Games crash at splash screen with 8120.

I am so incredibly sad by this. I really wanted to use a BD in a build for someone so I could play with it and OC it, but I can't justify it if it's BROKEN.

C'mon AMD or BIOS writers, why? I hope this gets fixed soon so I have a chance to play with one of these!

Well, it's a BIOS problem - that much we can say with extreme confidence, so it will eventually be fixed... If your normal rig is really the one in your signature, then it really doesn't matter if it can't do everything right away :p Buy it as a fun side project, because that's all it will ever be anyway - its not going to be an upgrade of any kind, or really justifiable for any other purpose that I can think of....

Also, get an 8120 - they seem to be OCing extremely well (most just as good as the 8150) and save you some money...

The issue has been fixed by AMD already, Gigabyte has a beta BIOS for their 990FX boards that I have been running for a week and a half and the issues are resolved.

My 990FXA-UD3 works with all the games I own that don't work for others with the F6e BIOS which has the AGESA 1.1.0.2 update. I was unable to run Portal 2, Serious Sam 3, and a couple other games before, that issue is gone now.

Don't complain that it isn't fixed, complain that your motherboard manufacturer hasn't provided the fix for you yet.

If you have a game besides Deus Ex that has stuttering problems I can check to see if I own it and if I can replicate that issue, I haven't seen it on the games that I have played so far.

The issue has been fixed by AMD already, Gigabyte has a beta BIOS for their 990FX boards that I have been running for a week and a half and the issues are resolved.

My 990FXA-UD3 works with all the games I own that don't work for others with the F6e BIOS which has the AGESA 1.1.0.2 update. I was unable to run Portal 2, Serious Sam 3, and a couple other games before, that issue is gone now.

Don't complain that it isn't fixed, complain that your motherboard manufacturer hasn't provided the fix for you yet.

If you have a game besides Deus Ex that has stuttering problems I can check to see if I own it and if I can replicate that issue, I haven't seen it on the games that I have played so far.

It doesn't matter who's fault it is or who fixes it - we're all just trying to figure out what to do, and provide some moral support/comic relief to one another, in the mean time. The fact that this chip has been in development for over 4 years, and then is released in this pisspoor state (and I am referring to both the subpar performance, as well as these gaming issues), is unacceptable, in my opinion, and why I choose to blame AMD for the whole mess, top to bottom.

I'm happy for you, that your mobo is working great... It's good news that maybe this whole thing will be water under the bridge very soon. MSI is definitely among those who are not on the ball, though :(

I actually decided against an i5-2500k build since the fx-8150 option was slightly cheaper and better in some heavily threaded situations. I had a malfunctioning Intel machine that went bad at the time of the FX launch so that sealed the deal for the AMD machine. It sucked hard when I had the same problem, a brand new build, no other processor to fall back on, and I crashed hard when I opened some games. Not a fun experience, and I cannot abide a non-working computer, so waiting for a BIOS update was agonizing.

I will readily admit that AMD is at fault for this issue, and it shouldn't have happened. The good news is that AMD appears to have fixed the issue; the bad news is that you now get to find out how slow your motherboard manufacturer is at pushing out much needed BIOS updates.

I know that this won't provide any consolation if your system doesn't work fully, but at least it is a glimmer of hope. With some luck, your motherboard manufacturer will get on the ball and provide an update or at least a timeline if contacted. With even more luck, there might be updated/beta BIOS downloads from other motherboard manufacturers shortly.
It can't be long now though, since Gigabyte delivered a fixed BIOS for all their 900 series motherboards almost two weeks ago.

I really do hope that the rest of you get a fixed BIOS soon, nobody should have this problem, especially for this long a time period. Good luck.

This probably wouldn't have happened if AMD didn't try to make BD's socket compatible with the older AMD stuff.

