Gamers Nexus Reviews the Walmart Gaming PC

I wonder if that psu has the sort of protections that a decent one would have to stop it killing your components like ocp,ovp etc.

At $2100 you bet your ass I'd be throwing a shitstorm tantrum if they send me something cheaper, honest mistake or not.

So you've never ordered online or gone to a retail store and received the wrong item?

Yes, I'd be upset if I paid a boatload of money and got the wrong thing.
That being said, the guy contacted Walmart CS and they recognized the problem.

He simply has to turn the item for the correct one, just like you and I would do. (but in this case he has to put the whole system back together.)
The invoice and the box identification simply do not match, simple problem due to very close ID numbers between different models.

I think this whole thing is over-reaction to an honest mistake.

Yes, I'd never buy something like this from Walmart, but any large retailer can make a mistake in shipping. This was likely drop-shipped anyway.

I believe the configuration as tested was supposed to be 1500. But I could have built a lot better for $1300.

The memory is 130 low grade adata
The motherboard is about 100
The video card is 500
The storage 80
The PSU 50
The CPU 250
The case maybe 75

That's about 1200 if I didn't buy in bulk. In bulk I can get about 10 to 15% off a lot of those parts if not more. The configuration was crappy too. The top USB ports didn't work. I mean seriously WTH.

They could have spent another $30 and at least upgraded to a z chipset for the additional USB 3 lanes.

Yup.
The retail price of the lower end model the guy received was 1399. So in your sceniero Walmart got roughly 200 dollars not including the cost of a W10 license, packing, boxing shipping and labor.

So you've never ordered online or gone to a retail store and received the wrong item?

He simply has to turn the item for the correct one, just like you and I would do. (but in this case he has to put the whole system back together.)
The invoice and the box identification simply do not match, simple problem due to very close ID numbers between different models.

Yes, I'd never buy something like this from Walmart, but any large retailer can make a mistake in shipping. This was likely drop-shipped anyway.

Its an "honest mistake" from warehouse workers, possibly partly due to horrible labeling practices from Walmart. You don't hear about reputable SIs making this kind of "honest mistake". Walamrt needs to be held to the same standards as you'd expect from Dell, Cyberpower, Maingear, and so on. They need to make sure customers get the PC they ordered and to make sure it is easy for their warehouse workers to tell one product from the other when they're in a hurry, which they always are.

I think the reason these are cheap POS computers is because Walmart specs the cheapest stuff they can and almost forces manufactures to go along with it. This is why many electronics sold by Walmart either are bottom line products or actually have a Walmart specific part number or specific serial number.
See a "WM" in a part or serial number and it's guaranteed made cheaper

ibuypower uses el cheapo motherboards too.

and at least walmart plugs in their gpus.

View attachment 122600

What on god's green earth is that USB dongle thing doing there?!? It's like they zip tied it to show it off but it looks horrible!

IDK why but him taring the thing down with every component removed and scrutinized, if I was Walmart and saw this video, I'd not take it back. If you got the wrong thing, pack it up and send it back; simple as that. If I sold someone a PC and somehow, for the sake of argument, sent them the wrong one and found out that rather than send it back for me to straighten out they tore it to pieces, I'd say its theirs now, that kinda thing pisses me off. That being said, it was a decent video and I'm sure the correct PC won't be any better so most of his comments will still apply.

Disclaimer: I am NOT defending Walmart, I wouldn't wish one of these "PC's" on my worst enemy. All I'm saying is send it back, get it straightened out, then do your review and mention, not focus on, the mix-up. His argument that the average consumer isn't going to notice is only partially valid. First, if you buy something and get the wrong thing but aren't smart enough to notice, that's your own fault for either not knowing enough about what you got or eating too many paint chips as a kid. If you don't know enough about what you bought to know you got the wrong thing, you are as much at fault as the shipper. Second, yeah it's Walmarts fault but unfortunately accidents do happen. It's just unfortunate for Walmart that that accident happened to a reviewer who has a good sized following but this also speaks to Walmarts lack of knowledge in the PC area but I digress.

LoL, Might as well.

Wouldn't be the worst thing to do once in the next town over for a quick upgrade haha If it was a mom and pop store or a reputable vendor that has staff smart enough to notice, I'd never consider it. But imho, Walmart has no business in the PC market if that's what they call a gaming PC.

What on god's green earth is that USB dongle thing doing there?!? It's like they zip tied it to show it off but it looks horrible!

IDK why but him taring the thing down with every component removed and scrutinized, if I was Walmart and saw this video, I'd not take it back. If you got the wrong thing, pack it up and send it back; simple as that. If I sold someone a PC and somehow, for the sake of argument, sent them the wrong one and found out that rather than send it back for me to straighten out they tore it to pieces, I'd say its theirs now, that kinda thing pisses me off. That being said, it was a decent video and I'm sure the correct PC won't be any better so most of his comments will still apply.

Disclaimer: I am NOT defending Walmart, I wouldn't wish one of these "PC's" on my worst enemy. All I'm saying is send it back, get it straightened out, then do your review and mention, not focus on, the mix-up. His argument that the average consumer isn't going to notice is only partially valid. First, if you buy something and get the wrong thing but aren't smart enough to notice, that's your own fault for either not knowing enough about what you got or eating too many paint chips as a kid. If you don't know enough about what you bought to know you got the wrong thing, you are as much at fault as the shipper. Second, yeah it's Walmarts fault but unfortunately accidents do happen. It's just unfortunate for Walmart that that accident happened to a reviewer who has a good sized following but this also speaks to Walmarts lack of knowledge in the PC area but I digress.

