Gamers Nexus Reviews the Walmart Gaming PC

You can knock off the "son" bullshit. I am not your "son" and your attempts at belittling are not welcome. Either talk to me like an adult or don't reply again.

Really? They never claimed it? So ASRock never claimed to be using IR parts when they weren't? ASUS never outright lied about the phases on the Z390 boards sent to reviewers for the 9900K launch? I'm not being apologetic to Gigabyte, I'm pointing out that there are problems industry wide with companies not being truthful about VRMs on some of their products. Doesn't matter which manufacturer it is, its crap and needs to stop.

Son do you have an issue with me? I don't follow Intel parts anymore, so their partners may have mislead people and I'm not aware, just as you were not aware to what was going on, on the AMD Gigabtye side.

I thought Bait-and-switch was illegal.

I guess not if you're big enough.

Since when is a shipping error bait and switch?

Are you of the belief that Wal-Mart is intentionally shipping out the wrong product and just hoping nobody will notice?

This reminds me of when I tell folks to go in and buy the laptop with the 256GB SSD but the asshole sales person tells them to buy the 2TB HDD version cos..."larger is better!"

"You bought a slow ass laptop...take it back!"

The irony, Gigabyte mobo.... If I was going to build a pos and fuck someone over they would be my brand of choice! /cry I miss UD3s :/
not to mention the gigabyte GTX 1070 they used in that system is notorious for having noisy and prematurely dying fans(they typically last 3-5 months).

I'm having a hard time watching this guy rail on Walmart for what was a simple shipping error.

As someone already posted, the price is not too far off a retail purchased DIY build.

I'm not holding Walmart responsible for making a simple error in dropshippnig.

For the actual 1300 dollar price the guy got what he paid for. Come on, PC from Walmart, what are your expectations anyway?

alot of bullshit in that video over a simple shipping error.

I'm having a hard time watching this guy rail on Walmart for what was a simple shipping error.

As someone already posted, the price is not too far off a retail purchased DIY build.

For the actual 1300 dollar price the guy got what he paid for. Come on, PC from Walmart, what are your expectations anyway?

I think it's fair here. A lot of people probably wouldn't notice the difference. You don't hear about SIs making this kind of mistake, I'd imagine they have several checks in place to make sure customers get what they order. Wal-Mart fucking up online orders is not uncommon. They routinely have long delays, refuse to tell customers an item is back ordered (sometimes waiting over a week to say anything or not updating it at all until someone calls to ask), mix up orders, etc. Walmart needs to get their shipping department fixed so this shit doesn't happen to people that wouldn't otherwise know better.

Around $400 (or even more) cheaper is considered not too far off? And that assumes the crap PSU and cheap-ass looking cooler cost more than $5-15 each. If not you're approaching a near $500 price difference between retail prices and Walmart pre-built. Then count in the fact that there is no way in hell Walmart is paying retail prices for anything and you have Walmart making a pretty big profit off of each system.

when you spend 2 grand on that hunk of crap you'd expect them to ship the correct thing.. if you think that was railing on walmart.. i've seen people go ballistic on CS reps because their loaf of bread they bought had 1 less slice in it, lol.

i still love how people keep saying "it's walmart, what were you expecting?" we get that walmart is cheap as hell but there's a huge difference between us and the people that are buying these things, they don't know any better.. they're buying these things for their kids and relying on the store to provide them with what they think is a high end system. these are the same people that go to bestbuy and pay 40 dollars for an HDMI cable instead of spending 30 seconds on amazon or newegg and buying the same cable for 5 dollars.

Maybe Walmart set a flat price for each system that they’d pay the actual builder based on basic specs.

The company gave them the product Walmart specked out at the required price, but cheaped out everywhere else.

So Walmart may be getting swindled here as well.

Around $400 (or even more) cheaper is considered not too far off? And that assumes the crap PSU and cheap-ass looking cooler cost more than $5-15 each. If not you're approaching a near $500 price difference between retail prices and Walmart pre-built. Then count in the fact that there is no way in hell Walmart is paying retail prices for anything and you have Walmart making a pretty big profit off of each system.

