Gamers hate the Epic Game Store but spent $680 million there anyway.

what exactly are you waiting for? so you can play steam? Or play the game? And its not an exclusive if it is available elsewhere. Many of these had playstation or xbox versions.
so this is just a bunch of whining.

The whining about others hating EGS is getting just as bad, not sure why anyone cares if someone else doesn't want to use epic... stop not liking what i like damn it! :p

what exactly are you waiting for? so you can play steam? Or play the game? And its not an exclusive if it is available elsewhere. Many of these had playstation or xbox versions.
No, it's me as a consumer voicing that I don't like this business practice, and buy games on the platform I wish. Even EA sells their games on Steam again.

I have grabbed most of their freebies and spent nothing.

I was going to buy a few games over xmas with their sales. Which where pretty good. (although the fact that their store doesn't show pricing in my local curency is beyond annoying... I mean wtf I don't live in Monaco or something) Anyway long story short I did the normal holiday stuff and logged in to see I just missed it ... shurgged my sholders and gave Steam another 60 bucks.

I would have expected epic to have improved a lot more by now. Who knows perhaps this year they'll give me a reason to give them some money.

So apparently they also pay/compensate the studios for the free games they give out. They are saying 200 million free games have been claimed so far, who knows how much per game they pay out, but even if it was only 1$ (which it would be much higher probably) that would be minimum $200 million yikes.

Probably not much, most of the games aren't worth playing. No offense meant to the developers or people who liked them. But free is free. Only a few high end games tough like the Batman ones.

I still prefer the epic game store for its simple no added crap features I don’t want. I can’t stand the steam store....

I'll take the free games, but still no compelling reason to give them my money.

I do still have that $10 coupon from Xmas, but we'll see if something worthwhile shows up to use it on.

I think you're all on board the anti epic store trend too much. It's just not cool any more to be on that train, and clearly $680 million in sales proves that.

I personally am waiting for the epic store to fold. If it doesn't, too bad, but I still won't use it. It's a matter of principle.

They come into the market, throw a bunch of money around (money they got from the worst possible places as far as I'm concerned), and tell me where can I buy my games from now on and for how much? And I'm supposed to like them? No chance.
I don't care about the lack of features of the launcher, those are just excuses from steam fanboys. I care about fair market practices, integrity and supporting a community. Epic has none of these qualities, and I refuse to do business with such a company.

I think you're all on board the anti epic store trend too much. It's just not cool any more to be on that train, and clearly $680 million in sales proves that.
680 million proves what? That there are lots of turncoats and weak minded people who preach one thing then do another. It doesn't mean there is no reason to reject the epic store. If you do anything to be "cool" you're doing it wrong. I think for myself. And if you disapprove too bad so sad.

Maybe maybe we have no idea how much they made off that or of that is the number they made or the 12 cut they get.

I hated steam on launch, since grew to love it.
Grateful for free games on EGS, always look on there to see if they have a game I'm interested in first but often don't have it.

Don't get the hate, some of you are childish as hell lol.

This. The only thing I hate about egs is that it doesn't have some of the features as steam like forums. Not having any official forum for Mechwarrior 5 sucks bad.

The exclusive crap is shady but at least it's not like console exclusives that prevent me from playing on my preferred platform. Most gamers are sitting around with 16+gb of ram crying about having a second program running

I still prefer the epic game store for its simple no added crap features I don’t want. I can’t stand the steam store....
The steam store is total garbage, has been since they introduces those awful queues and curators. I haven't purchased a single game on steam since they did away with flash sales years ago.

There is no XOR here. It's not that if you dislike epic you must like steam. Or if you like steam you must hate epic. I hate epic on their own independent of all the rest. The difference is that I don't buy games on steam because they have a crap storefront and bad prices. And I don't buy games on epic because they are being jerks to the gaming community.

The steam store is total garbage, has been since they introduces those awful queues and curators. I haven't purchased a single game on steam since they did away with flash sales years ago.

There is no XOR here. It's not that if you dislike epic you must like steam. Or if you like steam you must hate epic. I hate epic on their own independent of all the rest. The difference is that I don't buy games on steam because they have a crap storefront and bad prices. And I don't buy games on epic because they are being jerks to the gaming community.