Here's the exact procedure for using the temporary fix (repost)

Update:

For those who are following and have the same problems as me:

This guy somehow managed to mod the BIOS AND fix the performance issues:

I dont know who he is, but right now, he is quite simply GOD, LOL

FIRST, you need to install this *modified* version of the 0813 BIOS on post 35 of this page (solves the crashing BSOD problem):

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...G-games-causing-BSOD-on-Bulldozer-issue/page2

Direct link:

http://www.multiupload.com/DP86G5312L

THEN, you need to download and run the file at post 56 (fixes the 5 fps problem):

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...G-games-causing-BSOD-on-Bulldozer-issue/page3

Direct link:

http://www.multiupload.com/FN0DQPG8BU

(run the Orechi-CEG program, not the other executable)

Limited testing, but so far, works perfectly. I'd thank him, but you apparently need to PAY to register with that forum.

NOTE: you will need to run that at every boot. I rarely reboot, so it doesnt bother me, so if you dont want to be bothered with that, or are iffy about using 3rd party mods with something as critical as a BIOS, just wait for the forthcoming official BIOS from ASUS.

Installed modified 813 bios and ranned the CEG program - it works for Serious Sam III and Deus Ex. Bioshock 2 still crashes and now I am thinking it is not an Bulldozer issue since game originally worked but when updated started to crash. Think I will copy the directory and install it on another machine to see if it runs. I am at stock or default bios settings and what a slug it becomes. With tweaked settings and OC Bulldozer runs relatively good but not at stock settings.

I have Bioshock 2 also. I'll install it and see what it does. I do think it uses GWFL DRM instead of Steam CEG DRM.

So many capital letters...

Well I played most of the prologue without any issues. I forgot I even owned the game as it was a spontaneous purchase from a sale. Thx for giving me something to do!

:)

I have Bioshock 2 also. I'll install it and see what it does. I do think it uses GWFL DRM instead of Steam CEG DRM.

So many capital letters...

Yeah something messed up when it was updating Live I think. Still finishing up Serious Sam III :).

Thats why i have not been with AMD since they lost the benchmark battle with intel core 2 duo

hmmm been about 5-6 years now

Well that's cool that they got another motherboard up and running. Still waiting on an official fix for for my 990FX, but glad to know that you got your's fixed!

:)

Same here, come on ASUS a little tree gift please. :cool:

What frame rate are you'll getting with Skyrim using the new Bulldozer processors? My game feels sluggish so I'm going to check the fps with FRAPS tonight.

22fps in Riverwood @1680x1050. Nvidia 460's in SLI. Is that acceptable for this title? I just stay angry looking at it run like a slug. Zero enjoyment at these frames as it plays like a View Master if anyone is old enough to know what that is.

*Update*
Nephew decided to turn on SLI Supersampling in the Nvidia control panel. Got to love people effing with your stuff! Now to tweak it again from scratch.

Last edited:
^hehe

Yeah, high levels of AA on a 1Gb card probably isn't a good approach with Skyrim.

It runs fine on the HD 6870 in my AMD rig as long as I stick to 4xAA|16xAF @ 1920x1200.

I just tap the ultra preset then reduce the AA to 4x and game.

Yes, I got it running pretty good now. I turned on more stuff and performance is in the high 40's and dips to 35. I really want a new video card, but I'm trying my best to wait on the new lineup to come out first since I held off this long.

Thx for the tip on the 4X AA. I didn't even notice that Ultra defaulted to that setting.

A lil birdy told me that the NDA about some kind of AMD graphics card launch will be lifted on Jan. 9th.

I actually read about it on TechPowerUp, but it could just be nothing but a rumor (not that it isn't at this moment).

Does it also fix performance issues in Deus Ex? I held off on purchasing the game since it didn't work properly at the time.

Does it also fix performance issues in Deus Ex? I held off on purchasing the game since it didn't work properly at the time.

Deus Ex is 62 - 78 fps standing in Jensen's office and looking at various angles. If I look down at the Help Desk in the center of the building with the most lighting effects in the area, it bottoms out at 62 fps. That's at 1680x1050 with everything maxxed out.

Saint's Row the Third is 60 fps with a minimum of 35 fps with every option maxxed out.

Total War Shogun 2 720p balance benchmark average is 117 fps. It maxxed out at 150fps and the minimum was 82 fps.

I'll add more to this list if you want.

Last edited:
901 downloaded from ASUS works well. I hope this is the end of this saga for now. I notice the ROG boards have bios 1003 available so we may have another bios down the road as well.