Maybe eSports Arena is taking a good chunk of the profits? So they order the desktops from someone, slap their sticker on it, mark them up for a nice profit, and sell them to Walmart who marks them up again.

Or maybe it's just an expensive branding deal, and Walmart orders the systems directly. Either way, that could help explain the big markup.

I have heard of this before - it's difficult to believe that it is cost effective to retool and get different lines of suppliers just for one retailer- even a massive one.

This is an established fact, not a rumor. At Walmart's scale the tooling isn't that expensive and they'll even help you identify the pieces to change. I'll try and dig up the interview I read about this.

He wasn't just railing at Walmart for shipping the wrong PC (something their shipping dept should be triple checking for any product being shipped that costs over a grand). He is railing mostly at the atrocious build quality and choice of the cheapest parts you can find to build a PC with. I mean seriously the parts that went into that PC are some of the cheapest crap you can buy (I can get a retail PSU like that for about $40 CA - which is pretty close to $25 US). Everything except the video card and CPU are the worst engineered crap you can find. Also the PC assemblers didn't have a clue how to do cable management. The whole thing from top to bottom is a complete and utter ripoff. And they have the cajones to call use "Overpowered" as a brand name. BUT Walmart will sell lots of them because there is no shortage of stupid buyers out there that have nothing better to do with their money.

Nobody with a halfway functioning brain buys big-ticket items from Walmart.

... these are the same people that go to bestbuy and pay 40 dollars for an HDMI cable instead of spending 30 seconds on amazon or newegg and buying the same cable for 5 dollars.

Remember the $1000 Monster HDMI cables?

I saw a close pic of one, and realized it was a Stock Samtec cable.

I called my rep, and he gave me one for free, lol.

He said they were ~$7 in quantity 1000.

At the end of the video he lists other builders. Both cyberpower and ibuypower have some great deals on their gaming pc's for black friday, totally blowing away this walmart pos.

Are you of the belief that Wal-Mart is intentionally shipping out the wrong product and just hoping nobody will notice?

I did agree with Steve, that getting the wrong computer in this case is very bad. Chances are, people who order such an overpriced PC from Walmart will not know the difference between a GTX 1070 or 1080 ti, or 16GB (single channel!!!) vs 32GB. I can totally see this happening.

I do not believe this was intentional, but Steve's shipped PC was labeled correctly as the lower end model, even though he ordered the higher end one.

I did agree with Steve, that getting the wrong computer in this case is very bad. Chances are, people who order such an overpriced PC from Walmart will not know the difference between a GTX 1070 or 1080 ti, or 16GB (single channel!!!) vs 32GB. I can totally see this happening.

I do not believe this was intentional, but Steve's shipped PC was labeled correctly as the lower end model, even though he ordered the higher end one.

The labeling looked really tiny, which I wonder if that was something that contributed to him getting the wrong one. Either the outer box or the inner box really should have the product name and model in much bigger type so its easier for both the warehouse employees and customers to see.

I missed this post.

Yeah, I think exactly that. Did I stutter? :)

Most of their "targeted purchasers" would never notice.

This is the kinda thing someone's Aunt buys them "for school", not realizing a laptop would be far more useful.

A lot of large businesses count on the fact that a lot of people never send stuff back, not realizing they lost a customer.

Rockauto is becoming one; I've gotten the same wrong control arm, in the same retaped box twice, and other guys on my forum have received it too, lol.

We started writing our name and date on the inside of the box, and they haven't noticed yet, lol.

That system sucks for the money. Walmart would have been much smarter going with an AMD build here with Nvidia graphics - the 8700 is going to be held back by that motherboard/ram combination. Ryzen 2600 would have been more than sufficient for the 1070, for the 1080 Ti the Ryzen 2700 or 2600K. Combined with a B450 motherboard which can come pretty cheap but with much better features then that Gigabyte H board. Very bad selection of parts for the money, power supply? Case not that good. At least the parts are upgradable vice being proprietary - that is about the only thing I find OK with that system.

That awful motherboard, RAM and PSU would be alright for a cheap build. I could see someone pulling it out to be reused. I would sell the 8700, but I love to overclock. Still a decent CPU at least.