What's wrong with curators? Without that feature we wouldn't have the hilarity that is waifu hunter https://store.steampowered.com/curator/6862926-Waifu-Hunter/

Reactions: N4CR
like this
$465m from Epic's own games(mostly Fortnite) and $215m from 3rd party titles, based on those numbers and the numbers I've seen for individual games it doesn't seem like they've done well with 3rd party sales despite the paid exclusives.

I was willing to be bribed with free games to use their shitty client but I wouldn't have bought anything unless they actually made the client decent, after they started the nonsense with paid exclusives I uninstalled the client and have no* intention of using it in the future unless they manage to redeem themselves somehow. Speaking of which I still need to pick up Subnautica somewhere else because I really enjoyed it.

*edit

Last edited:
What's wrong with curators? Without that feature we wouldn't have the hilarity that is waifu hunter https://store.steampowered.com/curator/6862926-Waifu-Hunter/
That I haven't seen a game relevant to me on the storefront since they were introduced. I don't specifically have a problem with curators or a curator, I have a problem with how the store algorithm recommends games, because I don't see anything relevant or interesting ever. Not to mention that the steam library became a mess with the overhaul as well. The only reason I'm still using it is because a hack worked that prevents it from updating the interface But as soon as it stops, gog2.0 it is I guess.

Last edited:
That I haven't seen a game relevant to me on the storefront since they were introduced. I don't specifically have a problem with curators or a curator, I have a problem with how the store algorithm recommends games, because I don't see anything relevant or interesting ever. Not to mention that the steam library became a mess with the overhaul as well. The only reason I'm still using it is because a hack worked that prevents it from updating the interface But as soon as it stops, gog2.0 it is I guess.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you complaining because Steam isn't recommending games that you want to play? I don't know what that has to do with the curator feature. Personally I don't even look at that part of the store. I just check new/trending and top sellers. If I'm really desperate for something to play I'll dive into the section for a specific genre or tag.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you complaining because Steam isn't recommending games that you want to play? I don't know what that has to do with the curator feature. Personally I don't even look at that part of the store. I just check new/trending and top sellers. If I'm really desperate for something to play I'll dive into the section for a specific genre or tag.
I don't know how else do you want me to describe it? The games that come up in my feed in the store are of no interest to me. It wasn't like that before, it was worth clicking on the store page, now it is not worth it. I can't go any simpler than that.

Strong thread.

See here: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/epic-games-store-weekly-free-games-in-2020

nearly 2/3 of that was first party games ... namely fortnite, the other 1/3 is probably borderlands and metro exodus

Steam was already topping 4 billion per year as of 2017.. Epic is nowhere near that even with the colossus that is fortnite.

I agree that epic launcher is ugly, lacking features, and the exclusives are severe butt. But come on, of all the people who hate epic, how many hate Unreal Engine enough to boycott it? Probably near 0, so Epic gets paid anyway. And of the few thousand people who vocally hate epic for their behavior, there are ??? millions of people with gaming PCs who aren't even aware of the politics, they just want to buy the game.

Gamers are going to go where the good games are. Period. Tell Gaben to give us Half-life 3 or a new IP (or both).

Strong thread.

See here: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/epic-games-store-weekly-free-games-in-2020

nearly 2/3 of that was first party games ... namely fortnite, the other 1/3 is probably borderlands and metro exodus

Steam was already topping 4 billion per year as of 2017.. Epic is nowhere near that even with the colossus that is fortnite.

I agree that epic launcher is ugly, lacking features, and the exclusives are severe butt. But come on, of all the people who hate epic, how many hate Unreal Engine enough to boycott it? Probably near 0, so Epic gets paid anyway. And of the few thousand people who vocally hate epic for their behavior, there are ??? millions of people with gaming PCs who aren't even aware of the politics, they just want to buy the game.

Gamers are going to go where the good games are. Period. Tell Gaben to give us Half-life 3 or a new IP (or both).
So you're saying we should ignore our principles too because there are ignorant people? And that we should use the epic store to stick it to valve for not delivering HL3? Very mature.

