Games crash at splash screen with 8120.

more than just water, 120x4 radiator AND a 120x3 radiator and a good pump. in games i wouldnt even hit 48c

Yea, then in the fine print you'll realize that overclocking voids the warranty, results may vary, etc..

As far as being able to throttle or shut down before they die..... That's just wishful thinking. The best they can do is shut down/throttle based on heat. If your CPU isn't overheating, there's not voodoo magic that can determine that a transistor inside the chip is about to not switch fast enough.

and statikregimen... was no where near 1.5v. i was at around 1.4 ...... 1.5 volts is way too high for 24/7 to be safe. this cpu defective from day 1 im sure... from day 1 prime 95 made a funny noise that i thought was my power supply, it was a clicking noise. must have been the cpu. even without any voltage increase in prime95 it did it. my phenom ii is working fine in my computer right now

wow, its obvious its a bad chip, and your still going on about it ?Im overclocker. Your a noob defending amd because you got a good chip, unlike the rest who are mad that they got defective chips. Get real man. AMD sent out some bad chips this run. Its obvious, and if you wasted 200+ dollars on a bad chip, youd be real about it too. You obviously dont know much about computers. I only came on here to add to the conversation about the bad chips that amd sent out. I dont even care if i get banned over this im speaking the truth, goto a thread you belong in please. If you dont have a bad 8120 chip, you shouldnt even bother.

1.5v is perfectly safe for these chips....I wouldn't go much above, that though. I've found they require a little extra voltage than you might expect, if your mobo doesn't have any vdroop compensation (like load line calibration, as is the case with mine). These chips don't seem to behave the same as any CPU i've overclocked before. Try using y-cruncher stress test...I found it to cause errors that prime95 didn't, and therefore, realized that 4.6 and 4.7ghz was going to be a no-go.

wow, its obvious its a bad chip, and your still going on about it ?Im overclocker. Your a noob defending amd because you got a good chip, unlike the rest who are mad that they got defective chips. Get real man. AMD sent out some bad chips this run. Its obvious, and if you wasted 200+ dollars on a bad chip, youd be real about it too. You obviously dont know much about computers. I only came on here to add to the conversation about the bad chips that amd sent out. I dont even care if i get banned over this im speaking the truth, goto a thread you belong in please. If you dont have a bad 8120 chip, you shouldnt even bother.

this is @me? Wow...Idk what I said to set you off, but I'm just trying to offer up insight (based on over 15 years' overclocking experience, I might add, so if anybody is a noob, it certainly isn't me)....Sorry I bothered, anyway. Enjoy the CPU you probably fried your own damn self.

Well for the Asus Sabertooth 990FX everything is fine. Nobody with the MSI motherboard has chimed in yet besides you. Drop the BD in there and see if MSI has released a new bios for it.

I checked last night, and MSI does have a new BIOS up... It's just a huge PITA to swap my CPU again (with the risk I may have to turn right around and switch back)... However, for the sake of helping the BD community, I'll try to bump it up on my priority list, then hopefully we can add another fixed mobo :D

sorry you did set me off, because you were acting like i fried it, and from the horses mouth you said over 1.5 volts they can sustain, like i said i DID NOT put it over 1.4volts even. if anything 1.42 volts max ive ever put into it. And from day 1 it made a strange noise. Thats what set me off, you were making like its my fault. And im sorry if we got off on the wrong foot, but that made me angry because i spent good money on a bad cpu. You just seem to be defending amd's defective batch of chips, so yeah, that made me upset. So I will say sorry, long as you can say sorry and understand where im coming from, maybe i wasnt clear the first time around.

I also assume since i had a defective chip, it allowed me to goto high frequencys on very low voltage because one core wasnt working properly from day 1. From day 1 i had problems in certain games like i described in my first post.

I checked last night, and MSI does have a new BIOS up... It's just a huge PITA to swap my CPU again (with the risk I may have to turn right around and switch back)... However, for the sake of helping the BD community, I'll try to bump it up on my priority list, then hopefully we can add another fixed mobo :D

With any luck its fixed and you can keep the CPU in the machine.

I also assume since i had a defective chip, it allowed me to goto high frequencys on very low voltage because one core wasnt working properly from day 1. From day 1 i had problems in certain games like i described in my first post.

I am wondering if you have set yours a 4.7GHz, and not turned off APM, which will actually downclock the chip the moment it is under load as you are above the TDP of the chip. I can run my chip at 4.5GHz+ at 1.3v if I don't turn off APM, because it never actually stays at 4.5GHz under load. If you don't have it turned off, fix it, then you will probably find that you need to increase your core voltage and or back down your clock speeds.

