Gamers Love Call of Duty 15's New Loot Boxes

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
After a 4 month absence, loot boxes have finally come to Black Ops 4, and players couldn't be happier... Just kidding. Call of Duty fans in the game's subreddits and other communities aren't pleased with the new microtransaction changes, to say the least, and Eurogamer's writeup on the system largely reflects the opinion of other CoD playing journalists across the web. The publication says that Black Ops 4's crate system "feels particularly grubby," as they don't display probabilities and sometimes contain duplicate items. Additionally, some of the rewards affect gameplay and progression, and some weapons are only attainable through opening loot boxes.

Much of the anger at these loot boxes stems from the growing feeling that Black Ops 4 is buckling under the pressure to generate more money for publisher Activision. Here we have a full price video game with a userbase-splitting آ£39.99 season pass for DLC maps, a take on Fortnite's incredibly successful battle pass called the Contraband progression system, the ability to pay to complete tiers on the Contraband progression system, Special Orders you can pay real world money for, individual cosmetic items you can spend real world money on directly, and even reticles as microtransactions. It's convoluted, confused and inescapably money-grabbing - and it's also a real shame as the core game underneath all these alternative revenue streams remains fantastic. Indeed, the controversy around loot boxes threatens to overshadow the meaningful changes made this week to Blackout, Black Ops 4's battle royale, which feels like it's being squeezed between Respawn's Apex Legends and the ongoing popularity of Fortnite and PUBG as Treyarch struggles to freshen up the experience often enough.

Sometimes contain duplicates? Someone bought all the items until there were no more, and there are 900+ items, yet somehow, I'm getting duplicate after duplicate at just 100 items found.

Good on Activision for trying to rebound after 2018's disappointing revenues.

Nice turnaround, I was about to say...are these "gamers" perchance on Activision's payroll?

From the looks of things, they aren't, and neither are we. HardOCP does not accept COD Points as a valid form of payment.

Sometimes contain duplicates? Someone bought all the items until there were no more, and there are 900+ items, yet somehow, I'm getting duplicate after duplicate at just 100 items found.

I almost know the feeling. The last loot box I opened was in Mass Effect 3 MP (which was a "pioneer" in the PC lootbox world), and those crates would give duplicates too. Fortunatey, getting a duplicate of a gun would at least level it up, and you'd stop getting duplicates after level 10, but it still made the process of getting higher-tier or useful items unnecessarily difficult.

Maybe people should just vote with their wallet.
That's the thing. When reviews came out there were no MT. Now that it is a hit they sneak them back in. Still people especially kids that have their parents CC can't control themselves. People are kidding themselves with Anthem thinking l00t boxes and stuff won't making it in eventually if it becomes a hit. If it doesn't then they will kill it off in a year.

Just another reason to not play Call of Doody.

I know I never will. I didn't even need any more reasons.

Activision ........... It is a sad day when I look to an EA title and say, "Why can't you do it more like this!"

That said the model EA has taken for Anthem is good, all 100% cosmetic with 0 changes in game-play and all earnable with in-game currency, the more friends you have and the more achievements you unlock in a given week the more you earn so you can earn with out even playing.

Activision ........... It is a sad day when I look to an EA title and say, "Why can't you do it more like this!"

That said the model EA has taken for Anthem is good, all 100% cosmetic with 0 changes in game-play and all earnable with in-game currency, the more friends you have and the more achievements you unlock in a given week the more you earn so you can earn with out even playing.
Like I said earlier. You a fool if you think EA won't pull same bull shit if Anthem catches on.

Treyarch and Activision's final push at one last money grab on the sinking ship of COD BO4. Pretty sure Treyarch has abandoned development of the game. The amount of new content released since launch has been dismal. Hell, COD WW2 is still getting new, better content than BO4.

Treyarch and Activision's final push at one last money grab on the sinking ship of COD BO4. Pretty sure Treyarch has abandoned development of the game. The amount of new content released since launch has been dismal. Hell, COD WW2 is still getting new, better content than BO4.

A new update hit the PS4 on Tuesday I read. Coming to Xbox and PC soon.

I've been playing about 4 weeks now I think? I love the game. And hate it at the same time. (CoD:UO is my FPS holy grail)

I don't pay ANY attention to all these CoD points and tiering and all that shit. It's totally confusing to a legacy gamer like myself. I just jump in the game and frag the best I can.

It was the 4th best selling game in US in Jan. I don't think its sinking at all. They're not doing this as "one last money grab" they're doing it specifically because the game is already making a lot of money and they want it to make even more.

This is the part I don't get.

In 2019, what parents are dumb enough to let their kids have their credit card number stored in their electronic accounts?

People astound me.

That's probably not necessary since kids can just grab cash and buy cards at grocery stores at 7-11 for various system currency or just straight up visa cards.

There's probably some industry secret statistic for this, but if even for only every 10 people who want nothing to do with the things you get one "whale" who blows $500 on loot boxes, they're more than happy.

Like I said earlier. You a fool if you think EA won't pull same bull shit if Anthem catches on.
I hope they don't they have been taken to task by a few Countries, Disney, and now their Shareholders, so I am hoping it changes their ways a little. We'll see but so far so good.

There's probably some industry secret statistic for this, but if even for only every 10 people who want nothing to do with the things you get one "whale" who blows $500 on loot boxes, they're more than happy.