Gigabyte F6f BETA reintroduced the problem, F6e still works perfectly. Hopefully the rest of you are fixed by now.

I wonder about the MSI motherboard owners. Did they get a working bios also?

Has this situation progressed any, or should I remain happy that I bought Intel, and put my 1100t back in my AMD rig? lol...

Well for the Asus Sabertooth 990FX everything is fine. Nobody with the MSI motherboard has chimed in yet besides you. Drop the BD in there and see if MSI has released a new bios for it.

well, i have a FX-8120 with a bad core too. i hardly hit 1.4 on the vcore voltage, 4.7ghz couldnt get it past that or else i got hardware errors, it was rock stable at that, running two large radiators, i never went over 54c on the core temps on prime95, everything was fine and dandy, until all of a sudden certain games werent even playable so i checked out prime95, sure enough hardware failure on my overclock that WAS stable, only a few days after owning the chip. Needless to say, it took a while for prime95 to show that the core failed i had to run the test for a while. And it was the first time i played a source engine game since i had the cpu. Im assuming the cpu was bad from the start. I had my phenom ii overclocked at 1.58 volts for almost 3 years now on this liquid cooling, and it gets hotter its a 140w , and NEVER had a problem, i completely agree that they are binning junk chips as fx-8120. I am requesting when i RMA this cpu that they send me a higher quality chip, or i am going to start buying intel cpus, i have been a fan of amd since my first amd chip a AM386 and i never had a problem until bulldozer came along. I hope they quickly get me my new chip i cant expect much since the holidays are here. But they better not send me another defective one, otherwise im RMA'ing it one last time, getting the brand new chip, selling my mobo and bulldozer cpu, and buying intel. I really hate to abandon AMD after being with them for so long, but I will if I have to.... AMD better bring their quality control standards a bit higher.

well, i have a FX-8120 with a bad core too. i hardly hit 1.4 on the vcore voltage, 4.7ghz couldnt get it past that or else i got hardware errors, it was rock stable at that, running two large radiators, i never went over 54c on the core temps on prime95, everything was fine and dandy, until all of a sudden certain games werent even playable so i checked out prime95, sure enough hardware failure on my overclock that WAS stable, only a few days after owning the chip. Needless to say, it took a while for prime95 to show that the core failed i had to run the test for a while. And it was the first time i played a source engine game since i had the cpu. Im assuming the cpu was bad from the start. I had my phenom ii overclocked at 1.58 volts for almost 3 years now on this liquid cooling, and it gets hotter its a 140w , and NEVER had a problem, i completely agree that they are binning junk chips as fx-8120. I am requesting when i RMA this cpu that they send me a higher quality chip, or i am going to start buying intel cpus, i have been a fan of amd since my first amd chip a AM386 and i never had a problem until bulldozer came along. I hope they quickly get me my new chip i cant expect much since the holidays are here. But they better not send me another defective one, otherwise im RMA'ing it one last time, getting the brand new chip, selling my mobo and bulldozer cpu, and buying intel. I really hate to abandon AMD after being with them for so long, but I will if I have to.... AMD better bring their quality control standards a bit higher.

Wow you bought a chip, ran it out of spec, and a core dies. then you ask them to send you one that is more overclockable? LOL

4.7ghz is awefully high for an 8120. I am not able to achieve even 4.6 w/o massive voltage increases. Overclocking isn't a free upgrade - it's hit and miss. If you had an am386, certainly you have enough experience to understand that, by now. You were probably pushing the chip waay to hard and caused damage that way. Even if that is NOT the case, most certainly that is what AMD is going to tell you. IMO, 4.5-4.7ghz is going to be the max clock - less in some cases. I'm only able to get 4.5ghz out of mine 100% 24/7 stable @ 1.5v (iirc about the voltage).

Wow you bought a chip, ran it out of spec, and a core dies. then you ask them to send you one that is more overclockable? LOL

All modern cpu's should throttle back or shutdown before they die....with water and not over 55C or voltage spec then yes it seems it is a bad chip. I agree it's a sticky situation but AMD did say it's the worlds best Oc'er and marketed it as such....

We all know the score with Bulldozer's so it doesn't seem such an odd request knowing the situation and yield problems.

Back