Gamers More Likely to Drink and Ignore Family, Study Says

Sorry I did not see it that way at all and next time my mormon buddy is around, I'll show it to him and personally knowing his sense of humor, he would laugh at it as well.

Ok, you do that, and I'll tell my black friends the latest racist jokes I've heard and that will make those jokes ok right? But nice try at justifying the comment by associating yourself with Mormon friends.

People obviously know that incest is not tied to mormon culture but it is used here to show that saying that things like alcohol, drug abuse, and violence are inherently tied to gaming culture is just as ludicrous. It was a joke on studies like this and how wordplay with statistics can be reworded to show anything you want.

The study didn't say drug abuse and violence are inherently tied to video game use. You can't just go changing the study's arguments to try to back up your points.

The quote by 7718 wasn't taking the studies text and rewriting it to show how ludicrously it was written; it was taking a cheap shots at the school and the religion in order to divert attention away from the study itself.

As I stated again and again in my post, that was my personal opinion gathered from things I have read over the years and in heresay from my friends.

well thats certainly more informed than a study of near 1000 people :rolleyes: All the people that say so much negative things about the Restorationalist religion have never attended a LDS Church nor had significant interaction with LDS members. Instead form the opinion that they're all polygamous white supremacists, based on speculation and propaganda. Wheras racism and polygamy are both grounds for excommunication.

Plus, it's not like anyone came out and said, gaming is evil, God has told us via revelation that gaming should be banned.

Speaking of ignorant comments....

Thanks for assuming that our whole HardForum community is gaming related and only focuses on gamers. :p

I don't think that is such an invalid comment. I'd say a significant proportion of [H] are gamers... I take this from the severe lack of linux users around here...

gamers=windows
programmers=linux

Ok, you do that, and I'll tell my black friends the latest racist jokes I've heard and that will make those jokes ok right? But nice try at justifying the comment by associating yourself with Mormon friends.

I'm saying you should stop taking things so seriously. Smart people know how to laugh at themselves and see the world for what it is. I talk about my friends because I want to disband the notion mormons are so strict or stiff about issues. They know how to have a good time and yet are also wonderful people with strong morals and a good sense of humor. It's those ones who are too fundamentally religious or too obsessed with political correctness who stir the pot.

bull fucking shit i dont fucking drink or smoke or do drugs and i game all teh fuckign tiem fucking faggot ass scientists dont know shit but yeah my self is amd low lmfao!

Coffee for the morning gaming sessions, and energy drinks for the afternoon ones.

Nothing wrong with that. :p

Coffee for the morning gaming sessions, and energy drinks for the afternoon ones.

unless you're actually a mormon, in which case coffee is out too! we're not to fond of energy drinks either (though allowed)... :eek:

BYU = Mormon Religious College.

Drinking and Gaming is the Debil! What saddens me is crap like this will get HUGE publicity when it's just biased material at best..

Hey, if your gonna bring em', bring em' young. That is what I always say.

I won't pretend I've read all seven pages of this thread; I'm far too drunk to maintain a coherent train of thought for that long.

See, I always thought it was because I was an Irish writer (double whammy) that I drank so much. Now I understand that it was all those sessions of Megaman 2 during my formative years. That's cleared so much up, maybe I should call my ex and explain to her that it was really Miyamoto's fault.

Now if only someone could tell me why I like a good cigar every now and then.

I gotta agree with the other guy (though i didnt see what the joke was). Jokes is jokes. bigotry is bigotry. For example, I loved the episode of South Park where they absolutely ripped the crap out of Mormons, it was hillarious, one of my favorite episodes, and I'm Mormon. Mainly because they still showed the faith in a positive light, but made fun of the story of how Joseph Smith recieved revelation from God, which admittedly is a bit hard to swallow, a definate hurdle to new converts. Though, if i was a scientologist :p i'm sure i wouldnt have liked the Scientology South Park episode!! :eek::eek::eek:

If you feel to uncomfortable to tell your 'racist' joke to a black person, then you probably shouldnt say it to anyone. I tell 'racist' jokes to my friends of that particular ethnicity, but they know I don't harbour any resentment towards them so its all ok. Being mixed-race myself, its a bit hard to be percieved as racist anyways. :p

And comments like these make it seem like certain gamers have no sense of humor or sense of irony when the previous comment was a cleverly constructed bit of witty humor and social commentary.

Jon Stewart is witty.

That wasn't witty. And maybe I'm just old balls now, but it certainly wasn't very funny either.

oh re-read the thread, saw the so-called 'joke' while it didnt seem particularly malicious, it certainly lacked any scrap of wit. I mean if you're going to make a joke about somebody, use the CORRECT stereotype. That stereotype is for rednecks not mormons you goose.