It's hardly a secret:

microtransactions-a-love-story-42-728.jpg

That's a slide straight from this old Unity presentation.

I hope they don't they have been taken to task by a few Countries, Disney, and now their Shareholders, so I am hoping it changes their ways a little. We'll see but so far so good.

They just won't include loot boxes in countries where its illegal. Either that or they'll skip loot boxes and just implement pay-to-win microtransactions in the game. Either way, if Anthem does well and makes them money they will try to find ways to make even more money.

That's probably not necessary since kids can just grab cash and buy cards at grocery stores at 7-11 for various system currency or just straight up visa cards.

Cash? Who still uses cash in this day and age. Damn kid at 7-11 probably won't know how to give you change.

I love COD Black Ops 4 ... especially Blackout, their BR. It's amazing. Highly polished.

The PS4 has 100x more people playing Blackout than on the PC.

Apex Legends is little more than a Mobile Game ... its ok but it's very very basic. It's fun but lot of guys are already tired of it.

Cash? Who still uses cash in this day and age. Damn kid at 7-11 probably won't know how to give you change.
When you want to keep buying prepaid cards and don't want mommy and daddy to know where the money went, you use cash.

It's hardly a secret:

View attachment 143231

That's a slide straight from this old Unity presentation.

lol, I mean it's obvious whales exist but I said what, 10:1? Damn, that's more like 6:1. So yeah, doesn't matter how many of us refuse to spend money on the damn things, there's plenty of people out there more than making up for us refusing to fork over cash and it's not like it'll change any time soon so long as they can keep doing it.

They just won't include loot boxes in countries where its illegal. Either that or they'll skip loot boxes and just implement pay-to-win microtransactions in the game. Either way, if Anthem does well and makes them money they will try to find ways to make even more money.
More compelling skins and cosmetics will work, it always does. I mean I would drop cash for a superman cape or face scarf at this point.

lol, I mean it's obvious whales exist but I said what, 10:1? Damn, that's more like 6:1. So yeah, doesn't matter how many of us refuse to spend money on the damn things, there's plenty of people out there more than making up for us refusing to fork over cash and it's not like it'll change any time soon so long as they can keep doing it.

There was just a story abouty some guy that spent $500 on 500 Apex Legends loot crates in order to get a few specific items. There are a lot of people like that playing these games.

More compelling skins and cosmetics will work, it always does. I mean I would drop cash for a superman cape or face scarf at this point.

Those will get more money but they won't get all the money. These companies don't just want some money from people, they want all the money they can possibly get and more beyond that.

This right here is the problem: "some of the rewards affect gameplay and progression, and some weapons are only attainable through opening loot boxes." You can lootbox graphics and non-gameplay items all day long.

They do and unfortunately gamers are VERY willing to shell out big money for cosmetic items. Which is absurd to me, why blow more money just so you can have a fancy skin on your gun or your outfit. The ONLY bright side is it is cosmetic items. But then again the same people complaining are the same ones shelling out money for this garbage.

Feels like forever ago that people were complaining about hats in games. I think I'd rather go back to the days of horse armor than all the crap going on now.

I would say pre-horse armor, because that seems to be widely regarded as the turning point where micro-transactions got ridiculous.

That's the thing. When reviews came out there were no MT. Now that it is a hit they sneak them back in. Still people especially kids that have their parents CC can't control themselves. People are kidding themselves with Anthem thinking l00t boxes and stuff won't making it in eventually if it becomes a hit. If it doesn't then they will kill it off in a year.

I need to see some sources around this "Kids with their parents CC" because I think it is 99% garbage. It's time for people to accept that it is fully grown adults making these decisions to buy loot boxes. We love to blame the infamous 12 year old boogeyman for everything, but there just aren't that many parents handing over their Credit Cards to their kids.

As long as there are people lining up for smash that buy button, This is the new norm from mainstream publishers. It will be in any game they invest in, and is changing the gaming experience today. I've boycotted so many games in the last year I've lost count.

Full disclosure: I didn't read the whole thread.

Some say kids can buy gift card to circumvent not having access to daddy's CC. On PS4 you can set how much $$$ per month a parental controlled account can spend on PSN. I assume this is also true on XBOX.
Now on PC, probably possible if it was installed from Windows Store ?

Anyway, parents NEED to learn how to setup Kid account and parental control on ALL systems. I'm pretty sure you can do that on Epic (Fortnite) too.

Anyway, loot box should be banned OR allowed as long as you CANT buy game credit with real money (or crypto LOL)

EDIT: Make age verification mandatory and allow us to "check" Do not play with hyped teenagers that will yell all the new kinky words they learnt that day... I'm only 33 and can't deal with that anymore lol

That's a nasty reply to a very reasonable post.

I see most of your posts are complaining about how people talk here. Since you are new here, let you in a on a secret. People here are blunt and don't really beat around the bush about things. Just block someone if it bothers you, but don't lower the bar with "don't call people names!".

He is right though, to think EA is the gold standard of what is right is foolish and setting oneself up for disappointment. Anthem already is setup with the storefront to become the same thing, just because the first few only items on the store can also be bought with game money, doesn't mean it will stay that way. $20 iron man suits next month that can only be bought with money and they would make a killing. Watch this game will quickly decay into looking like fortnite with its crazy costumes.

Back