Gamers More Likely to Drink and Ignore Family, Study Says

"The most striking part is that everything we found clustered around religious beliefs are negative," said most intelligent people capable of critical thinking. They say previous studies had only examined the issue of believing in fairy tales but added: "It appears mormonism is related to a host of other negative outcomes such as constructing a strawman out of video games and blaming all of the world's ills on gaming."

See, I can make shit up too!

Thats awesome. Good social commentary. You should consider writing. That was very well written. :)

Maybe instead of attacking researchers and the fact that they come from a Mormon school (oh noes! not teh Mormons!) we could help find ways to help researchers understand our community better. In other words we could do a lot more good for public perception of gamers and our fellow gamers with problems if we'd work with the researchers rather than screaming and crying every time a study like this comes out.

Constructive criticism takes real effort though. It's much easier to shoot the messenger.

I think that people looking to ignore there family go to games not the other way around. Also the study probably had more to do with college and alcohol than games and alcohol.

PS I am also very impressed at the immediate knee jerk respones related to Utah and Mormons, way to take the high road.

GF would get pissed off when I played FC2 MP and ignored her. So, I got her in on the action and she loves it. Bottom-line, get them involved if they haven't tried it out before.

BTW- This girl is the last girl in the world that would play computer games...Think "TheHills" on MTV. :)

The one thing that I gained from this article:

Why the fuck would anyone attend BYU.

You're an idiot. Or at least your comment is very stupid. BYU has one of the best business schools in the country, sub $2000 tuition, and great facilities.

Peter is right. BYU is known nationwide as a great school to get an MBA at. I've met many BYU grad's (and most are successful) There might be a correlation.

here is the thing. We are at a huge generation gap and the previous generations are having this horrible time dealing with it. Do you think the researchers are in their 20's or 30's. honestly for the most part i doubt it. Also its BYU, which is discreditably incarnate when it comes to a study like this. All those things are evil to them. So no big surprise here. Its like corporate/govt funded studies that give the research team the answer they need to conclude before the study starts.

Still it goes to the generation gap, 80 years ago people just drank drank just he same. the only difference now is a wealth of technology and ignoring...well IF there is even basis for that its because of the technology gap,

another one of those sensationalist stories that are total crap. The anti game bandwagon only flies because its only VERY recently that gamers have grown up and started entering into positions where they are able to successfully de-scapegoat the culture and hobby. Though that leaves me to wonder what will be the next target.

I can't say I disagree with this assessment when specifically talking about the small sample (of a much larger population) that I run across on Live. There's always at least two guys in a 8 person match who talk about getting another beer or how stoned they are.

Obviously this is a very small sample when it comes to statistics, but it's definitely there. I also think the perception that video games used to have vs. now also has a lot to do with that as well. Back in the day, video game players were nerdy, geeky kids (especially, computer games). The "cool people" wouldn't have been caught dead at a local arcade (man I miss those). Now, it's the hip thing to do with spare time so you have a lot of kids who couldn't program a coffee maker, playing these games.

BTW, the people critiquing the source, need to pull their heads out of their asses and realize, that most religious based schools are just private universities and receive their money from tuition and donations (as compared to state schools who receive government money). That' s the only difference. Sure, there may be religion classes taught, but that doesn't invalidate specific research that was done on a given subject.

Cool. Up on the next obvious research report.... Classic American (Harley, Chopper, etc) bikers are more likley to drink and fight in a bar, Study Says.

I hate these studies, they take a group and focus it on the common relationship (gaming) and assume that it's some sort of trend/statistic. People who play games are not more likley to drink and ignore family, the people who drink and ignore family are participants in video games and happen to make up a statistical portion of the gaming scene.

This hardly seems like they set out with a biased agenda to attack video games. The researchers both own and play video games themselves. The fact that Mormons abstain from alcohol isn't relevant. That would be like saying "We can't trust this information that says X demographic steals more than the control group because the information was gleaned from a study conducted by Catholics, and Catholics are strictly against stealing."

Here is the study's abstract:

Simply reading the professor's conclusions lead me to see a very thinly veiled agenda here. I'm certain that you'll find a host of other published studies from accredited institutions finding positive things about videogaming. This professor goes out of her way to say that EVERYTHING about or even midly associated or "clustered" around gaming behavior is extremely destructive.

