Games and to cheat or not to cheat... or is it even an option?

Grimlaking

2[H]4U
Ok I was curious about something so thought I would post a thread here and see what people thought.

In the world of console gaming there are few cheats. At least generally fewer than are on the world of pc gaming with trainers and whatnot.

Do you think on a console game it ruins the experience more to cheat at the game?

I generally don't have a problem with cheating in games like GTA or what have you. Just with racing games. For some reason cheating in a racing game really gets me.

Any specific genre you can't stand cheating in.

I dont care for cheating period. If I am in a puzzle and i feel i have exhausted every possible solution, i will, with great trepidation, look for a walkthru only for that part. Of course once i find the solution I will realize how much of an idiot I am. But thats the extent of any "cheating" i will do in a game.

I dont care for cheating period. If I am in a puzzle and i feel i have exhausted every possible solution, i will, with great trepidation, look for a walkthru only for that part. Of course once i find the solution I will realize how much of an idiot I am. But thats the extent of any "cheating" i will do in a game.

^^ Sound like you're talking more about SP vs. MP games. E.g. I get stuck in LoZ:TP, looking at a walk-through is only "cheating" yourself. OTOH, using aimbots/trainers in a MP FPS, that's cheating.

It depends on how you define cheat.
Some say looking for a guide on how to find X thing is cheating, while others would say punching in a code is consider cheating while help guides are not.

I feel cheats are there for different people. Those who have little time and just want to play the game with all the features like those who spend hours unlocking all of it. Also for those who have tried every angle, measure, work-around there is to get something with no solution.

I try never to cheat as much as possible, last time I remember using a cheat was, Super Mario for the N64 (could not get the last start).

Nothing satisfying about cheating, though I'll bet that everyone has tried the unlimited ammo cheats in GTA :)

I think that the prevention of cheating is good so far this gen, especially since several 360 titles automatically disable achievements when cheats are enabled. I wonder if the same will be said for the PS3 once their "entitlements" [sound familiar?] system rolls out.

deceptioon``

I don't find walkthroughs and the likes to be cheating since they really do only help marginally, especially with some in-depth games.

I don't use cheat codes or things like that at all though.

well yeah, any game enhancement in a multiplayer is def cheating. sometimes cheats are fun in single player games. if you are finding a level to be a real pita, its a nice stress reliever to give yourself the big guns and lay down some hurt for awhile

I like "cheats" in games like GTA, Saint's Row, etc.
Just because I like to cause maximum destruction with minimal effort.

After i've beaten it (or gotten bored) first tho.

Other games, not so much... and definitely HATE cheating in MP games.
Not just cheating, but... the cheesy strategies some people use in online games.

For me a cheat tha ruined the game.. because I CHOSE to use it... was for forza motorsport. The build the motor out then sell it for more than you spent cheat.

That one really... just ruined the game for me.

After I've finished a game once and want to see everything I'll use cheats. Never use them until I've completed it once though - what's the point of even buying the game if you do that?

I'd never cheat or use any bugs to my advantage in multiplayer. Rarely do I cheat in single player, but I just did in GRAW because when you beat the game on hard, you don't unlock the normal achievements as well. bullshit if you ask me...

I only consider cheating when you have an unfair advantage, like adding stats or codes that give you things you really shouldn't have.

Guides are ok by me, but I guess I know why people would consider it cheating. Personally I don't cheat til I atleast have beaten the game atleast once. Excluding guides... cuz I don't like using up too much time and annoying myself. But thats just me...

After I've finished a game once and want to see everything I'll use cheats. Never use them until I've completed it once though - what's the point of even buying the game if you do that?

That's kinda my view. I'll use walkthroughs if I really get stuck on something, though. To the point where I'm saying to myself "I'm going to stop playing this if I can't get past this point".

I never, ever, EVER cheat in multiplayer. I won't even use exploits. I think anyone who does is a piece of shit. If you can't win against another live player straight-up, play offline. You're pathetic.

Back