Wouldn't be the worst thing to do once in the next town over for a quick upgrade haha If it was a mom and pop store or a reputable vendor that has staff smart enough to notice, I'd never consider it. But imho, Walmart has no business in the PC market if that's what they call a gaming PC.
Because he bought it with the intention to tear it down and scrutinize it. That's his job. Was it an accident he got the wrong one? Who knows.

Because he bought it with the intention to tear it down and scrutinize it. That's his job. Was it an accident he got the wrong one? Who knows.

True, but he bought the more (most) expensive one and as well all know, got the wrong one. So he not only tore down a PC he was returning, but he (to an extent) scrutinized it with the eye of a guy who bought the more expensive one. I get taking the side panel off and taking a look out of curiosity but removing every single component from the case? Seems a bit far for something that's getting returned. IDK starting to feel like I'm playing devils advocate here o_O

Son apparently you missed the video of him calling Gigabyte out for false advertising...

FYI for Z390 ASUS is trash all the way up to Maximus XI. I have the ASUS Z390-E and it's a POS, the VRMs turn to into furnaces with a 9700k with voltage added. The heatpipe is lousy and they're only 4 phase vrm. I'm returning it for a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master which is on the way.

Last edited:
True, but he bought the more (most) expensive one and as well all know, got the wrong one. So he not only tore down a PC he was returning, but he (to an extent) scrutinized it with the eye of a guy who bought the more expensive one. I get taking the side panel off and taking a look out of curiosity but removing every single component from the case? Seems a bit far for something that's getting returned. IDK starting to feel like I'm playing devils advocate here o_O
I guess we will see when he gets the more expensive one back. I am guessing it will have the same MB and PS. The PS could have a few more watts, but I bet the quality will be the same.

Remember the $1000 Monster HDMI cables?

I saw a close pic of one, and realized it was a Stock Samtec cable.

I called my rep, and he gave me one for free, lol.

He said they were ~$7 in quantity 1000.

There was a company that sold a product called the Chord Clearway power cleaner. It was a black box that you plugged between a powersupply and your IEC mains cable going to your CD player or whatever. They had good reviews. I noticed it looked a lot like some power filters we had in some video conferencing units at work.

Took a peek and sure enough they were Farnell Mains Filters running at 6amps same as the Chords. However the Farnells cost £25 and the Chords £300! Thats a lot of extra for a label! I checked the other specs and they were identical.

I then posted this out on the Hi-Fi forums and Chord stopped selling them soon after.

A small win.

I have a couple of the Farnells hooked into my PC setup. Clean power never hurts.

I guess we will see when he gets the more expensive one back. I am guessing it will have the same MB and PS. The PS could have a few more watts, but I bet the quality will be the same.

I'm with you there; one more stick of RAM, Video Card swap, and maybe a higher wattage PSU but honestly, even that would surprise me

I'm pretty sure when GN returns it they will have left it better than it was. TIM will be better quality and better applied and actual cable management will be done. And why the hell is a 256gb Adata SSD twice as expensive as a 500gb 860 evo (Just got one from Microcenter this weekend)?

I couldn't get past or stop laughing at the "just buy it" code it code on the video showing the space invaders on the screen.

"cheap is as cheap does"

Ifn ya gonna buy a pre-built peecee from wallyworld, then you should also probably wait for that 50% off coupon to buy your heart valve replacements and/or hip joints.....

'nuff said :D

i don't get the hate.

i posted 2 similar systems from walmart and ibuypower in the last page.

the walmart one even with it's crap board and power supply were better than why you got from ibuypower and were 300 dollars cheaper.

for the money you save you can get a better board and power supply. and still have twice the memory and storage.

i just don't get it.

i don't get the hate.

the walmart one even with it's crap board and power supply were better than why you got from ibuypower and were 300 dollars cheaper.

for the money you save you can get a better board and power supply. and still have twice the memory and storage.

i just don't get it.

These systems are targeted at moms who want to buy a PC for their kid to play fork knife and have no idea ibuypower or newegg exists, let alone how to build their own pcs.

Again, online research is something for you and I. We understand the specs. Mom is just going to go see what they have in store, for the tangible review.

they sell ibuypower pc's in the store. on the shelf you could get one right now.

Maybe your area? None in mine, I have 6 Walmarts in a reasonable distance. Just checked online.

i don't even live in the states but the one nearest to the closest border crossing has this one

Untitled.png

i don't get the hate.

i just don't get it.
Well, Steve's review from Gamersnexus showed the system had massive thermal problems with the front panel left on, so that would justify some hate. Interesting though that when Linus reviewed it he did not find heat to be a big problem. Though it should be noted Linus did not recommend a buy.

iBuypower and CyberpowerPC are still a better buy IMO. Both of these vendors are constantly having sales, making price comparisons tough to make on an apples to apples basis. Also, you can swap out the psu with these vendors, and this is recommended in order to get a reliable brand name psu.

Back