"The most striking part is that everything we found clustered around video game use is negative," said Prof Laura Walker, from Brigham Young University, in Utah, who led the study. She said previous studies had only examined the issue of aggression but added: "It appears video games are related to a host of other negative outcomes."

You can read more about the study here:
http://byunews.byu.edu/archive09-Jan-videogames.aspx

here is the thing. We are at a huge generation gap and the previous generations are having this horrible time dealing with it. Do you think the researchers are in their 20's or 30's. honestly for the most part i doubt it. Also its BYU, which is discreditably incarnate when it comes to a study like this.

Why is BYU not a credible source of information? Is it because it is a Mormon school? What basis do you have for making this accusation? If you want to discuss bias, let's also include the massive biases present in this forum. Most of us are steady gamers. Any chance we could be the biased ones in this situation? Hell, none of us (that I know of anyway) have run studies on 800+ young adults about the positive effects of video games.

All those things are evil to them. So no big surprise here. Its like corporate/govt funded studies that give the research team the answer they need to conclude before the study starts.

This study isn't coming from a moral standpoint saying what the young people are doing is "evil." What the researchers are attempting to do is understand the relationship (if any) that exists between playing video games and engaging in high risk behavior (sex, drinking and drug use). Referring to these activities as high risk is normal, even outside of BYU.

another one of those sensationalist stories that are total crap. The anti game bandwagon only flies because its only VERY recently that gamers have grown up and started entering into positions where they are able to successfully de-scapegoat the culture and hobby. Though that leaves me to wonder what will be the next target.

Studies like these have value. These researchers aren't Jack Thompson. They are trying to understand video gaming and the possibly negative effects it can have on young adult development. This is very similar to people trying to understand the possibly negative effects of urban sprawl, or landfills, or pollution, etc.

Simply reading the professor's conclusions lead me to see a very thinly veiled agenda here. I'm certain that you'll find a host of other published studies from accredited institutions finding positive things about videogaming. This professor goes out of her way to say that EVERYTHING about or even midly associated or "clustered" around gaming behavior is extremely destructive.

"[Alex] Jensen [the study's co-author] had hoped to find some positive results as justification for playing Madden NFL."

source: http://byunews.byu.edu/archive09-Jan-videogames.aspx

Yeah, such a thinly veiled agenda to discredit video games and gamers.

Normally I would say this was a biased study, but in reality it is just a biased news article... The headline and the first 3/4's of the article make it sound like gaming is a tool of the devil, but then you get to the statement below, which makes it clear the authors do not think gaming is a major cause of social ills:

"Prof Walker said that it was still unclear whether playing computer games caused other social problems, or were merely a symptom of them.

"It may be that young adults remove themselves from important social settings to play video games, or that people who already struggle with relationships are trying to find other ways to spend their time," she said. "My guess is that it's some of both and becomes circular.""

As you can see, the author of the study believes something I think most of us can agree on, that gamers on average are slightly less social and slightly more addictive than the average population. Of course any given individual gamer needs to be viewed individually, but talking pure averages this is clearly the case, and not that big a deal.

gamers_beer_1245542c.jpg

Anyone else notice that they're playing Nintendo 64? Probably why they're drinking so much cuz they can't afford Xbox360.

No no no. They're drinking so much because they need massive beer goggles for the N64 graphics to look good. You've got it backwards, the amount their spending on drinks to make the N64 look good is what is preventing them from getting a 360. Though I wonder if these are more the Wii-type people. I mean, an iMac display? C'mon!

The study itself seems fairly straight-forward and neutral, and discloses the limitation of the sample population. The causality appears to have been introduced through the selected excerpts and interpretation offered by the reporter, Kate Devlin.

I think in this case, the symptom is "news reporting" has been replaced by "editorial writing" /hijack

It's not the gaming that causes the problem. It's the fact that people who are social maladroits are probably going to turn to gaming to pass the time.

Think of it this way: if I claimed that studies say that those who eat ice cream in large amounts are more likely to become obese, perhaps some people may point fingers at the ice cream companies and scream "Ice cream is baaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaad! You made Rosie O'Donnell fat!" All they see is that large amounts of ice cream happened to be a common component in the rotund woman's culinary lineup.

