Gamers Involved in December’s Swatting Death Just Got Indicted

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Back in January we passed on news that Tyler Barriss allegedly made a swatting call that resulted in the death of a person who wasn't even gaming. Mr. Barriss was charged with manslaughter by Kansas authorities and is awaiting trial on the charges. However, that's not all the legal jeopardy that he's in because he and two of his friends have been charged by the Feds. Hopefully, the Feds put them away for a long while and then let Kansas have their turn for some more time in the hoosegow. Swatting needs to be severely punished and it looks like that's going to happen now.

At a Wednesday news conference, US attorney Stephen McAllister said that the prosecutions are intended to send a message about the practice of swatting. "It is not a joke or a prank. It is a federal crime, and it puts peoples' lives at risk." McAllister said that, of the three men, Barriss is facing the most serious charges.

Look that that weaselly sack of sh1t. Stuff likes this makes me want to force every gamer to put their full contact info when playing any multiplayer game. Sometimes "bullying" is justified.

So he is being charge with murder in the 3rd. Would a situation grant an attempted murder charge against the swatter? If a shot is fired and woulds the victim?

Not sure I see the wire fraud charge against Gaskill for providing a wrong address when threatened. Seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Bad luck that it turned out to be a real address. Now daring Barriss to make the call, at least rates a negligent homicide charge.

Manslaughter? Should be Murder charges... you call swat over hoping people get gunned down by police.
While the risk of death should be know, I doubt his intent was for someone to die. So this would fall under involuntary manslaughter via "causing death by criminal negligence" Some states classify voluntary or involuntary manslaughter as 3rd degree murder.

While the risk of death should be know, I doubt his intent was for someone to die. So this would fall under involuntary manslaughter via "causing death by criminal negligence" Some states classify voluntary or involuntary manslaughter as 3rd degree murder.

Intent? why not call an ambulance over or a fire truck? pizza or a plumber? No he called SWAT over... cops armed with assault weapons. Intent is for the person to get shot... odds may not be high but it can happen and this time it did.

Intent? why not call an ambulance over or a fire truck? pizza or a plumber? No he called SWAT over... cops armed with assault weapons. Intent is for the person to get shot... odds may not be high but it can happen and this time it did.

Looking at these videos, the swatters think it looks cool and funny to have a live stream of someone getting swatted. A few of the streamers don't even seem surprised when it happens. Its as if it comes with the territory. In the case of Barriss, the danger made that next tragic step. So of all the swatting that has occurred, I doubt a majority of the swatters wanted someone to die. They just see it as another type of prank. Also, within the video, some of the live chat has people laughing at the situation.

Last edited:

Looking at these videos, the swatters think it looks cool and funny to have a live stream of someone getting swatted. A few of the streamers don't even seem surprised when it happens. Its as if it comes with the territory. In the case of Barriss, the danger made that next tragic step. So of all the swatting that has occurred, I doubt a majority of the swatters wanted someone to die. They just see it as another type of prank. Also, within the video, some of the live chat has people laughing at the situation.

I wish they would go back and charge all of the swatters in cases where someone didn't die as well.

They are all guilty of the same thing. It's just that in this case the random number generator didn't work in their favor.

I hate this weaselly asshole and I'm glad to see he has to face punishment. But I don't understand the gleeful rape wishes so many people casually post. A prison sentence is punishment enough, and he's removed from society. I wish we'd see more hope that people actually get rehabilitated because guess what, most of them come back to society at some point. And if they were raped and otherwise abused in prison instead of getting a chance to better themselves, as a society we're not gaining anything.

I hate this weaselly asshole and I'm glad to see he has to face punishment. But I don't understand the gleeful rape wishes so many people casually post. A prison sentence is punishment enough, and he's removed from society. I wish we'd see more hope that people actually get rehabilitated because guess what, most of them come back to society at some point. And if they were raped and otherwise abused in prison instead of getting a chance to better themselves, as a society we're not gaining anything.

I don't know that anyone really (literally) wants a prison rape scenario. That is of course just joking. But many think just locking people up for X years does F-all for both society and the person. We're just putting a monster on layaway. We're not fixing him, we're not fixing any root causes.

Something like hard labor for a few years may make a lasting impression on even a slightly broken mind (and I don't think he is truly insane or addled, or similar). Sure, ideally, there would have been some parenting which instilled some empathy and patience, or at least common sense of the greater good. For whatever reason - that failed.

So here we are, what do we do as a civilization to make sure he doesn't do this again, and try to dissuade other slightly broken people from doing the same?

Give him a choice: Shovel or Pickaxe. Then he can start digging the trench for the border wall.

Look at that face. He has the punchable doucheface to go along with the douche behavior.

tyler_barriss-800x435.png

He's broken and should be tossed. Like the defective turrets in Portal 2.

Not sure I see the wire fraud charge against Gaskill for providing a wrong address when threatened. Seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Bad luck that it turned out to be a real address. Now daring Barriss to make the call, at least rates a negligent homicide charge.

I don't think you have read the referenced news articles. The 2nd article stated "Gaskill wasn't impressed with Viner's threat. Gaskill allegedly told Barriss that he lived at 1033 McCormick in Wichita, daring Barriss to swat him. "Please try some shit. I'll be waiting," Gaskill wrote in an electronic message." So he's not feeling any threat at all. He's goading Barriss to swat him. Gaskill also knew that the address was real because he lived there before.

Because those M-4 bullets are more deadly than the AR-15 bullets. You don't enter a hostage situation with the auto select anyway, that's how you kill your hostages.

All three of them need some serious prison time. The caller needs to go away for an extremely long time. It's obvious the idiot has some crazy in him. Who thinks of this shit?

One kid wasn't bullied. The dude he was playing with obviously didn't know his address. He provided a fake one, and caused the death of an individual that was probably interrupted from playing with his balls.

Anyway about it, all three need the book thrown at them. Then the civil penalties. All the $0.05/HR they earn for prison work will go to the victim's family.

What about the cop that opened fire on an unarmed man, on his porch? I agree that the swatter deserves all the punishment thrown his way, but the cop shares blame in this. Nothing will happen on that end, though.

anyone remember (from experience) the game called Pong? I don't recall anyone ever having a mental breakdown like the folks in those videos posted in this thread

What about the cop that opened fire on an unarmed man, on his porch? I agree that the swatter deserves all the punishment thrown his way, but the cop shares blame in this. Nothing will happen on that end, though.

this was the wow part for me , my question is WHY :
He also testified that he didn't see anything in Finch's hands when he shot at him. Initially, Rapp told investigators he believed he saw a gun, according to a report released by Bennett's office in April.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article211760059.html#storylink=cpy

Back