If it doesn't work at stock clocks I would say that it is defective, overclocked speeds are your own problem. I have a FX-8150 and I can't pass stress tests above 4.4GHz on all cores without going above 1.41v.

sorry you did set me off, because you were acting like i fried it, and from the horses mouth you said over 1.5 volts they can sustain, like i said i DID NOT put it over 1.4volts even. if anything 1.42 volts max ive ever put into it. And from day 1 it made a strange noise. Thats what set me off, you were making like its my fault. And im sorry if we got off on the wrong foot, but that made me angry because i spent good money on a bad cpu. You just seem to be defending amd's defective batch of chips, so yeah, that made me upset. So I will say sorry, long as you can say sorry and understand where im coming from, maybe i wasnt clear the first time around.

I meant absolutely no offense... I was just giving ideas based on my own experience w/ the chip, and based on what info you gave. Most definitely not trying to insult your intelligence/experience/abilities/etc in anyway. I do feel that 4.7ghz is a bit much to ask out of an 8120, though - at least with so little voltage...Some are able to hit it, but like I said: things get really hairy on my chip past 4.5ghz no matter what i do, even though I hear others pulling 4.8ghz+, while others still can't even hit the 4.5 I can. So that's all I was saying... It's not completely impossible that you pushed it a bit too far - i've noticed they don't error out consistently. Mine seemed perfectly fine at 4.7ghz until I threw some other stress tests at it; then it started showing problems. Backing off fixed the issue. These chips definitely are different beasts, when it comes to overclocking! If it were me, I'd try bumping the voltage up or drop the OC back a bit, in hopes maybe the problem is similar to mine, where there's just a brick wall around 4.6ghz =/

Alternatively, maybe you do have a bad chip.... It happens, however rare. Just don't tell AMD about the OC ;)

no, its not just overclocked man.... stock voltage/ stock clock/ stock everything, i noticed the games still didnt work right .... thats when i realised, prime95 wouldnt pass on stock voltage either. Ive found actually numerous people with fx-8120's having the same problem at stock voltage. there was a bad batch of these cpu's sent out it seems, and i happened to get one. thats the only logical thing i can come up with :(

So return it then. Bad chips can get out I guess. Even when they go through heavy testing before shippping to bin them. I had a bad Intel core 2 before. I dicked with it for 2 weeks and took it in and out several times as well as reformatting and such. Returned it for another and all my problems stopped.

@Statikregimen. Can't wait to hear how the MSI board turns out. This bios thing has completely scared me away from the 7970 video cards. I couldn't possibly stand another headache from AMD right now.

@Colepinter. My chip doesn't like speeds above 4.4ghz. 4.2ghz is 1.2v or so. 4.4ghz is 1.425v. If I want to venture to 4.5 it requires 1.5v+ When I get to 1.6v the chip becomes ultra stable again, but my H80 can't remove the heat fast enough.

To be honest I didn't see anything remarkable about going from 4.2ghz to 4.4ghz. So I just settled on 4.2ghz and run it at stock voltage. My late father always told me it's not how fast you run; but how long you can run. Very sage advice in your case indeed!

no, its not just overclocked man.... stock voltage/ stock clock/ stock everything, i noticed the games still didnt work right .... thats when i realised, prime95 wouldnt pass on stock voltage either. Ive found actually numerous people with fx-8120's having the same problem at stock voltage. there was a bad batch of these cpu's sent out it seems, and i happened to get one. thats the only logical thing i can come up with :(

Ah... I didn't realize you were having problems at stock clocks/voltages, too... If you mentioned it, my apologies for overlooking it.... Def. sounds like a bad core then. Good luck with your situation then. What an epic bummer BD has turned out to be to so many people, in so many different ways. AMD srsly should recall these and try again =/

yeah, i have a hope that they may send me a 8150 this time, i hear they are binning alot of 8120's that should have been 6 core or 4 core cpus since they failed to go as 8150. i think i was able to overclock so high with such a low voltage because one core was not drawing much power since it was defective its the only sense i can make of it, because it would pass prime95 for sometimes 1 minute, sometimes 30 minutes when overclocked, but i couldnt get my FSB up as high, northbridge had to virtually stay at stock, even my ram couldnt overclock as high as with phenom ii, i finall decided to give prime95 test at stock voltages, and it failed but it took a few hours, at stock voltage/clock i could hear a grinding/tapping/mechnical noise coming from the cpu for two weeks since i got it i kept thinking my power supply was about to die, well.. turns out the entire time it was a bad core on my cpu, it also seemed every day my performance dropped in games and stuff, the final day i had it in, i would run cinebench, 7 threads would go fast in cinebench, and one box would take the entire time until all others finished to fill in, its almost like one core would hang the entire time, on stock voltage / clock even. ive read a post on this forum that someone had TWO DEFECTIVE 8120's in a row. TWO.. im praying that my second chip will not be doing this to me, and hopefully they will send me a 8150 - i think that if they do not take care of me on this and send me a higher quality, maybe even 8150, i will be building intel computers for now on, and i build and repair systems for people for a side job, i ALWAYS tell people amd is the best bang for the buck and have the most solid hardware... i build alot of amd rigs, and suggest it to everyone... if they do not take care of me on this one - i will be going intel and building intel for everyone.. this is coming from a long time hardcore "amd fanboi" as the intel people like to say...... ive also read a horror story about being treated rudely by the AMD custom service people. We will see.. . . .. .

