Gamers Nexus Calls Out Tom’s Hardware for Their “Just Buy It” RTX 2080 Article

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Tom’s Hardware published an article yesterday that is raising a few eyebrows. Written by the website’s chief editor, “Just Buy It: Why NVIDIA RTX GPUs Are Worth the Money” goes to radical lengths to urge gamers and hardware enthusiasts to see past the cards’ premium pricing and make pre-orders before benchmarks arrive. Many readers, such as Gamers Nexus’s Steve Burke, are calling this a sad and obvious attempt at shilling.

The Tom's article is referencing pricing concerns from users relating to the new NVIDIA RTX video cards, including the RTX 2070, RTX 2080, and RTX 2080 Ti, which have higher prices relative to previous same-name products. We're not saying to buy or not buy the RTX cards (unlike Tom's), but are commenting on the actual insanity contained within the Tom's Hardware article by their for-now Editor-in-Chief.

"When you die and your whole life flashes before your eyes, how much of it do you want to not have ray tracing?"

Don't worry, I hear God uses a streaming service from Heavens Data center for that. Also rumored to be working directly with Apple, Google, Amazon, and the NSA to make sure they have a complete record of everything you did.

How about Toms buys it for me ? Sorry I love gaming and I love the hardware but I will not pay $600-$700 for just a mid range card, to probably play not even a handful of worthy games that come out every year. I dont game at 4K and they can stick their ray tracing where the sun doesn't shine. I'll enjoy my 1080 and see what the next crop of cards brings after this.

Toms Hardware and Anandtech (now under the same big-box ownership) were actually a couple of the top go to sites when they were still owned by Tom Pabst and Anand Al-Shimpi. Nowadays I hardly ever tune in to Tom's and only bother with Anandtech when they have an actual in-depth tech article (getting really rare). Most of the time both sites end up being product promotion sites with 1-pager product announcements. Sad.

This is what I posted on their site in the article comments:
What happened to this site? Back when it was owned and operated by Tom Pabst we would actually get real hardware news and informed recommendations. Now I see this site shilling an overpriced, under-utilized video card. "Just buy it"??!! Are you serious? How much did Nvidia pay you guys to do this fluff piece of misinformation?

Last edited:
So just to add I heard that ray tracing will run at 30fps-60fps at 1080P, 30fps is pretty freaking low, Im curious how will ray tracing run at 2K let alone 4K? If it performs at those resolutions like crap then the only big deal about the new cards is they are faster, how much faster we dont really know.

Toms Hardware and Anandtech (now under the same big-box ownership) were actually a couple of the top go to sites when they were still owned by Tom Pabst and Anand Al-Shimpi. Nowadays I hardly ever tune in to Tom's and only bother with Anandtech when they have an actual in-depth tech article (getting really rare). Most of the time both sites end up being product promotion sites with 1-pager product announcements. Sad.
Well put.
I hope Kyle never sells for that same reason. (I'd understand if he did, because who doesn't like money)

So just to add I heard that ray tracing will run at 30fps-60fps at 1080P, 30fps is pretty freaking low, Im curious how will ray tracing run at 2K let alone 4K? If it performs at those resolutions like crap then the only big deal about the new cards is they are faster, how much faster we dont really know.
Too soon to tell. Wait for benchmarks.

This is the equivalent of Jeb Bush's "Please clap". Except replace clap with pre-order.

Also lol:
o5wpb9i
https://imgur.com/a/o5wpb9i
o5wpb9i

Probably going to catch some flack for this, but you just said how it will run at 2k 30-60 fps why wonder?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_resolution

TH is one of about a dozen sites I gloss over every now and then. For the most part it's become the least credible site in the last 2 years. I actually saw this the day before along with Derek Forest's article below it. Evidently this is a new EIC and hopefully one who will be gone soon.

That being said the GN video was hilarious to watch as they tore down the article sentence by sentence.

Honestly, it has to be satirical, there is zero way anybody took this serious, for an editor the article is rough around the edges......they can't be shilling as he even he said their writter quoted to wait for benchmarks before deciding....

I really can't see anybody taking this seriously....
.it's like he is trolling because everybody did exactly what the media told them not to do which was preorder.

It should be pointed out that on the 22nd they also released an article urging people to not buy the new cards until after release. Both are opinion pieces, I am not sure why this is such a big deal.

It's a big deal because this is the editor-in-chief who also called his own writer who penned the earlier article a price-panicked pundit.

If this is really how he feels then he should have added an editor's note at the end of the original article, not throw his writer under the bus a few days later.

I have an Nvidia Titan Xp, Made a killing selling my Radeon Vega 64 (which I bought when it first came out) during the bitcoin mining craze and was able to essentially do a 1:1 swap. Until I see my frame rate tank (and I'm using a 1440p monitor and have no need for a 4K monitor), I'll wait...

It's a big deal because this is the editor-in-chief who also called his own writer who penned the earlier article a price-panicked pundit.

If this is really how he feels then he should have added an editor's note at the end of the original article, not throw his writer under the bus a few days later.

Just opinions man, everyone has them.

Back