However, where such a study fails, is that it ignores the possibility that Rosie O'Donnell, who just happened to consume massive quantities of such frozen treats, already had bad dietary habits from the beginning, and that if you had removed ice cream from the menu, she would have stuffed her oversized yap with something else, be it Fettucini Alfredo, pizza, cupcakes, Twinkies, etc.

Thus, reverse causation arguments are generally invalid.

Electronic Arts, Valve, et al., are not responsible for increased alcoholism, or family ignoring. If you took away video games, such individuals would simply find another way of expressing themselves, and the behavior would probably stay the same.

Well, all my friends (except for the ones in the military) smoke weed, drink beer/liquor and play videogames. The only ones depressed are the ones not getting laid! I was going to say "a recent study found that 90% of students at Brigham Young University were confused about there sexuality and had a history of incestual relationships with there first cousins" but somebody already pretty much paraphrased that.

gamers_beer_1245542c.jpg

Anyone else notice that they're playing Nintendo 64? Probably why they're drinking so much cuz they can't afford Xbox360.

That sure as shit isn't an N64 controller on the left

looks almost like, a corded 360 controller, or maybe gamecube?

That sure as shit isn't an N64 controller on the left

looks almost like, a corded 360 controller, or maybe gamecube?

Most likley both, these guys are staring at a blank screen for the ad.

Either that or it's an aftermarket controller.

I was going to say "a recent study found that 90% of students at Brigham Young University were confused about there sexuality and had a history of incestual relationships with there first cousins" but somebody already pretty much paraphrased that.

Comments like this only go towards proving the point that video games make the players more socially maladjusted. Congratulations on making our whole gaming community look ignorant and bigoted.

The one thing that I gained from this article:

Why the fuck would anyone attend BYU.

Not me and I live in Utah and am an active Mormon. They are way to stringent in my opinion.

I dont drink/smoke/drugs. and am happily married and have a kid. I do spend time playing video games by myself but am smart enough to know when its affecting my family. (when I am not my wife reminds me :) )

I do believe that some people have an issue with video games and what they do in their lives. we all have a friend that quit everything they were doing to stay home to become a "professional halo player" or that are so rapped up in WOW that you cant pull them away from their console/PC.

I think some people are just more vulnerable to being addicted to things and they are looking for a "way out of reality"

Comments like this only go towards proving the point that video games make the players more socially maladjusted. Congratulations on making our whole gaming community look ignorant and bigoted.

Speaking of ignorant comments....

Thanks for assuming that our whole HardForum community is gaming related and only focuses on gamers. :p

And comments like these make it seem like certain gamers have no sense of humor or sense of irony when the previous comment was a cleverly constructed bit of witty humor and social commentary.

Look, the study is flawed because they are making the classic error of conflating cause and effect. Because gaming activies correlate to what some would call negative social behaviors, this study concludes that gaming is the cause of these issues and not some underlying issue which is plainly obvious to anybody with even the slightest bit of common sense.

And no, I don't readily accept studies from BYU as legitimately or as tacitly as I would other accredited and scientifically published studies but that is a personal opinion based on many other things I have read about them over the years. And I am someone who has a dozen mormon friends and even one who went there. Again, that is a personal opinion but I think there is a significant consensus here that the study is flawed (at least from what we are reading). That said, we are a group of gamers defending our activity so there is also inherent bias here but we aren't making any claims that our opinions are validly proven scientific conclusions to be published in scholarly journals.

Total garbage study.

It's not the gaming that causes the problem. It's the fact that people who are social maladroits are probably going to turn to gaming to pass the time.

Think of it this way: if I claimed that studies say that those who eat ice cream in large amounts are more likely to become obese, perhaps some people may point fingers at the ice cream companies and scream "Ice cream is baaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaad! You made Rosie O'Donnell fat!" All they see is that large amounts of ice cream happened to be a common component in the rotund woman's culinary lineup.

However, where such a study fails, is that it ignores the possibility that Rosie O'Donnell, who just happened to consume massive quantities of such frozen treats, already had bad dietary habits from the beginning, and that if you had removed ice cream from the menu, she would have stuffed her oversized yap with something else, be it Fettucini Alfredo, pizza, cupcakes, Twinkies, etc.