So you're saying we should ignore our principles too because there are ignorant people? And that we should use the epic store to stick it to valve for not delivering HL3? Very mature.
Considering the principals don’t matter to companies like epic or steam. It really doesn’t matter what you do. They are going to continue doing whatever they think will earn them the most money

If I boycotted every company that did something I disagree with I wouldn't be able to buy anything anymore. I've given up the idea of "principles" for the most part when it comes to buying things, whether that's games or groceries (or heck, even computer hardware... not that we always have much of a choice there). I just buy it wherever it's available and wherever it's a good deal. Got Hades for $5 after the $10-off coupon, and a few other similar games for a similar price. Far lower than it was available elsewhere.

Though-- to be clear, I'm not saying everyone else should give up their principles, but just that I can understand why there are plenty of gamers giving Epic money. Not sure if pragmatic is the right word, but maybe. More power to you if you can somehow stay away from both EGS and Steam, but if that's where a game is- being able to play the game is priority #1 for me over anything else

Not sure how they derive the $251 million.

This is an entire guess on my part. I'm going to assume almost half of that $251 was from BL3.
In the most dishonest way possible -
the same "creative accounting" that pre-buys 500,000 fake copies of a game (thats how their bribe is structured - not a flat dollar amount, but as "copies" of the game). Then Epic expects the dev to turn around and press release that the game "sold" that many copies to try to create perception that EGS isn't a graveyard where games go to die.

Case in point: "Satisfactory" by Coffee Stain Studios. One minute they're complain-joking on Twitter how they've barely sold any copies, then some time later release a YouTube video that suddenly their sales stand at 507,374 copies, and thanking everyone. Like, exactly 500,000 and change (the change being the real money copies sold). Total horseshit.

Sweeney is not trustworthy.

Last edited:
Considering the principals don’t matter to companies like epic or steam. It really doesn’t matter what you do. They are going to continue doing whatever they think will earn them the most money
Considering Valve doesn't stoop as low as bribing publishers to delete games already being sold on other stores, this is total nonsense.

Epic on the other hand monitors Steams Top50 wishlisted and then spams those publishers with bribe offers to delete the game before release - often right before release so the game has enjoyed the maximum amount of free advertising on Steam. The game DARQ exposed this practice since the dev told Epic to get lost.

So it does matter. And I sure as shit won't ever give a dime to Epic as long as those scummy practices go on.

Last edited:

It's not black and white. I am not using the Epic Games Store because of the lack of basic security features, basic store functionality, and the exclusive deals. That does not mean I hate Epic as a whole. I'll gladly give developers my money if and when they release their games elsewhere. MechWarrior 5 will be a day 1 buy from me when it releases on Steam at the end of the year. But it doesn't have to release on Steam. The counter argument that is frequently used about Steam is a non-sequitur. Microsoft Store, GOG, wherever, just not Epic until they become a true competitor in the marketplace. Ironic that Epic's policy on the flip side is "anywhere but Steam" for developers on their platform to sell their games, even though every other store out there takes the same 30% cut that Steam does.

Your argument is pretty unclear. Basically you got bored with a couple of games = the storefront is terrible = every game from them from now on is crap? :rolleyes:

You can move the games, it just isn't a simple copy/paste.

You know Rockstar has a game launcher now too right?

I'm not an Epic fanboy......the launcher needs polish. I don't know why there's no cart; every purchase has to be done separately. But hey, it's just another store. As long as I can find it, buy it, and play it I don't care too much.

Yeah, in order to play the Epic version, you had to have the Epic Games client and Rockstar Launcher open. It's just another layer of unnecessary DRM to play the offline story mode. I never tried the online play. At least I know for the future to just deal with Rockstar directly, even if their launcher isn't perfect either.

if you have never heard of a game, there is no "free advertising" on steam. it just will never come up on your page. this argument is nonsense.
steam only advertises popular games, and if your game is not popular it is stuck in the trash heap.
As for indie game sales on steam the average sale amount per month is about what an individual would get working minimum wage. Yeah, that low.
Business deals are business deals. You can complain about "bribes" but that is another nonsensical argument.
For things like Metro Exodus... all the sales steam got... were honored. All the sales steam did not get... deserve nothing.
Steam is not owed anything. You want to spend your money there, fine. I still buy games on steam. Gaben appreciates your donations to his wallet.
Given a choice between game stores, I'll spend where my money does the most good, and that is through supporting the people developing the games.
I bought RDR2 from rockstar, preordered cyberpunk from gog.
you can do whatever you want, but giving steam 30% of your money is not going to produce better games - unless you like VR.