wow, figured id try one more time since the RMA wasnt going to be from nearly 2 weeks from now, works this time after i popped the cpu in again.. ill hold off for now but im still iffy on this cpu, it still makes a funny noise during prime95. max cpu temp 51c max core temp 45c on prime95 at 4.6ghz right now, 300mhz fsb, its running fine. thinking about bumping it back up to 4.7ghz, not sure if that one tiny bit makes that much of a difference :-p cpu vcore in cpuz says 1.44v but in bios it shows lower than that. with this voltage i can get 4.7ghz, everyone is saying they need 1.5v to get there ???? mines stable like this...

Well if you're running one core down then yes you can hit 4.7 pretty easy. Heck disable all but 2 cores and with enough cooling you should be shooting for 9Ghz.

wow, figured id try one more time since the RMA wasnt going to be from nearly 2 weeks from now, works this time after i popped the cpu in again.. ill hold off for now but im still iffy on this cpu, it still makes a funny noise during prime95. max cpu temp 51c max core temp 45c on prime95 at 4.6ghz right now, 300mhz fsb, its running fine. thinking about bumping it back up to 4.7ghz, not sure if that one tiny bit makes that much of a difference :-p cpu vcore in cpuz says 1.44v but in bios it shows lower than that. with this voltage i can get 4.7ghz, everyone is saying they need 1.5v to get there ???? mines stable like this...

Each cpu is different and each motherboard is different as well.

Most bulldozer Motherboards have Some Vdrop, concerning the Vcore voltage. Alot of people are setting the voltage to 1.5 volts but may only get 1.4 volts at full load. The load line calibration is supposed to fix this, however VERY FEW FX boards currently have this available. Far as i know only the gigabyte revision 1.1 990FXA ud7 has this feature confirmed.

Bulldozer is relatively easy to get to 4.6 ghz. Getting much beyond 4.6 ghz is when you have a good chip, good cooling and or well both. My chip will go to 5ghz, but is not fully stable at this speed under 100% load, (will drop a core under prime 95) It will run games and such just fine at this speed, but any program that goes to 100% cpu use will likely result in the 8th core dropping out.

As cageymaru said, the fewer cores you have the more headroom you have. This is likely due to limitations in how much amperage the cpu socket can provide. We all know Bulldozer starts to get power hungry once overvolted and overclocked.

Man, idk what it is with the noise you're hearing, though...That's what concerns me the most. In my experience, if a CPU makes a noise, that is usually the last thing it ever does. I've heard power circuitry whine and click, but never CPUs....

As far as voltage, if you have LLC on your motherboard, then it's not inconceivable that you can get away with much lower voltage than someone without. I'd be able to back mine off to about 1.43v or so, if it weren't for lack of LLC.

Most bulldozer Motherboards have Some Vdrop, concerning the Vcore voltage. Alot of people are setting the voltage to 1.5 volts but may only get 1.4 volts at full load. The load line calibration is supposed to fix this, however VERY FEW FX boards currently have this available. Far as i know only the gigabyte revision 1.1 990FXA ud7 has this feature confirmed.

CHV also has it for sure

I cant pinpoint the noise, i thought it was cpu but now im thinking its the chipset on my motherboard, because a core would stop working on my phenom ii 965be when i put it in, and now its doing the same thing for bulldozer!!! it only happens after i play a game for about a half hour !!! then i can goto cinebench, and one core will hang the entire time until the end of the test!! happened on both chips ! WTF. not ram, i tested ram its fine.... what do you guys think i should do ? im about to re-install windows JUST TO MAKE SURE its not something .. jsut did that a few days ago .. one last try before i start RMA'ing this board, its gatta be the board

Yea, definitely your board, if both CPUs are suddenly showing issues... That really blows, man :( Not sure how to really troubleshoot that, unless you have another one available or maybe friends/family have one you could use to test? Good luck, anyway...Let us know what you find out!

well i checked every single tiny thing to the T, and its gatta be the board.... the thing is - the board was FINE until i installed the bulldozer... ive heard people having all sorts of troubles with putting bulldozers on this board... i should have never bought a bulldozer and saved my board... not enough of a performance gain to sacrifice my board.

