Gamers who play both PC and PS3

As for the OP; I recently had been playing my PS3 non-stop. Then I finally got around to buying a new Laptop, now I've been catching up on some PC titles, so I haven't used the PS3 in a while, but I do plan on keeping it. PS3 + PC is a great combo :)

The PS3 makes a good media player/bluray player and you get some excellent games as well. If you have kids or other gaming family members I highly recommend Little Big Planet. I have played the hell out of Blur and Split Second with friends. It is a great system that complements my PC gaming habit. I wouldn't dream of getting rid of mine and I am an old school PC gamer.

I think if you want to play games with friends or want to play the console exclusives, PS3 is great. If you aren't going to use it as a bluray player because you already have several, you dont care about playing with friends using controllers, you dont care about the console exclusives and you're a sucker for high res and high framerate I wonder why you bought a PS3 in the first place :p

Most PS3 exclusives hold up well on a 1080p screen. Its the sub-hd ports that could disappoint someone used to the latest high res PC graphics.

Wipeout HD is crazy good looking, GT5 will look incredible. Gow of War 3, while only 720p, looks like animation due to the special AA.

A PS3 is definitely worth owning as a compliment to a PC. Especially if you like racing games.

A PS3 is definitely worth owning as a compliment to a PC. Especially if you like racing games.

Not really. The only racing game the stupid PS3 would have over the other systems is still nothing more than vaporware at this point.

If you are really into racing games avoid the PS3 like the plague until GT5 actually shows up and lives up to all the hype.

Until then Forza is the cream of the crop for racing games and pretty much every other good racing game is multi platform.

Not really. The only racing game the stupid PS3 would have over the other systems is still nothing more than vaporware at this point.

If you are really into racing games avoid the PS3 like the plague until GT5 actually shows up and lives up to all the hype.

Until then Forza is the cream of the crop for racing games and pretty much every other good racing game is multi platform.
If you think GT 5 is at the level of "Vaporware", then you've got issues friend. The game is close enough to be set to be released by the end of the year. Just because it gets pushed back a couple times doesn't mean it's has a high probability of never coming out, which constitutes the tag of 'Vaporware'.

Hell, even DNF can't be considered 'vaporware' anymore.

If you think GT 5 is at the level of "Vaporware", then you've got issues friend. The game is close enough to be set to be released by the end of the year. Just because it gets pushed back a couple times doesn't mean it's has a high probability of never coming out, which constitutes the tag of 'Vaporware'.

Hell, even DNF can't be considered 'vaporware' anymore.

If you say so... Bet you $5 it dont release in 2010.

I'm hoping next year that MS and Sony announce next-gen game systems. Their systems are looking pretty anemic and they're becoming kludges as MS and Sony try to keep them relevant.

Newsflash..the majority of consumers play games on consoles and they still think that the graphics are great. We are close to reaching a point in the market where "better graphics" is no longer a selling point. I think sony and microsoft have realized that and are focusing on improving the user experience and interaction with their consoles. You guys that play games just for FPS and need to be able to count the ball hairs on Duke's nut sack make up about 5% of the market.

This thread screams of butthurt chronicles. Keep the PS3 and do some gaming from the couch, you might find it more comfortable than sitting at a desk. It not you can always sell it later.

As a PC gamer, the only games I want to play on PS3 are the indie games on the Playstation Store and basically Gran Turismo (whenever it actually comes out) and you simply can't pass up Demon's Souls even though the graphics are not the best, this is one of the best games. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1481423

I have a nice gaming rig (in sig) and all three consoles. Pretty much same as everyone here, I use the PC mostly for FPS/RTS games and the consoles for console exclusive heavy hitters. I think the consoles look fine at 720p (what most of them are) on my 1080p 52" Sony Bravia LCD. But I'm not as much of a graphics/FPS whore like you seem to be.

I haven't played my PS3 in several months, but the last few I've played, which include the God of War games, Heavy Rain and Uncharted games. And for the love of all gaming, at least buy the Uncharted games and play them before selling the PS3. I'm not sure if it runs at 1080p and/or 60 FPS, but I don't remember any slowdown and the graphics are awesome.

Also, I would replace your standalone BD player(s) with a PS3. The new Netflix streaming app is superior, I'm sure, since it allows you to search movies and preview them before you even click on them. Plus it's already go updated firmware for 3D movies, not sure if any stand alone players got updated for that or not though.

You will prolly disagree with me on some of this stuff though, because I thought Dead Space played fine on my PC (I have it on both 360 and PC too). I don't remember it being locked at 30 FPS and I always play with vSync on because I can't stand tearing. I use triple buffered vSync though to keep it from being locked at 30/60 FPS. Also, I didn't have a problem with the controls after getting used to them in 5-10 mins.

Who says I can't play pc games from the couch? :D.

img0940i.jpg

Anyway I'm still not sold on the idea of keeping the ps3. Think I'll have to go to best buy and try it out. Don't play sports games, have 2 pcs in my game room for occasional company, already have a 3d blu-ray player etc. Really only going to be good for a few exclusives. Is that worth $300+, and $60 games? Need some hands on I guess.

I love when people pull crap out of their pooper.

The first 3D title that comes to my mind for the PS3 is... KillZone 3.

Yes, 3D graphics and also able to use the PS Move.

I've also heard Motorstorm is running in 3D?

Wipeout! You forgot wipeout!! One of the best 3d PS3 games

Who says I can't play pc games from the couch? :D. *Snip*
Lol, that doesn't look too comfortable if you're leaning over the arm rest to get to the keyboard and mouse. I've done a similar setup in my living room before and it worked much better with something like this ;).