Thus, reverse causation arguments are generally invalid.

Electronic Arts, Valve, et al., are not responsible for increased alcoholism, or family ignoring. If you took away video games, such individuals would simply find another way of expressing themselves, and the behavior would probably stay the same.

I agree with this.

Look, the study is flawed because they are making the classic error of conflating cause and effect. Because gaming activies correlate to what some would call negative social behaviors, this study concludes that gaming is the cause of these issues and not some underlying issue which is plainly obvious to anybody with even the slightest bit of common sense.

Reading your statements makes me think you didn't even bother reading any of the material published on BYU's website (http://byunews.byu.edu/archive09-Jan-videogames.aspx). The researchers never stated a direct cause and effect relationship. Instead they noted that low self esteem, increased risk behavior and anti social behavior were all related to video game playing.

"And despite heavy involvement with the research, Jensen does not admit the results to his own family. For now he holds out hope that future research will exonerate consoles or games designed for multiple players."

And no, I don't readily accept studies from BYU as legitimately or as tacitly as I would other accredited and scientifically published studies but that is a personal opinion based on many other things I have read about them over the years. And I am someone who has a dozen mormon friends and even one who went there.

I live in Utah and work with several people who attended BYU. How is my (or your) knowing Mormons and BYU students in any way relevant to the discussion here? Also, perhaps you can expand further upon what you have read about BYU (with sources) that would make you believe the school is unable to provide accurate, unbiased data.

gaming interferes with family.
Family Interferes with drinking.
Drinking Interferes with Gaming.

I guess my life is a circle.

I live in Utah and work with several people who attended BYU. How is my (or your) knowing Mormons and BYU students in any way relevant to the discussion here? Also, perhaps you can expand further upon what you have read about BYU (with sources) that would make you believe the school is unable to provide accurate, unbiased data.

As I stated again and again in my post, that was my personal opinion gathered from things I have read over the years and in heresay from my friends, some with personal experience there and at Rick's College as well. It does not bear repeating here as it is heresay. In the end, I don't agree with your position at all, that gamers have to somehow "meet the challenge" of respectability. There is no point in kowtowing to such studies and the media outlets who propagate these stories about gaming.

As I stated again and again in my post, that was my personal opinion gathered from things I have read over the years and in heresay from my friends, some with personal experience there and at Rick's College as well. It does not bear repeating here as it is heresay. In the end, I don't agree with your position at all, that gamers have to somehow "meet the challenge" of respectability. There is no point in kowtowing to such studies and the media outlets who propagate these stories about gaming.

There is a big difference between respectfully debating an issue and writing this:

7718 said:
I was going to say "a recent study found that 90% of students at Brigham Young University were confused about there sexuality and had a history of incestual relationships with there first cousins" but somebody already pretty much paraphrased that.

And then backing it up with

Spare-Flair said:
And comments like these make it seem like certain gamers have no sense of humor or sense of irony when the previous comment was a cleverly constructed bit of witty humor and social commentary.

The comment is neither witty humor nor social commentary. It is a blatant attempt to smear a religious group in order to divert attention away from a study's findings.

The comment is neither witty humor nor social commentary. It is a blatant attempt to smear a religious group in order to divert attention away from a study's findings.

Sorry I did not see it that way at all and next time my mormon buddy is around, I'll show it to him and personally knowing his sense of humor, he would laugh at it as well. Don't take things so seriously. It's not a religious attack, it's sarcasm and parody - taking the words from this article and rewriting them around stereotypes to show how ludicrously it was written. People obviously know that incest is not tied to mormon culture but it is used here to show that saying that things like alcohol, drug abuse, and violence are inherently tied to gaming culture is just as ludicrous. It was a joke on studies like this and how wordplay with statistics can be reworded to show anything you want.

An article saying gaming is bad? Gamers refuting an article saying gaming is bad? Bigotry directed towards mormons? Nothing new.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

If I throw a beer at my LCD am I proving them right?

What about those choice gamers that live in their parent's basement? Pretty hard to ignore your family then, eh Mr. Polygamy Pants??

Brigham Young University eh? Isn't that where Michael Jackson goes crusin for action?

BA-DA BAMP!!!

Back