Gamers Are Redefining What a Saturday Night Out Is About

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know the stereotypes. PC gamers live in mom’s basement. They don’t socialize. And no one’s interested in watching them play. Nope, nope and nope. In fact, while traditional neighborhood watering holes are disappearing, fast, places like AFK are popping up all over. On the East Coast, there’s Battles and Brew in Atlanta, an establishment with gaming stations and gleaming stainless steel taps that give it a look that’s somewhere between a between a high-end watering hole and a 23rd-century battleship. Howie’s Game Shack has gleaming gaming centers scattered throughout Southern California and Arizona. Chicago’s Ignite gaming lounge provides a plush place for the Windy City’s gamers. In other words, gamers have emerged from the cultural basement. And they’re bringing their chainsaws with them right into AFK co-founder Tyler Peckham’s business. “Gamer is a term that pretty much describes everybody,” the 27-year-old says as he mingles with the clientele while wearing a gray-and-black baseball cap with the NVIDIA claw logo. “It’s no longer a question of ‘Are you gamer?’ but ‘How much do you game?’”

Am I the only one who thinks that a raging gamer and getting drunk are not a good combination? Just saying.

Wife an I will typically get a bottle of two of wine at the local winery, get some snacks going and then play some call of duty or diablo or rainbow six for a saturday evening.

From the pics of the inside of that place, it seems like the body odor would make the air pretty thick in there.

Sounds like a good time. Wouldn't mind more of these up near Boston.

The rise of the multiplayer games genre can have some surprising social side effects. I don't see it as bad at all. Like the FPS & MMO games of yesteryear, just not sure how long this genre will keep being in style. Everything always has to keep changing to keep people's very fickle interest.

I thought cyber cafes were dead.

in the classical "a place to get on the internet" sense, yes of course.

but gaming centers are everywhere and excellent way to meet people with similar interests

Am I the only one who thinks that a raging gamer and getting drunk are not a good combination? Just saying.

Rage + alcohol in any situation is not a good combination. That's why there are rules for patrons, rules for servers, and Security for the establishment. No different from any other type of bar/club: "you gotta go."

i dont tend to like people who call themselves "gamers", so id probably get in a fight after insulting portal or hl2 or anything else.

or id be the one starting the fight if i had to hear "youre a gentleman and a scholar" more than once in one night.

aint goin' to no pinky-out neckbeard bar to play console/PC games.

but if they had a ton of arcade games (new and old) that you could play by having a certain blood alcohol level, id be all over it.

... always wanted that... a bar where games are free, but each game requires a certain blood alcohol level to play. you have to keep drinking to keep playing.

Had this idea for a business about 10 or so years ago, thinking about how fun LAN parties are and such, combined with the growth in gaming. Couldn't picture people actually showing up in volumes large enough to turn a profit when you can do the same thing from home. They must have pretty high electricity bills though.

i dont tend to like people who call themselves "gamers", so id probably get in a fight after insulting portal or hl2 or anything else.

or id be the one starting the fight if i had to hear "youre a gentleman and a scholar" more than once in one night.

aint goin' to no pinky-out neckbeard bar to play console/PC games.

but if they had a ton of arcade games (new and old) that you could play by having a certain blood alcohol level, id be all over it.

... always wanted that... a bar where games are free, but each game requires a certain blood alcohol level to play. you have to keep drinking to keep playing.

You're not a big fan of people in general are you? Lol

ive been there before and tbh ... it replaced a high end restaurant that barely anyone went to... so in a sense its an upgrade... it is pretty decked out but at the prices they're charging... i would much rather just unwind at home instead of at a lounge... of course i would reconsider if it was near work or near my house...

anyways cafes like this are what promote the competitive esports that some people watch and enjoy on the internet...

id be 100% down to visit frequesntly if one was by me

And horney.

OK, horney first, followed by the next stage, sleepy.

The other Dwarves, Dopey, Goofy, etc. are sorta along for the ride like good buddies tend to be.

3Select_web_MG_79321.gif

Makings of a really entertaining "Caption That Picture" contest, right there.

I actually just had to pleasure of finding Battle & Brew in Atlanta. Basically spent the weekend there. I've been to a cafe in the past and frankly it was lame. Badly lit and wreaked of BO and hot pocket farts. It was the stereotypical scene of what you'd expect of a gamers social environment.

Fast forward to Battle & Brew. They put a lot of work into this place. I will say, that I am not an avid gamer and on both occasions I didnt touch a single keyboard or controller. It was essentially a night club but dedicated to the non mainstream scene. It was pleasant to hear my kind of music instead of the typical Kanye crap. The people were all friendly and the food was delicious. All types of nerd were present there. It was nice for them to get out of moms basement and into a nice environment. Actually give them a chance to see girls. Yeah sure there were tons of tattoos and overly pierced people. But it was a nice alternative gathering spot. Conversations would range from who was the best time lord to discussing which flavor of Nix was preferred and why. Ohh and did i mention the food? Coffee bar, booze bar.

I hope that more of these kind of locations open up. Its about time.

Back