I love reading everything from the epic haters. The extreme fact twisting they make in attempt to support their viewpoint is very entertaining. I especially enjoy the attempts to link EGS to completely irrelevant phenomenon. Since I don't use Facebook I miss out on all the anti-vax entertainment, but I think this is even better.

I, personally, love the Epic Games store and the launcher client. Very clean and easy to use interface.
I've been using it since its infancy when they first (re)launched Shadow Warrior some years ago, and their client has gotten better with each revisional release.
Kudos to Epic Games for entering a seemingly monopolized market and garnering success.

I agree on not liking that I have to install another "launcher". My order of preference/purchasing decision goes: 1) check GOG 2) Check Steam 3) check everywhere else. If i want the game bad enough, I will go to option 3. Most people only care about getting the game and go straight to #3.
I like GOG, because I can keep a backup copy of the game locally.
I like Steam because they are working on making more games Linux compatible.

My main reason/argument against more and more digital storefronts is that eventually a "big" one is going to fail. Many years ago I bought a fair amount of music through the Walmart music storefront (well I was gifted money to it). That eventually folded and along with it, all of that music.
I also have a number of "Games for Windows" games, a number of which don't work (or at least are super buggy) because of Games for Windows going away.
I did not like Steam either when it first came, and wanted to stick with physical media because even years later I can still install my games (with a number of tweaks for some because they are so old). I still do not like how on Steam I could potentially lose all of the games you have purchased, especially considering all of the fraud/hacking nowadays.

The people defending EGS who keep bringing up Steam in their arguments is definitely telling of their character.

Strong thread.

it gets better than that. The vast majority is on Fortnite (ie that is propping it up, like its propping up epic). THe remaining to 3rd parties. Per Epic-Store users ( ~100Million) thats $2.50 the average epic store user spent

Installed maybe 15 or so of the free games, but I have spent $0 in the Epic store. I played Fortnite for a weekend at a friends' lan party like 2 years ago. That was it.

Note: I haven't played any of the free games other than on one weekend as mentioned above... Most are 10+ year old low budget games...

The people defending EGS who keep bringing up Steam in their arguments is definitely telling of their character.

its a store. its not a jesus store. gaben is not handing out any cash to anyone. like WTF, any time anyone complains about EGS, it always is because they are "lacking steam features" or "not available on steam" - is that a character problem also? I guess it must be.

So unfortunately because of the exclusives bullshit i've bought two games... Metro Exodus and World War Z. I have a bunch more games on EGS though because of the free games I collect constantly from there. Can't say I like the EGS b/c I have enough launchers, but it is what it is... I don't dislike it enough to actually complain about the EGS.

The whining about others hating EGS is getting just as bad, not sure why anyone cares if someone else doesn't want to use epic... stop not liking what i like damn it! :p

There was a time earlier this year when basically every other thread looked exactly like this one (not to mention also on reddit, etc.), with a fairly small group of people starting the same EGS arguments regardless of whether it was relevant to the topic. It just got very tiresome to wade through when all the rest of us wanted was some tech or games discussion.

edit: technically it was last year lol

Last edited:
like WTF, any time anyone complains about EGS, it always is because they are "lacking steam features" or "not available on steam" - is that a character problem also? I guess it must be.

While lacking features or being "another launcher" are issues the main reason people complain is because of Epic's back door deals to stop games from going to Steam at the last minute.

Back on topic. The relatively low amount of money earned despite the huge amount of users and exclusivity deals on HUGE titles goes to show just how badly people do dislike EGS.

Last edited:
it gets better than that. The vast majority is on Fortnite (ie that is propping it up, like its propping up epic). THe remaining to 3rd parties. Per Epic-Store users ( ~100Million) thats $2.50 the average epic store user spent

If this is accurate then this seems bad, so most of users are signing up for the free games only and not buying anything... I think the number of users who are choosing not to spend money on epic store is larger than we think.

They should rename the article "Gamers hate the Epic Game Store and it shows as avg user spent less than $3"

Last edited:
Back