This article in the Telegraph might elicit some strong responses with our readership. A study conducted at Brigham Young University in Utah has concluded that regular gamers are more likely to drink alcohol, stop talking to family, have lower self-esteem, and use drugs. ‘Scuse me while I go get a beer, ignore my kids, smoke a bowl, and be all emo on my Myspace page. :rolleyes:

Sorry Terry, i can't read garbage by some random study done by a random university in one city Utah.

1.)My dad plays command and conquer, mom plays puzzle games like bejewled, fishdom, ect. and use to be an everquest player! my brothers and myself constantly look for co-op games to get together online and play. We are all getting older, busy and wish we had time to just "get together," but who does in today's world of crap.

2.)Low self esteem has nothing to do with video games then the person themselves. Its just a correlation that some gamers have low self esteem, if this was scientific they would have picked that up.

3.)use drugs....[sarcasm] i always shoot up some meth before playing an MMO, it gives it a better experience.[/sarcasm]

From the words from a small town morning talk show "This country is going to hell in a hand basket."

Sorry Terry, i can't read garbage by some random study done by a random university in one city Utah.

But that won't stop you from commenting on the study you couldn't bother to read. Also, BYU is nationally recognized as an excellent school; it is not some random university.

1.)My dad plays command and conquer, mom plays puzzle games like bejewled, fishdom, ect. and use to be an everquest player! my brothers and myself constantly look for co-op games to get together online and play. We are all getting older, busy and wish we had time to just "get together," but who does in today's world of crap.

The study isn't about adults, like your parents, and their gaming habits. The study was conducted using survey data from young people aged (roughly) 18 to 22 in a college setting, away from home (mostly), so that means it doesn't directly apply to kids living at home with siblings, like yourself.

2.)Low self esteem has nothing to do with video games then the person themselves. Its just a correlation that some gamers have low self esteem, if this was scientific they would have picked that up.

What data are you basing this conclusion on? Have you extensively studied the subject, or are you just expressing the way you feel about the subject? Is it possible that video games further hurt someone with image and self esteem problems or is that entirely impossible?

Say a chubby kid isn't very popular at school and goes home and plays video games all day as he has few friends. Playing video games leads a sedentary life style, he get's chubbier and picked on at school more leading to even lower self esteem. The video games didn't make him have low self esteem nor did they make him fat but they would certainly have been a factor. Understanding that relationship could be important in defending video games from useless laws and regulation. It could also be helpful in educating young people and their parents.

From the words from a small town morning talk show "This country is going to hell in a hand basket."

This quote has to do what with the results of the study exactly?

I mean it's still detrimental to health but not as bad as alcohol and smoking, right? ;)

Most likley both, these guys are staring at a blank screen for the ad.

Either that or it's an aftermarket controller.

On the news the other day they were talking about video games and they actually had a stock photograph up that was so old that it had Super Mario 3 and an NES on it!

I don't drink (not really my thing) but I see nothing wrong with smokin a bowl and playing some games after a hard day's work :)

Rubbish - I could argue that gamers and internet-power-users, in general, are more social and less prone to drugs than the teen who hangs out with friends at sporting events and the sort. Most people aren't worth socializing with on any meaningful level - which is why expanding the selection pool is so critical to finding decent friends.

Actually my son playing WOW all the time has kept him away from drugs and some the kids using drugs that he used to hang out with. Maybe he spends a lot of time playing the game and not socializing but I'd rather have him doing that then doing drugs.
These people that write these studies probably have no kids or any experience raising kids.

This is obviously a bias study that targeted gamers and tried to find "other common flaws". The reality is that people who drink, use drugs, and ignore their family are more likely to play video games, and not the other way around.

This study just sounds like more BS anti-video game propaganda. Even by the study's own admission there is no clear evidence that gaming caused these issues:

Prof Walker said that it was still unclear whether playing computer games caused other social problems, or were merely a symptom of them.

The fact that they categorize drinking alcohol and using cannabis as "social problems" simply supports the opinion that I share with most of the previous posters.

Besides, any article on this topic that starts off its quotes with...

"The most striking part is that everything we found clustered around video game use is negative," said Prof Laura Walker, from Brigham Young University, in Utah, who led the study.

...is obviously not very thorough and likely bogus (in my opinion). Anyway, here's a more constructive (and less bias) study on video game use by teenagers that looks at both sides of the coin:

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/PIP_Teens_Games_and_Civics_Report_FINAL.pdf

Back