Games always updated wasting bandwidth data cap

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Ok I decided to Install a bunch of games I never have time to play in the first place.
Like Black Desert Online....

Which decides to update every time I start Steam because you know these game changes are for the good of the game.
So I uninstalled it because it's a game I want to play but the Auto Updating or patching is driving me nuts.

So I opened up Uplay Connect and low and behold Rainbow Six Seige has like a 54 gig patch which takes me a whole day.
I'm fine I like the game I'll update it. Then I see Watchdogs Legion has a patch right behind it. 14 GB

Developers need to know not everyone has unlimited bandwith 1TB a month and time to download path after patch I know it's a job as a service they bring to the table. I'm thinking they thing their game resides on an Altar of Grand scale but really it's just mind numbing if you have 6 games on Steam that need to be updated then maybe 2-3 games on other launchers.

The worst offender is Call of Duty AW last year holy hell did that game have updates.

You know what game I really admire for file size Valheim even though I don't own it currently.

Either delete those games, or turn off the option to "Always keep this game up to date" in the game's properties within Steam (Ubisoft Connect and others have similar options). With the latter option disabled Steam will only update the game the next time you go to start it. So when you actually want to play the game it will get updated at that time.

Other than that, there are programs you can download to limit how much bandwidth applications are allowed to use. You can also set a universal cap in either your router or Windows itself.

The turn off option will keep the game highlighted in Steam so it's a no trade off kinda thing.

You can do that but the damn game is highlighted it's like hey I know you have Auto Updates disabled but we'll highlight the game still.
Why you care a game is highlighted (maybe this is some running joke I am missing) ? If you shut down auto-update you (by default) would want to know if an update is available and decide to update it manually or not.

You can do that but the damn game is highlighted it's like hey I know you have Auto Updates disabled but we'll highlight the game still.
Seems like a weird annoyance to cry about when the issue you originally posted is actually a serious one.

Hmm...
1616100214988.png

1616100281855.png

When I lived in Alaska, Destiny 2 updated so much to the point I couldn't play it...ever. The internet speeds were slow and it would take days to install the game itself, then to have 20gb+ updates would basically kill any chance I had of playing the damn thing. So, I uninstalled it. Not that I am actually missing anything, but I was still kinda on the Destiny train at that point.

So, I get the complaint on updates. I do think people tend to forget that not everyone has the best internet connections or service available. They tend to apply their experience onto others as though it's universal. Also, updates can also kill the pacing on which one can actually play. Say, you only get two hours a day or even less. A big ass update comes out that takes like 40+ min to download and install, locking you out of playing said game for the day. Def could see that as annoying. Granted, I don't tend to play MP games, so avoiding an update for the moment isn't a game night killer, but it def can be if it's MP and locks you out until you do.

My suggestion? Go retro.

Starlink will be here soon enough and your potato internet woes should be resolved.

When I lived in Alaska, Destiny 2 updated so much to the point I couldn't play it...ever. The internet speeds were slow and it would take days to install the game itself, then to have 20gb+ updates would basically kill any chance I had of playing the damn thing. So, I uninstalled it. Not that I am actually missing anything, but I was still kinda on the Destiny train at that point.

So, I get the complaint on updates. I do think people tend to forget that not everyone has the best internet connections or service available. They tend to apply their experience onto others as though it's universal. Also, updates can also kill the pacing on which one can actually play. Say, you only get two hours a day or even less. A big ass update comes out that takes like 40+ min to download and install, locking you out of playing said game for the day. Def could see that as annoying. Granted, I don't tend to play MP games, so avoiding an update for the moment isn't a game night killer, but it def can be if it's MP and locks you out until you do.

My suggestion? Go retro.
Well I just mine on the side, making more money than cost of electricity and component costs while all my games update in the background. Do see the issue with limited download caps but unless one is at the computer 24/7, the time not on the computer can be used to update games.

Each game on Steam can be decided or set to update automatically or not: Library -> right click on installed game -> Properties... -> UPDATES -> Select "Only update this game when I launch it"
  • Below that setting is settings for if you want downloads to continue while playing a game or not

Move all the appmanifiests for games you don't play and steam won't know they are installed.

Each game on Steam can be decided or set to update automatically or not: Library -> right click on installed game -> Properties... -> UPDATES -> Select "Only update this game when I launch it"
  • Below that setting is settings for if you want downloads to continue while playing a game or not
Personally I find that steam option completely useless. It was fine originally when it would let to ignore updates and still let you play the game, but now, you have no choice, you must update the game once steam knows there is an update before it will even let you launch the game. I get it is necessary in the case of multiplayer only games, but since I spend 99.9% of my time on SP only, I find updates a giant waste of time. I don't have bandwidth issues, but steam's new bandwidth saving patches are so much worse for me. I have had patches that took so long to finish applying the diffs that I could have re-downloaded it complete faster.

Yeah, All of these updates are a bit frustrating and smh these day's. cod is the worst offender it seems.

Back