. Really only going to be good for a few exclusives. Is that worth $300+, and $60 games? Need some hands on I guess.

For the Uncharted games alone, most certainly YES! All the other exclusives (God of War 1-3, MGS4, Gran Turismo, etc.) are just gravy on top. Seriously, the Uncharted games are that good.. esp. the 2nd one (recommended to play them in order). This is my new favorite series for action/adventure games across any platform. I very rarely buy games brand new and even more rarely at launch, and to attest to that Uncharted 2 was the last game I bought for $60 (at launch) for any of my consoles and that was about this time last year.

If anything, if I were you, I would at the very least play a few of the great exclusives and the sell the PS3 shortly afterwords. I don't see why you'd want to sell it so haste-fully without trying it unless you're strapped for cash.

Lol.. Mike211 is still at it after all these years. props. props.

Rofl, indeed. I honestly don't see how he hasn't been banned for countless attempts at e-peen enlargement after being warned to stop (as specified in his sig) because, just as in this thread, his pics contribute absolutely nothing to the threads he posts them in and he doesn't even bother to elaborate by putting them in context.

Bravo, Mike, for being the biggest pseudo-troll on the forums! ;)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I own both and to me it seems odd to worry so much about FPS and not at all about anything else, including the actual game/gameplay. If that's the case you should sell it becuae there aren't many games that run at 1080p and are locked in at 60fps.

It would be a shame though beucase there ARE a lot of great games for it, but that's a moot point since it doesn't seem to be a factor in your decision.

If you say so... Bet you $5 it dont release in 2010.

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come out in 2010, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got it out in time for the holiday season. One thing is for sure IMO, and that's that it WILL come out. They've invested too much money into it's development to abandon it.

Either console is a good compliment to a PC if only for the ability to rent and test out games before committing to purchasing the non-refundable PC versions - I've tried a few games on the 360 first, and if I liked them I bought them for PC :)

Obviously it's not worth buying a console solely for this purpose unless you spend over $1000 on games a year, but if you already have a console...

I love RPGs (J and W), fighting games, and MMOs.
I have no recourse but to own both.

Three $500 graphics cards, a XBox 360 S, a PS3, and (I'm assuming) a Dell 3007/8WFP?

Must be nice to have some seriously disposable income, eh?

Please, for the love of god, don't encourage him. I think he gets off on responses like this which is why 95% of his posts are pics like that to enlarge his e-peen. He won't even respond to people calling him out on this or even to questions/comments like yours which makes me think he's a bot sometimes, hah.

Three $500 graphics cards, a XBox 360 S, a PS3, and (I'm assuming) a Dell 3007/8WFP?

Must be nice to have some seriously disposable income, eh?

I'll be impressed when I see two more of those Dell screens in the pic. As it stands I find 3 480's powering a single monitor kind of dumb.

Well guess I decided to keep it, thanks for all the replies. Got some games off the Amazon 2 for 3 deal.
Think this is a decent starter kit, couple exclusives, a co-op game and a cheap racing game to test the G27 on console.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Resident Evil 5
Need for Speed: Undercover

Well guess I decided to keep it, thanks for all the replies. Got some games off the Amazon 2 for 3 deal.
Think this is a decent starter kit, couple exclusives, a co-op game and a cheap racing game to test the G27 on console.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Resident Evil 5
Need for Speed: Undercover

If you are going to keep it i would definitely suggest getting a copy of infamous. It should be pretty cheap.

Uncharted 2... Probably the best game for PS3.

NFS: Undercover, probably one of the worst. Don't feel bad though, I made the same mistake of buying it when I first got my PS3 also.

If you are going to keep it i would definitely suggest getting a copy of infamous. It should be pretty cheap.
Cool, will check it out if I like gaming on the ps3
Uncharted 2... Probably the best game for PS3.

NFS: Undercover, probably one of the worst. Don't feel bad though, I made the same mistake of buying it when I first got my PS3 also.

Honestly it took me like 2 hrs to pick out a 3rd game out of the 2 for 3 deal. Wanted something under $30. Know reviews didn't look good, but other racing games like Grid, Blur, etc were too expensive or don't support the G27 at all. NFS: Shift looked more like F1 2010, which I'm playing on pc.

So Undercover was free and is 100% G27 compatible, figured its worth trying before I drop $60 on GT5.

Well got my ps3 tonight. Have not even received my games yet and am already impressed. If someone had mentioned the ps3 did mlb.tv, I'd have been sold instantly lol. It freakin blows in Windows, HD didn't even work in Win7, at least at the start of the season. Looking forward to next season if it works well on the ps3.

Downloading NFS: Hot Pursuit demo currently. Then will try some 3d action. Ps3 even instantly detected I had a 3dtv, the size 58 inches, and all before downloading the 3.50 update. Wish PC software had that support.

Edit: Fuck me, this is why I don't game that much any more. Soon as I start, get called into work. Being on call 24/7 sucks. 1 more year...

Last edited:
I say keep the ps3 for exclusives. But for all the non platformers play on PC if its available.

I say keep the ps3 for exclusives. But for all the non platformers play on PC if its available.

+1 This is exactly what i do usually. Like most here GT5 will be the next game I buy for my PS3. Everything else PC only. Overall I am happy with the purchase it's a nice piece of hardware to go with my plasma in the living room. Blurays are awesome, netflix is cool as hell in HD and some gaming here and there with my kids is fun too. :)

Edit: Make no mistake though for my personal gaming enjoyment there is no equal or substitute for my fantastic gaming rig. :)

Back