Gamers Who Play For Hours Are Prone To Hallucinations

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new study claims that gamers that play for hours are prone to hallucinations. I don't know about you, but I've been playing games for decades and I've never experienced anything mentioned in this study.

Gamers who play for hours are prone to hallucinations and seeing distorted versions of reality, according to a new study. Respondents reported seeing "distorted versions of real world surroundings" and "misinterpreted real life objects" after they had stopped playing. Others said that game menus appear in front of their eyes during conversations.

it isnt hallucinations,

it is day dreaming, if something is boring them they day dream about the games they like

I dunno, I asked the alien sitting next to me if he's ever had this happen. He said no..

... what? Did they survey schizophrenics and people suffering from night terrors?

I've probably averaged 6-7 hours of gaming a day for the past five years, and I don't even get hallucinations when I smoke moldy weed. I'm missing out.

it isnt hallucinations,

it is day dreaming, if something is boring them they day dream about the games they like

IDK, but game menus and HUD displays are pretty boring. If that is the best thing that they can "daydream" about, then there is seriously something wrong with them.

Well it mentions ghost images....I've had those. I won't say because of games specifically, but if I spent a good amount of time reading text, especially on a white background, Ill see lines in my vision for some period of time after. You'd get the same thing if you stared at a news station broadcast on TV, if they constantly showed the ticker at the bottom and weather forecast in squares to one side..you'd see them in your vision for awhile after.

So, I could see getting after images of a HUD. I wouldn't call it a hallucination though, anymore than seeing spots after you get a bright light shined into your eyes would be a hallucination.

You shoot one door to door salesman because you mistake him for a zombie and this is what happens ... what's wrong with the universe ... I am just going to hop on my flying griffon mount and fly away :p

Ummmm, as a gamer and friend of many, I can't say I've ever heard of this beyond joking about it.

one time when playing Half Life 1 I entered an alternate reality and saw the future...

never happened to me and in the everquest 1 era during summer break i would play over 12 hours a day...

i feel cheated i didn't get what for free what i have to buy drugs for.

Well it mentions ghost images....I've had those. I won't say because of games specifically, but if I spent a good amount of time reading text, especially on a white background, Ill see lines in my vision for some period of time after. You'd get the same thing if you stared at a news station broadcast on TV, if they constantly showed the ticker at the bottom and weather forecast in squares to one side..you'd see them in your vision for awhile after.

So, I could see getting after images of a HUD. I wouldn't call it a hallucination though, anymore than seeing spots after you get a bright light shined into your eyes would be a hallucination.

Image retention and hallucinations aren't the same.

While I was playing Diablo 3 single player, I hallucinated rubber banding, lag, and delayed deaths. Must have been a hallucination. It was single player.

What? That was real? Fuck.

After some 24 LAN parties in the past -- I've had odd feelings driving home (think playing BF1942 for hours, sleep deprived....). But not in "normal" life after gaming.

I'm not even a gamer and I've had this happen. I can't count the number of times I've left work after working in Photoshop, and my brain complains about the clouds not looking right, or trees being too two-dimensional.

... what? Did they survey schizophrenics and people suffering from night terrors?

More like they only interviewed people that were taking hallucinogenic drugs and/or were prone to hallucinations.

I also want to know how much sleep these people they interviewed have been regularly getting. Long periods of no sleep can do funky stuff to your mind.

It would really funny if it came out that these people that they interviewed had not had sleep for 24-48 hours before playing, and then went out driving and had these issues.

I wonder how many of the people interviewed that reported these things are on "ADHD" drugs and/or other medications.

:DI can't buy someone really seeing hallucinations unless they already have some type of mental illness, and the repetative imagery spending so much time on one game simply manifests itself.

However, I can personally attest to games having an effect on your way of thinking to some extent. For a while I became addicted to playing the Sims, and I found that I started managing my own life/actions to mirror how I managed the sims activities.

At that point I snapped the disk in half and haven't touched the game since! :D

More like they only interviewed people that were taking hallucinogenic drugs and/or were prone to hallucinations.

I also want to know how much sleep these people they interviewed have been regularly getting. Long periods of no sleep can do funky stuff to your mind.

It would really funny if it came out that these people that they interviewed had not had sleep for 24-48 hours before playing, and then went out driving and had these issues.

I wonder how many of the people interviewed that reported these things are on "ADHD" drugs and/or other medications.

Good points.

I shouldn't even say something like this but what they hell, beat me for it later.

An OEG, (Out of Game Experience).

Damn damn damn, trademark that right now boyz ! :eek:

I knew someone who saw hallucinations after multiple days of no sleep. Know how many videos games they played? Zero.

The study, compiled from responses by 483 forum users, explored the concept of “game transfer phenomena” – experiences where players’ perceptions, cognitions and behaviours are influenced by images seen while gaming.

Yah, so this "research" was from forum responses, not interviews or any kind of actual controlled experiment. Worthless.

I wanted to say this has never happened to me, but I guess I wouldn't be able to tell if I'm hallucinating something:eek:

We can't stop here. This is bat country.

gJhGAb4l.png

Yah, so this "research" was from forum responses, not interviews or any kind of actual controlled experiment. Worthless.

That's the problem with these "studies". You can prove just about anything you want to, even if they're contradictory. I often feel that the result is decided beforehand on what the study is trying to prove.

I do occasionally dream that I am playing a game when I have been playing that particular title a lot. But I have never hallucinated anything from them.

By the way this "study" has got to have used the lowest rent method for getting participants: forum users. I'm sure they were all 100% truthful and in no way tried to skew the result for "lols".

That's the problem with these "studies". You can prove just about anything you want to, even if they're contradictory. I often feel that the result is decided beforehand on what the study is trying to prove.

They "proved" nothing, this isn't science. Its click-bait trash that shouldn't even be linked.

Remember the first time you played Tetris? And then you went to bed, and you closed your eyes, and you saw little tetris pieces falling into place in your mind? Kind of how a bad tune gets stuck in your head?

They are probably talking about that - and choosing their words poorly. "hallucinations" ... Umm ok, I guess.

gamers are crazy is the diagnosis...Columbine, Adam Lanza, Boston Marathon bombing etc all are the direct result of too much gaming :eek:

I am seeing little rainbow colored teddy bears as I type this, does that mean I played a little to much last night?!?

Now, I wouldn't call it a hallucination, but once I did have an out of game experience. Years ago, when Everquest was new I had spent a long weekend playing a ton. The next work day I was walking down a Boston street heading to lunch when I saw someone I thought I knew ahead of me. In my mind, I tried to target and "con" the person to see if it was who I thought it was. I took a little break from the game for a week after that. :p That was the only time anything gaming related happened outside of game to me.

I've never had a single hallucination. Just like almost everyone on this forum. Sometimes returning to reality after a extended gaming session can feel a little weird but not like hallucinations or anything.

All I can think of is Men Who Stare at Goats where he is flashing that light and moving it around the guy that is tripping on acid. :) Why don't they do something that scientific?

Never happened to me, but I think I'm going to start a 48 hour gaming marathon (not with the 360, it'll fry!)

I've done 10+ hour gaming days in series, accumulating hours nearly in the 5 digits before (for at least one game), this never happened to me, hallucinations that is

I got a little queasy once after an absurdly long EQ session back in the day. A 30 minute nap and I was right as rain. I no longer play MMOs, so I don't think I need to be worried about a recurrence.

This sounds.............exaggerated.

When I close my eyes at night, I do have imagery of a game I might have played all day. That's nothing new though. When you start seeing red nameplates over strangers, that's when you should worry.

Back