What board do you have again? If its a 900-series chipset, I'm pretty sure they all have 8+2 phase power designs, which should be more than enough... And, while not the _ONLY_ thing that can go wrong by using such a high power-demanding chip (125W stock), it's the main thing that does go wrong. It would explain the noises you hear - possibly a mosfet or cap failing, thus not delivering enough (or clean enough) power to the CPU. In my experience, most likely the board had a flawed component to begin with, and adding a 125W CPU + all the extra wattage of the OC caused it to show its ugly face. Not your fault by any means, but that is my hypothesis as to what might be happening. Just RMA the board - its extremely unlikely it will happen again.

baked my motherboard, all is fine now, its a crosshair iv using beta bios for bulldozer, 300mhz fsb at 4.5ghz is stable, going for 320mhz fsb and 4.65 ghz today, still makes alittle noise but its working now ever since i baked the board, im sure this doesnt use as much voltage as my 140w phenom ii at 1.58w which i used 24/7 before this chip!!! so.. i doubt its having a hard time pumping only 1.4w into my new bulldozer.... im only using a offset voltage of .125 to test stability of 4.65 ghz, at 4.5ghz i only needed like .11 or .10 i dont remember, i might have to settle for 300mhz fsb and 4.5ghz... it seems i cant overclock my ram as good as i did before with bulldozer, also my northbridge doesnt go nearly as high with my phenom, my phenom i had it stable at 3000mhz at one point, i can only get to 2700mhz with the bulldozer, and it seems that 2400mhz performs only slightly slower (ram transfers data at only a few hundred mb a second less at 2400mhz so im keeping it there)

I updated my BIOS to F8D, but I was just wondering if Total War: Shogun 2 or Warhammer 40k: Dawn of wars work. I would try if I could, but I had to reformat my computer plus I do not want to download it again if i find out it doesn't work because it would just be a waste of bandwidth and i have a limit on how much I could use...

Last edited:
F8D ???? 3027 i believe is the new bios for that board ??? were you asking me ???
I dont have any of those games, i will tell you my friend makes me play that game dungeon defenders, thats the only game i got a BSOD on, but from what i read its the ATI drivers that do it. All my other games work perfect, COD, l4d2, metro 2033, lost planet 2, binding of isaac, everything, ran prime95 for 3 hours with no errors, and my cpu temp didnt go past 55c, and core temp didnt go past like 47c i think it was, 1600mhz ddr3 7-8-7-19, northbridge 2400mhz, ht link 2400mhz, cpu 4.65ghz, solid as a rock. We have different boards yawn, i DO HEAR that FX8120 has problems with total war shogun 2, i hear alot of people getting BSOD with that game, its the chip i think it needs a patch through windows to fix that or the games need a patch it has nothing to do with your bios, id look into it on a gaming forum like steam forum to see if there is a fix that anyone came up with, thats the problem im tellin ya.... OH , and Dues Ex 2 i think had a problem if i even spelled that correctly, other people having BSOD on that game too with FX8120

Oh, I don't know, but miraculously the BIOS update fixed the problem for DotA 2, and I was just wondering if those games worked from updating. Thanks!

i just popped in my audigy 2 sound card which worked fine with my phenom, causing all sorts of crashes with my setup with the fx8120 now... LOL.... they need to fix our bios!!!

Wait, how do you tell which bios version it is? Apparently on the site it says F8D, but where does it say 3027? I'm still kind of new to this "BIOS" stuff, but yeah, I wouldn't mind learning more stuff about it.

The problem with certain SteamWorks games was a bios thing. From what I am told Gigabyte fixed their bios long ago to rectify the problem with games like TW:Shogun 2. I don't own a Gigabyte motherboard so I can only assume that you should use the last bios that was released by Gigabyte to ensure compatibility.

Colepinter obviously has a bad motherboard thus his problems are completely different from the SteamWorks issues.

Yeah, I'm using the latest BIOS version released by Gigabyte, but I think I'll be downloading TW: Shogun 2 when I have bandwidth reset. I have tried playing Saints Row 3, but all I get is 1 - 5 fps, and before I updated my bios I get a BSOD. What gives?

Skim the original post in this thread. When you get to the quote from [H] user blppt, go to the link and read the thread to see what you need to do to fix it.
I believe he links to a fixed bios that should rectify the situation without running the CEG program every time you start your PC up. I was under the impression that Gigabyte had fixed their bios, but this should work for you if they didn't.

Let me know if works for you. :)

Yeah after I installed the new bios, I was able to play the game, but then I get 1-5 fps.

On my FX990 board they released a F6f beta that doesn't have the fix applied. You might want to check that the BIOS you loaded lists the updated AGESA code as a feature.

Back