What have we learned?

if the box has the wrong model number on it go on YouTube and show everyone you got the wrong parts installed on a pc that was wrongly shipped to you with the correct model number on the box and shipping manifest instead of just waiting for the right one to arrive and do a review of it?

also be surprised that a company that builds pc's is daring to make money on some of the parts instead of whipping them together and selling them at cost to you and a loss for themselves.

if the box has the wrong model number on it go on YouTube and show everyone you got the wrong parts installed on a pc that was wrongly shipped to you with the correct model number on the box and shipping manifest instead of just waiting for the right one to arrive and do a review of it?

also be surprised that a company that builds pc's is daring to make money on some of the parts instead of whipping them together and selling them at cost to you and a loss for themselves.

Walmart's $2100 PC comes with a budget motherboard, slow RAM, and a locked CPU on a terribly cheap air cooler. iBuyPower has a 9700k, Z motherboard, fast(er) RAM, and a 2080 vs a 1080 ti, all for a cheaper price.

That $1400 PC Steve reviewed was absolutely NOT worth it when a better system can be had for a cheaper price. Maybe this $2100 one will have a good air cooler, unlocked motherboard, and faster RAM. I hope it does, but Walmart's description is as vague as one would expect.

Walmart's $2100 PC comes with a budget motherboard, slow RAM, and a locked CPU on a terribly cheap air cooler. iBuyPower has a 9700k, Z motherboard, fast(er) RAM, and a 2080 vs a 1080 ti, all for a cheaper price.

That $1400 PC Steve reviewed was absolutely NOT worth it when a better system can be had for a cheaper price. Maybe this $2100 one will have a good air cooler, unlocked motherboard, and faster RAM. I hope it does, but Walmart's description is as vague as one would expect.

not reading my second sentence i see.

SIs like Ibuypower and Cyberpower manage to use quality name brand parts in CHEAPER systems and make a profit off of them. All without Walmart's ability it basically demand whatever prices they want to pay for items. You're defending crap systems for terrible prices.

I did. How are other companies able to make money building PC's with good hardware at competitive prices, but not Walmart?

ibuypower uses el cheapo motherboards too.

and at least walmart plugs in their gpus.

81+sJvnVZeL._SL1500_.jpg

and walmart is cheaper.

ibuypoower2.png

ibuypower.png

and you get more for your money.

also the ibuypower is on sale regular 1700!

Last edited:

At $2100 you bet your ass I'd be throwing a shitstorm tantrum if they send me something cheaper, honest mistake or not.

It all depends on what is inside. If it has a nice EVGA 750 or something, that might be a bit better than the super no name brander 500w? Maybe...

good luck trying to find out what they use that isn't listed on the title.

i can't find anything else on these stupid pre-builts.

good luck trying to find out what they use that isn't listed on the title.

i can't find anything else on these stupid pre-builts.
Probably whatever is the cheapest. That would be scary trusting that PS for a computer.

I believe the configuration as tested was supposed to be 1500. But I could have built a lot better for $1300.

The memory is 130 low grade adata
The motherboard is about 100
The video card is 500
The storage 80
The PSU 50
The CPU 250
The case maybe 75

That's about 1200 if I didn't buy in bulk. In bulk I can get about 10 to 15% off a lot of those parts if not more. The configuration was crappy too. The top USB ports didn't work. I mean seriously WTH.

They could have spent another $30 and at least upgraded to a z chipset for the additional USB 3 lanes.

it's Youtube. Reaction x1000 for the maxxxxxxxxx

The sad part about this is that when parents fill their kids wish of getting their kids a "Gaming PC" for Xmas, this is the crap they'll get. Like they mentioned in the video, your typical Walmart shopper won't notice this. Do the right thing and warn your non-technical friends to not buy pre-built PC's like this.

I'm spending Xmas morning helping my son build his first gaming PC. Ryzen 7 2700x, RTX 2070, G. Skill RGB RAM... At the same time I'm upgrading my daily driver with the exact same parts. A teaching opportunity with a *real* PC as the big present. If I showed up with this piece of crap as his big present I'd have to have my [H] card permanently revoked.

Back