Games Crashing after adding 2 more gigs

I've been told my problem is running Windows XP Pro x64, but I just upgraded to a total of 4 gigs of ram, up from 2, and it causes games to stutter horribly and quickly lock up my machine. I was able to do everything else alright, from what I could tell, but once I started up TF2 or Counter Strike or something, it would lock up, or shortly go to a black screen and then lock up. I removed the 2 new sticks and the problem went away completely. All 4 sticks are the same, too. Any ideas? I assume the sticks aren't duds since windows was able to recognize the 4 gigs and run fine, and only had problems in games.

I would add 1 stick at a time and run memtest on each stick. If you bought a kit, I've been reading that alot of times 1 stick is good and the other not good.

You will also need some voltage adjustments and row cycle time adjustments for going from 2GB to 4GB

You will also need some voltage adjustments and row cycle time adjustments for going from 2GB to 4GB

How so?

I have 4GB of crucial RAM and I just went from 2GB to 4GB and now my windows install is corrupt. I'm trying to figure out if its bad RAM or bad timings? I am using the timings and voltage that Crucial recommends.

How so?

I have 4GB of crucial RAM and I just went from 2GB to 4GB and now my windows install is corrupt. I'm trying to figure out if its bad RAM or bad timings? I am using the timings and voltage that Crucial recommends.
He's talking about memory controller voltages. As far as timings, some chipsets are needing a tRFC adjustment (increase) with higher density modules.

Yeap as said above, some memory controller voltages (MCH in Intel boards) and some need 52-62 more/less in Row Cycle Time (Refresh to act in intel boards)

Normally when you go from 2 to 4 and you get windows corrupt your windows is fine, just a timing is off.

Just another timing to check as well as I have seen it cause the windows corrupt thing is trd or (Performance level/ Static tRead Value - Not Static tRead Phase adjust) and not sure what it is called in AMD. But make sure it is not 6 or lower

Thanks for the suggestions, anyone got a link that can walk me through what I need to do to adjust the voltage/timing stuff? I've never needed to do anything like this before so I want to be careful to get it right.

I would look thru the AMD section sticky's, if there is any? I dont know havent looked in there, but there should be some surely. If not make a thread or search for your board in there and surely you should find some pointers.

Wish I could offer more suggestions, but I know jack about AMD. And often point people who ask me to this forums AMD section

Don't mean to sound biased but he said it all when he said the name Crucial in the same sentence as memory. I've had way too many
crucial sticks die on me from DDR500 - DDR21066. They suck. I will never buy crucial again.

Back