TEAMGROUP-In...keywords=2TB+SATA&qid=1678223907&s=pc&sr=1-13

Most Desktop SSD's are dogshit on durability, having ratings around 200-300 TBW (the ok ones). It's almost unheard of to see one with a 1,600 TBW durability. I'm likely gonna buy one of these 89 buck drives just to keep on hand.

Last edited:
As for your issues with the old drive. Could be that you don't have any failure on the mag platters of the drive but the drive, mechanically, might be degrading but not enough to outright kick solid errors. Though I would suspect you're getting em in the form of your games crashing consistently. You've likely gotten your return on investment on that old Hitachi something like 4-5x over at this point. Only thing I use spinning disks as these days are for temp storage drives or long term storage in RAID arrays on my server... because they are cheap and easy to replace.

possible data corruption, bad secors on the hd(s). SMART Status? chkdsk?

New
I would not buy the PNY drive. Maybe that one is fine, but never really been a fan of their SSD's. Now this one, with a 1,600 TBW is a good deal. You can upgrade to the Elite version for 20 bucks for 10-20/MBs faster in speed but likely not essential. https://www.amazon.com/TEAMGROUP-In...keywords=2TB+SATA&qid=1678223907&s=pc&sr=1-13

Most Desktop SSD's are dogshit on durability, having ratings around 200-300 TBW (the ok ones). It's almost unheard of to see one with a 1,600 TBW durability. I'm likely gonna buy one of these 89 buck drives just to keep on hand.
Newegg had the 2tb Elite version for $92. I ordered one. I'll see how that goes with fresh windows install. That should be plenty of space for games.

oh, memcheck? Remove any overclock. Just games? DirectX?
No overclock. I ran memcheck but just one pass. Just games. I'm not sure about the direct X question?

I have Microsoft proplus 2021. If I do a fresh install of windows 11 on new hard drive am I going to loose office?

No overclock. I ran memcheck but just one pass. Just games. I'm not sure about the direct X question?

I have Microsoft proplus 2021. If I do a fresh install of windows 11 on new hard drive am I going to loose office?
check directx - dxdiag

check directx - dxdiag
That checked out ok.
I think I can sign into my Microsoft account and reinstall office after installing windows 11 on new hard drive. I'll save the old hard drive just in case.

That checked out ok.
I think I can sign into my Microsoft account and reinstall office after installing windows 11 on new hard drive. I'll save the old hard drive just in case.
Good Luck!

New

Newegg had the 2tb Elite version for $92. I ordered one. I'll see how that goes with fresh windows install. That should be plenty of space for games.
You have a link for that? I generally don't order much from the Egg these days but, that's helluva price on their "high tier" model.

Last edited:
Installed the new hard drive. I did a new windows 11 install and got office reinstalled successfully. Games run fine on the new hard drive. The fresh install didn't solve the games crashing on storage drive issue but I don't' need it anymore.

Back